Embedded LifeViewer Feature Request

For discussion directly related to ConwayLife.com, such as requesting changes to how the forums or home page function.
Book

Embedded LifeViewer Feature Request

Post by Book » October 22nd, 2021, 5:31 pm

When a wiki embedded viewer embeds the rle directly (as opposed to pointing to a file), have the "RLE:here" link appear. It could either copy the rle to the clipboard (and announce that it has done so), stream the rle as a file to the browser, or display the RLE in so someone can copy it (last choice as this is cumbersome for large rles).
Phil Bookman

GUYTU6J

Re: Embedded LifeViewer Feature Request

Post by GUYTU6J » October 22nd, 2021, 10:00 pm

Oh, just noticed the recent large pile of LifeWiki edits on this. To have the "RLE:here" link appear, you do need to point to a file instead of embedding the RLE directly, but you can create that yourself.
For example, you would copy the RLE of P94S2, create a new page named RLE:p94s2 (which is under the RLE namespace) and paste the RLE there. And then in the article for P94S, change

Code: Select all

{{EmbedViewer
|rle        = <a lengthy RLE for P94S2>
}}
to

{{EmbedViewer
|pname        = p94s2
}}
This way LifeViewer is pointed to the RLE file and the link will appear. By doing so, not only the page is simplified and easier to edit, but also the pattern can be embedded in other articles at the same time.
Note: 1)the pname referred in embedded viewer should be an alphanumeric string, and even no capital letters are allowed. (By MediaWiki default, the page you created has a capital following the RLE: namespace name, but this is just a displayed title and has no influence on actual usage.)
2)Creating an RLE page for a pattern does not imply that it has been uploaded to the official LifeWiki pattern collection; please read what dvgrn has said in this thread. (Oh wait, that was created by exactly you! Guess you have read through it before but just mentioning.)

Book

Post by Book » October 23rd, 2021, 12:31 pm

GUYTU6J wrote:
October 22nd, 2021, 10:00 pm
Oh, just noticed the recent large pile of LifeWiki edits on this. To have the "RLE:here" link appear, you do need to point to a file instead of embedding the RLE directly, but you can create that yourself.
For example, you would copy the RLE of P94S2, create a new page named RLE:p94s2 (which is under the RLE namespace) and paste the RLE there. And then in the article for P94S, change

{{EmbedViewer
|rle        = <a lengthy RLE for P94S2>
}}
to

{{EmbedViewer
|pname        = p94s2
}}
This way LifeViewer is pointed to the RLE file and the link will appear. By doing so, not only the page is simplified and easier to edit, but also the pattern can be embedded in other articles at the same time.
Note: 1)the pname referred in embedded viewer should be an alphanumeric string, and even no capital letters are allowed. (By MediaWiki default, the page you created has a capital following the RLE: namespace name, but this is just a displayed title and has no influence on actual usage.)
2)Creating an RLE page for a pattern does not imply that it has been uploaded to the official LifeWiki pattern collection; please read what dvgrn has said in this thread. (Oh wait, that was created by exactly you! Guess you have read through it before but just mentioning.)
Understand that. Was looking for a shortcut, but upon reflection, what you describe is a better way. Thanks.
Phil Bookman

Ian07

Post by Ian07 » October 23rd, 2021, 2:12 pm

Yeah, this is one of the reasons that I prefer pname as opposed to rle. I'll try to fix all of those pages at some point, but for now I've put them in a tracking category. (Note that user and/or talk pages should probably be left alone.)

If I remember correctly, at one point I tried to make it so that even if rle was used, you could still click on the "RLE: here" button to copy the RLE to your clipboard without having to enter the viewer itself. However, I determined that it's probably not possible to do this with MediaWiki.

Book

Post by Book » October 23rd, 2021, 4:51 pm

Ian07 wrote:
October 23rd, 2021, 2:12 pm
I'll try to fix all of those pages at some point, but for now I've put them in a tracking category. (Note that user and/or talk pages should probably be left alone.)
his with MediaWiki.
I'm working thru and fixing them.
Phil Bookman

Book

Post by Book » October 26th, 2021, 4:19 pm

Ian07 wrote:
Yeah, this is one of the reasons that I prefer pname as opposed to rle. I'll try to fix all of those pages at some point, but for now I've put them in a tracking category. (Note that user and/or talk pages should probably be left alone.)
I've gone through everything in that list, made edits to many of them, including replacing embedded rles with pnames. Those that remain on the list have one or more of a variety of issues beyond the scope of this effort.
Phil Bookman

Book

Post by Book » October 26th, 2021, 4:26 pm

Book wrote:
October 26th, 2021, 4:19 pm
Ian07 wrote:
I've gone through everything in that list, made edits to many of them, including replacing embedded rles with pnames. Those that remain on the list have one or more of a variety of issues beyond the scope of this effort.
I think it would help if the Talk:, User:, and LifeWiki: pages were not included in the list.
Phil Bookman

Ian07

Post by Ian07 » October 26th, 2021, 5:40 pm

Book wrote:
October 26th, 2021, 4:26 pm
I think it would help if the Talk:, User:, and LifeWiki: pages were not included in the list.
Template has been updated to only include mainspace and OCA pages in the list. Thanks so much for doing all that, by the way!

Book

Post by Book » October 26th, 2021, 6:49 pm

Ian07 wrote:
October 26th, 2021, 5:40 pm
Book wrote:
Template has been updated to only include mainspace and OCA pages in the list. Thanks so much for doing all that, by the way!
much more manageable list now
Phil Bookman

Book

Post by Book » October 28th, 2021, 4:56 pm

Book wrote:
October 26th, 2021, 6:49 pm
Ian07 wrote:
October 26th, 2021, 5:40 pm
Book wrote:
much more manageable list now
Ok, there are only 27 articles left. Mostly related to OCA.
Phil Bookman