The future of The Sandbox?

For discussion directly related to ConwayLife.com, such as requesting changes to how the forums or home page function.

What do you want out of these?

To destroy The Sandbox
No votes
To allow anything not bad there
46%
To allow only CA - related things there
15%
To make a moderator approval for fun threads
8%
To make a post number limit
No votes
Previous but a moderator approval can keep topics
No votes
Nothing,BokaBB got temporarily banned
31%

Total votes: 13

{censored}

The future of The Sandbox?

Post by {censored} » March 21st, 2021, 6:21 am

Recently this is the most important issue. Most of the fun posts here are by BokaBB but he is currently temporarily banned and maybe The Sandbox will cool down until he is free.
However,the recent ban of Word Chains,a game with many passionate players has not been a good idea I think, because:
1. It is harmless
2. Cellular automata are sometimes mentioned
3. It is quite organized
4. It has been here for a very long time and this sudden ban is a very weird thing
Personally I do not want the current content here to go to Discord because we could have a moderator approval that could be like a test for threads if they can be there and everything new (including unlocked threads) can pass it. I also have a few problems that would likely deny me to go to Discord soon.
If they stay here it would also be faster for people to go to them that it would be if they were on Discord. Some threads like Philosophy or the alien biosphere can also be a very mindful exercise for those who are tired of starring at cellular automata but still want something for the brain. If you think that that would tire moderators, just hire a new one. Also,I still have a moderator helpers group, please stay good with me.
Please do not lock this thread as we should discuss here as long as possible and support me.
Hello!I am {censored}. I like doing {censored},{censored} and sometimes also {censored}. I live in {censored}.
Every day things are heating up more and more.
We must fight for the future of The Sandbox together!

Also,{censored}.

Hunting

Re: The future of The Sandbox?

Post by Hunting » March 21st, 2021, 9:36 am

0. I suspect {censored} is a sockpuppet of BokaBB due to associated posts (especially BokaBB-bragging) and similar posting habits (e. g. Space after periods and no space after commas).
1. I believe The Sandbox should contain non-CA contents as a forum where people interact (similar to CGCC's chatroom... Random posts = The Nineteenth Byte and other threads = other chatrooms), which makes a community "alive". However, I don't think non-CA-related forum games are a good idea - people are fine with Word Chains or without, for example.
2. Discord is already a wasteyard (with a typical user from there behaving like hotcrystal0) (I don't want to insult Discord but I feel it encourages chatty discussions) and redirecting the now-disallowed Sandbox discussion to there make it even more so. I feel (not "Discord is...") Discord is unnecessary and messy. If you want to post non-productive posts, write it on a paper and burn it.
3. Related to point 1, the reason Random Posts is so popular is that the vast majority of this community are somewhat abnormal people with age under 20, we understand each other, and we fight the real life back together. Let's not make conwaylife.com every other boring forum!

--But the pre-BokaBB sandbox is at least better than the current, moderated sandbox, so I'd also appreciate sandbox to return to its old state, and keep BokaBB and future BokaBBs from polluting sandbox. (They're welcomed to post productive and/or CA content, but if more board games, ban follows)

pcallahan

Post by pcallahan » March 21st, 2021, 10:24 am

I haven't been paying attention, so this is news to me. A moderated sandbox does not make sense to me. I have always liked a place where I can posted at my own discretion on the assumption that it may still be of interest to people here, though it's off-topic. If something truly offensive is posted to sandbox, or it gets picked up by spam advertisers, then that content should be removed. If it's just a matter of verbosity, I don't see the harm.

yujh
Location: I'm not sure where I am, so please tell me if you know

Post by yujh » March 21st, 2021, 10:27 am

I halfly agree with #0 but I found that {censored} can use code tags wich boka can’t
Rule modifier

B34kz5e7c8/S23-a4ityz5k
b2n3-q5y6cn7s23-k4c8
B3-kq6cn8/S2-i3-a4ciyz8
B3-kq4z5e7c8/S2-ci3-a4ciq5ek6eik7

Bored of Conway's Game of Life? Try Pedestrian Life -- not pedestrian at all!

{censored}

Post by {censored} » March 21st, 2021, 10:34 am

Hunting wrote:
March 21st, 2021, 9:36 am
0. I suspect {censored} is a sockpuppet of BokaBB due to associated posts (especially BokaBB-bragging) and similar posting habits (e. g. Space after periods and no space after commas).
1. I believe The Sandbox should contain non-CA contents as a forum where people interact (similar to CGCC's chatroom... Random posts = The Nineteenth Byte and other threads = other chatrooms), which makes a community "alive". However, I don't think non-CA-related forum games are a good idea - people are fine with Word Chains or without, for example.
2. Discord is already a wasteyard (with a typical user from there behaving like hotcrystal0) (I don't want to insult Discord but I feel it encourages chatty discussions) and redirecting the now-disallowed Sandbox discussion to there make it even more so. I feel (not "Discord is...") Discord is unnecessary and messy. If you want to post non-productive posts, write it on a paper and burn it.
3. Related to point 1, the reason Random Posts is so popular is that the vast majority of this community are somewhat abnormal people with age under 20, we understand each other, and we fight the real life back together. Let's not make conwaylife.com every other boring forum!

