Searching

For discussion directly related to ConwayLife.com, such as requesting changes to how the forums or home page function.
Tom Mazanec

Searching

Post by Tom Mazanec » December 18th, 2017, 10:58 pm

How do I search the forum for something, like"tetris" or "digital clock"?

Tom Mazanec

Re: Searching

Post by Tom Mazanec » December 18th, 2017, 11:01 pm

Never mind, I see how I can search each section...I will do that.

dvgrn

Re: Searching

Post by dvgrn » December 18th, 2017, 11:17 pm

Tom Mazanec wrote:Never mind, I see how I can search each section...I will do that.
If you're looking for more complicated things, like three-word phrases with the words in a specific order, then your best bet is actually a Google search:

Code: Select all

"Quest for Tetris" site:www.conwaylife.com/forums
The most annoying limitation of the forum search engine is that it ignores words that are too short or too common... and sometimes a string of such words is exactly what you want to search for.

Also, there's a really infuriating bug: the forum search doesn't just convert hyphens into spaces, it produces wildly inaccurate results when you use them. So a search for "tremi-Snark" produces

No posts were found because the word tremi-snark is not contained in any post.

but a search for "tremi Snark" gives you posts that do in fact contain the word "tremi-Snark".

-----------------

Just a suggestion for if other questions come up similar to this one: it's good to make use of existing threads like the thread for basic questions, to avoid filling up the Active Topics list with too many one-off postings that will eventually push longer-running discussions off the first page. Not a big deal, but definitely a common way of doing things around here.