Incomplete search patterns - try to complete

For discussion of specific patterns or specific families of patterns, both newly-discovered and well-known.
User avatar
dvgrn
Moderator
Posts: 5888
Joined: May 17th, 2009, 11:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Incomplete search patterns - try to complete

Post by dvgrn » November 13th, 2018, 4:48 pm

Sokwe wrote:
wildmyron wrote:
HartmutHolzwart wrote:here is a vexing 2c/6 component
This is the best I've come up with... Incidentally it is only weakly interacting and if it were to be completed it would be an independent 2c/6 spaceship as well as supporting the wave.
Oh, it only takes a simple p6 spark? Then there is probably a known 2c/6 ship that will do the trick. Look through the four files labeled ships-c3-p6 here.
Aha, yes, that makes it easy:
x = 136, y = 69, rule = B3/S23
12bo110bo$11b3o108b3o$10bo3bo106bo3bo$11b3o108b3o$10b5o106b5o$9b2o3b2o
104b2o3b2o$7bo9bo100bo9bo$5b3o9b3o96b3o9b3o$b2ob2o4bo3bo4b2ob2o88b2ob
2o4bo3bo4b2ob2o$b2o2bo2bob2ob2obo2bo2b2o88b2o2bo2bob2ob2obo2bo2b2o$o2b
o6b2ob2o6bo2bo86bo2bo6b2ob2o6bo2bo$9b2o3b2o104b2o3b2o2$8bo2b3o2bo102bo
2b3o2bo$7b11o100b11o$7b2obo3bob2o100b2obo3bob2o2$11b3o108b3o$10b2ob2o
106b2ob2o$9bobobobo104bobobobo$7bob2o3b2obo100bob2o3b2obo$6b3o7b3o98b
3o7b3o$6bo3bo3bo3bo98bo3bo3bo3bo$5b3o9b3o96b3o9b3o$6bo11bo98bo11bo$6b
4o2bo2b4o98b4o2bo2b4o$8b2obobob2o102b2obobob2o$10b2ob2o106b2ob2o2$10b
2ob2o106b2ob2o$11bobo108bobo$11bobo108bobo$9b3ob3o104b3ob3o$10b2ob2o
106b2ob2o$8b2obobob2o102b2obobob2o$7bo3bobo3bo100bo3bobo3bo$6b2o9b2o
98b2o9b2o$11bobo12bo10bo12bo10bo12bo10bo12bo10bo12bobo$5bobobo5bobobo
4bob2o8b2obo8bob2o8b2obo8bob2o8b2obo8bob2o8b2obo4bobobo5bobobo$4bo15bo
b2o4b2ob2ob2o4b2o4b2o4b2ob2ob2o4b2o4b2o4b2ob2ob2o4b2o4b2o4b2ob2ob2o4b
2obo15bo$8bob2ob2obo5bo4b3ob2ob3o4bob2obo4b3ob2ob3o4bob2obo4b3ob2ob3o
4bob2obo4b3ob2ob3o4bo5bob2ob2obo$8b4ob4o5bo18bob2obo18bob2obo18bob2obo
18bo5b4ob4o$6bo3bo3bo3bo4bo16bo6bo16bo6bo16bo6bo16bo4bo3bo3bo3bo$7b3o
5b3o100b3o5b3o$10b2ob2o106b2ob2o$7bo9bo100bo9bo$7bo3bobo3bo100bo3bobo
3bo$10bo3bo106bo3bo$6b2obo5bob2o98b2obo5bob2o$5bob2o7b2obo96bob2o7b2ob
o$8bo7bo102bo7bo$6bo2bo5bo2bo98bo2bo5bo2bo2$7b3o5b3o100b3o5b3o$9bo5bo
104bo5bo2$7bo2bo3bo2bo100bo2bo3bo2bo$7bob2o3b2obo100bob2o3b2obo$9bo5bo
104bo5bo3$6b4o5b4o98b4o5b4o$6bobo2bobo2bobo98bobo2bobo2bobo$7bo3bobo3b
o100bo3bobo3bo$9bobobobo104bobobobo$7b2ob2ob2ob2o100b2ob2ob2ob2o$10b2o
b2o106b2ob2o$11bobo108bobo$12bo110bo!
#C [[ WIDTH 656 THEME 4 AUTOSTART THUMBNAIL THUMBSIZE 2 GPS 6 TRACK 0 -1/3 ]]
I'm not sure that's the smallest ship that can support that 2c/6 wave, but I found by experiment that most of the hopeful-looking slightly weaker sparks didn't seem to be good enough.

HartmutHolzwart
Posts: 422
Joined: June 27th, 2009, 10:58 am
Location: Germany

Re: Incomplete search patterns - try to complete

Post by HartmutHolzwart » November 19th, 2018, 8:42 am

Thanks to you all for your support! Trying to find something smaller was without success so far, but I plan to pick this up on and off.

Generally speaking, short wide 2c/6 parts would be helpful in supporting a hypothetical 2c/6 against-the-grain grey ship. No breakthrough there as well.

User avatar
cvojan
Posts: 130
Joined: October 7th, 2018, 7:07 pm

Re: Incomplete search patterns - try to complete

Post by cvojan » December 9th, 2018, 1:16 pm

Some unpromising knightship partials :

Code: Select all

x = 10, y = 9, rule = B3/S23
6bo2bo$4bo3bo$2bo2bo$2bob2obo$bo4b3o$bo2bo2b2o$5b3o$2bo3b2o$3b3o!

Code: Select all

x = 10, y = 11, rule = B3/S23
6o2bo$6b2obo$3bo$4bo$2b2o4b2o$bob2o3b2o$bobo$2b2o2b2o$4bo3bo$4bo2bo$4b
2o!
'sup.

User avatar
Kazyan
Posts: 866
Joined: February 6th, 2014, 11:02 pm

Re: Incomplete search patterns - try to complete

Post by Kazyan » December 11th, 2018, 9:13 pm

Successful bait reconstruction--can anyone get a clean signal out of the explosion?

