Updating website

For discussion directly related to ConwayLife.com, such as requesting changes to how the forums or home page function.
Nathaniel
Site Admin

Re: Updating website

Post by Nathaniel » October 3rd, 2019, 6:58 am

muzik wrote:
October 2nd, 2019, 9:37 am
Also, speaking of the wiki, could it be formatted so that it also has the same sort of page top layout as Home and Forums, or would this be too intrusive on the look of the wiki?
I've added a bar to the wiki like the navbar on the main page and the forums pages, linking to the different sections of the sites. Like/dislike?

Edit: And the site is now served over HTTPS instead of HTTP. Again, let me know of any troubles.

Ian07

Post by Ian07 » October 3rd, 2019, 8:39 am

Nathaniel wrote:
October 3rd, 2019, 6:58 am
I've added a bar to the wiki like the navbar on the main page and the forums pages, linking to the different sections of the sites. Like/dislike?
If I'm going to be quite honest, it seems a bit jarring in terms of color compared to the rest of the wiki, and also feels like it gets in the way to an extent. Maybe the links could be moved to the left sidebar?

Nathaniel
Site Admin

Post by Nathaniel » October 3rd, 2019, 8:42 am

Ian07 wrote:
October 3rd, 2019, 8:39 am
If I'm going to be quite honest, it seems a bit jarring in terms of color compared to the rest of the wiki, and also feels like it gets in the way to an extent. Maybe the links could be moved to the left sidebar?
Honestly I kind of agree. I'll leave it up for at least a day though to see if anyone else has comments.

Edit:
muzik wrote:
October 1st, 2019, 5:45 pm
I can't think of any pages I know that use tabs, but this extension looks like it would do the job.
This extension is now available on LifeWiki.

Macbi

Post by Macbi » October 3rd, 2019, 10:12 am

Nathaniel wrote:
October 3rd, 2019, 8:42 am
Ian07 wrote:
October 3rd, 2019, 8:39 am
Honestly I kind of agree. I'll leave it up for at least a day though to see if anyone else has comments.
Moving it to the sidebar would also be fine, but if you keep it where it is then it would be better if you could change the background to a solid colour rather than a gradient and reduce the amount of vertical space above it.

Ian07

Post by Ian07 » October 3rd, 2019, 10:44 am

Another thing that's been broken by the MediaWiki update: the infobox sections such as "Rules" and "Glider synthesis" which were hidden by default and had "show" buttons are now expanded by default with the buttons removed.

Example: Block

muzik

Post by muzik » October 3rd, 2019, 10:47 am

Keep the bar on the main page, but leave it out elsewhere.

rokicki

Post by rokicki » October 3rd, 2019, 10:19 pm

Active topics doesn't seem to work. Or is it me?

wildmyron

Post by wildmyron » October 4th, 2019, 6:42 am

For consistency, I like that the navbar is displayed on the wiki - in particular it bothered me that there was no way to go directly from the wiki to the forum. But it does seem to be a bit out of place because of the contrast with the white background everywhere else on the wiki

====

In this post I attached a screenshot from my mobile device. Initially I had it inline but I took it out because it filled a very large space. However, even as a plain attachment it's still displayed in the post at full size. I don't remember this being the case prior to the forum upgrade.
The 5S project (Smallest Spaceships Supporting Specific Speeds) is now maintained by AforAmpere. The latest collection is hosted on GitHub and contains well over 1,000,000 spaceships.

Semi-active here - recovering from a severe case of LWTDS.

Ian07

Post by Ian07 » October 4th, 2019, 3:05 pm

Videos now also mess with the positioning of text below them: https://www.conwaylife.com/wiki/0E0P_metacell#Videos

Ian07

Post by Ian07 » October 5th, 2019, 12:21 am

Reported by Goldtiger997 on Discord, Template:OscNumbers was also broken by the update.

bprentice

Post by bprentice » October 5th, 2019, 8:21 pm

I strongly object to advertising on this forum.

Brian Prentice
Last edited by bprentice on October 6th, 2019, 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nathaniel
Site Admin

Post by Nathaniel » October 5th, 2019, 8:24 pm

bprentice wrote:
October 5th, 2019, 8:21 pm
I strongly object to adverting on this forum.

Brian Prentice
Please see this thread. I turned on ads today for non-logged-in users to see if it could reasonably sustain the bounty program mentioned there. Ads will never display if you're logged in.

That said, if people still strongly object then of course I'll remove them.

bprentice

Post by bprentice » October 5th, 2019, 8:30 pm

I still strongly object. I also object to bounties and like buttons. This forum should be entirely devoted to the discussion of cellular automata. There is already far too much pollution generated by our younger members.

