Universal Constructor Based Spaceship

For discussion of specific patterns or specific families of patterns, both newly-discovered and well-known.
mscibing

Re: Universal Constructor Based Spaceship

Post by mscibing » May 20th, 2010, 6:24 pm

igblan wrote:The "shoulder" of the construction arm, which fires the four kinds of construction salvo, was deliberately built using "Spartan" Herschel technology, ie using Herschel components constructed solely from blocks, beehives, tubs, boats and eaters. This was in the expectation of minimizing the complexity of slow-salvo construction using a single arm. (Even so, some recent informal work I did showed that the close spacing of eaters in some places would require some synchronized one-off two-glider syntheses using small, one-shot glider splitters and reflectors.)
I ended up with a number of different fishhook constructions for most orientations to handle the cases with close spacing.
igblan wrote:It may be the case that the shoulders can be reduced in size by relaxing the Spartan condition, while still making synchronized-glider-pair construction of more exotic still lifes efficiently feasible. This in turn could reduce the size of the tape.
This should be possible, but my search program probably isn't efficient enough to find constructions for exotic still lifes. And in tight configurations it might be necessary to build the exotic still life first and use one-shot glider reflectors to build and adjacent still lifes behind it.
dvgrn wrote:For starters, as the LifeNews article mentions, there's an infinite series of new spaceship speeds available just by increasing the distance between the two ends of the pattern. It takes a couple of replication cycles for the memory of the old width to get completely erased, but the recalibration will happen automatically as far as I can see.
Yup.
dvgrn wrote:The construction gliders are sent right through the recipe stream, so changing the timing of the recipe gliders is definitely *not* safe -- except maybe for stretching the recipe stream by adding 144-cell (576-tick) gaps, and widening the spaceship appropriately. I'm not clear whether that will work, though -- the compiler may already leave gaps in the recipe for the construction gliders to get through, in which case adding more gaps might just make a mess. (?)
There is no simple pattern that prevents unwanted collisions. The compiler detects collisions and delays volleys as necessary to avoid them. I would recommend recompiling rather than editing the recipe stream directly. (The compiler generates a straight tape, but it is not difficult to bootstrap the zigzag configuration.)
-- Andrew Wade

mscibing

Post by mscibing » May 20th, 2010, 10:09 pm

knightlife wrote:Have you developed other types of patterns along the way or was it a one-shot effort after accumulating enough knowledge to create Gemini?
Yes - I had an earlier design that put the two construction arms on the other side of the pattern. When I started testing it out I found the elbow on one of the arms bent the wrong way for what I needed it to do. I played around with hersrch a bit to try and create an arm where the elbow bent the other way, but eventually gave up on the idea. Other than that I avoided any designs that required new Hershel conduits and tried to keep things as simple as possible as I was eager to finish the design. Paul is almost correct - I did tweak the Hershel conduits in two of the "shoulder" components in the "y" arm to adjust the colour of the input gliders since there wasn't a suitable reflector at which to adjust the colour. But other than that I copied components out of constructor-memory-tape in Golly 1.4 verbatim in the final design.
-- Andrew Wade

mscibing

Post by mscibing » May 20th, 2010, 10:16 pm

igblan wrote:My guess is that reducing the size of some of the shoulder components and moving them about a bit (and possibly even changing the orientation of their input gates), together with a messier layout of the various routing reflectors which reduces their number, could cut the population of the active parts by 20% or more, consequently reducing the bounding box (and increasing the velocity) of the entire ship by roughly the same factor
Another way to gain a speed-up is to have more replicator modules active at any one time - e.g. instead of having two active at any one time, have four active reproducing themselves at offsets of (2 x 5120, 2 x 1024). It wouldn't be quite a 2 times speed up since the extra glider crossings involved would require a slightly sparser tape to avoid unwanted collisions.
-- Andrew Wade

Nick Gotts

Post by Nick Gotts » May 21st, 2010, 5:54 am

calcyman wrote:
A new age of Game of Life exploration and design!
I agree with Nick.
Yes, I've been hoping this phrase would catch on!
What is the range of velocities that can be achieved in this way?
Any velocity less than c/2 (by the L1, or Manhattan metric) can be attained by a Universal constructor. The proof is quite long-winded, so I won't mention it unless you are interested.
I was imprecise: I meant using the overall structure (moving tape, two construction sites, two construction and one destruction arm at each) and range of components used in Gemini. I'm aware of the general proof, but there will be a lot of work on which specific velocities a Gemini-type approach allows. Some simple modifications have already been suggested. Similarly for some of my other questions - I was thinking of what can be done with close relatives of Gemini.
Gemini can only have a constant velocity, and not a variable velocity. It would be possible if the twin constructors had independent instruction tapes, but the same instruction tape is used for both in the original Gemini.
Thanks - I hadn't really understood exactly how Gemini operates when I asked that. Not sure I do now!

TLUL

Post by TLUL » May 21st, 2010, 8:42 am

This is the single most impressive pattern in Life that I have ever seen. Great job! The next step: a spaceship with three or more constructors for the program to pass through, and after that, a program capable of modifying its own speed/shape/direction.

Congratulations on this accomplishment, you have created Life's DNA. From this design, hundreds more will probably be created.

*starts plotting how to create a spaceship that can inject its own program into other Gemini spaceships*
Carpe per diem: Seize the check.

calcyman

Post by calcyman » May 21st, 2010, 11:44 am

I was imprecise: I meant using the overall structure (moving tape, two construction sites, two construction and one destruction arm at each) and range of components used in Gemini.
Gemini, in its current form, can asymptotically approach, but not reach, (1,1)c/580, since the gliders can (apparently) be compressed to p576. The extra four generations are due to the fact that the block drifts away, in a phenomenon similar to the Doppler effect. Equivalently, Dieter's p120-driven slide gun hits the block every 124 generations.

Stable technology can be compressed to p466 (using one of my multi-stage reflectors), but it involves welded eaters with miscellaneous heads. That would facilitate everything up to, but not including, (1,1)c/470.

My other multi-stage reflector, which is composed of simple-to-construct still lifes, admits a compression of p487. However, it doesn't have a natural Herschel output, so it may be difficult to use it as anything other than a reflector.

It is definitely possible to use the Silver reflector and related glider-to-Herschel converter, which accepts gliders at p497. The resulting Gemini speed limit would be (1,1)c/501.