Code: Select all

x = 36, y = 29, rule = B3/S23
bo$2bo$3o9$30b2o$30b2o3$34b2o$34bo$8b2o22bobo$7bobo22b2o$7bo$6b2o8b2o$
16b2o$32b2o$32bobo$34bo$34b2o2$24b2o$24b2o!
EDIT: Found one solution and posted it in the Elementary Conduits thread; feel free to investigate for better ones.
Tanner Jacobi

User avatar
Extrementhusiast
Posts: 1797
Joined: June 16th, 2009, 11:24 pm
Location: USA

Re: Incomplete search patterns - try to complete

Post by Extrementhusiast » December 28th, 2018, 7:43 pm

With the first P8 case from the list in this post in the Oscillator Discussion Thread, I found a way to reduce it to P4 within a remarkably short space:

Code: Select all

x = 156, y = 16, rule = LifeHistory
2B3F11B4.2B3F11B4.2B3F11B4.2B3F11B4.2B3F11B4.2B3F11B4.2B3F11B4.2B3F
11B$2B2A12B4.2BABA11B4.16B4.16B4.16B4.16B4.16B4.16B$16B4.16B4.16B4.
16B4.16B4.16B4.16B4.3BA12B$2B2A12B4.16B4.16B4.3BA12B4.16B4.3BA12B4.2B
3A11B4.3BA12B$11B9.2B2A6B.B8.2B3A6B9.3BA8B8.2B3A6B9.2B3A5B.B8.11B9.2B
A9B$3BA5BAB9.3B2A5B10.9BA10.2BABA3B2AB9.3BA5BAB9.2B2ABA4B10.2BA6BA10.
8B2AB$3B2ABA2BAB9.3B2A3B2A10.2BA2BA2B2A10.6B4AB9.5B2A2BAB9.8B2A10.4BA
BAB2A10.3B2AB4AB$9BA10.3B2A2BAB11.6B2A3B9.6B2A3B9.9BA10.5BABAB11.4B2A
BA3B9.4B2ABA3B$3BA3B2AB10.4BAB2AB11.7BAB11.7BA2BA9.5BAB2AB10.4B2ABAB
11.7BAB11.4BA2BA2BA$4B2ABABA10.4B2ABABA10.3BA3BAB11.4B2ABA2B10.4B2ABA
BA10.4B2ABABA10.3BA3BAB11.4B2ABA2B$5BAB13.4B2A2BA11.4B4A2B10.5BABA12.
5BAB13.4B2A2BA11.4B4A2B10.5BABA$6B14.8BA11.3B2A2BA2B10.3BA3B13.6B14.
8BA11.3B2A2BA2B10.3BA3B$2B2A2B2.A11.2B2A3B13.3BA3B13.2B2.B.B13.2B2A2B
2.A11.2B2A3B13.3BA3B13.2B2.B.B$2B2A2B14.4BAB14.2B2.A15.2B3.B14.2B2A2B
14.4BAB14.2B2.A15.2B3.B$3BA2B14.2B18.2B18.2B18.3BA2B14.2B18.2B18.2B$
2B18.2B18.2B18.2B18.2B18.2B18.2B18.2B!
(.jdf files are apparently unable to be uploaded here.)

This is a combination of partials that can all be continued for seven more cells south and east. Unfortunately, the resulting P4 section looks to be quite large. (It's probably possible to reduce it by introducing a mirror image as in the original partial, but this form could end up being more useful on its own.)

(Of course, one could also start over and explore a completely different branch of the search tree.)
I Like My Heisenburps! (and others)

Sokwe
Moderator
Posts: 1480
Joined: July 9th, 2009, 2:44 pm

Re: Incomplete search patterns - try to complete

Post by Sokwe » December 30th, 2018, 8:04 am

Extrementhusiast wrote:.jdf files are apparently unable to be uploaded here.
Put it in a .zip archive.
-Matthias Merzenich

User avatar
Entity Valkyrie
Posts: 247
Joined: November 30th, 2017, 3:30 am

Re: Incomplete search patterns - try to complete

Post by Entity Valkyrie » December 31st, 2018, 5:13 am

MikeP wrote:So this is where all the Life discussion goes on!

My catalyst searcher found this interesting pi-heptomino reaction a couple of years ago. Maybe someone can do something useful with the spark.

Code: Select all

x = 18, y = 23, rule = B3/S23
13bo$12bo$12b3o8$2o$2o2$15b2o$14bo2bo$15b3o2$10bo2b3o$10b4o2bo$5bobo7b
o$5b2obo3b3o$8bo3bo$8b2o!
Almost useful:

Code: Select all

x = 32, y = 25, rule = B3/S23
10bo11b2o$9bobo10b2o$bo3b2o2bobo$obo2bo2b2ob2o14bo$obo3bobo16b2o$bob4o
2bob2o13b2o$3bo3bobob2o$2bo3bobo$bo3bobo$b2o3bo3$14b2o$14b2o2$29b2o$
28bo2bo$29b3o2$24bo2b3o$24b4o2bo$19bobo7bo$19b2obo3b3o$22bo3bo$22b2o!
#C [[ STOP 116 ]]
But the BLOCK was off by ONE CELL!

simeks
Posts: 369
Joined: March 11th, 2015, 12:03 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: Incomplete search patterns - try to complete

Post by simeks » December 31st, 2018, 10:33 am

Entity Valkyrie wrote:
MikeP wrote:So this is where all the Life discussion goes on!

My catalyst searcher found this interesting pi-heptomino reaction a couple of years ago. Maybe someone can do something useful with the spark.

