Sandbox post count incrementation?

For discussion directly related to ConwayLife.com, such as requesting changes to how the forums or home page function.

Is this a good idea?

Yes
56%
Neutral/Something else should be done first
11%
No
33%

Total votes: 18

goldenratio

Sandbox post count incrementation?

Post by goldenratio » March 12th, 2021, 2:25 pm

A spin-off from the "Sandboxification" thread.

I brought this up in that thread but I don't think anyone noticed, so I would like to get a consensus. A lot of the activity in the Sandbox is probably post-farming just to increase post counts. (I don't want to point fingers but I'm looking at one thread in particular...) If we disabled Sandbox posts towards the post count, it would encourage users to actually use the Sandbox for fun, instead of use it to postfarm and thus clutter up the forum.

As for implementation, I know this is very easy, as it is just an unchecking of a single check box (unless a drastic forum update happened recently.) I checked, and the way it would work would be that current post counts would stay the same, but new posts in the Sandbox would not count toward your post count.

EDIT: Even though work is being done to correct the Sandbox, this still applies, since we're finding workarounds to still postfarm while keeping posts as loosely CA-related as possible. (Should be pretty obvious which thread I'm referring to now.)
Last edited by goldenratio on March 24th, 2021, 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oscillator discussion is boring me out. I'll return when the cgol community switches to something else.

Me on LifeWiki

wwei47

Re: Sandbox post count incrementation?

Post by wwei47 » March 12th, 2021, 2:43 pm

That deals collateral damage to non-post-farming stuff in the sandbox. I also don't think it has the intention of post farming either, some fun games require lots of posts. And then there are things like the Symbiosis conduit label dump, where I dump labeled conduits into a thread so that I can put them in the collection later. It would clutter the Symbiosis thread if I dumped them there, and I don't want to create another thread in the OCA forum, so the sandbox was the logical place to put it.
Help me find high-period c/2 technology!
My guide: https://bit.ly/3uJtzu9
My c/2 tech collection: https://bit.ly/3qUJg0u
Overview of periods: https://bit.ly/3LwE0I5
Most wanted periods: 76,116

goldenratio

Post by goldenratio » March 12th, 2021, 3:20 pm

wwei47 wrote:
March 12th, 2021, 2:43 pm
That deals collateral damage to non-post-farming stuff in the sandbox.
I don't think you really get the point of the proposed change. The purpose of this would be to eliminate the post-farming posts (which likely make up most of the posts in there at this point), while keeping the other, deserved posts. I doubt the non-incrementation would discourage rightful Sandbox users from using it. Besides, we're going to have to take an approach similar to antibiotics - you have to kill some of the good bacteria to get rid of the bad bacteria.

But let's get a moderator's opinion on this first.
Oscillator discussion is boring me out. I'll return when the cgol community switches to something else.

Me on LifeWiki

wwei47

Post by wwei47 » March 12th, 2021, 3:22 pm

goldenratio wrote:
March 12th, 2021, 3:20 pm
Besides, we're going to have to take an approach similar to antibiotics - you have to kill some of the good bacteria to get rid of the bad bacteria.
And phages don't.
Help me find high-period c/2 technology!
My guide: https://bit.ly/3uJtzu9
My c/2 tech collection: https://bit.ly/3qUJg0u
Overview of periods: https://bit.ly/3LwE0I5
Most wanted periods: 76,116

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » March 12th, 2021, 3:27 pm

This moderator's opinion may not be too helpful. I don't know where to look to find this rumored easy checkbox to keep Sandbox posts from incrementing the post count.

I also have absolutely no idea why in Conway's name anyone would care in the slightest whether their post count was N, or N+1, or 2*N, or N*N. Maybe I should just post something to say "Everyone Now Officially Has An Infinite Post Count". That should make everyone as happy as possible, right?

bubblegum

Post by bubblegum » March 12th, 2021, 4:02 pm

dvgrn wrote:
March 12th, 2021, 3:27 pm
I also have absolutely no idea why in Conway's name anyone would care in the slightest whether their post count was N, or N+1, or 2*N, or N*N. Maybe I should just post something to say "Everyone Now Officially Has An Infinite Post Count". That should make everyone as happy as possible, right?
Which board/thread does everyone have the most posts in then?
Each day is a hidden opportunity, a frozen waterfall that's waiting to be realised, and one that I'll probably be ignoring
sonata wrote:
July 2nd, 2020, 8:33 pm
conwaylife signatures are amazing[citation needed]
anything

goldenratio

Post by goldenratio » March 13th, 2021, 3:34 pm

dvgrn wrote:
March 12th, 2021, 3:27 pm
I don't know where to look to find this rumored easy checkbox to keep Sandbox posts from incrementing the post count.
I can't verify (because I don't mod any phpbb forums of course), but it's apparently in
Permissions>advanced>misc permissions>Increment post counter
Also, I feel like this shouldn't be taken as a new suggestion, but rather as something which should have been implemented from the beginning, but wasn't. Still, better late than never.

Me on LifeWiki

BokaBB2

Post by BokaBB2 » March 15th, 2021, 11:27 am

This would destroy my games that are absolutely not made for that thing and can go infinitely.
No way this can be accepted. NO WAY.
Have a good day!

