LifeWiki updated (current version 1.37.1)

For discussion directly related to LifeWiki.
Nathaniel
Site Admin

LifeWiki updated (current version 1.37.1)

Post by Nathaniel » January 30th, 2022, 10:04 am

I just finished updating LifeWiki to the current stable release of the MediaWiki software (1.37.1). If you were using the wiki at the time, you would have noticed it wasn't super smooth (this is somewhat expected, as LifeWiki isn't a flat "out-of-the-box" wiki, but uses tons of extensions, including custom modifications to, e.g., enable LifeViewer integration).

Anyway, things seem mostly good now, but there are a few issues that I wasn't able to quickly fix, which I wanted to make people aware of:

- One of the modifications that I made previously to the wiki to add the LifeViewer "rle code" meta tag was causing problems, so I removed it. As far as I can tell, LifeViewer is still working fine everywhere, but please let me know if you notice any LV weirdness.

- [Edit: This issue is now fixed.] The DynamicPageList extension for MediaWiki is no longer supported. This extension was used in two places that I can recall: on the front page, to show how many images and glider syntheses exist on the wiki, and on LifeEnthusiast pages to show a list of all patterns found by that person. Please do not remove these from the wiki yet -- I want to try switching over to this version of the DPL extension first.

- The TitleKey extension is no longer working, so search suggestions on the wiki are back to being case-sensitive. I'll have another go at fixing this soon.

- [Edit: This issue is now fixed.] The EmbedVideo extension is no longer working, so embedded Youtube videos aren't working right now. I should be able to fix this soon.

Of course, I may have missed some other things. Please let me know if you encounter anything else wonky as a result of the software update.

rowett

Re: LifeWiki updated (current version 1.37.1)

Post by rowett » January 31st, 2022, 1:17 am

Possible issue with redirects and LifeViewer: see here.

Nathaniel
Site Admin

Post by Nathaniel » January 31st, 2022, 9:58 am

rowett wrote:
January 31st, 2022, 1:17 am
Possible issue with redirects and LifeViewer: see here.
Fixed, thanks.

Nathaniel
Site Admin

Post by Nathaniel » February 2nd, 2022, 7:31 pm

I've made a fair number of back-end changes on the server today that should improve performance a fair bit, especially on the LifeWiki side of the site. Hopefully there are no noticeable changes other than "hey it's a bit less slow now", but let me know if you encounter any wonkiness (especially with things related to caching issues -- pages not updating properly or something like that).