Code: Select all

x = 18, y = 23, rule = B3/S23
13bo$12bo$12b3o8$2o$2o2$15b2o$14bo2bo$15b3o2$10bo2b3o$10b4o2bo$5bobo7b
o$5b2obo3b3o$8bo3bo$8b2o!
Almost useful:

Code: Select all

x = 32, y = 25, rule = B3/S23
10bo11b2o$9bobo10b2o$bo3b2o2bobo$obo2bo2b2ob2o14bo$obo3bobo16b2o$bob4o
2bob2o13b2o$3bo3bobob2o$2bo3bobo$bo3bobo$b2o3bo3$14b2o$14b2o2$29b2o$
28bo2bo$29b3o2$24bo2b3o$24b4o2bo$19bobo7bo$19b2obo3b3o$22bo3bo$22b2o!
#C [[ STOP 116 ]]
But the BLOCK was off by ONE CELL!
Thanks for digging up that old post, that's very interesting!

This of course is the Syringe, just with the input glider from the wrong direction:

Code: Select all

x = 32, y = 25, rule = LifeHistory
8.2C$5.C3.C$3.3C3.C.2C$2.C7.C.C$.C2.4C$2.3C2.C2$3C8.A$C2.C5.A.A$.2C7.
2A$16.2E$16.2E4$25.A3.2A$24.A.A3.A$23.A.A3.A$19.2A.A.A3.A$19.2A.A2.4A
.A$23.A.A3.A.A$19.2A.2A2.A2.A.A$20.A.A2.2A3.A$8.2A10.A.A$8.2A11.A!
Can't believe Mike Playle was this close to finding Syringe already in october 2007, and then presenting it in this form in his very first post on this forum! (see here and here)

User avatar
Entity Valkyrie
Posts: 247
Joined: November 30th, 2017, 3:30 am

Re: Incomplete search patterns - try to complete

Post by Entity Valkyrie » January 6th, 2019, 2:19 am

simeks wrote:
Entity Valkyrie wrote:
MikeP wrote:So this is where all the Life discussion goes on!

My catalyst searcher found this interesting pi-heptomino reaction a couple of years ago. Maybe someone can do something useful with the spark.

Code: Select all

x = 18, y = 23, rule = B3/S23
13bo$12bo$12b3o8$2o$2o2$15b2o$14bo2bo$15b3o2$10bo2b3o$10b4o2bo$5bobo7b
o$5b2obo3b3o$8bo3bo$8b2o!
Almost useful:

Code: Select all

x = 32, y = 25, rule = B3/S23
10bo11b2o$9bobo10b2o$bo3b2o2bobo$obo2bo2b2ob2o14bo$obo3bobo16b2o$bob4o
2bob2o13b2o$3bo3bobob2o$2bo3bobo$bo3bobo$b2o3bo3$14b2o$14b2o2$29b2o$
28bo2bo$29b3o2$24bo2b3o$24b4o2bo$19bobo7bo$19b2obo3b3o$22bo3bo$22b2o!
#C [[ STOP 116 ]]
But the BLOCK was off by ONE CELL!
Thanks for digging up that old post, that's very interesting!

This of course is the Syringe, just with the input glider from the wrong direction:

Code: Select all

x = 32, y = 25, rule = LifeHistory
8.2C$5.C3.C$3.3C3.C.2C$2.C7.C.C$.C2.4C$2.3C2.C2$3C8.A$C2.C5.A.A$.2C7.
2A$16.2E$16.2E4$25.A3.2A$24.A.A3.A$23.A.A3.A$19.2A.A.A3.A$19.2A.A2.4A
.A$23.A.A3.A.A$19.2A.2A2.A2.A.A$20.A.A2.2A3.A$8.2A10.A.A$8.2A11.A!
Can't believe Mike Playle was this close to finding Syringe already in october 2007, and then presenting it in this form in his very first post on this forum! (see here and here)
I was indeed looking to see if I could use that to complete the Syringe but in the other direction.

This is the CLOSEST I got to a P41:

Code: Select all

x = 73, y = 21, rule = B3/S23
20bo31bo$20bo31bo$20bo31bo2$o71bo$3o67b3o$3bo65bo$2bo13bo7bo23bo7bo13b
o$2b2o10b2ob2o3b2ob2o19b2ob2o3b2ob2o10b2o$16bo7bo23bo7bo2$16bo7bo23bo
7bo$2b2o10b2ob2o3b2ob2o19b2ob2o3b2ob2o10b2o$2bo13bo7bo23bo7bo13bo$3bo
65bo$3o67b3o$o71bo2$20bo31bo$20bo31bo$20bo31bo!
#C [[ STOP 27 ]]
It hassled the P51 in the right way, but the hook with tail is just too obstructive. Maybe Bellman can help?

EDIT: It's P41.

EDIT: Can the Eater 4 be replaced with something else less obstructive?

Code: Select all

x = 21, y = 23, rule = B3/S23
5b2o$6bo$5bo$5b2o2b2o$8bobo$3b4obo$3bo2bob2o3$3b2o$3bo6b2o3b2o$2obo7b
2o2b2o$o2b2o5bo$b2o4bo$3b5o$3bo4b2o$4b2o2bo10b2o$6bobo11bo$6bobobo2bo
3b3o$7b2ob4o3bo$9bo$9bobo$10b2o!
#C [[ STOP 57 ]]

Hunting
Posts: 1117
Joined: September 11th, 2017, 2:54 am
Location: Ponyville, Equestria

Re: Incomplete search patterns - try to complete

Post by Hunting » January 6th, 2019, 2:51 am

Entity Valkyrie wrote:
simeks wrote:
Entity Valkyrie wrote:
Almost useful:

Code: Select all

x = 32, y = 25, rule = B3/S23
10bo11b2o$9bobo10b2o$bo3b2o2bobo$obo2bo2b2ob2o14bo$obo3bobo16b2o$bob4o
2bob2o13b2o$3bo3bobob2o$2bo3bobo$bo3bobo$b2o3bo3$14b2o$14b2o2$29b2o$
28bo2bo$29b3o2$24bo2b3o$24b4o2bo$19bobo7bo$19b2obo3b3o$22bo3bo$22b2o!
#C [[ STOP 116 ]]
But the BLOCK was off by ONE CELL!
Thanks for digging up that old post, that's very interesting!