Yes, I've been hoping this phrase would catch on!
I wondered whether anyone would recognise that quotation -- it was what Bill Gosper would call an insurmountable opportunity.

This is the single most impressive pattern in Life that I have ever seen.
Agreed. It is made even more impressive by its elegance and simplicity; it doesn't use a Rube-Goldbergian design typical of my constructions (e.g. the Phi calculator).

The next step: a spaceship with three or more constructors for the program to pass through
That seems like a fairly pointless modification, unless you have four constructors in a rectangle.

and after that, a program capable of modifying its own speed/shape/direction.
Universal computation is actually easy to implement, now that Paul Chapman and myself have created usable components. I just need to make a clean Spartan version of my memory tape. (I only have a clean non-Spartan and dirty Spartan version so far.)

*starts plotting how to create a spaceship that can inject its own program into other Gemini spaceships*
A bacteriophage! I would like to see that, along with other biologically-inspired patterns.

You might want to draw inspiration from Langton's Loops. In fact, the four-constructor pattern could behave exactly like Langton's Loops. Samaya made a version known as 'Evoloop', which allows genetic material to be injected into other loops, similar in principle to what you have described.

I've updated my Open Problems page after the discovery of an oblique spaceship (Gemini), arbitrary-speed spaceship (also Gemini), c/5 greyship (by Hartmut Holzwart), and my O(sqrt(log(t))) pattern.
What do you do with ill crystallographers? Take them to the mono-clinic!

TLUL

Post by TLUL » May 21st, 2010, 2:08 pm

calcyman wrote:
TLUL wrote:The next step: a spaceship with three or more constructors for the program to pass through
That seems like a fairly pointless modification, unless you have four constructors in a rectangle.
Pointless for the purposes of a pure spaceship, but useful if a Gemini-type spaceship were to be used as a machine. It would allow a bend in the tape, permitting modified replicators at the end to create arbitrary patterns behind it like a puffer.
calcyman wrote:
TLUL wrote:and after that, a program capable of modifying its own speed/shape/direction.
Universal computation is actually easy to implement, now that Paul Chapman and myself have created usable components. I just need to make a clean Spartan version of my memory tape. (I only have a clean non-Spartan and dirty Spartan version so far.)
Modifying these properties would allow it to become a very versatile machine, if it were capable of replicating other patterns. A Gemini machine might be able to self-replicate, or function as a puffer or breeder. It could also perform much more complicated function, if programmed to do so.
calcyman wrote:
TLUL wrote:*starts plotting how to create a spaceship that can inject its own program into other Gemini spaceships*
A bacteriophage! I would like to see that, along with other biologically-inspired patterns.
The aspect of a bacteriophage that I find most interesting is the fact that it can essentially ignore any other program that is in a Gemini spaceship, so long as it can prevent it from interfering with the construction of another virus. However, the current version of Gemini is probably less complex than any virus would need to be. The program of Gemini is like DNA, and the replicators are proteins. The original Gemini program is only capable of replicating one protein: the replicator itself.
calcyman wrote:You might want to draw inspiration from Langton's Loops. In fact, the four-constructor pattern could behave exactly like Langton's Loops. Samaya made a version known as 'Evoloop', which allows genetic material to be injected into other loops, similar in principle to what you have described.
Really? I didn't know that. I hadn't really figured out how Langton's Loops worked yet, now I have a good reason to look into it.

calcyman

Post by calcyman » May 21st, 2010, 3:00 pm

For your information, Evoloops are included with Golly.

TLUL

Post by TLUL » May 21st, 2010, 3:11 pm

calcyman wrote:For your information, Evoloops are included with Golly.
Yes, I am aware of that, I just hadn't figured out how they worked or why they were significant - to me it just looked like a random pretty pattern.

igblan

Post by igblan » June 16th, 2010, 5:19 pm

New Scientist article:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg2 ... lator.html

Cheers, Paul

calcyman

Post by calcyman » June 17th, 2010, 5:55 am

Ironically, my Pi calculator was (very briefly) mentioned in another recent edition of NewScientist (29 May 2010).

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn1 ... sters.html

Old articles are subscriber-only, so you won't be able to view the relevant section without either buying the issue or subscribing.

My guess is that pentadecathlon.com is going to get a lot more internet traffic now. I hope Koenig's server can cope!

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » June 17th, 2010, 8:42 am

calcyman wrote:My guess is that pentadecathlon.com is going to get a lot more internet traffic now. I hope Koenig's server can cope!
I don't know about LifeNews -- the link to this thread in the conwaylife.com forums comes before the LifeNews link. But there's a pretty-darn-good sidebar in the article about exactly how to download Golly and run the Gemini pattern, and it looks like this has already caused a significant spike in downloads:

The only downside is that the instructions are specific to Golly for Windows, with no mention of the Mac and Linux versions -- you have to click "View all files" on the linked page to find the packages for other platforms.

calcyman

Post by calcyman » June 17th, 2010, 12:23 pm

the link to this thread in the conwaylife.com forums comes before the LifeNews link
The number of unregistered users on conwaylife.com is steadily increasing, and my bet is that it is a direct consequence of the NewScientist article.

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » June 17th, 2010, 6:45 pm

calcyman wrote:The number of unregistered users on conwaylife.com is steadily increasing, and my bet is that it is a direct consequence of the NewScientist article.
Looks like Slashdot picked up the story shortly after you posted this, and the resulting download spike for Golly makes yesterday's surge look kind of small:

But it appears that it didn't make Slashdot's front page, just the Games section -- otherwise I suspect the effect would have been much larger.

doccolinni

Post by doccolinni » June 17th, 2010, 9:39 pm

I can't help but laugh reading the first post, how he casually reported it, he was like "uh... yo guys wassup... so i herd u liek replicating things so i put a replicating thing in your Life so it can replicate... yeah, so anyways cheers and c ya."

