(Fun writing) Let's pretend civilisation has just been discovered!

A forum where anything goes. Introduce yourselves to other members of the forums, discuss how your name evolves when written out in the Game of Life, or just tell us how you found it. This is the forum for "non-academic" content.
Haycat2009

Re: (Fun writing) Let's pretend civilisation has just been discovered!

Post by Haycat2009 » January 11th, 2024, 12:04 am

Para wrote:
January 10th, 2024, 11:58 pm
Haycat2009 wrote:
January 10th, 2024, 11:56 pm
The yellow stuff, turns out is rarer than I thought. I sifted the whole day but only found one lump. The tiny copper tool, as we realised, is too fragile to be made to a pick axe, so I decided to find something else. There is a seam of green rock with mesmerising circles in it. Soon we dig it out, burn it and make more copper tools. The pickaxe, however, still deforms.
OOC: What does "We" refer to here? Do, say, Boka, me, you, b-engine, haaaands, and hotcrystal all live in the same general area/settlement, or do we live seperately?
All of us live together in a cave. Privacy is not our concern.
~ Haycat Durnak, a hard-working editor
Also, support Conway and Friends story mode!
I mean no harm to those who have tested me. But do not take this for granted.

Para

Post by Para » January 11th, 2024, 12:06 am

Haycat2009 wrote:
January 11th, 2024, 12:04 am
Para wrote:
Haycat2009 wrote:
January 10th, 2024, 11:56 pm
The yellow stuff, turns out is rarer than I thought. I sifted the whole day but only found one lump. The tiny copper tool, as we realised, is too fragile to be made to a pick axe, so I decided to find something else. There is a seam of green rock with mesmerising circles in it. Soon we dig it out, burn it and make more copper tools. The pickaxe, however, still deforms.
OOC: What does "We" refer to here? Do, say, Boka, me, you, b-engine, haaaands, and hotcrystal all live in the same general area/settlement, or do we live seperately?
However BokaBB in the first post states "at my home", thus this isn't probably an accurate view of the situation. Until a move to cities is made, there should be no assumption of shared dwellings. (we should continue this in PMs)

Code: Select all

x = 9, y = 19, rule = B3-qy4e5j6i/S2-cn3-k4i
3$3bo$2b3o2$3bo$4b2o4$3bo$2b2o!

Haycat2009

Post by Haycat2009 » January 11th, 2024, 12:11 am

Para wrote:
January 11th, 2024, 12:06 am
Haycat2009 wrote:
January 11th, 2024, 12:04 am
Para wrote:

However BokaBB in the first post states "at my home", thus this isn't probably an accurate view of the situation. Until a move to cities is made, there should be no assumption of shared dwellings. (we should continue this in PMs)
When civilisation had been discovered, people lived communally in tribes, so we ought to be consistent. I teach history, so I know.

BokaBB

Post by BokaBB » January 11th, 2024, 11:00 am

Hi, being the moderator here I feel an urge to respond.
I agree fully with Para, b-engine is going on with the stuff too fast. It's not the way. At the amounts Para had discovered copper in it would take a whole lot of rock, time and effort for anything resembling a tool.
I agree with Haycat's gold finding method, I'll count him as the discoverer of gold.
Speaking of habitation, we do not live in a cave. People have actually never been into caves big-time, only for religious, emergency and similar purposes. Probably something like the sacred caves of Crete.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacred_caves_of_Crete
We instead live in a river valley. What's beyond it doesn't currently matter. About the distance between us, we live close enough that the inventions spread fast and we can travel to each other in not too long. We have no reason to specify it better until we have cities.
And Para is indeed correct about him being a thread moderator. Me and Para are the official moderators.
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!

Sure, I was a bad person, but I have changed myself.
I'd love to befriend anybody who's interested.
Have a good day!

BokaBB

Haycat2009

Post by Haycat2009 » January 11th, 2024, 10:02 pm

So we live in a large tribe in a River Valley, where there is a mountain where copper can be obtained from.

Soon, I figured out that fish can be easily caught be throwing leaves into the water and waiting for the fish to float up. It is a neat trick, and we can secure our survival.

While eating, I see a wolf following us throughout. I decide to feed it.

Para

Post by Para » January 11th, 2024, 10:14 pm

Haycat2009 wrote:
January 11th, 2024, 10:02 pm
So we live in a large tribe in a River Valley, where there is a mountain where copper can be obtained from.