This of course is the Syringe, just with the input glider from the wrong direction:

Code: Select all

x = 32, y = 25, rule = LifeHistory
8.2C$5.C3.C$3.3C3.C.2C$2.C7.C.C$.C2.4C$2.3C2.C2$3C8.A$C2.C5.A.A$.2C7.
2A$16.2E$16.2E4$25.A3.2A$24.A.A3.A$23.A.A3.A$19.2A.A.A3.A$19.2A.A2.4A
.A$23.A.A3.A.A$19.2A.2A2.A2.A.A$20.A.A2.2A3.A$8.2A10.A.A$8.2A11.A!
Can't believe Mike Playle was this close to finding Syringe already in october 2007, and then presenting it in this form in his very first post on this forum! (see here and here)
I was indeed looking to see if I could use that to complete the Syringe but in the other direction.

This is the CLOSEST I got to a P41:

Code: Select all

x = 73, y = 21, rule = B3/S23
20bo31bo$20bo31bo$20bo31bo2$o71bo$3o67b3o$3bo65bo$2bo13bo7bo23bo7bo13b
o$2b2o10b2ob2o3b2ob2o19b2ob2o3b2ob2o10b2o$16bo7bo23bo7bo2$16bo7bo23bo
7bo$2b2o10b2ob2o3b2ob2o19b2ob2o3b2ob2o10b2o$2bo13bo7bo23bo7bo13bo$3bo
65bo$3o67b3o$o71bo2$20bo31bo$20bo31bo$20bo31bo!
#C [[ STOP 27 ]]
It hassled the P51 in the right way, but the hook with tail is just too obstructive. Maybe Bellman can help?

EDIT: It's P41.

EDIT: Can the Eater 4 be replaced with something else less obstructive?

Code: Select all

x = 21, y = 23, rule = B3/S23
5b2o$6bo$5bo$5b2o2b2o$8bobo$3b4obo$3bo2bob2o3$3b2o$3bo6b2o3b2o$2obo7b
2o2b2o$o2b2o5bo$b2o4bo$3b5o$3bo4b2o$4b2o2bo10b2o$6bobo11bo$6bobobo2bo
3b3o$7b2ob4o3bo$9bo$9bobo$10b2o!
#C [[ STOP 57 ]]
Bellman can help. Both.

Also, I think LLS can help, too.
This post was brought to you by the Element of Magic.

Plz correct my grammar mistakes. I'm still studying English.

Working on:

Nothing.

Favorite gun ever:

Code: Select all

#C Favorite Gun. Found by me.
x = 4, y = 6, rule = B2e3i4at/S1c23cijn4a
o2bo$4o3$4o$o2bo!

User avatar
Entity Valkyrie
Posts: 247
Joined: November 30th, 2017, 3:30 am

Re: Incomplete search patterns - try to complete

Post by Entity Valkyrie » January 6th, 2019, 4:56 am

But I can't use Bellman! How do I use it?

Hunting
Posts: 1117
Joined: September 11th, 2017, 2:54 am
Location: Ponyville, Equestria

Re: Incomplete search patterns - try to complete

Post by Hunting » January 6th, 2019, 5:00 am

Entity Valkyrie wrote:But I can't use Bellman! How do I use it?
(Actually, I dunno, either...) Did you download it, at the very first?


P. S. An almost-c/2 spaceship.

Code: Select all

x = 19, y = 9, rule = B3/S23
7bo3bo$6b3ob3o$5b2o2bo2b2o$3b2obo5bob2o$4bobo2bo2bobo$b2obo2bo3bo2bob
2o$b2o13b2o$bo2b2o7b2o2bo$2o15b2o!
An almost-c/3 tail with 27 wrong cells.