--But the pre-BokaBB sandbox is at least better than the current, moderated sandbox, so I'd also appreciate sandbox to return to its old state, and keep BokaBB and future BokaBBs from polluting sandbox. (They're welcomed to post productive and/or CA content, but if more board games, ban follows)
No,I am an independent user.
Hello!I am {censored}. I like doing {censored},{censored} and sometimes also {censored}. I live in {censored}.

Also,{censored}.

Hunting

Post by Hunting » March 21st, 2021, 11:07 am

pcallahan wrote:
March 21st, 2021, 10:24 am
I haven't been paying attention, so this is news to me. A moderated sandbox does not make sense to me. I have always liked a place where I can posted at my own discretion on the assumption that it may still be of interest to people here, though it's off-topic. If something truly offensive is posted to sandbox, or it gets picked up by spam advertisers, then that content should be removed. If it's just a matter of verbosity, I don't see the harm.
Yeah, that's one of the cases I support, see my signature. However, the recent BokaBB flood of threads is also making me worried. Sandboxing is fine, but 90% of the time in Sandbox and barely any CA stuff is...
{censored} wrote:
March 21st, 2021, 10:34 am
I shall believe you now, I hope you will be less annoying than BokaBB and not pollute the sandbox.

Moderators should do some UCs to those suspected users though.

{censored}

Post by {censored} » March 21st, 2021, 11:19 am

Hunting wrote:
March 21st, 2021, 11:07 am
pcallahan wrote:
March 21st, 2021, 10:24 am
Yeah, that's one of the cases I support, see my signature. However, the recent BokaBB flood of threads is also making me worried. Sandboxing is fine, but 90% of the time in Sandbox and barely any CA stuff is...
{censored} wrote:
March 21st, 2021, 10:34 am
I shall believe you now, I hope you will be less annoying than BokaBB and not pollute the sandbox.

Moderators should do some UCs to those suspected users though.
Thanks for believing me. The future of this place is in our hands and we must fight to get what we want!
Going right now to make a signature.
Also,I have a moderator helpers group,you are there,do you want to do something?

Also,{censored}.

GUYTU6J

Re: The future of The Sandbox? — Tangential question: Impact of The Equinox Revolution of Sandbox on LifeWiki?

Post by GUYTU6J » March 21st, 2021, 12:08 pm

The local temperature dropped drastically as I observed the ongoing debate concerning The Equinox Revolution of Sandbox. However, the neighbouring LifeWiki realm seems quiet as usual (neglecting the bursting of ColorfulGalaxy's editing, sure, that's for another topic). There notability guidelines has been working for years in the main namespace, but the user pages and possibly some talk pages for which some rules are less strict may be vulnerable to sandboxification once someone begins misusing them. So, would LifeWiki be subject to policy changes similar to those on the forums?

{censored}

Re: The future of The Sandbox? — Tangential question: Impact of The Equinox Revolution of Sandbox on LifeWiki?

Post by {censored} » March 21st, 2021, 12:16 pm

GUYTU6J wrote:
March 21st, 2021, 12:08 pm
The local temperature dropped drastically as I observed the ongoing debate concerning The Equinox Revolution of Sandbox. However, the neighbouring LifeWiki realm seems quiet as usual (neglecting the bursting of ColorfulGalaxy's editing, sure, that's for another topic). There notability guidelines has been working for years in the main namespace, but the user pages and possibly some talk pages for which some rules are less strict may be vulnerable to sandboxification once someone begins misusing them. So, would LifeWiki be subject to policy changes similar to those on the forums?
Nice term,I like it!
Maybe.

Also,{censored}.

Hunting

Post by Hunting » March 21st, 2021, 12:22 pm

{censored} wrote:
March 21st, 2021, 12:16 pm
GUYTU6J wrote:
Nice term,I like it!
Maybe.
The "Revolution" is the moderator's moderation of the sandbox.

I strongly disagree unsandboxification for user pages, because they are private realms; I agree with Talk pages.

@censored, let's have a seperate discussion center apart from conwaylife.com.

{censored}

Post by {censored} » March 21st, 2021, 2:06 pm

Hunting wrote:
March 21st, 2021, 12:22 pm
{censored} wrote:
March 21st, 2021, 12:16 pm
GUYTU6J wrote:
Nice term,I like it!
Maybe.
The "Revolution" is the moderator's moderation of the sandbox.

I strongly disagree unsandboxification for user pages, because they are private realms; I agree with Talk pages.

@censored, let's have a seperate discussion center apart from conwaylife.com.
I will try to install Discord.

Also,{censored}.

Moosey

Post by Moosey » March 22nd, 2021, 9:00 pm

Dvgrn knows that {censored} operates from a different IP from BokaBB and has for a long time. You can be 99% sure they're different.

Re: fate of the sandbox: in the worst case situation, archive the entire thing. Don't delete it, tho.
not active here but active on discord