Some questions

For discussion directly related to ConwayLife.com, such as requesting changes to how the forums or wiki function.
Saka
Posts: 3138
Joined: June 19th, 2015, 8:50 pm
Location: In the kingdom of Sultan Hamengkubuwono X

Some questions

Post by Saka » August 12th, 2015, 4:25 am

I have some questions:

1. Is there a minimal age for joining conwaylife?
2. Who is unname66609?
3. Does LifeWiki store the IP Addresses of users?

Ok! That will be it for now
Airy Clave White It Nay

Code: Select all

x = 17, y = 10, rule = B3/S23
b2ob2obo5b2o$11b4obo$2bob3o2bo2b3o$bo3b2o4b2o$o2bo2bob2o3b4o$bob2obo5b
o2b2o$2b2o4bobo2b3o$bo3b5ob2obobo$2bo5bob2o$4bob2o2bobobo!
(Check gen 2)

M. I. Wright
Posts: 372
Joined: June 13th, 2015, 12:04 pm

Re: Some questions

Post by M. I. Wright » August 13th, 2015, 12:15 am

Saka wrote:1. Is there a minimum age for joining conwaylife?
The terms and conditions shown when you first register say nothing about age, and I think the youngest member here, Gustavo, is 11 or 12 - so no.
2. Who is unname66609?
Just another forum user as far as I can tell. They probably live in or near China. Why do you ask?
3. Does LifeWiki store the IP Addresses of users?
Yes.
gamer54657 wrote:God save us all.
God save humanity.

hgkhjfgh
nutshelltlifeDiscord 'Conwaylife Lounge'

Saka
Posts: 3138
Joined: June 19th, 2015, 8:50 pm
Location: In the kingdom of Sultan Hamengkubuwono X

Re: Some questions

Post by Saka » August 13th, 2015, 4:24 am

M. I. Wright wrote:
Saka wrote:1. Is there a minimum age for joining conwaylife?
The terms and conditions shown when you first register say nothing about age, and I think the youngest member here, Gustavo, is 11 or 12 - so no.
2. Who is unname66609?
Just another forum user as far as I can tell. They probably live in or near China. Why do you ask?
3. Does LifeWiki store the IP Addresses of users?
Yes.
1. So it's ok if a a six year old joins?
2. Because he never really posts anything... (just things like "what is sesame oil?"
3. Ok
And by the the way did you notice the second "a" I put in number 1? There's also something else about this line...
Airy Clave White It Nay

Code: Select all

x = 17, y = 10, rule = B3/S23
b2ob2obo5b2o$11b4obo$2bob3o2bo2b3o$bo3b2o4b2o$o2bo2bob2o3b4o$bob2obo5b
o2b2o$2b2o4bobo2b3o$bo3b5ob2obobo$2bo5bob2o$4bob2o2bobobo!
(Check gen 2)

User avatar
Alexey_Nigin
Posts: 323
Joined: August 4th, 2014, 12:33 pm
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Contact:

Re: Some questions

Post by Alexey_Nigin » August 13th, 2015, 5:18 pm

Saka wrote:1. So it's ok if a a six year old joins?
Hmm... Technically, it's perfectly possible, but I can hardly imagine a six-year-old doing stuff like this. If he/she decides to join, definitely tell me the username. If that person achieves anything, I will clap.
Saka wrote:2. Because he never really posts anything... (just things like "what is sesame oil?"
So do you think unname is a bot? It is not probable since he/she used to post some relevant content. Unname is just a strange guy, like Gustavo raised to the 10th power.
Saka wrote:And by the the way did you notice the second "a" I put in number 1?
No. I failed this test for the the second time in my life ;)
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Saka
Posts: 3138
Joined: June 19th, 2015, 8:50 pm
Location: In the kingdom of Sultan Hamengkubuwono X