I'm a bit of a newbie to the Game of Life, but the hair on my arms stood straight up as I was reading this. Simply amazing.

dclaz

Post by dclaz » June 18th, 2010, 12:31 am

The download links in the original post don't seem to be working. Would it be possible for others to upload it?

mclark

Post by mclark » June 18th, 2010, 1:59 am

Since the Google Docs download link seems to have run out of bandwidth, I mirrored gemini.zip and gemini_with_programs.zip:

http://mclark.name/gol/gemini.zip
http://mclark.name/gol/gemini_with_programs.zip

If concerned parties would prefer that I not mirror the files, please just let me know and I will happily take the files down from my server. I am simply trying to help distribute the discovery.

regards,
Mike

hkoenig

Post by hkoenig » June 18th, 2010, 7:28 pm

Well, so far my server has survived, although the log file for this week is going to be about twice the normal size. (Last week the server died twice when for the first time this year it had some kernel panics and had to reboot.)

mscibing

Post by mscibing » June 18th, 2010, 9:41 pm

mclark wrote:If concerned parties would prefer that I not mirror the files, please just let me know and I will happily take the files down from my server. I am simply trying to help distribute the discovery.
Thanks for mirroring Mark. I was not expecting to be slashdotted and don't have suitable web hosting.

I am not entirely sure of the legal status of Gemini since it is derived from other people's patterns (Silver reflectors, Chapman-Greene construction arms, apologies if I've left anyone out). For my part I'm okay with Gemini and associated programs being freely copied and modified.
-- Andrew Wade

calcyman

Post by calcyman » June 19th, 2010, 7:03 am

I am not entirely sure of the legal status of Gemini
All Life patterns are assumed to be free to use and modify, and to be re-distributed (preferably crediting the author in the process), unless explicitly stated otherwise.

If anyone is interested, I've made a script to convert patterns consisting of well-spaced blocks, eaters, beehives, boats, tubs and loaves into a Geminoid glider synthesis. Andrew's original pattern looks like this has been done manually, with some primitive recursion in the YAML program. ('Primitive recursion' is the technical term for this; I'm not disparaging your work! :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primitive_ ... e_function

By contrast, you won't be able to directly code your YAML program to produce Ack(n) gliders, by defining n at the start of the program, as the Ackermann function is not primitive recursive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ackermann_function

HartmutHolzwart

Post by HartmutHolzwart » June 19th, 2010, 8:24 am

I am interested in the script! What do I need to run it?

Cheers,
Hartmut

calcyman

Post by calcyman » June 19th, 2010, 11:54 am

I am interested in the script! What do I need to run it?
Golly 2.0, and ordinary Python (2.5 should work, I think?). You also need Dave Greene's LifeHistory rule table, which comes with Golly 2.1.

To use the script, simply load the pattern into Golly, and execute the script. It will try to synthesise it, or return a message if it can't (along with the coordinates of the offending object).

It can construct Silver reflectors in all eight orientations, amongst other things:

Code: Select all

x = 365, y = 365, rule = B3/S23
217b2o$146b2o69b2o$146b2o90bo$126bo109b3o11bo$114bo11b3o106bo14b3o$
112b3o14bo105b2o16bo14bo$96bo14bo16b2o122b2o12b3o$96b3o12b2o152bo$99bo
165b2o$98b2o2$264b2o$99b2o144b2o17b2o$99b2o17b2o125b2o$118b2o$207b2o$
156b2o49b2o$156b2o2$248b2o$115b2o111b2o19bo$115bo19b2o91bobo15b3o$116b
3o15bobo93bo15bo$118bo15bo95b2o19b2o$112b2o19b2o117bo$112bo136b3o$113b
3o133bo$115bo5$242b2o$121b2o120bo$121bo121bobo15b2o$102b2o15bobo122b2o
15b2o$102b2o15b2o152b2o$90b2o181bobo$89bobo183bo$89bo185b2o$88b2o7$
262b2o$101b2o159bobo$100bobo161bo$100bo163b2o$99b2o8$252b2o$111b2o139b
2o$111b2o5$263b2o$100b2o140b2o19bo$101bo19b2o120bo17bobo$101bobo17bo
121bobo15b2o$102b2o15bobo122b2o4bo$114bo4b2o128bobo$113bobo133bobo$
113bobo134bo10b2o$102b2o10bo146bobo$101bobo159bo$101bo161b2o$100b2o
146b2o$115b2o132bo$115bo130b3o$116b3o127bo$118bo7$39bo284bo$37b3o284b
3o$36bo290bo$36b2o288b2o5$5b2o350b2o$6bo350bo$6bobo346bobo$7b2o2b2o37b
o262bo37b2o2b2o$11b2o35b3o15bo9bo210bo9bo15b3o35b2o$47bo18b3o5b3o210b
3o5b3o18bo$34b2o11b2o20bo3bo216bo3bo20b2o11b2o$34b2o32b2o3b2o214b2o3b
2o32b2o8$5b2o52b2o242b2o52b2o$4bobo16b2o34b2o242b2o34b2o16bobo$4bo18bo
bo45b2o218b2o45bobo18bo$3b2o20bo44bo2bo216bo2bo44bo20b2o$19b2o4b2o44b
2o4b2o206b2o4b2o44b2o4b2o$19bobo55bobo204bobo55bobo$21bo57bo204bo57bo$
12b2o7b2o56b2o202b2o56b2o7b2o$12b2o20b2o33b2o222b2o33b2o20b2o$35bo34bo
222bo34bo$32b3o32b3o224b3o32b3o$32bo34bo228bo34bo4$2b2o356b2o$3bo356bo
$3bobo352bobo$4b2o352b2o4$23bo316bo$21b3o316b3o$20bo322bo$20b2o320b2o
10$2o360b2o$2o360b2o9$15b2o330b2o$15b2o330b2o50$16b2o330b2o$16b2o330b
2o9$b2o360b2o$b2o360b2o10$21b2o320b2o$21bo322bo$22b3o316b3o$24bo316bo
4$5b2o352b2o$4bobo352bobo$4bo356bo$3b2o356b2o4$33bo34bo228bo34bo$33b3o
32b3o224b3o32b3o$36bo34bo222bo34bo$13b2o20b2o33b2o222b2o33b2o20b2o$13b
2o7b2o56b2o202b2o56b2o7b2o$22bo57bo204bo57bo$20bobo55bobo204bobo55bobo
$20b2o4b2o44b2o4b2o206b2o4b2o44b2o4b2o$4b2o20bo44bo2bo216bo2bo44bo20b
2o$5bo18bobo45b2o218b2o45bobo18bo$5bobo16b2o34b2o242b2o34b2o16bobo$6b
2o52b2o242b2o52b2o8$35b2o32b2o3b2o214b2o3b2o32b2o$35b2o11b2o20bo3bo
216bo3bo20b2o11b2o$48bo18b3o5b3o210b3o5b3o18bo$12b2o35b3o15bo9bo210bo
9bo15b3o35b2o$8b2o2b2o37bo262bo37b2o2b2o$7bobo346bobo$7bo350bo$6b2o
350b2o5$37b2o288b2o$37bo290bo$38b3o284b3o$40bo284bo7$246bo$118bo127b3o
$116b3o130bo$115bo132b2o$115b2o146b2o$100b2o161bo$101bo159bobo$101bobo
146bo10b2o$102b2o10bo134bobo$113bobo133bobo$113bobo128b2o4bo$114bo4b2o
122bobo15b2o$102b2o15bobo121bo17bobo$101bobo17bo120b2o19bo$101bo19b2o
140b2o$100b2o5$252b2o$111b2o139b2o$111b2o8$264b2o$99b2o163bo$100bo161b
obo$100bobo159b2o$101b2o7$275b2o$88b2o185bo$89bo183bobo$89bobo181b2o$
90b2o152b2o15b2o$102b2o15b2o122bobo15b2o$102b2o15bobo121bo$121bo120b2o
$121b2o5$249bo$115bo133b3o$113b3o136bo$112bo117b2o19b2o$112b2o19b2o95b
o15bo$118bo15bo93bobo15b3o$116b3o15bobo91b2o19bo$115bo19b2o111b2o$115b
2o2$207b2o$156b2o49b2o$156b2o$245b2o$118b2o125b2o17b2o$99b2o17b2o144b
2o$99b2o2$265b2o$98b2o165bo$99bo152b2o12b3o$96b3o12b2o122b2o16bo14bo$
96bo14bo16b2o105bo14b3o$112b3o14bo106b3o11bo$114bo11b3o109bo$126bo90b
2o$146b2o69b2o$146b2o!
And here is its output:

