Incomplete search patterns - try to complete

For discussion of specific patterns or specific families of patterns, both newly-discovered and well-known.
User avatar
testitemqlstudop
Posts: 1232
Joined: July 21st, 2016, 11:45 am
Location: in catagolue
Contact:

Re: Incomplete search patterns - try to complete

Post by testitemqlstudop » January 28th, 2019, 9:19 pm

Moosey wrote: Inline... like comments? (Sorry, I'm not too good with code yet.)
Let me guess - you are on Mac. Install homebrew (brew.sh) and run

Code: Select all

brew tap homebrew/versions
brew install [flags] gcc48
and recompile with gcc.

Hope it works!

wildmyron
Posts: 1293
Joined: August 9th, 2013, 12:45 am

Re: Incomplete search patterns - try to complete

Post by wildmyron » January 29th, 2019, 12:11 am

Moosey wrote:
Andrew wrote:
Moosey wrote:I got gfind, but couldn't run it. Any tips on that?
The link errors seem to be due to the use of inline. Edit gfind.c and either remove all the inline strings or change them to "static inline".
Inline... like comments? (Sorry, I'm not too good with code yet.)
No, not like comments. inline is a keyword in C which gives the compiler a hint about how it should compile a function. It is only used on function definitions. What Andrew is saying is that you need to edit gfind.c to change lines such as

Code: Select all

inline long hashFunction(node b, row r) {
to

Code: Select all

static inline long hashFunction(node b, row r) {
If you get a copy of gfind.c from https://github.com/conwaylife/gfind then you will have a version with these changes already made.

If you prefer, you can follow testitemqlstudop's advice and compile with gcc, then you won't need this modification. Out of the box, the gcc command on MacOS is actually running a different compiler called clang - which you can see reference to in the screenshot you posted.

Further questions about compiling and using gfind are best asked in one of the existing gfind threads (of which there are several), such as How to use Gfind?
The latest version of the 5S Project contains over 221,000 spaceships. Tabulated pages up to period 160 are available on the LifeWiki.

User avatar
Moosey
Posts: 2704
Joined: January 27th, 2019, 5:54 pm
Location: A house, or perhaps the OCA board.
Contact:

Re: Incomplete search patterns - try to complete

Post by Moosey » January 30th, 2019, 8:53 pm

What do i do now?
Isthisgoodenough.png
Isthisgoodenough.png (50.54 KiB) Viewed 7484 times
(Yes, My name is Mauro)
I am a prolific creator of many rather pathetic googological functions

My CA rules can be found here

Also, the tree game
Bill Watterson once wrote: "How do soldiers killing each other solve the world's problems?"

User avatar
77topaz
Posts: 1366
Joined: January 12th, 2018, 9:19 pm

Re: Incomplete search patterns - try to complete

Post by 77topaz » January 30th, 2019, 9:55 pm

The "note" lines actually tell you precisely what to do to silence those warnings.

wildmyron
Posts: 1293
Joined: August 9th, 2013, 12:45 am

Re: Incomplete search patterns - try to complete

Post by wildmyron » January 30th, 2019, 10:49 pm

Moosey wrote:What do i do now?
Now you have compiled gfind. There will be an executable file named "gfind" in the Gfind folder. You can now run gfind with

Code: Select all

./gfind c
to see the options available.

Note: pass all the desired options as a single string, with or without slashes separating the options. The following two commands are equivalent:

Code: Select all

./gfind b3/s23/o3/v/f2
./gfind b3s23o3vf2
They will both find two small c/3 ships: one with 60 cells and the turtle.
wildmyron wrote:Further questions about compiling and using gfind are best asked in one of the existing gfind threads (of which there are several), such as How to use Gfind?
As an aside, please copy and paste output from the terminal as text rather than posting screenshots. This makes it just a bit easier for the rest of us trying to help you.
77topaz wrote:The "note" lines actually tell you precisely what to do to silence those warnings.
The warnings can be safely ignored in this case, it just means that the evaluation of the expression relies on precedence rules rather than being explicit about the order of operations.
The latest version of the 5S Project contains over 221,000 spaceships. Tabulated pages up to period 160 are available on the LifeWiki.

User avatar
Moosey
Posts: 2704
Joined: January 27th, 2019, 5:54 pm
Location: A house, or perhaps the OCA board.
Contact:

Re: Incomplete search patterns - try to complete

Post by Moosey » January 31st, 2019, 9:26 am

wildmyron wrote:
Moosey wrote:What do i do now?
Now you have compiled gfind. There will be an executable file named "gfind" in the Gfind folder. You can now run gfind with

Code: Select all

./gfind c
to see the options available.

Note: pass all the desired options as a single string, with or without slashes separating the options. The following two commands are equivalent:

Code: Select all

./gfind b3/s23/o3/v/f2
./gfind b3s23o3vf2
They will both find two small c/3 ships: one with 60 cells and the turtle.
wildmyron wrote:Further questions about compiling and using gfind are best asked in one of the existing gfind threads (of which there are several), such as How to use Gfind?
As an aside, please copy and paste output from the terminal as text rather than posting screenshots. This makes it just a bit easier for the rest of us trying to help you.
77topaz wrote:The "note" lines actually tell you precisely what to do to silence those warnings.
The warnings can be safely ignored in this case, it just means that the evaluation of the expression relies on precedence rules rather than being explicit about the order of operations.
Yeah, after posting it I tried running the commands from the lifewiki tutorial and it worked.
I am a prolific creator of many rather pathetic googological functions

My CA rules can be found here

Also, the tree game
Bill Watterson once wrote: "How do soldiers killing each other solve the world's problems?"

Post Reply