Soon, I figured out that fish can be easily caught be throwing leaves into the water and waiting for the fish to float up. It is a neat trick, and we can secure our survival.

OOC: Oh by the way, the posts in Rediscovering aren't in a storytelling style, more of a personal way (as in "Hey guys, look! If we throw leaves into the water, then eventually fish float up and we can eat them!" yes i know its a bad example ok). Rediscovering CGOL is a good example. Now to contribute something:

Hmm... I think we're going to need a *lot* of green or blue rocks to get enough copper to make a tool. We only get a little bit from each piece, and I think we're going to need huge slabs and giant fires to get enough to make even a small tool. It should be stronger than the stone and wood tools we have right now though.

Haycat2009

Post by Haycat2009 » January 11th, 2024, 10:39 pm

Para wrote:
January 11th, 2024, 10:14 pm
Haycat2009 wrote:
January 11th, 2024, 10:02 pm

OOC: Oh by the way, the posts in Rediscovering aren't in a storytelling style, more of a personal way (as in "Hey guys, look! If we throw leaves into the water, then eventually fish float up and we can eat them!" yes i know its a bad example ok). Rediscovering CGOL is a good example. Now to contribute something:

Hmm... I think we're going to need a *lot* of green or blue rocks to get enough copper to make a tool. We only get a little bit from each piece, and I think we're going to need huge slabs and giant fires to get enough to make even a small tool. It should be stronger than the stone and wood tools we have right now though.
Well, we have found three veins of that stuff in the hill behind us. There could be more! Trees grow in plenty, and grass makes good fuel if you fan at it.

haaaaaands

Post by haaaaaands » January 12th, 2024, 2:19 pm

duuuuuuuude.
i found this other shiny thing, and combined with copper it makes something golden!
what do we call it? i thought of naming the alloy "bronze", but idk what to name the shiny thing i found lying around
-- haaaaaands with 6 a's

my hands are typing words!

currently offline. work sucks.

BokaBB

Post by BokaBB » January 15th, 2024, 9:48 am

I don't think we have the appropriate kilns to smelt copper and tin (you made a mistake; zinc is used in brass instead) yet. Para's been inactive for a few days; once he returns I'll solve this with him.
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!

Have a good day!

BokaBB

haaaaaands

Post by haaaaaands » January 15th, 2024, 12:18 pm

BokaBB wrote:
January 15th, 2024, 9:48 am
copper and tin (you made a mistake; zinc is used in brass instead)
whoops, my bad
i shouldve paid more attention in chemistry class
-- haaaaaands with 6 a's

Haycat2009

Post by Haycat2009 » January 15th, 2024, 9:45 pm

I have just trained the wolf that followed us all the way - now it can hunt small game. The copper tools are nice and all, but the deformation is still a problem.

BokaBB

Post by BokaBB » January 16th, 2024, 8:01 am

Haycat2009 wrote:
January 15th, 2024, 9:45 pm
I have just trained the wolf that followed us all the way - now it can hunt small game. The copper tools are nice and all, but the deformation is still a problem.
Dog domestication oredates agriculture and I had assumed it present at the beginning.
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!

Have a good day!

BokaBB

Haycat2009

Post by Haycat2009 » January 16th, 2024, 7:44 pm

BokaBB wrote:
January 16th, 2024, 8:01 am
Haycat2009 wrote:
January 15th, 2024, 9:45 pm
Dog domestication oredates agriculture and I had assumed it present at the beginning.
It happened independently at different places at different times. I assume this period to be a transition period where some tribes are training wolves, while some are not

(By the way, there are many more directions to go.)

haaaaaands

Post by haaaaaands » January 17th, 2024, 1:38 pm

guys
ive decided to make a couple squiggles in a tree and derived them...
now each one corresponds to a sound
im so proud of this
-- haaaaaands with 6 a's

Para

Post by Para » January 18th, 2024, 8:28 pm

haaaaaands wrote:
January 17th, 2024, 1:38 pm
guys
ive decided to make a couple squiggles in a tree and derived them...
now each one corresponds to a sound
im so proud of this
OOC: Unfortunately, written language did not just emerge like this. Language began as pictograms or graphical representations of what they are conveying, not directly to a logogram/alphabet system.