Code: Select all

x = 64374, y = 32169, rule = B3/S23
32642b3o$32642bo$32643bo$31871b3o$31873bo$31872bo196$32771b3o$32771bo$
32772bo$31600b3o$31602bo$31601bo209$33076b3o$33076bo$33077bo2$31483b2o
$31482bobo$31484bo31$31452b2o$31453b2o$31452bo4$33113b3o$33113bo$
33114bo161$33138b3o$33138bo$33139bo$31181b3o$31183bo$31182bo3$33166b3o
$33166bo$31163b3o2001bo$31165bo$31164bo17$31143bo$31143b2o$31142bobo2$
33180b3o$33180bo$33181bo10$31121b3o2083b3o$31123bo2083bo$31122bo2085bo
153$33462b3o$33462bo$33463bo$31105b3o$31107bo$31106bo3$33490b3o$33490b
o$31087b3o2401bo$31089bo$31088bo17$31067bo$31067b2o$31066bobo2$33504b
3o$33504bo$33505bo10$31045b3o2483b3o$31047bo2483bo$31046bo2485bo149$
33552b3o$33552bo$33553bo2$30759b2o$30758bobo$30760bo31$30728b2o$30729b
2o$30728bo4$33589b3o$33589bo$33590bo156$33906b3o$33906bo$33907bo2$
30713b2o$30712bobo$30714bo31$30682b2o$30683b2o$30682bo4$33943b3o$
33943bo$33944bo161$33908b3o$33908bo$33909bo$30351b3o$30353bo$30352bo3$
33936b3o$33936bo$30333b3o3601bo$30335bo$30334bo17$30313bo$30313b2o$
30312bobo2$33950b3o$33950bo$33951bo10$30291b3o3683b3o$30293bo3683bo$
30292bo3685bo140$34289b3o$34289bo$34290bo$30318b3o$30320bo$30319bo196$
34324b3o$34324bo$34325bo$29953b3o$29955bo$29954bo195$34670b3o$34670bo$
34671bo$29899b3o$29901bo$29900bo196$34743b3o$34743bo$34744bo$29572b3o$
29574bo$29573bo197$35032b3o$35032bo$35033bo$29461b3o$29463bo$29462bo
196$35181b3o$35181bo$35182bo$29210b3o$29212bo$29211bo221$29089b3o$
29091bo$29090bo$35474b2o$35474bobo$35474bo15$35492b3o$35492bo$35493bo
11$29057b3o$29059bo$29058bo20$35547b3o$35547bo$35548bo$29022b3o$29024b
o$29023bo143$28755bo6800b3o$28755b2o6799bo$28754bobo6800bo28$28716b3o$
28718bo$28717bo6$35594bo$35593b2o$35593bobo132$28686b3o$28688bo$28687b
o2$35842b2o$35842bobo$35842bo12$28668b3o$28670bo$28669bo7190b2o$35859b
2o$35861bo12$28654b3o$28656bo$28655bo27$28629b3o$28631bo$28630bo18$
28616b3o$28618bo$28617bo126$28389b3o$28391bo$28390bo7570b2o$35960b2o$
35962bo24$35984b3o$35984bo$35985bo4$28368b2o$28367bobo$28369bo18$
28348b2o$28347bobo$28349bo164$28291b3o8000bo$28293bo7999b2o$28292bo
8000bobo28$36331b3o$36331bo$36332bo6$28255bo$28255b2o$28254bobo161$
27952bo8400b3o$27952b2o8399bo$27951bobo8400bo28$27913b3o$27915bo$
27914bo6$36391bo$36390b2o$36390bobo146$27897b3o$27899bo$27898bo8774b2o
$36672b2o$36674bo197$36747b3o$36747bo$27572b2o9174bo$27573b2o$27572bo
194$37086b3o$37086bo$37087bo$27515b3o$27517bo$27516bo196$37127b3o$
37127bo$37128bo$27156b3o$27158bo$27157bo193$27131b3o$27133bo$27132bo2$
37487b2o$37487bobo$37487bo12$27113b3o$27115bo$27114bo10390b2o$37504b2o
$37506bo12$27099b3o$27101bo$27100bo27$27074b3o$27076bo$27075bo18$
27061b3o$27063bo$27062bo126$26744b3o$26746bo$26745bo10770b2o$37515b2o$
37517bo24$37539b3o$37539bo$37540bo4$26723b2o$26722bobo$26724bo18$
26703b2o$26702bobo$26704bo144$26720b3o$26722bo$26721bo2$37876b2o$
37876bobo$37876bo12$26702b3o$26704bo$26703bo11190b2o$37893b2o$37895bo
12$26688b3o$26690bo$26689bo27$26663b3o$26665bo$26664bo18$26650b3o$
26652bo$26651bo126$26355b3o$26357bo$26356bo11570b2o$37926b2o$37928bo
24$37950b3o$37950bo$37951bo4$26334b2o$26333bobo$26335bo18$26314b2o$
26313bobo$26315bo148$38277b3o$38277bo$38278bo$26306b3o$26308bo$26307bo
196$38336b3o$38336bo$38337bo$25965b3o$25967bo$25966bo204$38689b3o$
38689bo$25914b2o12774bo$25915b2o$25914bo197$25555b3o$25557bo$25556bo
13174b2o$38730b2o$38732bo196$25497b3o$25499bo$25498bo13574b2o$39072b2o
$39074bo197$39147b3o$39147bo$25172b2o13974bo$25173b2o$25172bo202$
39473b3o$39473bo$39474bo$25106b3o$25108bo$25107bo15$39500b3o$39500bo$
25083b2o14416bo$25084b2o$25083bo177$39537b3o$39537bo$39538bo$24770b3o$
24772bo$24771bo15$39564b3o$39564bo$24747b2o14816bo$24748b2o$24747bo
168$24719b3o$24721bo$24720bo2$39875b2o$39875bobo$39875bo12$24701b3o$
24703bo$24702bo15190b2o$39892b2o$39894bo12$24687b3o$24689bo$24688bo27$
24662b3o$24664bo$24663bo18$24649b3o$24651bo$24650bo126$24356b3o$24358b
o$24357bo15570b2o$39927b2o$39929bo24$39951b3o$39951bo$39952bo4$24335b
2o$24334bobo$24336bo18$24315b2o$24314bobo$24316bo163$24289b3o$24291bo$
24290bo$40274b2o$40274bobo$40274bo15$40292b3o$40292bo$40293bo11$24257b
