Shed the red questions

For discussion directly related to ConwayLife.com, such as requesting changes to how the forums or home page function.
Book

Shed the red questions

Post by Book » January 17th, 2022, 8:52 pm

In my quest to "shed the red" wiki links I noticed that 3 spaceship patterns (282P6H1V1, 328P7H3V0, 72P4H1V0) were mentioned in-the-news last year that do not have wiki pages. It seems odd to have the discovery or synthesis of a ship be deemed newsworthy when the ship itself seems not notable enough to have an article or be shown elsewhere. So I'm wondering what the thinking is for these.
Phil Bookman

Sokwe

Re: Shed the red questions

Post by Sokwe » January 17th, 2022, 10:07 pm

Book wrote:
January 17th, 2022, 8:52 pm
It seems odd to have the discovery or synthesis of a ship be deemed newsworthy when the ship itself seems not notable enough to have an article or be shown elsewhere.
That doesn't seem odd to me. The patterns are shown elsewhere. Specifically, they are shown in the forum post links for those news items.

I don't think every pattern mentioned in a news item is necessarily notable enough for a wiki page. I've edited the news archive to remove the red links that I thought were unnecessary.
-Matthias Merzenich

Book

Re: Shed the red questions

Post by Book » January 18th, 2022, 1:48 pm

Sokwe wrote:
January 17th, 2022, 10:07 pm
Book wrote:
January 17th, 2022, 8:52 pm
It seems odd to have the discovery or synthesis of a ship be deemed newsworthy when the ship itself seems not notable enough to have an article or be shown elsewhere.
That doesn't seem odd to me. The patterns are shown elsewhere. Specifically, they are shown in the forum post links for those news items.

I don't think every pattern mentioned in a news item is necessarily notable enough for a wiki page. I've edited the news archive to remove the red links that I thought were unnecessary.
An elegant way to handle it.
Phil Bookman