Proposed home page refresh

For discussion directly related to ConwayLife.com, such as requesting changes to how the forums or home page function.
Sokwe

Re: Proposed home page refresh

Post by Sokwe » February 11th, 2022, 10:21 pm

Nathaniel wrote:
February 11th, 2022, 8:05 pm
Currently only has two patterns available to be chosen in the LifeViewer (the one that starts off being displayed is chosen randomly on each page load), but I'll plop more in shortly.
So how many and which patterns should be included in the list? If the list is a simple drop-down, then it should be fairly short. The one pattern I would insist on including is the Gosper glider gun.
Book wrote:
February 11th, 2022, 8:21 pm
I don't think the viewer on a phone is a good starting experience.
Why not? I'm not disputing this, I just never do CGoL on my phone so I have no perspective. In general, I think viewing Life in action is by far the best starting experience.
-Matthias Merzenich

hotdogPi

Post by hotdogPi » February 11th, 2022, 10:23 pm

Sokwe wrote:
February 11th, 2022, 10:21 pm
So how many and which patterns should be included in the list? If the list is a simple drop-down, then it should be fairly short. The one pattern I would insist on including is the Gosper glider gun.
How much work would it to be to include the most recent moderate to major discovery (so 32P21 now) and change it every few days?
User:HotdogPi/My discoveries

Periods discovered: 5-16,⑱,⑳G,㉑G,㉒㉔㉕,㉗-㉛,㉜SG,㉞㉟㊱㊳㊵㊷㊹㊺㊽㊿,54G,55G,56,57G,60,62-66,68,70,73,74S,75,76S,80,84,88,90,96
100,02S,06,08,10,12,14G,16,17G,20,26G,28,38,47,48,54,56,72,74,80,92,96S

S: SKOP
G: gun

Nathaniel
Site Admin

Post by Nathaniel » February 11th, 2022, 10:26 pm

hotdogPi wrote:
February 11th, 2022, 10:23 pm
How much work would it to be to include the most recent moderate to major discovery (so 32P21 now) and change it every few days?
This is something that I could integrate with the wiki, so that the patterns are pulled from <some page on the wiki, in some format>. However, before I go to the trouble of coding that up: is that something that people would want? Or is the front page better-suited to a relatively small and stable component of, say, 15-ish super-important patterns, that maybe gets updated once per year after pattern-of-the-year results are announced?
muzik wrote:
February 11th, 2022, 9:54 pm
Reckon we could have a text input/output for RLEs like the main lifeviewer page currently does?
I didn't put it in since one of the goals of this iteration of the front page is to keep things "simple", and a textbox with a bunch of RLE gobbledegook isn't simple. However, I could maybe integrate this with the drop-down pattern selector: the first (or last?) item in the drop-down could be something like "Custom RLE", which makes the textbox appear when selected?

Sokwe

Post by Sokwe » February 12th, 2022, 1:30 am

hotdogPi wrote:
I would prefer a focus on patterns that are demonstrative of what's possible in Life, rather than patterns that are new. The way I see it, the home page should be an introduction for people who don't know much about Life. Anyone who would be primarily interested in the newest discoveries will probably already know where to find them and how to view them.
-Matthias Merzenich

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » February 12th, 2022, 8:10 am

Sokwe wrote:
February 12th, 2022, 1:30 am
hotdogPi wrote:
I would prefer a focus on patterns that are demonstrative of what's possible in Life, rather than patterns that are new. The way I see it, the home page should be an introduction for people who don't know much about Life. Anyone who would be primarily interested in the newest discoveries will probably already know where to find them and how to view them.
If the "integrate with wiki" route is chosen, maybe one model could be that all of the relevant patterns could be stored as pages like

RLE:Homepagepattern1
RLE:Homepagepattern2
RLE:Homepagepattern3

with each page giving the name and attribution and any comments as usual, with #N, #O, and #C comments respectively.

Then if just one of those however-many patterns was intended as a showcase of the most recent new discovery --

RLE:Homepagenewdiscoveryshowcase

-- then the rest of the pages could maybe just be locked, but that one could be changed by anyone who wanted to edit it, whenever the next news item came along. Seems like even in a page geared toward newbies, it would be nice to give some sense of how completely new discoveries are still regularly appearing, even after fifty years of work with this rule.

Nathaniel
Site Admin

Post by Nathaniel » February 12th, 2022, 10:06 am

dvgrn wrote:
February 12th, 2022, 8:10 am
If the "integrate with wiki" route is chosen, maybe one model could be that all of the relevant patterns could be stored as pages like

RLE:Homepagepattern1
RLE:Homepagepattern2
RLE:Homepagepattern3

with each page giving the name and attribution and any comments as usual, with #N, #O, and #C comments respectively.
I have made this integration now (but did it slightly differently than was proposed, as it's faster to pull just a single page from the wiki rather than a whole bunch).