Code: Select all

x = 19, y = 225, rule = B3/S23
6bo5bo$2b2obobo3bobob2o$2b2o4bobo4b2o$2b2o4bobo4b2o$4b3obobob3o$2o4bob
obobo4b2o$2bo2bo2bobo2bo2bo$8bobo$2obo4bobo4bob2o$3b4obobob4o$b3ob2obo
bob2ob3o$b2o5bobo5b2o$2bo5bobo5bo$2bo5bobo5bo$2bo2b2obobob2o2bo$2bo2b
2obobob2o2bo$4bo3bobo3bo$2o5b2ob2o5b2o$4b2o2bobo2b2o$bo3b2obobob2o3bo$
bo3b2obobob2o3bo$obo3bobobobo3bobo$o7bobo7bo$4bobobobobobo$3b3ob2ob2ob
3o$3b5o3b5o$7b2ob2o$3b2o9b2o$2bo2bo7bo2bo$2bob2o7b2obo$5b2o5b2o$2bo13b
o$b6o5b6o$b2ob4o3b4ob2o$7b2ob2o$7bo3bo$9bo$b3o4b3o4b3o$obob2o2bobo2b2o
bobo$obobobobobobobobobo$bob2obobobobob2obo$6bobobobo$2bo5bobo5bo$bobo
2bobobobo2bobo$bo3b3o3b3o3bo3$b2o2b3o3b3o2b2o$b2obo9bob2o$o3bo9bo3bo$
4bob2o3b2obo$3b2o2b5o2b2o$2bobo2bobobo2bobo$bo2bob2o3b2obo2bo$bo15bo$
5bobo3bobo$b2o13b2o$o2bo11bo2bo$3bo11bo$3b2o9b2o$2obobo7bobob2o$2obo2b
o5bo2bob2o$4bo2bo3bo2bo$2bobobo5bobobo2$4bo9bo2$4b2o7b2o2$3bobo7bobo$
3bo11bo$3bo4b3o4bo$3bo4b3o4bo$4bo2bo3bo2bo$3b6ob6o$5bo7bo$9bo$5bo7bo$b
3ob3o3b3ob3o$obo5b3o5bobo$b3o11b3o$3b2o9b2o$3bo4bobo4bo$3b2o4bo4b2o$8b
obo$8bobo$5bo2bobo2bo$b3ob2obobob2ob3o$o17bo$b2o3b2o3b2o3b2o$6b2o3b2o$
4b2o2bobo2b2o$3bobo7bobo$2bo2bob2ob2obo2bo$bobo3b2ob2o3bobo$2b3ob2o3b
2ob3o$4bo3b3o3bo$4b2o3bo3b2o3$7b5o$3b2ob7ob2o$3b2o3bobo3b2o$2bo2bobo3b
obo2bo$7b2ob2o$6bobobobo$6b2o3b2o$5b2o5b2o$3bo2bo5bo2bo$3bo11bo$3b2o3b
obo3b2o$7b2ob2o$4bo9bo$4bobo5bobo$7bo3bo$8bobo$9bo$6b3ob3o$5b2obobob2o
$4bo9bo$4bo2bo3bo2bo$2bo13bo$2bo13bo$4bob2o3b2obo$6b2o3b2o$3b4obobob4o
$7b2ob2o$2bo2bo2bobo2bo2bo$b3obo2bobo2bob3o$b2obobobobobobob2o$bo2bobo
bobobobo2bo$3bo2bobobobo2bo$bo6bobo6bo$4bobobobobobo$b2o2b3o3b3o2b2o2$
3o6bo6b3o$2bo3b7o3bo$bo4bo5bo4bo$6b2o3b2o$6b3ob3o$4b2o2bobo2b2o$2b2obo
2bobo2bob2o$bo3bobobobobo3bo$2bobo2bo3bo2bobo$7bo3bo$6bo5bo$4b2o7b2o$
5bo7bo$4bo9bo$4b2o7b2o$3b2o9b2o$4b2o7b2o$b2obo2bo3bo2bob2o$b2obob3ob3o
bob2o$2b2obo2bobo2bob2o$4bobobobobobo$4bo9bo$6bo5bo$4b2ob2ob2ob2o$3bo
11bo$b2ob2o7b2ob2o$o3bo9bo3bo$bobobo7bobobo$6bo5bo$7bo3bo$5bo2bobo2bo$
3b5o3b5o$bo2b2o7b2o2bo$bo4b2o3b2o4bo$o17bo$bobo2bo5bo2bobo$8bobo$3b2ob
o2bo2bob2o$7bobobo$4bo9bo$4bobo5bobo$8b3o$9bo$6b2o3b2o$6b2o3b2o$7b5o$
9bo$9bo$8b3o$4b2obo3bob2o$4b2o7b2o$4bobo5bobo$6b2obob2o$5b3o3b3o$3b2o
2bo3bo2b2o$4b2o7b2o$4bobo5bobo2$5b2o5b2o2$6bo5bo$6bo5bo$6bo5bo$4b3o5b
3o$2b2obo7bob2o$2b3o9b3o$2b2o11b2o$3bo11bo$b2o2b3o3b3o2b2o$2b3o3bobo3b
3o$2bo2bobo3bobo2bo$3bo11bo$2b2ob2o5b2ob2o$b2o2bob2ob2obo2b2o$3o2bo2bo
bo2bo2b3o$bo4bobobobo4bo$o7bobo7bo$bo3b2obobob2o3bo$bo4bobobobo4bo$2b
3obobobobob3o$2b6o3b6o$4b3o5b3o2$8b3o$7bo3bo$6b3ob3o$5b2o5b2o$6bo5bo$
5b2o5b2o!
This post was brought to you by the Element of Magic.

Plz correct my grammar mistakes. I'm still studying English.

Working on:

Nothing.

Favorite gun ever:

Code: Select all

#C Favorite Gun. Found by me.
x = 4, y = 6, rule = B2e3i4at/S1c23cijn4a
o2bo$4o3$4o$o2bo!

User avatar
cvojan
Posts: 130
Joined: October 7th, 2018, 7:07 pm

Re: Incomplete search patterns - try to complete

Post by cvojan » January 6th, 2019, 10:42 pm

Here's a conduit thing, could the herschel be hassled into an output without messing with the transparent block?

Code: Select all

x = 13, y = 27, rule = LifeHistory
9.2A.A$10.3A$11.A3$5.2C$5.2C13$2A$2A5$5.2A$5.2A!
EDIT: Closest thing I got to a conduit, but 1 block is replaced somewhere else:

Code: Select all

x = 37, y = 40, rule = LifeHistory
$22.A$20.3A$19.A$19.2A$9.2A.A$10.3A$11.A3$5.2C$5.2C10$35.2A$35.A$33.A
.A$2A31.2A$2A5$5.2A$5.2A7$17.2E$17.2E!
EDIT 2: Another one:

Code: Select all

x = 29, y = 37, rule = LifeHistory
9.2C.C$7.D2.3C$5.2D4.C$3.D.2D.D$2.D4.2D$.2D2.2E.D$2.2D.2E$3.D8.2D$12.
2D7$20.2D$20.2D$12.2D$11.D2.D$2A9.D.D$2A10.D6$27.2A$20.2D5.2A$17.2A.
2D$17.2A4$15.2A$16.A$13.3A$13.A!
Last edited by cvojan on January 7th, 2019, 10:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'sup.

User avatar
dvgrn
Moderator
Posts: 5888
Joined: May 17th, 2009, 11:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Incomplete search patterns - try to complete

Post by dvgrn » January 6th, 2019, 11:08 pm

cvojan wrote:Here's a conduit thing, could the herschel be hassled into an output without messing with the transparent block?

