The Hunt for a Tiny Diagonal Spaceship (Unsuccessful)

For discussion of specific patterns or specific families of patterns, both newly-discovered and well-known.
Alexey_Nigin

Re: The Hunt for a Tiny Diagonal Spaceship

Post by Alexey_Nigin » March 22nd, 2016, 7:06 am

Thank you all!
drc wrote:How about an orthogonal search?
I have done a small one.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » March 22nd, 2016, 9:44 am

thunk wrote:Because I have plenty of impatience and spare cpu cycles, I went ahead and searched some of the spaces reserved by others. Apologies to bullet51, dvgrn, and muzik:
#6, #133-143 is empty; #172, #174, #175 only have trivial p5+p2 oscillator combinations.
I'm traveling this week, so thanks for taking over #133-143 for me.

It still seems just slightly worrisome that CopperSearch would throw away interesting things like diagonal c/8 or c/15 spaceships without reporting them. I suppose if a more efficient search program is set up to run a diagonal search with a few more bits added, then it will naturally re-search the smaller space and notice anything that was missed.

Of course there most likely isn't anything... but something new and amazing is sure to show up at some number of bits.

BlinkerSpawn

Post by BlinkerSpawn » March 22nd, 2016, 10:07 am

dvgrn wrote:It still seems just slightly worrisome that CopperSearch would throw away interesting things like diagonal c/8 or c/15 spaceships without reporting them. I suppose if a more efficient search program is set up to run a diagonal search with a few more bits added, then it will naturally re-search the smaller space and notice anything that was missed.

Of course there most likely isn't anything... but something new and amazing is sure to show up at some number of bits.
Speaking of which, biggiemac, how's this coming along?
biggiemac wrote:I'll give it some time this weekend. I think I can build from apgnano. Dare I expand the box of interest, perhaps to 37 cells?
LifeWiki: Like Wikipedia but with more spaceships. [citation needed]

biggiemac

Post by biggiemac » March 22nd, 2016, 12:29 pm

BlinkerSpawn wrote:biggiemac, how's this coming along?
biggiemac wrote:I'll give it some time this weekend. I think I can build from apgnano. Dare I expand the box of interest, perhaps to 37 cells?
When I saw v0.4 had achieved a bigger speed up than I think apgnano would have given it, I refocused my efforts to running it instead of writing it. But I will maybe at least start looking at what can be built from apgmera this week.
Physics: sophistication from simplicity.

calcyman

Re: The Hunt for a Tiny Diagonal Spaceship (Unsuccessful)

Post by calcyman » March 22nd, 2016, 3:11 pm

biggiemac wrote:When I saw v0.4 had achieved a bigger speed up than I think apgnano would have given it, I refocused my efforts to running it instead of writing it. But I will maybe at least start looking at what can be built from apgmera this week.
The life-simulating algorithm in apgmera is in the file "vlife.h" (which #includes "params.h" together with a bunch of lifeasm-* and lifelogic-* files for different instruction sets). It contains an example program which runs the methuselah Lidka for 30k generations in 45ms -- by comparison, Golly's QuickLife is about three times slower (owing to the fact that vlife is explicitly compiled for the specific rule, whereas qlife resorts to using a lookup table) and HashLife even more so.

This Lidka example program can be called from apgmera's root directory by executing the file "vlifetest.cpp". (Yes, you read that correctly -- the file is simultaneously valid C++ source code and a valid executable Bash script which compiles and executes itself as a C++ program!)
What do you do with ill crystallographers? Take them to the mono-clinic!

Hdjensofjfnen

Re: The Hunt for a Tiny Diagonal Spaceship (Unsuccessful)

Post by Hdjensofjfnen » August 2nd, 2018, 9:20 pm

Anyone know how to hack this for different speeds?
I suppose it's something to do with line 388 to 400, specifically 394?

Code: Select all

for i:=1 to 41 do
      begin
        Step;
        if Compare then
          begin
            if (((Offset.X <> 0) or (Offset.Y <> 0)) and (i <> 4)) or
             (not (i in [1,2,3,4,5,6,8,15])) then    // Change for debug
              Save(EternalN,i);
              Break;
          end;
      end;