Re: Some questions

Post by Saka » August 13th, 2015, 8:02 pm

Alexey_Nigin wrote:
Saka wrote:1. So it's ok if a a six year old joins?
Hmm... Technically, it's perfectly possible, but I can hardly imagine a six-year-old doing stuff like this. If he/she decides to join, definitely tell me the username. If that person achieves anything, I will clap.
Saka wrote:2. Because he never really posts anything... (just things like "what is sesame oil?"
So do you think unname is a bot? It is not probable since he/she used to post some relevant content. Unname is just a strange guy, like Gustavo raised to the 10th power.
Saka wrote:And by the the way did you notice the second "a" I put in number 1?
No. I failed this test for the the second time in my life ;)
And I passed.
Airy Clave White It Nay

Code: Select all

x = 17, y = 10, rule = B3/S23
b2ob2obo5b2o$11b4obo$2bob3o2bo2b3o$bo3b2o4b2o$o2bo2bob2o3b4o$bob2obo5b
o2b2o$2b2o4bobo2b3o$bo3b5ob2obobo$2bo5bob2o$4bob2o2bobobo!
(Check gen 2)

Sarp
Posts: 205
Joined: March 1st, 2015, 1:28 pm

Re: Some questions

Post by Sarp » August 30th, 2015, 3:32 am

1. IThe terms and conditions shown when you first register say nothing about age, and I think the youngest member here, Gustavo, is 11 or 12 - so no.
Nope I'm younger
WADUFI

Saka
Posts: 3138
Joined: June 19th, 2015, 8:50 pm
Location: In the kingdom of Sultan Hamengkubuwono X

Re: Some questions

Post by Saka » August 30th, 2015, 3:48 am

Sarp wrote:
1. IThe terms and conditions shown when you first register say nothing about age, and I think the youngest member here, Gustavo, is 11 or 12 - so no.
Nope I'm younger
How young?
Airy Clave White It Nay

Code: Select all

x = 17, y = 10, rule = B3/S23
b2ob2obo5b2o$11b4obo$2bob3o2bo2b3o$bo3b2o4b2o$o2bo2bob2o3b4o$bob2obo5b
o2b2o$2b2o4bobo2b3o$bo3b5ob2obobo$2bo5bob2o$4bob2o2bobobo!
(Check gen 2)

M. I. Wright
Posts: 372
Joined: June 13th, 2015, 12:04 pm

Re: Some questions

Post by M. I. Wright » August 31st, 2015, 1:35 pm

Sarp wrote:Nope I'm younger
Okay. I just used Gustavo as an example because the normal forum age limit (due to COPPA) is 13.
gamer54657 wrote:God save us all.
God save humanity.

hgkhjfgh
nutshelltlifeDiscord 'Conwaylife Lounge'

User avatar
The Turtle
Posts: 102
Joined: May 6th, 2015, 8:14 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Re: Some questions

Post by The Turtle » September 5th, 2015, 1:57 pm

A question:
Are there any catalogues of LWSS collisions? Or other *WSS collisions?
Only two things are constant: change and the speed of light.

User avatar
dvgrn
Moderator
Posts: 6053
Joined: May 17th, 2009, 11:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Some questions

Post by dvgrn » September 6th, 2015, 9:20 am

The Turtle wrote:Are there any catalogues of LWSS collisions? Or other *WSS collisions?
Meaning, a collection of syntheses where the recipes involve colliding LWSSes instead of colliding gliders? For the second question, are combinations of LWSS, MWSS, and HWSS allowed, or should a single recipe have only one kind of *WSS?

In any case, I think the answer is no -- nothing really organized, anyway, because no one has had a long-term use for it. It's fairly easy to put together the beginnings of such a collection by running gencols for a while, along these general lines.

If you just want a table of two-*WSS collisions, that's very easy to generate with gencols. Maybe someone has a stamp collection lying around already.

I've been curious for a while now about construction mechanisms using *WSS slow salvos -- though not curious enough yet to do the research myself, apparently. Seems as if slow LWSSes would probably be just about as effective as gliders for building self-constructing circuitry, and Geminoid construction-arm elbows can be programmed to produce *WSSes instead of gliders. It's several times more expensive, but it allows for four new construction directions.