About the dog thing, domestication began in about 20,000 BC, which is far before the ~3500 BC this timeline is currently in.

Haycat2009

Post by Haycat2009 » January 18th, 2024, 10:35 pm

The tin, when left to freeze, turns into powder. What should we use it for?

(By the way, you claimed that now was 3500BC aka when Tin was found. See https://www.makin-metals.com/history-of ... n%20Turkey.)

BokaBB

Post by BokaBB » February 4th, 2024, 7:27 pm

(Time to unfreeze this long standoff.

No, tin wasn't isolated immediately. It, as well as bronze overall, was first found as a trace component of copper ores that wasn't isolated for a while.

About 3500 BC, I say slightly older. We don't have a word about cities occurring yet, so, while we can theoretically assume it happened in the background, we shouldn't for it's super major.

Now more generally. No partisanship is allowed here. We will have one and just one timeline and all who attempt to retcon events without a good reason will be officially condemned and if needed 'banned' (not really, but I'd write a list of banned people in the first post whose posts would be ignored). I however do not aim to be a dictator aiming for supremacy of my opinion purely based on me being the founder.

All advances must be systematic, realistically paced, gradual, well-educated as to how did they happen in real life, though not necessarily exactly ordered in respect to the real events (e.g. the Norte Chico civilization had pyramids before pottery), albeit such actions require asking about them publicly first to see if there's a consensus it could work and be interesting. It's also encouraged to make the thing a little more dialogue-based and with ideas and suggestions being put on the table before any in-game discovery work, of the type 'I wonder is it possible to make a flying machine?'.

If you don't know much about at least the current period the game happens to be in, please don't participate. Bad history could cause a lot of harm here.

Please also put out-of-universe comments in brackets to clearly differentiate them from those in-universe.)
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!

Have a good day!

BokaBB

rutabaga

Post by rutabaga » February 11th, 2024, 3:44 pm

(I just want to say, we don't need to discover everything in order. I agree with BokaBB and Para that we shouldn't be discovering things at lightspeed, but in the CGOL version, for example, the HWSS and Pulsar were both discovered before the glider.)

x=4, y=9, rule=1e234j/3-j/6
.2A3$2A$A.EA$.BEA$2.C$.B2C$2.2A!
i'm back! here have a p12

haaaaaands

Post by haaaaaands » February 15th, 2024, 11:42 am

guys
i found out how the sun wor-- just kidding :)
now, more seriously, i just discovered that there's this place between the tigris and the euphrates where they invented something called "money"
why don't we do the same?
-- haaaaaands with 6 a's

BokaBB

Post by BokaBB » February 15th, 2024, 12:04 pm

haaaaaands wrote:
February 15th, 2024, 11:42 am
guys
i found out how the sun wor-- just kidding :)
now, more seriously, i just discovered that there's this place between the tigris and the euphrates where they invented something called "money"
why don't we do the same?
Nah, sounds like a bad idea. We can just exchange stuff. Why give value to meaningless pieces of yellow metal that's totally useless for anything?
(Also, Mesopotamia isn't a thing here, we're on an alternate Earth.)
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!

Have a good day!

BokaBB

haaaaaands

Post by haaaaaands » February 18th, 2024, 8:34 am

(oh right, i forgot this is an alternate timeline and thus mesopotamia isnt here)
-- haaaaaands with 6 a's

Value1

Post by Value1 » May 2nd, 2024, 5:29 pm

Help guys, I tried collecting some interesting looking plants, and then my arms and hands started getting red and hurting :(

UPDATE: I stepped on some spiky looking plant and it broke and this clearish liquid came out. At this point I'd do anything to stop the itching, so I tried putting it on my arm and surprisingly, it got much better :D This plant might be useful for other things too...
Thanks,
- Value1

https://bit.ly/sub2value1

Haycat2009

Post by Haycat2009 » May 3rd, 2024, 12:15 am

I remember the tree with itchy sap and collect some sap with a leaf before throwing it in the water. Several fish float up, ready to collect. Value1's intresting plants's leaves, surprisingly, also work for the "toss-and-collect thing". I think I will fish with this method.

See the wikipedia page on Fish toxins: Suffice to say that it has been used for millenia.

Also, was I the first to invent environmental pollution? (Oops!)