Moving pages in LifeWiki

For discussion directly related to LifeWiki.
muzik

Moving pages in LifeWiki

Post by muzik » December 14th, 2021, 8:46 am

As it currently stands, unlike in many other wikis I've been a member of, there exists no option to move pages without leaving a redirect behind for non-administrators. This gets incredibly annoying, as moving a page will always create a redirect, which in many cases turns out to be completely useless (even counterproductive) and requires admin action to delete.

Could some user rank be added below administrator for editors that request it that allows for page moves that leave no redirects?

Nathaniel
Site Admin

Re: Moving pages in LifeWiki

Post by Nathaniel » December 20th, 2021, 4:57 am

I'm not opposed to letting all "trusted" members of the wiki move pages without leaving a redirect behind. However, does anyone else want to weigh in first, before I make that change? Also, can you give an example of when a "move" redirect is counterproductive (in my mind, we basically always want to leave a redirect behind when moving a page, but I'm sure there are some edge cases that aren't popping into my head).

GUYTU6J

Post by GUYTU6J » December 20th, 2021, 5:33 am

Nathaniel wrote:
December 20th, 2021, 4:57 am
...Also, can you give an example of when a "move" redirect is counterproductive (in my mind, we basically always want to leave a redirect behind when moving a page, but I'm sure there are some edge cases that aren't popping into my head).
I can tell that at least in these cases the redirect has a chance to be unnecessary: 1)those involving at least one User page, including moving from main to User (example talk on the issue), vice versa (these two), and moving inside User namespace; 2)those between different namespaces in general; 3)those involving a page under RLE or Rule namespace, where the moving is to correct page title for future LifeWiki and/or LifeViewer use.

I don't think we need a special user rank for the purpose; any possible damage would be small and easily fixable (moving back or creating a redirect), so just allow all trusted user to be able to do that is fine.

Nathaniel
Site Admin

Post by Nathaniel » December 21st, 2021, 8:55 am

GUYTU6J wrote:
December 20th, 2021, 5:33 am
I can tell that at least in these cases the redirect has a chance to be unnecessary: 1)those involving at least one User page, including moving from main to User (example talk on the issue), vice versa (these two), and moving inside User namespace; 2)those between different namespaces in general; 3)those involving a page under RLE or Rule namespace, where the moving is to correct page title for future LifeWiki and/or LifeViewer use.
Thanks for the context!

I've now made this change. All "trusted" members of the wiki can now move pages without leaving a redirect behind.

muzik

Post by muzik » December 21st, 2021, 12:20 pm

I'm not sure if this is a caching problem but the option to leave a redirect behind doesn't seem to be present.

Nathaniel
Site Admin

Post by Nathaniel » December 21st, 2021, 2:25 pm

muzik wrote:
December 21st, 2021, 12:20 pm
I'm not sure if this is a caching problem but the option to leave a redirect behind doesn't seem to be present.
Nope, not a caching problem. Rather, it was a "Nathaniel is incompetent" problem.

Anyway, fixed now -- now "trusted" members of the wiki can actually move pages without leaving a redirect behind.