Wire confusion

For discussion directly related to ConwayLife.com, such as requesting changes to how the forums or home page function.
Book

Wire confusion

Post by Book » June 5th, 2022, 6:12 pm

The wire, lightspeed wire, 2c/3 wire and 5c/9 wire articles seem to me to be a mishmash of overlapping, sometimes misplaced, sometimes unsubstantiated and/or mis-referenced information. I think a single article that rationalizes all of this is the way to go, but I also think some discussion would be useful. Is this the right way to go? Other ideas/insight/contributions?
Phil Bookman

confocaloid

Re: Wire confusion

Post by confocaloid » June 5th, 2022, 6:33 pm

Can you suggest some more specific details on how that "single article that rationalizes all of this" could be named and structured? What could be its table-of-contents, for example?
I think there is at least one specific reason to keep these pages separate; namely that they all have distinct links to Life Lexicon. (Of course I agree it would be interesting to know what others think on how to improve the wiki - it's just that I don't think it is always necessary to strive or even possible to perfectly rationalize everything.)

Edit: there is also Suggested LifeWiki edits thread, which might be a good place to discuss various relatively specific wiki-related issues without having to create a separate thread for each of them.
127:1 B3/S234c User:Confocal/R (isotropic CA, incomplete)
Unlikely events happen.
My silence does not imply agreement, nor indifference. If I disagreed with something in the past, then please do not construe my silence as something that could change that.

Book

Post by Book » June 7th, 2022, 1:46 pm

1. The "suggested life wiki edits" thread is better suited to brief discussions. A separate thread is better when a lengthy discussion is anticipated.

2. My replacement for the Wire article may may be seen at User:Book/Sandbox. I have leaned heavily on the formulation CGOLM&C section 4.5.1 and incorporated useful portions of the existing Wire, 2c/3 wire and 5c/9 wire articles.

3. The 2c/3 wire and 5c/9 wire articles would be redirected to Wire. I do not believe they need their own articles or glossary entries.

4. The Lightspeed wire article would also be redirected. It's opening paragraph is in conflict with the following from CGOLM&C section 4.5.2:
While signals pass through wires in such a way as to leave the wires undamaged, it is also possible for objects to pass through wires and destroy the wire in the process. When this happens, the wire is instead called a wick, and the objects that “burns” through the wick is called a fuse.
The operative word here is instead.

5. Further to #4, the quoted text should I believe be used to sharpen and clarify the Wick and Fuse articles.
Phil Bookman

confocaloid

Post by confocaloid » June 7th, 2022, 2:09 pm

The sentence "Wires are no longer considered particularly interesting." triggers question "by whom?" in my mind - is there any commonly accepted definition of "interesting"? It seems strange in a wiki article. However, if the community considers claims about interestingness acceptable in wiki articles, I do not object to that.

The use of wikitables in formatting looks good on my screen; I do not know how it is displayed on mobile devices - again, if this formatting is considered acceptable I will not object to that.
Unlikely events happen.
My silence does not imply agreement, nor indifference. If I disagreed with something in the past, then please do not construe my silence as something that could change that.

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » June 7th, 2022, 4:27 pm

confocaloid wrote:
June 7th, 2022, 2:09 pm
The sentence "Wires are no longer considered particularly interesting." triggers question "by whom?" in my mind..
I'd certainly say that "no longer considered interesting" is not really true.

Maybe "existing known wires aren't getting much attention" is true -- but wires are potentially highly interesting. A new wire component or two will very likely solve the omniperiodicity problem eventually, if hotdogPi and others don't manage to knock out the last two periods with current search methods first. That makes wires pretty much permanently interesting.

Book

Post by Book » June 7th, 2022, 4:35 pm

dvgrn wrote:
June 7th, 2022, 4:27 pm
confocaloid wrote:
June 7th, 2022, 2:09 pm
The sentence "Wires are no longer considered particularly interesting." triggers question "by whom?" in my mind..
I'd certainly say that "no longer considered interesting" is not really true.

Maybe "existing known wires aren't getting much attention" is true -- but wires are potentially highly interesting. A new wire component or two will very likely solve the omniperiodicity problem eventually, if hotdogPi and others don't manage to knock out the last two periods with current search methods first. That makes wires pretty much permanently interesting.
I generalized interesting from "interest" from CGOLM&C p. 113 quoted below, probably a bit to enthusiastically. Will reword.
Interest in wires has dwindled in recent years, simply because signals on wires are more difficult
to manipulate than signals (gliders in particular) in a vacuum.
Phil Bookman

ihatecorderships

Post by ihatecorderships » June 7th, 2022, 6:43 pm

dvgrn wrote:
June 7th, 2022, 4:27 pm
last two periods
last two???? since when????
-- Kalan Warusa
Don't drink and drive, think and derive.

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » June 7th, 2022, 9:22 pm

ihatecorderships wrote:
June 7th, 2022, 6:43 pm
last two???? since when????
January.

(I mean, Life is still omniperiodic if it has a trivial p34 oscillator along with the other two, right?)

confocaloid

Post by confocaloid » June 8th, 2022, 4:36 am

I decided to follow WP:BOLD on "interestingness" - see my recent edits.

I noticed that the article Wire is already replaced with the new version by copying and pasting, and the other articles are replaced by redirects.
Unlikely events happen.

Book

Post by Book » June 8th, 2022, 12:40 pm

confocaloid wrote:
June 8th, 2022, 4:36 am
I decided to follow WP:BOLD on "interestingness" - see my recent edits.

I noticed that the article Wire is already replaced with the new version by copying and pasting, and the other articles are replaced by redirects.
Your edit of that sentence is where I was heading after the feedback. Nice collaboration.
Phil Bookman