Code: Select all

x = 13, y = 27, rule = LifeHistory
9.2A.A$10.3A$11.A3$5.2C$5.2C13$2A$2A5$5.2A$5.2A!
Yup, there are several known elementary conduits with that transparent block. For example:

Code: Select all

#C BF187H from the Elementary Conduits Collection
x = 53, y = 46, rule = LifeHistory
16.2B$14.5B$14.5B$13.2B2ABA$13.3B3A2B.B$13.4BA8B$12.14B4.B$12.16B.B2A
20.B$11.2C17B2A19.2B$11.2C18B19.3B$10.18B21.4B$11.16B21.4B$3.A8.14B
21.4B$2.A.A7.14B20.4B$2.A.A7.15B18.4B$.2A.2A6.15B9.B7.4B$.A2.B7.15B7.
4B5.4B$2.AB2A3.19B6.4B4.4B$A.A.2A2.23B.7B2.4B$2A2.35B.4B$6.37B$5.37B$
6.35B$6.34B$3.37B$2.2A37B$2.2AB.36B$3.B2.36B.2B$5.39B2A$6.36B.B2A$2A
2.34B.4B.B$A.A.2AB.31B$2.AB2AB.4B.26B$.A2.B4.2B2.8B.B.14B$.2A.2A9.7B
2.11B.4B$2.A.A11.7B.7B.B5.2A.A$2.A.A15.4B.6B7.2AB3A$3.A17.9B9.B4.A$
22.8B8.2A.3A$23.8B6.A2.2A$24.7B6.2A$25.5B$25.2B3D$26.BDB$26.3D$27.B!
Or do you mean with the two later block catalysts in those places also? That's more of a definite maybe. Doesn't look impossible necessarily, but someone will have to run some speculative searches with CatForce/ptbsearch/catgl to find out.

Jormungant
Posts: 106
Joined: May 27th, 2016, 1:01 am

Re: Incomplete search patterns - try to complete

Post by Jormungant » January 27th, 2019, 5:51 am

Well, I probably used the wrong search tool, but I was wondering if there is hope for a p4 reflector here:

Code: Select all

x = 105, y = 42, rule = LifeHistory
9$39.A$27.A10.A.A52.A$27.3A9.A41.A10.A.A$30.A50.3A9.A$29.AB6.5A42.A$
29.ABA5.A4.A40.A7.5A$30.2AB6.BAB.A39.A.A5.A4.A$18.A.3A6.3B7.B2A.A2.A
37.2A8.A2.A$11.A5.2A9.B.B6.A4B.A.A.A20.2A24.2A.A2.A$14.A.2A2.2B2.8B4.
ABAB3.A2.A18.2A2.A2.2A.A15.A5.A.A.A$14.A2.A.A14B2.A2BA2.2A20.A4.2A9.
2BA7.A.A4.A2.A$12.A4.4A16B2A26.A.A.A3.2A3.A2B2A2B5.A2.A2.2A$12.A2.A.
2A.AD.14B28.A.A6.A2.A2BA5BA4.2A$12.A7.AD.4BA9B27.A.2A2.2A2.AC.A5B2A2B
A$13.A2.5A2.3B3A8B29.2A6.AC.A2B2A5BA$15.2A.2A5.ABABA7B27.A4.2A3.A3.A
5BA2BA$12.2A2.A8.A3BA6B30.4A4.AB4.2B2A2BA$12.A2.2A6.2A5B2AB33.3A13.A
3B$12.A3.A2.A2.A4BA4BA32.2A2.3A10.5B$10.A.A3.A4.3A2BAB2A2B2A32.2A2.2A
9.7B$10.A3.3A3.C.AB6ABAB31.A2.A2.2A8.4B.4B$11.3A.2A6.2A6B37.A2.A2.D4.
4B3.4B$18.A4.BA4B6.3B27.3A2.2A6.3AB5.4B$11.A.A2.3A4.8B4.4B25.A2.3A2.A
4.3BA7.3BA$15.2A12.2A5.4B24.2A3.2A.A3.3BA9.3BA$29.A7.4B23.2A9.4B4.2A
5.3A$30.3A35.A.A3.4B5.A$32.A40.4B7.3A$72.4B10.A$71.4B$70.4B$69.4B!
the first spark can be a domino or a dot, while the other is a domino that needs to spark twice. given that on need to let the glider pass as well, I could not find a easy welding of known oscilator... That might be a very pointless search though since this would be strickly worse than the snark in all regards .

Sokwe
Moderator
Posts: 1480
Joined: July 9th, 2009, 2:44 pm

Re: Incomplete search patterns - try to complete

Post by Sokwe » January 27th, 2019, 5:13 pm

Jormungant wrote:I was wondering if there is hope for a p4 reflector here
Karel Suhajda used this spark combination to find a p4 reflector in September 2012:

Code: Select all

x = 59, y = 35, rule = B3/S23
18b2o8bo$15b2o2bo6b5o19bo$15bob2o6bo5bo6bo10bobo$16bo4b2o3bob2obo6b3o
9bo$14bob2ob2o3bobobobo10bo$13bo2bobobo3bobobo11bo7b5o$13bo3b2o5b3o2bo
10bobo5bo4bo$10b2obob3o2bobo4bo13b2o8bo2bo$11bobo2bo3b3obo2bo3bo19b2ob
o2bo$11bobo3bobobo2bo6bo16bo5bobobo$12b2obobo3b2o2bo2bobo16bobo4bo2bo$
14b2obo2bo3b2o2b2o17bo2bo2b2o$10b3o3bo3bob2o4b2o18b2o$10bo2b2obobob3o
3bo2bo$12bo2bobobo3bo3b3o$10bobobo2bo2b5ob2obo$9bobobo3bo7bo11b2o$9bob
o2b3ob9o10b2o$7bobobo4bobo9bo$3bob3obob2o8b7obo8bo$3b2o3bo11bo7bo9b2o$
6bo14b4o2bobo7bobo$b7o7b2o5b3o4b2o$o11b4ob3o3bo2b2o2bo$2o2bob2o2b2obo
6bob3ob2obo$5bobo3bob2o7bo2b3o12b2o$3bobobob2o3bobobo3bo2bo14bo$3b2o2b
o4bo3bo6bo17b3o$7bob4ob5o4bo19bo$8bo9b2o3bo$9b8o3bo$11bo5b3o$14b2obo7b
o$14bobo8b2o$24bobo!
This was interesting at the time, because the Snark had not yet been discovered. It can be seen in the jslife collection in misc/reflector-p4.lif.
-Matthias Merzenich