3o$24259bo$24258bo20$40347b3o$40347bo$40348bo$24222b3o$24224bo$24223bo
143$23955bo16400b3o$23955b2o16399bo$23954bobo16400bo28$23916b3o$23918b
o$23917bo6$40394bo$40393b2o$40393bobo158$40477b3o$40477bo$40478bo2$
23684b2o$23683bobo$23685bo31$23653b2o$23654b2o$23653bo4$40514b3o$
40514bo$40515bo160$40936b3o$40936bo$40937bo$23779b3o$23781bo$23780bo3$
40964b3o$40964bo$23761b3o17201bo$23763bo$23762bo17$23741bo$23741b2o$
23740bobo2$40978b3o$40978bo$40979bo10$23719b3o17283b3o$23721bo17283bo$
23720bo17285bo146$23260b3o$23262bo$23261bo17574b2o$40835b2o$40837bo
196$41383b3o$41383bo$23408b2o17974bo$23409b2o$23408bo196$41236b3o$
41236bo$41237bo$22865b3o$22867bo$22866bo208$41488b3o$41488bo$41489bo2$
22695b2o$22694bobo$22696bo31$22664b2o$22665b2o$22664bo4$41525b3o$
41525bo$41526bo160$41925b3o$41925bo$41926bo$22768b3o$22770bo$22769bo3$
41953b3o$41953bo$22750b3o19201bo$22752bo$22751bo17$22730bo$22730b2o$
22729bobo2$41967b3o$41967bo$41968bo10$22708b3o19283b3o$22710bo19283bo$
22709bo19285bo135$22607b3o$22609bo$22608bo$42178b3o$42178bo$42179bo
214$42078b3o$42078bo$42079bo$22121b3o$22123bo$22122bo3$42106b3o$42106b
o$22103b3o20001bo$22105bo$22104bo17$22083bo$22083b2o$22082bobo2$42120b
3o$42120bo$42121bo10$22061b3o20083b3o$22063bo20083bo$22062bo20085bo
149$21922b2o20385b3o$21921bobo20385bo$21923bo20386bo17$21901b3o$21903b
o$21902bo9$42337b2o$42336b2o$42338bo26$42382b3o$42382bo$42383bo144$
42699b3o$42699bo$42700bo$21942b3o$21944bo$21943bo3$42727b3o$42727bo$
21924b3o20801bo$21926bo$21925bo17$21904bo$21904b2o$21903bobo2$42741b3o
$42741bo$42742bo10$21882b3o20883b3o$21884bo20883bo$21883bo20885bo153$
21765b3o$21767bo$21766bo$42922b3o$42922bo$42923bo3$21737b3o$21739bo$
21738bo21201b3o$42940bo$42941bo17$42962bo$42961b2o$42961bobo2$21723b3o
$21725bo$21724bo10$21696b3o21283b3o$21698bo21283bo$21697bo21285bo137$
42859b3o$42859bo$42860bo$21288b3o$21290bo$21289bo195$43353b3o$43353bo$
43354bo$21382b3o$21384bo$21383bo211$20859b3o$20861bo$20860bo22370b2o$
43230b2o$43232bo24$43254b3o$43254bo$43255bo4$20838b2o$20837bobo$20839b
o18$20818b2o$20817bobo$20819bo137$43484b3o$43484bo$43485bo$20713b3o$
20715bo$20714bo195$43928b3o$43928bo$43929bo$20757b3o$20759bo$20758bo
192$20615b3o$20617bo$20616bo2$44171b2o$44171bobo$44171bo12$20597b3o$
20599bo$20598bo23590b2o$44188b2o$44190bo12$20583b3o$20585bo$20584bo27$
20558b3o$20560bo$20559bo18$20545b3o$20547bo$20546bo116$20081b3o$20083b
o$20082bo2$44037b2o$44037bobo$44037bo12$20063b3o$20065bo$20064bo23990b
2o$44054b2o$44056bo12$20049b3o$20051bo$20050bo27$20024b3o$20026bo$
20025bo18$20011b3o$20013bo$20012bo125$20193b3o$20195bo$20194bo24370b2o
$44564b2o$44566bo24$44588b3o$44588bo$44589bo4$20172b2o$20171bobo$
20173bo18$20152b2o$20151bobo$20153bo144$44502b3o$44502bo$44503bo$
19720b3o$19722bo$19721bo195$44922b3o$44922bo$44923bo$19740b3o$19742bo$
19741bo188$19277b3o$19279bo$19278bo2$44833b2o$44833bobo$44833bo12$
19259b3o$19261bo$19260bo25590b2o$44850b2o$44852bo12$19245b3o$19247bo$
19246bo27$19220b3o$19222bo$19221bo18$19207b3o$19209bo$19208bo125$
45104b3o$45104bo$19133b2o25970bo$19134b2o$19133bo24$19109b3o$19111bo$
19110bo4$45126b2o$45126bobo$45126bo18$45146b2o$45146bobo$45146bo144$
19139b3o$19141bo$19140bo26370b2o$45510b2o$45512bo24$45534b3o$45534bo$
45535bo4$19118b2o$19117bobo$19119bo18$19098b2o$19097bobo$19099bo134$
45766b3o$45766bo$45767bo2$19011b2o$19010bobo$19012bo12$45784b3o$45784b
o$18993b2o26790bo$18994b2o$18993bo12$45798b3o$45798bo$45799bo27$45823b
3o$45823bo$45824bo18$45836b3o$45836bo$45837bo121$45637b3o$45637bo$
45638bo$18466b3o$18468bo$18467bo195$46175b3o$46175bo$46176bo$18604b3o$
18606bo$18605bo221$18074b3o28000bo$18076bo27999b2o$18075bo28000bobo28$
46114b3o$46114bo$46115bo6$18038bo$18038b2o$18037bobo158$17910b3o$
17912bo$17911bo$46295b2o$46295bobo$46295bo15$46313b3o$46313bo$46314bo
11$17878b3o$17880bo$17879bo20$46368b3o$46368bo$46369bo$17843b3o$17845b
o$17844bo142$17933bo28800b3o$17933b2o28799bo$17932bobo28800bo28$17894b
3o$17896bo$17895bo6$46772bo$46771b2o$46771bobo160$17768bo29200b3o$
17768b2o29199bo$17767bobo29200bo28$17729b3o$17731bo$17730bo6$47007bo$
47006b2o$47006bobo145$17257b3o$17259bo$17258bo29574b2o$46832b2o$46834b
