Like button in forum request

For discussion directly related to ConwayLife.com, such as requesting changes to how the forums or home page function.
Nathaniel
Site Admin

Re: Like button in forum request

Post by Nathaniel » December 20th, 2021, 5:11 am

silversmith wrote:
May 10th, 2021, 8:04 am
I also think that the sprites for the like button should be switched, where it would be hollow by default and filled in when you like a post. This would give liked posts a higher contrast with the rest of the page, and stand out relative to other posts.
Null wrote:
May 24th, 2021, 4:03 pm
May I request a feature:

Swap colors of the default heart(currently blue) and the liked heart(currently empty),
so that the liked heart(blue) stands out from the default heart(empty)
I finally got around to doing this. Any post you have not liked now display the heart as hollow grey, while posts that you *have* liked now display the heart as filled-in blue.

May13

Post by May13 » June 24th, 2022, 10:16 am

The menu "Show list with all like actions" contains links to user profiles. But these links are broken.
Every link looks like

Code: Select all

https://conwaylife.com/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=2628
instead of correct

Code: Select all

https://conwaylife.com/forums/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=2628
Attachments
404 Not Found
404 Not Found
link.PNG (9.6 KiB) Viewed 1587 times
The latest version of hex-gliders.db have 668 gliders from OT hexagonal rules. Let's find more!
My CA (13 rules)
My scripts: new-glider.py v0.2 (new version), nbsearch2a.py, collector.py v0.3

GUYTU6J

Post by GUYTU6J » December 19th, 2023, 10:22 pm

In light of recent phenomenon where likes are given to some posts so liberally that it is hard to tell whether they show a genuine appreciation of valuable material/hard work or merely mean a marked/notified read without judgement, a second "like"-like button may be better that does not accumulate user counts and takes over the non-appreciation part of usage of the old like button.

confocaloid

Post by confocaloid » December 19th, 2023, 10:36 pm

xkcd 1448 wrote:The universe long dead, IsaAC surveyed the formless chaos. At last, he had arrived at an answer. 'I like you,' he declared to the void, 'but I don't LIKE like you.'
A "like" on a post never carried any particularly meaningful signal, other than "probably those people did read my post". (Even that can be wrong, if the post is edited.) As soon as there is an actual discussion with replies, the number of "likes" is virtually irrelevant and can be safely ignored.

If you are sharing some pattern or script, you can attach an attachment and see how many people download the file.
GUYTU6J wrote:
December 31st, 2022, 4:06 am
EDIT: wait, why did the post above receive a like :roll:
GUYTU6J wrote:
December 19th, 2023, 10:22 pm
In light of recent phenomenon where likes are given to some posts so liberally that it is hard to tell whether they show a genuine appreciation of valuable material/hard work or merely mean a marked/notified read without judgement, a second "like"-like button may be better that does not accumulate user counts and takes over the non-appreciation part of usage of the old like button.
127:1 B3/S234c User:Confocal/R (isotropic rules, incomplete)
Unlikely events happen.
My silence does not imply agreement, nor indifference. If I disagreed with something in the past, then please do not construe my silence as something that could change that.

Haycat2009

Post by Haycat2009 » January 3rd, 2024, 9:43 am

The dislike button will not be constructive as it will encourage some users to spam it on everyone's post, generally lowering morale. Also it could be used to spam notifications.
~ Haycat Durnak, a hard-working editor
Also, support Conway and Friends story mode!
I mean no harm to those who have tested me. But do not take this for granted.

confocaloid

Post by confocaloid » January 3rd, 2024, 9:48 am

Haycat2009 wrote:
January 3rd, 2024, 9:43 am
The dislike button will not be constructive as it will encourage some users to spam it on everyone's post, generally lowering morale. Also it could be used to spam notifications.
FWIW the exact same logic can be applied as an objection to the existing "like" button.

More specifically:
The "like" button is not constructive, as it can encourage some users to more-or-less-mindlessly add it on everyone's post, generally lowering signal-to-noise ratio. Also it can be used to spam notifications.
127:1 B3/S234c User:Confocal/R (isotropic rules, incomplete)
Unlikely events happen.
My silence does not imply agreement, nor indifference. If I disagreed with something in the past, then please do not construe my silence as something that could change that.

Haycat2009

Post by Haycat2009 » January 3rd, 2024, 9:53 am

confocaloid wrote:
January 3rd, 2024, 9:48 am
Haycat2009 wrote:
January 3rd, 2024, 9:43 am
FWIW the exact same logic can be applied as an objection to the existing "like" button.

More specifically:
The "like" button is not constructive, as it can encourage some users to more-or-less-mindlessly add it on everyone's post, generally lowering signal-to-noise ratio. Also it can be used to spam notifications.
Yes, but at least we cannot use it to lower morale and it will not create new types of trolls that spam it just to annoy everyone.

confocaloid

Post by confocaloid » January 3rd, 2024, 9:56 am

Haycat2009 wrote:
January 3rd, 2024, 9:53 am
Everything on the internet can be used to create new types of annoying spam. Obviously that includes the "like" button.

Haycat2009

Post by Haycat2009 » January 3rd, 2024, 11:15 pm

confocaloid wrote:
January 3rd, 2024, 9:56 am
Haycat2009 wrote:
January 3rd, 2024, 9:53 am
Everything on the internet can be used to create new types of annoying spam. Obviously that includes the "like" button.
What about new types of trolls? They spread hate, not love, you know?