Proposed home page refresh

For discussion directly related to ConwayLife.com, such as requesting changes to how the forums or wiki function.
otismo

Re: Proposed home page refresh

Post by otismo » March 14th, 2022, 6:14 pm

to be clear :

the position of the community seems to be that corporate logos do not belong here.

My position is why would a Corporation NOT want its LoGo implemented in CGoL ?

Cheers !
Last edited by otismo on April 27th, 2022, 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"One picture is worth 1000 words; but one thousand words, carefully crafted, can paint an infinite number of pictures."
- autonomic writing
forFUN : http://viropet.com
Art Gallery : http://cgolart.com
Video WebSite : http://conway.life

GUYTU6J

Post by GUYTU6J » March 14th, 2022, 7:26 pm

Pleasr stop, otismo. 差不多得了 You have gong too far and made four posts here, wchich are hardly on topic and instead should be put in your own thread.
Why do most natural OCA rules tend to get a diminishing span of interest and go into oblivion, like a lost civilization leaving little records for its beauty and power?

I have been focusing on this rule, now in industrial era:

熠熠种花 - Glimmering Garden

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » March 14th, 2022, 10:25 pm

I do like the idea of having some LifeViewer animated patterns accessible from the home page, though. The current set of sample patterns doesn't really give the right impression yet.

Hunting did complete that LeapLife timeline, so there's definitely no need for anyone else to do any work on it.

77551enpassant

Post by 77551enpassant » March 20th, 2022, 1:02 pm

The mobile version of the home page is broken.
I enjoy self-supporting spaceships

Code: Select all

x = 11, y = 14, rule = B3/S23
2bo$3b2o$obo$o9$10bo$9b2o!
#C[[ THEME Golly GRID ]]

Nathaniel
Site Admin

Post by Nathaniel » March 20th, 2022, 2:06 pm

77551enpassant wrote:
March 20th, 2022, 1:02 pm
The mobile version of the home page is broken.
A fix is in the works (Macbi mentioned it earlier too). Can you let me know what browser/type of phone you're using? It works fine on all phones I have access to (all iPhones), which makes it somewhat annoying for me to test.

77551enpassant

Post by 77551enpassant » March 20th, 2022, 2:26 pm

I'm using an Android, with Chrome.

#C[[ THEME Golly GRID ]]

77551enpassant

Post by 77551enpassant » April 26th, 2022, 8:57 pm

The mobile home page is still broken. Also, Is there a mobile version for LifeWiki? It only shows in desktop mode for me.

#C[[ THEME Golly GRID ]]

rowett

Post by rowett » April 27th, 2022, 12:22 pm

77551enpassant wrote:
April 26th, 2022, 8:57 pm
Also, Is there a mobile version for LifeWiki? It only shows in desktop mode for me.
No I don't think so. MediaWiki says: "MediaWiki will work on many mobile devices (ie. smartphones and tablets), but it is not optimized for mobile devices."

otismo

Post by otismo » April 28th, 2022, 2:07 pm

GUYTU6J wrote:
March 14th, 2022, 7:26 pm
Pleasr stop, otismo. 差不多得了 You have gong too far and made four posts here, wchich are hardly on topic and instead should be put in your own thread.
My apologies if I am out-of-line;

MODS please delete or move my posts if you feel they are off-topic...

Home Page is Looking Good !

Thanks !
"One picture is worth 1000 words; but one thousand words, carefully crafted, can paint an infinite number of pictures."
- autonomic writing

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » April 28th, 2022, 4:56 pm

otismo wrote:
April 28th, 2022, 2:07 pm
My apologies if I am out-of-line;

MODS please delete or move my posts if you feel they are off-topic...

Home Page is Looking Good !
This particular moderator is not tempted to make any changes to this thread. I can kind of understand GUYUT6J's frustration with the corporate-logo posts in particular -- it's an unfamiliar point of view around here that it might be interesting to transfer things like corporate logos into Life patterns. If my own experience is any guide, a common response is some combination of deep misgivings and faint nausea.

On the other hand, here we are with a freshly redesigned home page, with only five patterns to explore! If otismo doesn't say out-of-the-box things occasionally, who is going to remind us about how much more LifeViewer can do?
otismo wrote:
March 12th, 2022, 12:42 pm
is anyone interested in making

Life Viewer Movies ?
Oh, no, a trip down Memory Lane
For those of us who remember back to the previous millennium, Alan Hensel's website in 1999 had many more than five patterns that could be explored, from a dropdown list very similar to the current one -- and the average pattern had a whole lot more "eye candy" value than our current limited choice of 2EC/copperhead/GGG/Sir Robin/Snark loop.

Alan Hensel's website is actually still out there, and in working order in the unlikely event that anyone is both willing and able to get Java support working in a browser these days.