The new home page patterns are now being pulled from https://conwaylife.com/wiki/ConwayLife. ... gePatterns. Feel free to edit and add more patterns there, following the format already provided there (currently any trusted member of the wiki can edit it, but I'll protect it before the new homepage goes live). Make sure that you keep the different sets of data there in order (e.g., if you add a new pattern at the end of the "Names" array, put its "Description" at the end of the array as well, and so on). The patterns are displayed in the drop-down on the main page in the order that they appear on that wiki page.

If something screws up (e.g., the formatting of that page accidentally gets messed up so that the new front page cannot parse it), the front page will fall back to just displaying 3 hard-coded patterns (Gosper glider gun, Sir Robin, and Copperhead).

GUYTU6J

Post by GUYTU6J » February 12th, 2022, 10:28 am

Looks nice, but two points I noted first;
1) Is the RLE header preserved intentionally for the possibility of including non-plain-Life patterns (eg. bounded grids or OCA)?
2) What are the standard settings for style/theme/viewerconfig?

Nathaniel
Site Admin

Post by Nathaniel » February 12th, 2022, 10:43 am

GUYTU6J wrote:
February 12th, 2022, 10:28 am
Looks nice, but two points I noted first;
1) Is the RLE header preserved intentionally for the possibility of including non-plain-Life patterns (eg. bounded grids or OCA)?
2) What are the standard settings for style/theme/viewerconfig?
1) There isn't a particularly good reason for the RLE headers being separated from the rest of the RLE -- it's mostly a result of me being lazy and wanting to avoid encoding/decoding issues. I want the content of that page to be as whitespace-agnostic as possible, since it's decoded from MediaWiki to a JSON array in PHP, which is then passed through Javascript into LifeViewer's <textarea>. A linebreak is required once it makes it to the very end of that trail (i.e., in the <textarea>), so having the RLE header separate from the RLE itself makes it easier for my script to force that linebreak to be there.

Bounded grids and/or OCA could be used via that RLEheads array, but I doubt that's really what people want on the front page (but I won't make that decision).

2) The defaults, if the "Styles" array is left empty, are just the usual LifeViewer defaults. So as to not screw up the front page formatting, that array should always at least use "WIDTH 937 HEIGHT 600". But the other settings can be changed however people like, on a pattern-by-pattern basis.

muzik

Post by muzik » February 12th, 2022, 10:54 am

Nathaniel wrote:
February 11th, 2022, 10:26 pm
muzik wrote:
February 11th, 2022, 9:54 pm
Reckon we could have a text input/output for RLEs like the main lifeviewer page currently does?
I didn't put it in since one of the goals of this iteration of the front page is to keep things "simple", and a textbox with a bunch of RLE gobbledegook isn't simple. However, I could maybe integrate this with the drop-down pattern selector: the first (or last?) item in the drop-down could be something like "Custom RLE", which makes the textbox appear when selected?
I'd prefer a button or link below the viewer entitled "Show Advanced Options" that would present such a text box.

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » February 12th, 2022, 10:56 am

Two small points in the current https://conwaylife.com/newhome.php didn't quite match what I expected:

1) Is the "View Pattern" button really needed? Can it be arranged so that a change of the pattern in the "Choose a pattern" dropdown just displays the chosen pattern?

2) I didn't expect to leave the conwaylife home page when I clicked "More info" -- was expecting a new panel to open, or a pop-up, or possibly an "open in new tab" operation. If the link name were "More info on LifeWiki", that would set expectations a little bit better I think.

Nathaniel
Site Admin

Post by Nathaniel » February 12th, 2022, 11:05 am

dvgrn wrote:
February 12th, 2022, 10:56 am
Two small points
Both changed/fixed now.
muzik wrote:
February 12th, 2022, 10:54 am
I'd prefer a button or link below the viewer entitled "Show Advanced Options" that would present such a text box.
That's doable -- I'll try to get that done later today.

Edit: Done now.

GUYTU6J

Post by GUYTU6J » February 16th, 2022, 6:56 am

Nathaniel wrote:
February 12th, 2022, 11:05 am
muzik wrote:
February 12th, 2022, 10:54 am
That's doable -- I'll try to get that done later today.
Edit: Done now.
If I have chosen a preset pattern, say copperhead, then clicking the button will not only change the title from Current Pattern: Copperhead to Current Pattern: Custom, but also replace the copperhead info with "You can enter the RLE code for any pattern that you wish to view below", both of which are not reversible by clicking the button again. Can it be changed to restore the title and info as well as hide the codebox?

Nathaniel
Site Admin

Post by Nathaniel » February 16th, 2022, 1:55 pm

GUYTU6J wrote:
February 16th, 2022, 6:56 am
Can it be changed to restore the title and info as well as hide the codebox?
Done. "Show Advanced Options" now turns into "Hide Advanced Options" when it's clicked on, and clicking it again restored the page to the non-advanced view.