o196$47386b3o$47386bo$17411b2o29974bo$17412b2o$17411bo213$47261b3o$
47261bo$47262bo2$16868b2o$16867bobo$16869bo31$16837b2o$16838b2o$16837b
o4$47298b3o$47298bo$47299bo160$47752b3o$47752bo$47753bo$16995b3o$
16997bo$16996bo3$47780b3o$47780bo$16977b3o30801bo$16979bo$16978bo17$
16957bo$16957b2o$16956bobo2$47794b3o$47794bo$47795bo10$16935b3o30883b
3o$16937bo30883bo$16936bo30885bo148$47625b3o$47625bo$47626bo$16454b3o$
16456bo$16455bo195$48187b3o$48187bo$48188bo$16616b3o$16618bo$16617bo
205$48040b3o$48040bo$48041bo$16069b3o$16071bo$16070bo195$48572b3o$
48572bo$48573bo$16201b3o$16203bo$16202bo246$48441b3o$48441bo$48442bo$
15670b3o$15672bo$15671bo195$48973b3o$48973bo$48974bo$15802b3o$15804bo$
15803bo205$48826b3o$48826bo$48827bo$15255b3o$15257bo$15256bo195$49388b
3o$49388bo$49389bo$15417b3o$15419bo$15418bo231$14861bo34400b3o$14861b
2o34399bo$14860bobo34400bo28$14822b3o$14824bo$14823bo6$49300bo$49299b
2o$49299bobo158$14984b3o$14986bo$14985bo$49769b2o$49769bobo$49769bo15$
49787b3o$49787bo$49788bo11$14952b3o$14954bo$14953bo20$49842b3o$49842bo
$49843bo$14917b3o$14919bo$14918bo131$14459b3o$14461bo$14460bo35170b2o$
49630b2o$49632bo24$49654b3o$49654bo$49655bo4$14438b2o$14437bobo$14439b
o18$14418b2o$14417bobo$14419bo134$14617b3o$14619bo$14618bo2$50173b2o$
50173bobo$50173bo12$14599b3o$14601bo$14600bo35590b2o$50190b2o$50192bo
12$14585b3o$14587bo$14586bo27$14560b3o$14562bo$14561bo18$14547b3o$
14549bo$14548bo143$50045b3o$50045bo$50046bo$14088b3o$14090bo$14089bo3$
50073b3o$50073bo$14070b3o36001bo$14072bo$14071bo17$14050bo$14050b2o$
14049bobo2$50087b3o$50087bo$50088bo10$14028b3o36083b3o$14030bo36083bo$
14029bo36085bo153$50280b3o$50280bo$50281bo$13923b3o$13925bo$13924bo3$
50308b3o$50308bo$13905b3o36401bo$13907bo$13906bo17$13885bo$13885b2o$
13884bobo2$50322b3o$50322bo$50323bo10$13863b3o36483b3o$13865bo36483bo$
13864bo36485bo148$50735b3o$50735bo$50736bo2$13942b2o$13941bobo$13943bo
31$13911b2o$13912b2o$13911bo4$50772b3o$50772bo$50773bo155$50970b3o$
50970bo$50971bo2$13777b2o$13776bobo$13778bo31$13746b2o$13747b2o$13746b
o4$51007b3o$51007bo$51008bo145$50838b3o$50838bo$50839bo$13267b3o$
13269bo$13268bo195$51376b3o$51376bo$51377bo$13405b3o$13407bo$13406bo
199$51248b3o$51248bo$12873b2o38374bo$12874b2o$12873bo196$51506b3o$
51506bo$12731b2o38774bo$12732b2o$12731bo196$12739b3o$12741bo$12740bo
39174b2o$51914b2o$51916bo196$12597b3o$12599bo$12598bo39574b2o$52172b2o
$52174bo199$52052b3o$52052bo$12077b2o39974bo$12078b2o$12077bo199$
52303b3o$52303bo$52304bo$11921b3o$11923bo$11922bo195$52723b3o$52723bo$
52724bo$11941b3o$11943bo$11942bo192$11793b3o$11795bo$11794bo41174b2o$
52968b2o$52970bo197$11259b3o$11261bo$11260bo41574b2o$52834b2o$52836bo
196$53386b3o$53386bo$11411b2o41974bo$11412b2o$11411bo195$53285b3o$
53285bo$53286bo$10914b3o$10916bo$10915bo195$53729b3o$53729bo$53730bo$
10958b3o$10960bo$10959bo204$53660b3o$53660bo$53661bo$10489b3o$10491bo$
10490bo218$10310b3o$10312bo$10311bo$53895b2o$53895bobo$53895bo15$
53913b3o$53913bo$53914bo11$10278b3o$10280bo$10279bo20$53968b3o$53968bo
$53969bo$10243b3o$10245bo$10244bo140$54114b3o$54114bo$54115bo$10130b2o
$10129bobo$10131bo15$10111b3o$10113bo$10112bo11$54146b3o$54146bo$
54147bo20$10056b3o$10058bo$10057bo$54181b3o$54181bo$54182bo140$10131b
3o$10133bo$10132bo$54516b2o$54516bobo$54516bo15$54534b3o$54534bo$
54535bo11$10099b3o$10101bo$10100bo20$54589b3o$54589bo$54590bo$10064b3o
$10066bo$10065bo140$54735b3o$54735bo$54736bo$9951b2o$9950bobo$9952bo
15$9932b3o$9934bo$9933bo11$54767b3o$54767bo$54768bo20$9877b3o$9879bo$
9878bo$54802b3o$54802bo$54803bo117$54954b3o$54954bo$54955bo$9783b3o$
9785bo$9784bo221$9288bo45600b3o$9288b2o45599bo$9287bobo45600bo28$9249b
3o$9251bo$9250bo6$54927bo$54926b2o$54926bobo158$9357b3o$9359bo$9358bo$
55342b2o$55342bobo$55342bo15$55360b3o$55360bo$55361bo11$9325b3o$9327bo
$9326bo20$55415b3o$55415bo$55416bo$9290b3o$9292bo$9291bo119$55237b3o$
55237bo$55238bo$8866b3o$8868bo$8867bo195$55777b3o$55777bo$55778bo$
9006b3o$9008bo$9007bo203$8462b3o$8464bo$8463bo47170b2o$55633b2o$55635b
o24$55657b3o$55657bo$55658bo4$8441b2o$8440bobo$8442bo18$8421b2o$8420bo
bo$8422bo144$56183b3o$56183bo$8612b2o47570bo$8613b2o$8612bo24$8588b3o$