George Maydwell's color "Collidoscope" (from 2003, I think?) was even more jaw-dropping; he was way ahead of the curve in OCA exploration, as well as showing off Alan Hensel's pattern collection. But unfortunately his CGOLVE platform ("Color Game of Life Visual Exhibition") met the same fate as Alan Hensel's applet, due to the loss of Java support years ago. This is the Internet Archive link to CGOLVE, but it's not easy to see how awesome it used to be -- none of the actual patterns show up. There used to be half a dozen running on one page, sometimes, in all sorts of colors. Looks like you can still get the ModernCA/Author/AuthorXY zip file from the Wayback Machine, so maybe it could be got running on a desktop still, if not in a browser. (?)

I agree with otismo: home page needs some more pizazz!
Anyway: why not add some LifeViewer animations, really? We've got some good ones already that show off LifeViewer capabilities far beyond anything Alan Hensel's applet could manage. And it'd be great if people would build more of them.

For anyone who objects to the annoying "lockdown" that a waypoint script can produce in a pattern, we could either say somewhere on the homepage "Hit the Reset button to turn off animations" -- or we could just include two copies of the pattern in the dropdown, one with "ANIMATION: " before the name, and one that's just the pattern undecorated by LifeViewer commands.

GUYTU6J

Post by GUYTU6J » April 28th, 2022, 9:28 pm

There is also a browsable Life Pattern Catalog from Paul Callahan's page that has been equipped with LifeViewer (albeit an outdated one so many modern features especially animations are not available.)
dvgrn wrote:
April 28th, 2022, 4:56 pm
Anyway: why not add some LifeViewer animations, really? We've got some good ones already that show off LifeViewer capabilities far beyond anything Alan Hensel's applet could manage. And it'd be great if people would build more of them.
As a start, there are some animations in the LifeWiki articles for c/5 diagonal rake and weekender distaff, and Life/Rakes/c4-sideways-rake.rle in Golly's collection.
Why do most natural OCA rules tend to get a diminishing span of interest and go into oblivion, like a lost civilization leaving little records for its beauty and power?

I have been focusing on this rule, now in industrial era:

熠熠种花 - Glimmering Garden

otismo

Post by otismo » May 1st, 2022, 8:07 pm

dvgrn wrote:
trip down Memory Lane
How about recent short-term memory ?

In 2019 I had three goals for the up-and-coming Fiftieth Anniversary of CGoL :

Just HAD to have a Loafer BitMap Printer, and NOBODY was making any.

( I experimented with Loafer Guns; however, the new edgy Glider-to-Loafer Converter

seemed to be the way to go, especially since it enabled the tightest possible pixel spacing

as well as enabling a [noteworthy] Paste-in Memory System, making hand-crafting easier. )

A Glorious CGoL ArtWork MasterPiece - I had to be satisfied with Gallery of Stars.

AND SOMETHING to show-off all of our new Glider-Conduit-Converters.

Then 2020 Dawned. First we were hit by covid. Then the death of John Conway by covid.

This alone was enough of a bummer to dampen the enthusiasm of even the most enthusiastic

of Life Enthusiasts. Especially a Showman like me who did not have his Showmanship Act

together, and who was wrestling with the ViroPet Concept in the midst of a Viral Pandemic...

But being forced to self-isolate has its advantages, and CGoL Enthusiasm never ever dies.

Staying Focused, because the covid sell-off in the stock market was a once-in-a-lifetime

buying opportunity, turned out to be a full-time job, which left little room for hobbies.

RaceTrackSix ( and SixA ) were thrown together in a hurry just to have a working DEMO.

With no attribution or Life Viewer Wizardry or proper storyboarding or calculation. Dreadful.
dvgrn wrote:
So here we are. The way is Forward. Truly Amazing that we have such an open-minded

Community, who have the Collective Prescience to collaborate on Mind-Blowing Patterns,

Consumately Comprehensive TextBooks, and WebSite Presentation, with Life Viewer

and PatMan our main tools, that will enable a most Monumental Web Presence.

A great deal of thought needs to go into this...

Traditionally, most folks come to CGoL through college level course work.

Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering or even Particle Physics, Quantum Mechanics

and Astronomy/Cosmology. They are already in pretty deep at a deep level. These are the

serious folks who will seek out ConwayLife.com

The general public is having a love affair with their cell phones ( A.I. ).

Lasttime I counted there were over 200 CGoL cell phone apps, and many are quite good.

We have Golly for Android, and should have it for Apple cell phones also.

The best way to interest people in CGoL is when they are young.

My Best Idea : Virtual Pet

Everybody's Favorite Pet Computer Virus

And Videos. And Life Viewer Movies. And CGoL-on-your-GiantScreenTV whether CGoL Art or Engineering or otherwise.

Bye4Now !
- autonomic writing