What about a "Forum Games and Roleplaying" subforum?

For discussion directly related to ConwayLife.com, such as requesting changes to how the forums or home page function.
KittyTac

What about a "Forum Games and Roleplaying" subforum?

Post by KittyTac » December 23rd, 2017, 4:31 am

It would be placed in the Sandbox and would host forum games like "Corrupt a wish" and roleplays. WOuld boost the forum's popularity a lot, and inevitably make more people interested in GoL. I can bring in the population of a forum I know to give it a kickstart.

M. I. Wright

Re: What about a "Forum Games and Roleplaying" subforum?

Post by M. I. Wright » December 23rd, 2017, 2:12 pm

Hm. Forum games like Mafia or Corrupt a Wish would IMO be a wonderful addition to the Random Posts thread or the Sandbox (that is, the subforum, not the section!), but I have a feeling that role-playing activities wouldn't be much of interest to regulars in the mostly-academic spirit of the forum at large -- and therefore perhaps better-relegated to their own thread than to a subforum, if accommodated at all.
Likewise, I don't really feel that bringing in a bunch of new users to kickstart a specially-made roleplaying-slash-forum-games area would go over smoothly, because an interest in those activities would presumably translate shakily (at best) into any sort of interest in GoL, and they would likely after a month or so find themselves isolated in their participation... eventually either quitting or staying in their own bubble and effecting a weird dichotomy between the two sections of the community.
So I'm not too sure, especially with regard to how this could boost the forum's popularity in the long run. I'm aware that my own two cents, however, aren't necessarily shared by the rest of the forum, so I'll wait for somebody else to weigh in before writing it off entirely!

AforAmpere

Re: What about a "Forum Games and Roleplaying" subforum?

Post by AforAmpere » December 23rd, 2017, 4:01 pm

M. I. Wright wrote:Likewise, I don't really feel that bringing in a bunch of new users to kickstart a specially-made roleplaying-slash-forum-games area would go over smoothly, because an interest in those activities would presumably translate shakily (at best) into any sort of interest in GoL, and they would likely after a month or so find themselves isolated in their participation... eventually either quitting or staying in their own bubble and effecting a weird dichotomy between the two sections of the community.
I agree, I feel this would create two groups, the roleplayers, and the CA people. This might be a thing to do in some other forums, but I feel that here would not be the place to do it.
I manage the 5S project, which collects all known spaceship speeds in Isotropic Non-totalistic rules. I also wrote EPE, a tool for searching in the INT rulespace.

Things to work on:
- Find (7,1)c/8 and 9c/10 ships in non-B0 INT.
- EPE improvements.