R-bee and snake

For discussion of specific patterns or specific families of patterns, both newly-discovered and well-known.
Mats

R-bee and snake

Post by Mats » August 13th, 2010, 8:01 am

This is my first post in this forum. I'm sorry if my question is stupid...

In the Census Results in Conway's Life, if you search for Still lifes and Pseudo objects, this pseudo object appears in the list:
.....**.
....*..*
....***.
**.*.**.
**.**.*.
At the moment it's in place 125 with a count of 12,304.

If you instead search for Still lifes excluding Pseudo objects, you would expect to find this object, called R-bee and snake, somewhere in the list with a count of at least 12,304:
..**.
.*..*
.***.
*.**.
**.*.
But I can't find it anywhere in the list. Why?

calcyman

Re: R-bee and snake

Post by calcyman » August 13th, 2010, 8:07 am

R-bee on snake is probably far too rare to appear. R-bee on snake on block, almost paradoxically, appears often enough to feature. I think it has a simple precursor, whereas the R-bee on snake (without the block) doesn't.
What do you do with ill crystallographers? Take them to the mono-clinic!

Mats

Re: R-bee and snake

Post by Mats » August 13th, 2010, 8:24 am

I doubt that explanation. The list doesn't seem to work like that. It seems to count parts of pseudo objects as real objects if you exclude the pseudo objects. E.g.

At the moment the number of blocks including pseudo objects is 28,745,953,903, but if you exclude the pseudo objects it's 29,231,311,537.

What's the explanation for this? I think that some 500,000,000 blocks are "lost" in pseudo objects if you choose to include them, but are counted as separate blocks if you exclude the pseudo objects. Or is there another explanation for this?