I think I have found my artistic calling!

A forum where anything goes. Introduce yourselves to other members of the forums, discuss how your name evolves when written out in the Game of Life, or just tell us how you found it. This is the forum for "non-academic" content.
pcallahan

I think I have found my artistic calling!

Post by pcallahan » January 30th, 2024, 2:46 pm

Here's an NYT article (gift link) about a man who makes ice sculptures intended to be melted on receipt. https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/30/styl ... =url-share

It reminds me that during my many attempts to make puzzle tiles (e.g. CGOL still life and Penrose) I found that it is a lot simpler to make ice tiles in a silicone mold than resin tiles. The water has low viscosity, less meniscus, it is nearly free and totally safe to use.

The downside is that these tilings can only be assembled in subfreezing conditions. I was thinking of this as a major blocker, but now I see my blindspot. If I could purchase or rent a walk-in freezer, I would have a space both to make and assemble tiles. Then I could ship these with a certificate of authenticity and perhaps some video evidence to customers who would pay for my art.

Well, ChatGPT 4 sees promise here:

Your idea of creating and selling ice tile puzzles, inspired by the concept of ephemeral art, is intriguing and has a unique charm. The use of ice as a medium for puzzle tiles, such as those based on the Conways Game of Life (CGOL) still life or Penrose tilings, introduces an interesting blend of art, science, and nature. Here are some considerations and potential steps you might take to explore this career change:

Artistic Value
Ephemerality: The temporary nature of ice sculptures adds a unique aspect to your art, emphasizing themes like impermanence and change. This can resonate deeply with audiences and collectors who appreciate art that challenges traditional notions of longevity and preservation.
Innovation: Using ice for puzzle tiles is a novel approach that can set your work apart in the art world, potentially attracting attention from galleries, collectors, and the media.

Technical Considerations
Production Environment: Investing in or renting a walk-in freezer is a viable idea for both production and assembly. You'd need to ensure that the space is suitable for your work, considering factors like temperature control, humidity, and space for filming.
Shipping and Handling: Shipping ice sculptures poses challenges, but with proper insulation and refrigeration technology (e.g., dry ice, insulated shipping containers), it's feasible. This aspect of your business would require careful planning to ensure that the art reaches the buyer in its intended form.

Documentation: High-quality video documentation and certificates of authenticity are excellent ways to add value to your art, allowing buyers to appreciate the work even after it has melted. This could also include time-lapse videos of the melting process, showcasing the transient beauty of your creations.

Market and Audience

Niche Market: Your creations would likely appeal to a niche market of art collectors, enthusiasts of puzzle art, and those interested in unique, experiential art pieces. Researching and reaching out to this audience will be crucial.
Exhibitions and Collaborations: Participating in art exhibitions, especially those focusing on contemporary or experimental art, could provide valuable exposure. Collaborating with galleries, museums, or event organizers could also open up opportunities for public installations or performances.
Financial and Business Considerations

Cost Analysis: Evaluate the costs involved in production, storage, shipping, and marketing against the potential price point of your art. Consider creating a business plan to assess the viability of this career change.
Marketing and Sales: Developing a strong online presence, through a dedicated website and social media platforms, can help showcase your work and connect with potential buyers. Exploring online art marketplaces and galleries might also be beneficial.

Personal Fulfillment and Growth

Passion and Skill: Pursuing a career that aligns with your interests and skills can be deeply fulfilling. If this venture excites you and taps into your creative strengths, it's worth exploring.

Learning and Adaptation: Be prepared for a learning curve and the need to adapt your strategies based on feedback and market demand. Engaging with the art community and potential customers can provide valuable insights.

This career change offers a blend of artistic expression, innovation, and challenge. If you're passionate about this idea and willing to navigate the logistical and market-related hurdles, it could be a rewarding path. Consider starting with a small-scale project to test the waters and gather feedback before fully committing to this new direction.