8590bo$8589bo4$56205b2o$56205bobo$56205bo18$56225b2o$56225bobo$56225bo
170$8077bo48000b3o$8077b2o47999bo$8076bobo48000bo28$8038b3o$8040bo$
8039bo6$56116bo$56115b2o$56115bobo158$8168b3o$8170bo$8169bo$56553b2o$
56553bobo$56553bo15$56571b3o$56571bo$56572bo11$8136b3o$8138bo$8137bo
20$56626b3o$56626bo$56627bo$8101b3o$8103bo$8102bo145$56658b3o$56658bo$
56659bo$7901b3o$7903bo$7902bo3$56686b3o$56686bo$7883b3o48801bo$7885bo$
7884bo17$7863bo$7863b2o$7862bobo2$56700b3o$56700bo$56701bo10$7841b3o
48883b3o$7843bo48883bo$7842bo48885bo149$56756b3o$56756bo$56757bo2$
7563b2o$7562bobo$7564bo31$7532b2o$7533b2o$7532bo4$56793b3o$56793bo$
56794bo148$57089b3o$57089bo$7514b2o49574bo$7515b2o$7514bo197$7155b3o$
7157bo$7156bo49974b2o$57130b2o$57132bo202$57473b3o$57473bo$57474bo$
7106b3o$7108bo$7107bo15$57500b3o$57500bo$7083b2o50416bo$7084b2o$7083bo
177$57537b3o$57537bo$57538bo$6770b3o$6772bo$6771bo15$57564b3o$57564bo$
6747b2o50816bo$6748b2o$6747bo178$6698b3o$6700bo$6699bo51170b2o$57869b
2o$57871bo24$57893b3o$57893bo$57894bo4$6677b2o$6676bobo$6678bo18$6657b
2o$6656bobo$6658bo145$57946b3o$57946bo$6375b2o51570bo$6376b2o$6375bo
24$6351b3o$6353bo$6352bo4$57968b2o$57968bobo$57968bo18$57988b2o$57988b
obo$57988bo134$6319b3o$6321bo$6320bo2$58275b2o$58275bobo$58275bo12$
6301b3o$6303bo$6302bo51990b2o$58292b2o$58294bo12$6287b3o$6289bo$6288bo
27$6262b3o$6264bo$6263bo18$6249b3o$6251bo$6250bo126$5956b3o$5958bo$
5957bo52370b2o$58327b2o$58329bo24$58351b3o$58351bo$58352bo4$5935b2o$
5934bobo$5936bo18$5915b2o$5914bobo$5916bo145$58677b3o$58677bo$58678bo$
5906b3o$5908bo$5907bo196$58736b3o$58736bo$58737bo$5565b3o$5567bo$5566b
o207$59090b3o$59090bo$5515b2o53574bo$5516b2o$5515bo197$5154b3o$5156bo$
5155bo53974b2o$59129b2o$59131bo206$59501b3o$59501bo$5126b2o54374bo$
5127b2o$5126bo197$4743b3o$4745bo$4744bo54774b2o$59518b2o$59520bo203$
4698b3o$4700bo$4699bo55170b2o$59869b2o$59871bo24$59893b3o$59893bo$
59894bo4$4677b2o$4676bobo$4678bo18$4657b2o$4656bobo$4658bo137$60086b3o
$60086bo$60087bo$4515b3o$4517bo$4516bo196$60127b3o$60127bo$60128bo$
4156b3o$4158bo$4157bo192$3977b3o$3979bo$3978bo2$60333b2o$60333bobo$
60333bo12$3959b3o$3961bo$3960bo56390b2o$60350b2o$60352bo12$3945b3o$
3947bo$3946bo27$3920b3o$3922bo$3921bo18$3907b3o$3909bo$3908bo144$
60661b3o$60661bo$60662bo$3904b3o$3906bo$3905bo3$60689b3o$60689bo$3886b
3o56801bo$3888bo$3887bo17$3866bo$3866b2o$3865bobo2$60703b3o$60703bo$
60704bo10$3844b3o56883b3o$3846bo56883bo$3845bo56885bo149$60753b3o$
60753bo$60754bo2$3560b2o$3559bobo$3561bo31$3529b2o$3530b2o$3529bo4$
60790b3o$60790bo$60791bo147$61056b3o$61056bo$3481b2o57574bo$3482b2o$
3481bo197$3188b3o$3190bo$3189bo57974b2o$61163b2o$61165bo211$61458b3o$
61458bo$61459bo$3101b3o$3103bo$3102bo3$61486b3o$61486bo$3083b3o58401bo
$3085bo$3084bo17$3063bo$3063b2o$3062bobo2$61500b3o$61500bo$61501bo10$
3041b3o58483b3o$3043bo58483bo$3042bo58485bo154$2786b3o$2788bo$2787bo$
61543b3o$61543bo$61544bo3$2758b3o$2760bo$2759bo58801b3o$61561bo$61562b
o17$61583bo$61582b2o$61582bobo2$2744b3o$2746bo$2745bo10$2717b3o58883b
3o$2719bo58883bo$2718bo58885bo140$61832b3o$61832bo$61833bo$2661b3o$
2663bo$2662bo196$61981b3o$61981bo$61982bo$2410b3o$2412bo$2411bo197$
62270b3o$62270bo$62271bo$2299b3o$2301bo$2300bo196$62343b3o$62343bo$
62344bo$1972b3o$1974bo$1973bo195$62689b3o$62689bo$62690bo$1918b3o$
1920bo$1919bo196$62724b3o$62724bo$62725bo$1553b3o$1555bo$1554bo223$
1505bo61600b3o$1505b2o61599bo$1504bobo61600bo28$1466b3o$1468bo$1467bo
6$63144bo$63143b2o$63143bobo161$1138b3o62000bo$1140bo61999b2o$1139bo
62000bobo28$63178b3o$63178bo$63179bo6$1102bo$1102b2o$1101bobo159$1093b
3o$1095bo$1094bo$63478b2o$63478bobo$63478bo15$63496b3o$63496bo$63497bo
11$1061b3o$1063bo$1062bo20$63551b3o$63551bo$63552bo$1026b3o$1028bo$
1027bo143$751bo62800b3o$751b2o62799bo$750bobo62800bo28$712b3o$714bo$
713bo6$63590bo$63589b2o$63589bobo160$675bo63200b3o$675b2o63199bo$674bo
bo63200bo28$636b3o$638bo$637bo6$63914bo$63913b2o$63913bobo159$369b3o$
371bo$370bo$63954b2o$63954bobo$63954bo15$63972b3o$63972bo$63973bo11$
337b3o$339bo$338bo20$64027b3o$64027bo$64028bo$302b3o$304bo$303bo120$
64242b3o$64242bo$64243bo$271b3o$273bo$272bo196$64371b3o$64371bo$64372b
o$3o$2bo$bo!