User avatar
danny
Posts: 968
Joined: October 27th, 2017, 3:43 pm
Location: New Jersey, USA
Contact:

Re: Incomplete search patterns - try to complete

Post by danny » January 28th, 2019, 11:49 am

I found a similar reaction that just needs a catalysis and works at p1, probably a rediscovery:

Code: Select all

x = 16, y = 17, rule = B3/S23
3b2o$3b2o2$2o$bo7b2o$bobo5b2o$2b2o$10bo$10b2o$9bobo4$12b2o$12bo$13b3o$
15bo!
I don't know how you'd look for things to complete this anyway. None of the search programs have user friendly UIs...
she/they // Please stop using my full name. Refer to me as dani.

"I'm always on duty, even when I'm off duty." -Cody Kolodziejzyk, Ph.D.

User avatar
Moosey
Posts: 2495
Joined: January 27th, 2019, 5:54 pm
Location: A house, or perhaps the OCA board.
Contact:

Re: Incomplete search patterns - try to complete

Post by Moosey » January 28th, 2019, 3:00 pm

danny wrote:I found a similar reaction that just needs a catalysis and works at p1, probably a rediscovery:

Code: Select all

x = 16, y = 17, rule = B3/S23
3b2o$3b2o2$2o$bo7b2o$bobo5b2o$2b2o$10bo$10b2o$9bobo4$12b2o$12bo$13b3o$
15bo!
I don't know how you'd look for things to complete this anyway. None of the search programs have user friendly UIs...
That just needs a LOM-to-block in the right place to be a reflector
I am a prolific creator of many rather pathetic googological functions

My CA rules can be found here

Also, the tree game
Bill Watterson once wrote: "How do soldiers killing each other solve the world's problems?"

User avatar
dvgrn
Moderator
Posts: 5888
Joined: May 17th, 2009, 11:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Incomplete search patterns - try to complete

Post by dvgrn » January 28th, 2019, 3:31 pm

Moosey wrote:
danny wrote:I found a similar reaction that just needs a catalysis and works at p1, probably a rediscovery:

Code: Select all

x = 16, y = 17, rule = B3/S23
3b2o$3b2o2$2o$bo7b2o$bobo5b2o$2b2o$10bo$10b2o$9bobo4$12b2o$12bo$13b3o$
15bo!
I don't know how you'd look for things to complete this anyway. None of the search programs have user friendly UIs...
That just needs a LOM-to-block in the right place to be a reflector
Heh. Recently Invented Wheel, please meet Previously Invented Wheel:

Code: Select all

x = 50, y = 23, rule = LifeHistory
38.2A$38.A.A$40.A4.2A$13.F22.4A.2A2.A2.A$36.A2.A.A.A.A.2A$38.BABABA.A
$3.2A34.B2ABA.A$3.2A35.2B.BA$19.F19.3B$2A28.2A6.4B$.A7.2A20.A6.B2A3B$
.A.A5.2A20.A.AB3.B2A3B$2.2A28.2AB.10B$10.A23.6BA6B$10.2A22.6B2A6B$9.A
.A22.5BABA7B$36.8B2.4B$36.6B5.3B$35.9B4.2B$12.2A20.4B4.2A5.B$12.A20.
4B5.A$13.3A16.4B7.3A$15.A15.4B10.A!
@danny, it's funny you should say that about Life search programs. The programs all say that they're perfectly friendly, and then they go and complain a lot about unfriendly command-line-phobic users.

User avatar
Moosey
Posts: 2495
Joined: January 27th, 2019, 5:54 pm
Location: A house, or perhaps the OCA board.
Contact:

Re: Incomplete search patterns - try to complete

Post by Moosey » January 28th, 2019, 3:34 pm

dvgrn wrote:
Moosey wrote:
danny wrote:I found a similar reaction that just needs a catalysis and works at p1, probably a rediscovery:

Code: Select all

x = 16, y = 17, rule = B3/S23
3b2o$3b2o2$2o$bo7b2o$bobo5b2o$2b2o$10bo$10b2o$9bobo4$12b2o$12bo$13b3o$
15bo!
I don't know how you'd look for things to complete this anyway. None of the search programs have user friendly UIs...
That just needs a LOM-to-block in the right place to be a reflector
Heh. Recently Invented Wheel, please meet Previously Invented Wheel:

Code: Select all

x = 50, y = 23, rule = LifeHistory
38.2A$38.A.A$40.A4.2A$13.F22.4A.2A2.A2.A$36.A2.A.A.A.A.2A$38.BABABA.A
$3.2A34.B2ABA.A$3.2A35.2B.BA$19.F19.3B$2A28.2A6.4B$.A7.2A20.A6.B2A3B$
.A.A5.2A20.A.AB3.B2A3B$2.2A28.2AB.10B$10.A23.6BA6B$10.2A22.6B2A6B$9.A
.A22.5BABA7B$36.8B2.4B$36.6B5.3B$35.9B4.2B$12.2A20.4B4.2A5.B$12.A20.
4B5.A$13.3A16.4B7.3A$15.A15.4B10.A!
I should have realized that that resembled the snark. Whoops.
EDIT: Suddenly I wonder if there is a smaller LOM-to-Block. (Besides those currently used in the snark, of course.)
Are there any Spartan stable snarks? I know there is a spartan stable semi-snark.
Is a spartan stable snark worth looking for? Perhaps for self-constructing spaceships?
I am a prolific creator of many rather pathetic googological functions

My CA rules can be found here

Also, the tree game
Bill Watterson once wrote: "How do soldiers killing each other solve the world's problems?"

