Make a Repeatable Replicator

For discussion of specific patterns or specific families of patterns, both newly-discovered and well-known.
AlbertArmStain

Make a Repeatable Replicator

Post by AlbertArmStain » March 29th, 2022, 4:41 pm

When I was thinking during my spare time, the idea of a repeatable replicator popped into my head.
This is what I though of:

Code: Select all

x = 23, y = 12, rule = B3/S23
16bo$16b3o$19bo$18bo$12bo$12b3o5b3o$15bo4bo$14b2o5bo$8bo$2o6b3o$b2o8b
o$o9b2o!
The eaters would count as a 1 in binary slavo and the missing eater would count as a 0 in binary slavo.

toroidalet

Re: Make a Repeatable Replicator

Post by toroidalet » March 29th, 2022, 5:32 pm

What is a "repeatable replicator"? You mention a binary encoding, but not the repeatable replicator it would be used for. Also, this might not need its own thread.
Any sufficiently advanced software is indistinguishable from malice.

AlbertArmStain

Post by AlbertArmStain » March 29th, 2022, 5:57 pm

toroidalet wrote:
March 29th, 2022, 5:32 pm
What is a "repeatable replicator"? You mention a binary encoding, but not the repeatable replicator it would be used for. Also, this might not need its own thread.
I meant that if you remove its child at any given generation then it could be restarted and run normally.

toroidalet

Post by toroidalet » March 29th, 2022, 6:04 pm

How is that different from a normal replicator? By definition, a replicator becomes multiple copies of itself (which behave in the exact same way, so it would automatically run normally if the other children were removed). Patterns like the 0E0P metacell seems to satisfy this condition.
Any sufficiently advanced software is indistinguishable from malice.

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » March 29th, 2022, 6:17 pm

toroidalet wrote:
March 29th, 2022, 6:04 pm
How is that different from a normal replicator? By definition, a replicator becomes multiple copies of itself (which behave in the exact same way, so it would automatically run normally if the other children were removed). Patterns like the 0E0P metacell seems to satisfy this condition.
The first B3/S23 pattern that technically satisfies the "remove an obstructing child and it starts replicating again" is the linear propagator, which is not nearly as cool as the 0E0P metacell but does have the advantage that Golly can run it through multiple cycles in less than a year.

I'm curious about the mention of "binary salvos". The common meaning for that these days is something complicated having to do with reverse caber tossers, at least when you add the word "slow" in the middle. Here it obviously means something different, but it's not at all clear what.

AlbertArmStain

Post by AlbertArmStain » March 29th, 2022, 7:12 pm

dvgrn wrote:
March 29th, 2022, 6:17 pm
toroidalet wrote:
March 29th, 2022, 6:04 pm
The first B3/S23 pattern that technically satisfies the "remove an obstructing child and it starts replicating again" is the linear propagator, which is not nearly as cool as the 0E0P metacell but does have the advantage that Golly can run it through multiple cycles in less than a year.

I'm curious about the mention of "binary salvos". The common meaning for that these days is something complicated having to do with reverse caber tossers, at least when you add the word "slow" in the middle. Here it obviously means something different, but it's not at all clear what.
I’m thinking of something similar to the replicator’s in Von Neumann cellular automata, were it’s all stable parts. (Including the tape)

GUYTU6J

Post by GUYTU6J » March 29th, 2022, 7:51 pm

Is it meant to build an universal constructor instance that copies itself and the internal reading mechanism operates like Life/Signal-Circuitry/constructor-memory-tape.rle?

AlbertArmStain

Post by AlbertArmStain » March 29th, 2022, 8:01 pm

GUYTU6J wrote:
March 29th, 2022, 7:51 pm
Is it meant to build an universal constructor instance that copies itself and the internal reading mechanism operates like Life/Signal-Circuitry/constructor-memory-tape.rle?
Exactly, but it’s a ROM.

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » March 29th, 2022, 10:37 pm

AlbertArmStain wrote:
March 29th, 2022, 8:01 pm
GUYTU6J wrote:
March 29th, 2022, 7:51 pm
Exactly, but it’s a ROM.
That might be something along the lines of the Stable Storage Spaceship, except without any self-destruct mechanism. There's been some discussion of both one-dimensional and 2D data storage mechanisms.

Oddly enough, replicators of this type are often simpler than the related spaceship version of the same design -- basically they're the same except they don't have to bother cleaning up after themselves.