Is Visions of Chaos notable?

For discussion directly related to ConwayLife.com, such as requesting changes to how the forums or home page function.
Book

Is Visions of Chaos notable?

Post by Book » May 17th, 2022, 6:56 pm

Is Visions of Chaos notable (https://conwaylife.com/wiki/Visions_of_Chaos)? It has been tagged not notable for a year with no contrary comments on the wiki page. If you have an opinion, please post it here or on the talk page. If you do think it is notable, please provide some text that can be used to beef up the wiki article and substantiate notability. Thanks.
Phil Bookman

NimbleRogue

Re: Is Visions of Chaos notable?

Post by NimbleRogue » May 19th, 2022, 5:57 pm

Yes, I feel it is notable, It is much more about the artwork of cellular automata than the mechanics. My computer is not beefy enough to run all of the programs, but from the ones I've seen It seems like Softology(the creator) made visions of chaos as much for us as for themselves. It is regularly updated with new content and also is updated to include new interesting rulesets inside of cellular automata. They have a youtube channel with videos of tons of cellular automata. In terms of the contents of visions of chaos, there is a lot more than just the traditional definition of cellular automata with, fractals, spirographs, music, strange attractors, and much more. Inside of celular automata there is 1d, 2d, 3d, 4d, and even 5d. I have mainly looked at where the brunt of the work is, 2d cellular automata. To preface this I have no idea of what the mechanics are behind most of these but it's not nessisery to, this program is meant for exploration. Some interesting ones in the 2d section are Merge Life, Indexed totalistic, Pinwheels, Digital inkblot, Self-replicating loops, and Stochastic.

Code: Select all

x = 4, y = 3, rule = B3-cnqy4e5kr6n7c/S2-i3-ay4einrtyz5cejn6cin78
bo$3o$ob2o!

#14c/85265o
x = 10, y = 4, rule = B2-an3-iqy4iknrtz5aijqy6aei78/S02ck3nqy4eiqrtwy5-ekq6-i78
2bo4bo$3b4o$ob6obo$2b6o!

Book

Post by Book » May 19th, 2022, 7:37 pm

NimbleRogue wrote:
May 19th, 2022, 5:57 pm
Yes, I feel it is notable, It is much more about the artwork of cellular automata than the mechanics. My computer is not beefy enough to run all of the programs, but from the ones I've seen It seems like Softology(the creator) made visions of chaos as much for us as for themselves. It is regularly updated with new content and also is updated to include new interesting rulesets inside of cellular automata. They have a youtube channel with videos of tons of cellular automata. In terms of the contents of visions of chaos, there is a lot more than just the traditional definition of cellular automata with, fractals, spirographs, music, strange attractors, and much more. Inside of celular automata there is 1d, 2d, 3d, 4d, and even 5d. I have mainly looked at where the brunt of the work is, 2d cellular automata. To preface this I have no idea of what the mechanics are behind most of these but it's not nessisery to, this program is meant for exploration. Some interesting ones in the 2d section are Merge Life, Indexed totalistic, Pinwheels, Digital inkblot, Self-replicating loops, and Stochastic.
Thanks for your comments. What you describe may make the program interesting, but the question is whether it is notable in the context of LifeWiki. See https://conwaylife.com/wiki/LifeWiki:Notability. In this case, what it the notable advantage of the software for finding, constructing, manipulating, displaying patterns? How does it advance the efforts of the CGOL community? Are there external resources that confirm these advantages such that it merits a wiki article? If so, what should the article say that explains to the CGOL community that this software has unique utility for them to consider using?
Phil Bookman

NimbleRogue

Post by NimbleRogue » May 19th, 2022, 8:10 pm

Book wrote:
May 19th, 2022, 7:37 pm
With that defenition, It's not notable. You can't edit individual cells, save patterns or import patterns, It's just a fun tool for exploring.

x = 4, y = 3, rule = B3-cnqy4e5kr6n7c/S2-i3-ay4einrtyz5cejn6cin78
bo$3o$ob2o!

#14c/85265o
x = 10, y = 4, rule = B2-an3-iqy4iknrtz5aijqy6aei78/S02ck3nqy4eiqrtwy5-ekq6-i78
2bo4bo$3b4o$ob6obo$2b6o!