User avatar
dvgrn
Moderator
Posts: 5888
Joined: May 17th, 2009, 11:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Incomplete search patterns - try to complete

Post by dvgrn » January 28th, 2019, 3:42 pm

Moosey wrote:I should have realized that that resembled the snark. Whoops.
Well, you never know -- maybe a fresh search with a block in that position will turn up a Snark modification that releases an extra glider, or a Herschel or something. We definitely do need a direct stable G-to-2G -- it would revolutionize self-constructing circuitry (again).
Moosey wrote:EDIT: Suddenly I wonder if there is a smaller LOM-to-Block. (Besides those currently used in the snark, of course.)
Are there any Spartan stable snarks?
That would also re-revolutionize self-constructing circuitry. We have Spartan stable Snarks already (see Silver reflector), but they're big and slow, hard to do single-channel constructions with. (Technically it's not impossible, due to overclocking, but the single-channel recipe searches would have to be done all over again, and it doesn't seem as if it would really improve anything.)

User avatar
Moosey
Posts: 2495
Joined: January 27th, 2019, 5:54 pm
Location: A house, or perhaps the OCA board.
Contact:

Re: Incomplete search patterns - try to complete

Post by Moosey » January 28th, 2019, 3:50 pm

dvgrn wrote: moosey wrote:
Are there any Spartan stable snarks?

That would also re-revolutionize self-constructing circuitry. We have Spartan stable Snarks already (see Silver reflector), but they're big and slow, hard to do single-channel constructions with. (Technically it's not impossible, due to overclocking, but the single-channel recipe searches would have to be done all over again, and it doesn't seem as if it would really improve anything.)
I forgot about those old more "conduity" reflectors.

I suppose the start of a small spartan stable reflector would be looking for a spartan stable LOM->Block to replace 31.4 in the snark. Has anyone searched for small constellations that would do just that? I suppose that still life factories thread would be useful.

Also, are there any scripts that search for catalysts on a mac? (Preferably a python-golly script; c doesn't work for me. I got gfind, but couldn't run it. Any tips on that?)

EDIT:
the problem in find, is this (I changed directories, then wrote

Code: Select all

gcc Gfind.c -o Gfind
The attachment below shows what happened:
Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 2.56.27 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 2.56.27 PM.png (80.41 KiB) Viewed 8865 times
I am a prolific creator of many rather pathetic googological functions

My CA rules can be found here

Also, the tree game
Bill Watterson once wrote: "How do soldiers killing each other solve the world's problems?"

User avatar
dvgrn
Moderator
Posts: 5888
Joined: May 17th, 2009, 11:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Incomplete search patterns - try to complete

Post by dvgrn » January 28th, 2019, 4:38 pm

Moosey wrote:I suppose the start of a small spartan stable reflector would be looking for a spartan stable LOM->Block to replace 31.4 in the snark. Has anyone searched for small constellations that would do just that? I suppose that still life factories thread would be useful.
Probably it's been looked at at least to some extent. Before Mike Playle finally came up with the Snark catalyst(s), people tried all kinds of things on the following version of the Snark reaction, found by Dietrich Leithner way back at the end of the last millennium:

Code: Select all

x = 16, y = 21, rule = LifeHistory
8.2A$8.2A6$2A$.A7.2A$.A.A5.2A$2.2A$10.A$10.2A$9.A.A4$12.2A$12.A$13.3A
$15.A!
See this post, for example, almost nine years ago in this very thread. There are enough unfinished search branches in that one stamp collection to last a lifetime... if you wanted to be really, really thorough about hunting for Snark-reaction-based glider-to-2-glider converters.

It's definitely always possible that everyone missed something obvious, and that a CatForce search would turn up a way to catalyze a LOM to drop a block back in exactly the right place.

But the block would have to get thrown to a very lucky location. The near-complete lack of elementary conduits with LOM inputs seems to indicate that a LOM's particular kind of explosion is pretty difficult to tame with small stable catalysts... for whatever reason.

So if nobody has done that search, it's because everyone who has experience getting results out of search programs has decided that the odds of success are too low -- and so they've spent the time doing other searches that seem like they have a better chance of success. They might or might not be right in that judgment, but the only way to prove them wrong is to develop your own searching expertise and run a search like that yourself (and then actually find something.)
Moosey wrote:Also, are there any scripts that search for catalysts on a mac? (Preferably a python-golly script; c doesn't work for me. I got gfind, but couldn't run it. Any tips on that?)
I just somewhat answered the first question in the other place you asked it. C/C++ is the usual language for search programs, because it's almost an order of magnitude faster than a Python script, and nobody is too interested in finding only a tenth as much stuff as they could, for no particularly good reason.

I'd best not even try to assist with compilation issues on a Mac, since I don't have one handy to try things out on. Hopefully someone with more Mac experience will pop up eventually with some advice.

User avatar
Andrew
Moderator
Posts: 764
Joined: June 2nd, 2009, 2:08 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Incomplete search patterns - try to complete

Post by Andrew » January 28th, 2019, 8:13 pm

Moosey wrote:I got gfind, but couldn't run it. Any tips on that?
The link errors seem to be due to the use of inline. Edit gfind.c and either remove all the inline strings or change them to "static inline".

User avatar
Moosey
Posts: 2495
Joined: January 27th, 2019, 5:54 pm
Location: A house, or perhaps the OCA board.
Contact:

Re: Incomplete search patterns - try to complete

Post by Moosey » January 28th, 2019, 8:17 pm

Andrew wrote:
Moosey wrote:I got gfind, but couldn't run it. Any tips on that?
The link errors seem to be due to the use of inline. Edit gfind.c and either remove all the inline strings or change them to "static inline".
Inline... like comments? (Sorry, I'm not too good with code yet.)
I am a prolific creator of many rather pathetic googological functions

My CA rules can be found here

Also, the tree game
Bill Watterson once wrote: "How do soldiers killing each other solve the world's problems?"

Post Reply