User avatar
A for awesome
Posts: 1942
Joined: September 13th, 2014, 5:36 pm
Location: 0x-1
Contact:

Re: Some questions

Post by A for awesome » September 6th, 2015, 11:59 am

dvgrn wrote:I've been curious for a while now about construction mechanisms using *WSS slow salvos -- though not curious enough yet to do the research myself, apparently. Seems as if slow LWSSes would probably be just about as effective as gliders for building self-constructing circuitry, and Geminoid construction-arm elbows can be programmed to produce *WSSes instead of gliders. It's several times more expensive, but it allows for four new construction directions.
I know I found a while back that LWSS slow salvos can move a blinker anywhere, but I can't find it anywhere but in a quote in the Accidental Discoveries thread.
x₁=ηx
V ⃰_η=c²√(Λη)
K=(Λu²)/2
Pₐ=1−1/(∫^∞_t₀(p(t)ˡ⁽ᵗ⁾)dt)

$$x_1=\eta x$$
$$V^*_\eta=c^2\sqrt{\Lambda\eta}$$
$$K=\frac{\Lambda u^2}2$$
$$P_a=1-\frac1{\int^\infty_{t_0}p(t)^{l(t)}dt}$$

http://conwaylife.com/wiki/A_for_all

Aidan F. Pierce

User avatar
Mr. Missed Her
Posts: 90
Joined: December 7th, 2016, 12:27 pm
Location: Somewhere within [time in years since this was entered] light-years of you.

Re: Some questions

Post by Mr. Missed Her » February 23rd, 2017, 4:09 pm

What's with the alternating shades of the posts? Sometimes, tables/lists do that so you can keep track of which item is which, but I don't see how it helps here. Besides, there's almost no difference in the colors.
There is life on Mars. We put it there with not-completely-sterilized rovers.
And, for that matter, the Moon, Jupiter, Titan, and 67P/Churyumov–Gerasimenko.

User avatar
Mr. Missed Her
Posts: 90
Joined: December 7th, 2016, 12:27 pm
Location: Somewhere within [time in years since this was entered] light-years of you.

Re: Some questions

Post by Mr. Missed Her » February 23rd, 2017, 4:12 pm

I only noticed when I tried to make the background of my profile photo the color of the posts. As you can see, the colors match up perfectly here, but they don't in the last post.
There is life on Mars. We put it there with not-completely-sterilized rovers.
And, for that matter, the Moon, Jupiter, Titan, and 67P/Churyumov–Gerasimenko.

User avatar
blah
Posts: 244
Joined: April 9th, 2016, 7:22 pm

Re: Some questions

Post by blah » February 24th, 2017, 4:11 am

I never noticed that before. Anyway, can't you just make the background of your avatar transparent?
succ

User avatar
Mr. Missed Her
Posts: 90
Joined: December 7th, 2016, 12:27 pm
Location: Somewhere within [time in years since this was entered] light-years of you.

Re: Some questions

Post by Mr. Missed Her » February 24th, 2017, 8:26 am

I might be able to, but I only know how to edit images through Paint, which is like crappy Photoshop that comes with windows.
There is life on Mars. We put it there with not-completely-sterilized rovers.
And, for that matter, the Moon, Jupiter, Titan, and 67P/Churyumov–Gerasimenko.