BokaBB

Hunting

Post by Hunting » March 16th, 2021, 9:59 am

BokaBB2 wrote:
March 15th, 2021, 11:27 am
This would destroy my games that are absolutely not made for that thing and can go infinitely.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
Beware - you are acting against the consensus (if this becomes the consensus. I went for neutral for reference) and thus the community. If you do not like this community, just go and find another community that fits you and accept you. (I'm sorry if I'm being rude here - I have no idea (as in the 23/3/3 thread, which I meant to state "this is known" as usual but ended up being rude), and honestly I'm trying to be as calm as possible.)

BTW Sockpuppets is suddenly becoming a big problems. BokaBB have three and Trump have four (or five).

Schiaparelliorbust

Post by Schiaparelliorbust » March 16th, 2021, 10:07 am

BokaBB2 wrote:
Have a good day!

BokaBB
Not many of your games are even played.
Hunting wrote:
March 16th, 2021, 9:59 am
BTW Sockpuppets is suddenly becoming a big problems. BokaBB have three and Trump have four (or five).
What are sockpuppets?
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere

Hunting

Post by Hunting » March 16th, 2021, 10:36 am

Schiaparelliorbust wrote:
March 16th, 2021, 10:07 am
BokaBB2 wrote:
Have a good day!

BokaBB
Not many of your games are even played.
Hunting wrote:
March 16th, 2021, 9:59 am
What are sockpuppets?
1. Agreed.

2. See a Wikipedia Policy to know. Basically, abused multiaccounts.

{censored}

Post by {censored} » March 19th, 2021, 10:34 am

I would suggest this to apply to all threads but there also could be a special permission to continue the thread. I voted ,,No" for some reason though, probably because of the special permissions that I proposed.
Hello!I am {censored}. I like doing {censored},{censored} and sometimes also {censored}. I live in {censored}.
Every day things are heating up more and more.
We must fight for the future of The Sandbox together!

Also,{censored}.

bubblegum

Post by bubblegum » March 19th, 2021, 9:17 pm

{censored} wrote:
March 19th, 2021, 10:34 am
I would suggest this to apply to all threads but there also could be a special permission to continue the thread.
So you're saying that no posts should count, or that nobody should be able to post, with the exception of overloading the moderators?
Each day is a hidden opportunity, a frozen waterfall that's waiting to be realised, and one that I'll probably be ignoring
sonata wrote:
July 2nd, 2020, 8:33 pm
conwaylife signatures are amazing[citation needed]
anything

{censored}

Post by {censored} » March 20th, 2021, 7:41 am

bubblegum wrote:
March 19th, 2021, 9:17 pm
{censored} wrote:
I would suggest this to apply to all threads but there also could be a special permission to continue the thread.
So you're saying that no posts should count, or that nobody should be able to post, with the exception of overloading the moderators?
No,I just say that anyone can post but there should be a limit of the number of the posts in a thread,but you can ask moderators to remove it. You are really weirdly thinking. I think that my post was perfectly understandable. Not an insult but that wad very weird to hear from you.
Hello!I am {censored}. I like doing {censored},{censored} and sometimes also {censored}. I live in {censored}.
Every day things are heating up more and more.
We must fight for the future of The Sandbox together!

Also,{censored}.

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » March 20th, 2021, 8:52 am

{censored} wrote:
March 20th, 2021, 7:41 am
You are really weirdly thinking. I think that my post was perfectly understandable. Not an insult but that wad very weird to hear from you.
Just as an independent third perspective on this -- {censored}, I had no idea what you were trying to say either, and bubblegum's response was a perfectly reasonable guess / request for clarification. I think the problem was that it was only clear to you what "this" meant, in "this to apply to all threads". It might have been clearer if you had quoted the previous post that you were referring to -- but I don't think anyone had previously suggested a hard limit on total posts per thread.
{censored} wrote:
I just say that anyone can post but there should be a limit of the number of the posts in a thread,but you can ask moderators to remove it.
This seems like it would require customizing PHPBB code on the server. It's always very very unlikely that Nathaniel will find time to do anything like that. It would also mean more work for moderators, for no clear benefit that I can see.

yujh
Location: I'm not sure where I am, so please tell me if you know

Post by yujh » March 20th, 2021, 9:03 am

{censored} wrote:
bubblegum wrote:
March 19th, 2021, 9:17 pm
{censored} wrote:
No,I just say that anyone can post but there should be a limit of the number of the posts in a thread,but you can ask moderators to remove it. You are really weirdly thinking. I think that my post was perfectly understandable. Not an insult but that wad very weird to hear from you.
I’ll say never.
What if it’s a 300 page thread and all the things are not spam?
Rule modifier

B34kz5e7c8/S23-a4ityz5k
b2n3-q5y6cn7s23-k4c8
B3-kq6cn8/S2-i3-a4ciyz8
B3-kq4z5e7c8/S2-ci3-a4ciq5ek6eik7

Bored of Conway's Game of Life? Try Pedestrian Life -- not pedestrian at all!