Brian Prentice
Last edited by bprentice on October 6th, 2019, 9:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ian07

Post by Ian07 » October 5th, 2019, 9:02 pm

Please remove the ads. I was initially open to the idea but looking at screenshots on Discord they're way too obtrusive (and from what I've heard not always SFW) and will likely drive new users away from the site.
bprentice wrote:
October 5th, 2019, 8:30 pm
I also object to bounties and Like buttons. This forum should be entirely devoted to the discussion of cellular automata. There is already far to much pollution generated by our younger members.
I'm curious to hear your argument against people offering bounties. I can understand not liking the idea of like buttons, since that could lead to a popularity contest mentality as stated in the like button thread, but bounties to me seem like a great way to stimulate further research into CA and I don't really see the harm in them. Also what "pollution" are you talking about exactly?

testitemqlstudop

Post by testitemqlstudop » October 5th, 2019, 11:11 pm

bprentice wrote:
There is already far to much pollution generated by our younger members.
It is perhaps offensive to discriminate against a noticeable portion of our community that in fact do contribute to cellular automaton. On the other hand, I think that your "Partitioned Cellular Automata" thread is pollution from your daily double - triple - quadruple - quintuple posting, but I do not openly voice that until now.

EDIT: This is literally why I want dislike buttons.
bprentice wrote:
This forum should be entirely devoted to the discussion of cellular automata.
No forum wholly accomplished that. Furthermore, how do like buttons and bounties diverge from cellular automata?

Nathaniel
Site Admin

Post by Nathaniel » October 6th, 2019, 8:41 pm

Ads have been removed. They might take an hour or so to completely deactivate due to caching issues.

Ian07

Post by Ian07 » October 18th, 2019, 5:08 pm

This special page gives me an error: https://www.conwaylife.com/wiki/Special:WantedPages

None of the other special pages do this, and it appears to work fine for everyone else. I'm on Windows 10 Home 64-bit, Firefox 69.0.3.

Meanwhile, these are inaccurate, which I had reported before but which nothing was done about:

https://www.conwaylife.com/wiki/Special:BrokenRedirects
https://www.conwaylife.com/wiki/Special:ShortPages (RLE:Loafer shouldn't be listed because it's in a different namespace)

Hooloovoo

Post by Hooloovoo » October 29th, 2019, 2:20 am

I think the formating in the Forum Rules post has changed. I'm guessing that code and /code tags should be in plain text somehow, and the wiki tags shouldn't be in the code block.

Moosey

Post by Moosey » October 29th, 2019, 6:31 am

Hooloovoo wrote:
October 29th, 2019, 2:20 am
I think the formating in the Forum Rules post has changed. I'm guessing that code and /code tags should be in plain text somehow, and the wiki tags shouldn't be in the code block.
The problem was that the post originally (I slightly altered it though to prevent the same thing from happening) said:
...within [ code] tags...
Back when a single tag did not behave as a tag that closed at the end of the post
not active here but active on discord

Nathaniel
Site Admin

Post by Nathaniel » October 29th, 2019, 11:21 am

Hooloovoo wrote:
October 29th, 2019, 2:20 am
Fixed, thanks.
Ian07 wrote:
October 18th, 2019, 5:08 pm
This special page gives me an error: https://www.conwaylife.com/wiki/Special:WantedPages

None of the other special pages do this, and it appears to work fine for everyone else. I'm on Windows 10 Home 64-bit, Firefox 69.0.3.

Meanwhile, these are inaccurate, which I had reported before but which nothing was done about:

https://www.conwaylife.com/wiki/Special:BrokenRedirects
https://www.conwaylife.com/wiki/Special:ShortPages (RLE:Loafer shouldn't be listed because it's in a different namespace)
Sorry for not responding to this yet -- all of these problems are caused by some sort of internal inconsistency in the MediaWiki database, but I'm not sure what yet or how to fix it. Some page or category in the database that one table thinks exists, but another doesn't for some reason. I'm working on it.

Gustone

Post by Gustone » October 29th, 2019, 11:28 am

The only thing i still want is customizable width

muzik

Post by muzik » December 30th, 2019, 12:03 pm

A thought: could a link to Catagolue be added on the bar with the home/lifewiki/etc. links?

muzik

Post by muzik » February 1st, 2020, 2:22 pm

I might be a bit late to report this, but my contributions page seems to do an annoying dance when a specific contribution is present on it. Seems to be affected be screen size though, i'm using ipad air 2 but I don't think it affects PC, may be wrong though.

https://www.conwaylife.com/w/index.php? ... esoMan3000

Ian07

Post by Ian07 » February 25th, 2020, 7:48 pm

Weird bug with "What links here": https://www.conwaylife.com/wiki/User:Ian07

Try selecting various namespace options; it seems almost random which pages are removed from the list and which are kept. For example, selecting main namespace results in some, but not all of the non-article pages being removed. Meanwhile, selecting "LifeWiki" removes LifeWiki:Administrators for some reason.

Apple Bottom

Post by Apple Bottom » March 11th, 2020, 11:59 am

Ian07 wrote:
October 3rd, 2019, 10:44 am
Another thing that's been broken by the MediaWiki update: the infobox sections such as "Rules" and "Glider synthesis" which were hidden by default and had "show" buttons are now expanded by default with the buttons removed.
(This should be fixed now.)
If you speak, your speech must be better than your silence would have been. — Arabian proverb

Catagolue: Apple Bottom • Life Wiki: Apple Bottom • Twitter: @_AppleBottom_

Proud member of the Pattern Raiders!