Thread Requests

For discussion directly related to ConwayLife.com, such as requesting changes to how the forums or home page function.
Ohhhhhhhhh

Thread Requests

Post by Ohhhhhhhhh » December 14th, 2021, 7:54 am

This is a place where you can request for a new thread about anything.
My idea is that any thread which is created by a user shall ask for a thread here. Then we decide whether this is suitable for a thread or not.
My rule is:
1. If any editor (for example, a moderator) agreed this request, a thread can (and shall, if the user is asked to) be made.
2. If at least 2 users whose post is over 1000 or has been registered for at least 3 years agree, a thread can be made.
3. If at least 3 users whose post is over 300 or has been registered for at least 1 year agree, a thread can be made.
4. If at least 5 users whose post is over 10 or has been registered for at least 1 month agree, a thread can be made.
5. If the amount of editors who disagreed this request is bigger than the amount of editors who agreed this request, a thread can't be made. This rule is more important than any other rules, and shall be considered first in this thread.
This rule can be changed from time to time, but I hope most of you can follow this rule. Also, I'd like to ask for the editors to put this thread on every top of a "big topic", from General Discussion to Scripts.
Thanks for anybody who give ideas or their own opinions about this thread (post), and play well in Game of Life!
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

something useless:

Code: Select all

#CXRLE Pos=-8,-6
x = 11, y = 10, rule = B3/S23
5bo$6bo$4b3o$9b2o$9b2o3$3o$2bo$bo!

hotdogPi

Re: Thread Requests

Post by hotdogPi » December 14th, 2021, 8:18 am

Absolutely not. It would turn off new users by preventing them from creating threads. Often (in the current world) their new thread is merged into an existing one, which is perfectly fine, but preventing them from posting their findings entirely would make them not want to stay.

Also, it makes it take longer for new threads, and sometimes new discoveries, to be posted. Sometimes there aren't even 5 people online at a time. This is an academic forum; since the sandbox chaos is gone, there are pretty much no new threads that shouldn't exist and can't be merged.

Spambots are spambots and won't follow these rules anyway.
User:HotdogPi/My discoveries

Periods discovered: 5-16,⑱,⑳G,㉑G,㉒㉔㉕,㉗-㉛,㉜SG,㉞㉟㊱㊳㊵㊷㊹㊺㊽㊿,54G,55G,56,57G,60,62-66,68,70,73,74S,75,76S,80,84,88,90,96
100,02S,06,08,10,12,14G,16,17G,20,26G,28,38,47,48,54,56,72,74,80,92,96S

S: SKOP
G: gun

muzik

Post by muzik » December 14th, 2021, 8:28 am

What exactly is the point in limiting who can make threads? It's incredibly rare that we see any threads being locked (once per year, if even that), and any subjects that may not deserve a dedicated thread sink to the bottom with time anyway. This is an academic forum, not a gaming community, so the level of maturity expected in interactions is expected to be (and usually is) relatively high, and as such any member of this community, regardless of how long their presence has been, should be able to be trusted to create threads of their own accord, with the community's interest in said subjects dealing with the rest.

GUYTU6J

Post by GUYTU6J » December 14th, 2021, 8:30 am

(At the same time of hotdogPi's post, I wrote:)
(The second time I hit submit button, muzik also made a post...)
What is the benefit of limiting thread creation and making it a privilege? To reduce threads with poor quality? We can just ask moderators to move the contents to appropriate place if it turns out that it does not deserve a separate thread. This imposes less stress on mods and perhaps is a bit more friendly to newcomers.

Please assume good faith of others.

Ohhhhhhhhh

Post by Ohhhhhhhhh » December 14th, 2021, 8:54 am

hotdogPi wrote:
December 14th, 2021, 8:18 am
Absolutely not. It would turn off new users by preventing them from creating threads. Often (in the current world) their new thread is merged into an existing one, which is perfectly fine, but preventing them from posting their findings entirely would make them not want to stay.

Also, it makes it take longer for new threads, and sometimes new discoveries, to be posted. Sometimes there aren't even 5 people online at a time. This is an academic forum; since the sandbox chaos is gone, there are pretty much no new threads that shouldn't exist and can't be merged.

Spambots are spambots and won't follow these rules anyway.
My idea is to make this place a good one for newcomers, but I understand your opinions. Of course this rule is too hard to be realized, but we can change it like: For newcomers, you can make 1 thread every week in the first month, and you can ask more if you need. If nobody disagree with it after a week, it can be a thread.
Also as long as the "Thread for your unsure discoveries" and such thread still survives and has some people looking at, it will certainly not make the environment unwelcoming - especially when my thread provided a focus for old users on new users' ideas without disrupting the current threads.
For the spambots, they shall definitely be punished in some way, either by warning or closing their account. They certainly aren't regular users anyway.
I will accept your ideas, and change the rule a bit.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

something useless:

Code: Select all

#CXRLE Pos=-8,-6
x = 11, y = 10, rule = B3/S23
5bo$6bo$4b3o$9b2o$9b2o3$3o$2bo$bo!

Moosey

Post by Moosey » December 14th, 2021, 9:14 am

Ok, here are my two (three?) cents:
  • Newcomers are by definition newcomers; we shouldn't expect them to have browsed all the forums long enough to find a thread like this
  • The mods moderate this forum in their spare time; to expect them to do more work than they already do enforcing this kind of arbitrary seems a bit unreasonable.
  • In general, it seems further alterations to The Rules™™™™ are very unlikely, particularly if it's something that will require a lot of effort on the part of the moderation team
not active here but active on discord

yujh
Location: I'm not sure where I am, so please tell me if you know

Post by yujh » December 14th, 2021, 9:20 am

Uh okay, you broke your rules yourself…

First if a newcomer didn’t understand the rules they didn’t know this thread, so it is absolutely worthless.
The usual rule for an OCA rule follows as:
1. Making a post in TFYOCA
2. People notice, whether good or not
3. As the rule clutters up the thread, make a new thread for that. I have more than two rules that take up 25 more posts (which is more than a page) in TFYOCA

Also strongly disagreeing in any movement you made recently, dear

Also this is five old users disagreeing and I think most of us have appeared on the news section so
Edit4: six now
Last edited by yujh on December 14th, 2021, 9:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
Rule modifier

B34kz5e7c8/S23-a4ityz5k
b2n3-q5y6cn7s23-k4c8
B3-kq6cn8/S2-i3-a4ciyz8
B3-kq4z5e7c8/S2-ci3-a4ciq5ek6eik7

Bored of Conway's Game of Life? Try Pedestrian Life -- not pedestrian at all!

wwei47

Post by wwei47 » December 14th, 2021, 9:29 am

Not a fan of this idea either...
I have over 1000 posts on my old account which was registered in 2017. I will agree to any thread request.

Sokwe

Post by Sokwe » December 14th, 2021, 9:59 am

A user can always make a new thread that doesn't violate the rules. There will not be any further restrictions to thread creation.

Any issues with new threads can be dealt with on a case-by-case basis. For example, I am locking this thread, because I consider this matter settled.
-Matthias Merzenich