Book

Post by Book » February 16th, 2022, 3:36 pm

Looking good
Phil Bookman

otismo

Post by otismo » February 16th, 2022, 6:33 pm

A Videos Link to http://conway.life may be an additional resource.

Thank You !

Cheers !
Last edited by otismo on April 27th, 2022, 11:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"One picture is worth 1000 words; but one thousand words, carefully crafted, can paint an infinite number of pictures."
- autonomic writing
forFUN : http://viropet.com
Art Gallery : http://cgol.art
Video WebSite : http://conway.life

Sokwe

Post by Sokwe » February 18th, 2022, 12:38 am

It would be nice if a message could be displayed in place of the viewer if a user has javascript disabled. Ideally something that works with script-blocking extensions like NoScript or uBlock. This might not be trivial, considering a discussion I had with Chris Rowett.
-Matthias Merzenich

muzik

Post by muzik » February 20th, 2022, 8:29 am

Could the advanced settings option also open a region in which an image (Pattern --> Save Image/Save Graph) produced by the viewer will be produced, rather than opening a new tab?

Code: Select all

x = 21, y = 2, rule = B3/S23:T24,0
bo5bo5bo5bo$3o3b3o3b3o3b3o!
The old viewer testing page has or had such a region, but it no longer seems to work like it used to: https://lazyslug.com/lifeview/plugin/viewer.html

I'd also prefer it if Show Advanced Options and the RLE box was moved to below the viewer instead of above it, mainly for consistency with Chris's site, as well as to decrease the amount of the page's contents that get moved by opening/closing it, and also to make it stand out a bit more from other buttons.

Nathaniel
Site Admin

Post by Nathaniel » March 11th, 2022, 5:47 am

The new homepage is now live at https://conwaylife.com. That doesn't mean I'm done updating/fixing it/implementing other things people have requested. I have also protected https://conwaylife.com/wiki/ConwayLife. ... gePatterns so that only administrators can edit it (though non-administrators can of course request edits/additions -- the 5 patterns currently listed there would maybe be better as 12 or so patterns?).

I'll be changing the navbar on the forums to match the new homepage navbar soon.

rowett

Post by rowett » March 11th, 2022, 6:57 am

muzik wrote:
February 20th, 2022, 8:29 am
Could the advanced settings option also open a region in which an image (Pattern --> Save Image/Save Graph) produced by the viewer will be produced, rather than opening a new tab?
I’ve changed those functions so they now download the images rather than open them in a new tab.

Book

Post by Book » March 11th, 2022, 8:11 pm

Bravo new home page!
Phil Bookman

yujh
Location: I'm not sure where I am, so please tell me if you know

Post by yujh » March 11th, 2022, 10:19 pm

To be honest I do really like the old one, but since I don't use the homepage at all, i can accept it.
Rule modifier

B34kz5e7c8/S23-a4ityz5k
b2n3-q5y6cn7s23-k4c8
B3-kq6cn8/S2-i3-a4ciyz8
B3-kq4z5e7c8/S2-ci3-a4ciq5ek6eik7

Bored of Conway's Game of Life? Try Pedestrian Life -- not pedestrian at all!

Macbi

Post by Macbi » March 11th, 2022, 11:52 pm

For me the site looks weird when I'm using my phone (Firefox on Android).
Screenshot_2022-03-12-03-50-27-37_3aea4af51f236e4932235fdada7d1643.jpg
Screenshot_2022-03-12-03-50-27-37_3aea4af51f236e4932235fdada7d1643.jpg (945.35 KiB) Viewed 2669 times

muzik

Post by muzik » March 12th, 2022, 9:18 am

Another homepage/LifeViewer suggestion: could another text box be added to the advanced options in which custom neighbourhood definitions are produced? Currently this is only available via a hotkey, and is inaccessible on mobile as a result; if a button was added to the viewer, it could be made to paste the neighbourhood definition into this text box (since LifeViewer's clipboard functionality is still flawed and as such a text box would make more sense for this).

otismo

Post by otismo » March 12th, 2022, 11:49 am

On the Internet, one must lead with one's Strength ( one never gets a second chance to make a first impression ).

On the Web, Video is Killing It ( remember : video killed the radio star ).

Our Strength, Gentlemen, is Life Viewer Movies.

If we fail to correctly seize our one and only opportunity to stoke their interest,

what is the point of adding more Patterns if they will not even look at the Five ?

Cheers !
Last edited by otismo on April 27th, 2022, 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"One picture is worth 1000 words; but one thousand words, carefully crafted, can paint an infinite number of pictures."
- autonomic writing

otismo

Post by otismo » March 12th, 2022, 12:42 pm

O.K. -

is anyone interested in making

Life Viewer Movies ?

Thank You for your Interest !

Cheers !
Last edited by otismo on April 27th, 2022, 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- autonomic writing