Saka
Posts: 3138
Joined: June 19th, 2015, 8:50 pm
Location: In the kingdom of Sultan Hamengkubuwono X

Re: Some questions

Post by Saka » February 24th, 2017, 8:47 am

Mr. Missed Her wrote:I might be able to, but I only know how to edit images through Paint, which is like crappy Photoshop that comes with windows.
Try gimp
Airy Clave White It Nay

Code: Select all

x = 17, y = 10, rule = B3/S23
b2ob2obo5b2o$11b4obo$2bob3o2bo2b3o$bo3b2o4b2o$o2bo2bob2o3b4o$bob2obo5b
o2b2o$2b2o4bobo2b3o$bo3b5ob2obobo$2bo5bob2o$4bob2o2bobobo!
(Check gen 2)

User avatar
blah
Posts: 244
Joined: April 9th, 2016, 7:22 pm

Re: Some questions

Post by blah » February 24th, 2017, 9:53 am

Here's a transparent version.
transparentavatar.png
transparentavatar.png (454 Bytes) Viewed 14555 times
succ

User avatar
Mr. Missed Her
Posts: 90
Joined: December 7th, 2016, 12:27 pm
Location: Somewhere within [time in years since this was entered] light-years of you.

Re: Some questions

Post by Mr. Missed Her » February 24th, 2017, 11:57 am

Well, thanks.
There is life on Mars. We put it there with not-completely-sterilized rovers.
And, for that matter, the Moon, Jupiter, Titan, and 67P/Churyumov–Gerasimenko.

User avatar
gameoflifemaniac
Posts: 843
Joined: January 22nd, 2017, 11:17 am
Location: There too

Re: Some questions

Post by gameoflifemaniac » March 7th, 2017, 11:52 am

Does Nathaniel have access to private messages?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6EoRBvdVPQ
One big dirty Oro. Yeeeeeeeeee...

User avatar
BlinkerSpawn
Posts: 1929
Joined: November 8th, 2014, 8:48 pm
Location: Getting a snacker from R-Bee's

Re: Some questions

Post by BlinkerSpawn » March 7th, 2017, 6:06 pm

gameoflifemaniac wrote:Does Nathaniel have access to private messages?
On this note, how do I delete read private messages?
LifeWiki: Like Wikipedia but with more spaceships. [citation needed]

Image

User avatar
dvgrn
Moderator
Posts: 6053
Joined: May 17th, 2009, 11:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Some questions

Post by dvgrn » March 7th, 2017, 6:12 pm

BlinkerSpawn wrote:
gameoflifemaniac wrote:Does Nathaniel have access to private messages?
On this note, how do I delete read private messages?
Click the checkbox to the right, then choose "Delete marked" at the bottom, from the dropdown where it normally says "Mark/Unmark as important".

Surprisingly well hidden, isn't it? It's a very clever design -- keeps you from deleting things accidentally (or on purpose).

wildmyron
Posts: 1311
Joined: August 9th, 2013, 12:45 am

Re: Some questions

Post by wildmyron » March 7th, 2017, 10:57 pm

gameoflifemaniac wrote:Does Nathaniel have access to private messages?
In theory, yes. PMs are stored as plain text in the database and while there is no direct ability within phpbb for the admin to read PMs, any person or program (such as backup software) with access to the database has access to the content of private messages. I see no reason to be concerned about this.
The latest version of the 5S Project contains over 226,000 spaceships. There is also a GitHub mirror of the collection. Tabulated pages up to period 160 (out of date) are available on the LifeWiki.

User avatar
gameoflifemaniac
Posts: 843
Joined: January 22nd, 2017, 11:17 am
Location: There too

Re: Some questions

Post by gameoflifemaniac » September 9th, 2017, 2:59 pm

What do the stars mean on the thread titles?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6EoRBvdVPQ
One big dirty Oro. Yeeeeeeeeee...

User avatar
blah
Posts: 244
Joined: April 9th, 2016, 7:22 pm

Re: Some questions

Post by blah » September 9th, 2017, 3:10 pm

gameoflifemaniac wrote:What do the stars mean on the thread titles?
From what I've gleaned, the stars appear when you've posted in a thread.
succ

User avatar
gameoflifemaniac
Posts: 843
Joined: January 22nd, 2017, 11:17 am
Location: There too

Re: Some questions

Post by gameoflifemaniac » November 25th, 2017, 1:08 pm

How to create a file link/pattern image for a LifeWiki page?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6EoRBvdVPQ
One big dirty Oro. Yeeeeeeeeee...

Post Reply