For some strange, contrived reason, this forum won't allow me to attach files with the extension ".py", ".txt" or any random extension, so I've had to place it in a ZIP-compressed archive. I've coupled it with Dave's LifeHistory rule table, so that you don't have to download Golly 2.1.

It shouldn't be too difficult to adapt the script to make a destruction script.
Attachments
synthesise-pattern.zip
Synthesis script
(6.34 KiB) Downloaded 2130 times

137ben

Post by 137ben » June 19th, 2010, 6:19 pm

This is a very useful script! It could make it significantly quicker to put together a gemini-shooting gun, though I would expect a gun firing Andrew's original gemini would be too large to run.

However, there are quite a number of common still lifes that it cannot construct, severely limiting its use.

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » June 19th, 2010, 7:57 pm

137ben wrote:This is a very useful script! It could make it significantly quicker to put together a gemini-shooting gun, though I would expect a gun firing Andrew's original gemini would be too large to run.
In point of fact, I've gotten through a couple of design cycles for a Gemini gun now, and oddly enough it looks like it will run faster than a Gemini does for the first half of the first construction (!) -- because there are no recipe gliders near each other travelling in opposite directions until the construction of the first Gemini is halfway done. The proliferation of different small hashlife tiles in the Gemini's recipe tape turns out to slow down Golly by about an order of magnitude.

Technically the Gemini spaceships that the new gun will shoot are not identical to Andrew's originals, it's true. The actual replicator units are exactly the same, but it turned out to be a lot easier to build the gun if I changed the recipe a little. Andrew's Python recipe-assembling scripts worked like a charm to recompile the new recipe into twelve glider streams, by the way.

Another odd thing is that I won't need Calcyman's script at all, because all the necessary construction recipes have already been figured out by Andrew and compiled into the glider streams. All a Gemini gun has to do, basically, is send out a Gemini construction recipe every 70 million ticks or so, run the gliders through two replicator units placed at standard relative distances for the Gemini spaceship that you want to build, and suppress the first destruction cycles of the first two newly constructed replicator units. All of which turns out to be fairly straightforward.

I just have one or two technical issues left to solve (depending on how you count them). Which may, of course, end up taking as much time to figure out as everything else I've done so far. But I'm pretty confident that it's doable, and won't take too much more time. -- Or at least it wouldn't if I had more than intermittent access to a computer this weekend, or didn't have to go back to work on Monday...
137ben wrote:However, there are quite a number of common still lifes that it cannot construct, severely limiting its use.
Luckily, the set of common still lifes that it can construct are flexible enough to build a universal computer, so it's less of a limitation than it might seem -- as long as you aren't limited in space or the number of ticks needed to solve a given signal-processing problem.

calcyman

Post by calcyman » June 20th, 2010, 4:24 am

However, there are quite a number of common still lifes that it cannot construct, severely limiting its use.
You can edit the script to add more syntheses (and thus more still lifes). I can't readily think of any other still lifes that are useful and easy to construct, with the possible exception of the ship.

The eater2 is very difficult to synthesise using glider-pair collisions, and so is the tub-with-tail eater (a.k.a. eater5, TWIT). The eater3 doesn't even have a known synthesis!