(Poll) Should I do my signing?

For discussion directly related to ConwayLife.com, such as requesting changes to how the forums or home page function.

What's your opinion?

Poll ended at February 18th, 2023, 4:11 pm

Yes, keep it as it is
No votes
Yes, keep it as it is and put into the signature
No votes
Yes, use the shorter version
No votes
Yes, use the shorter version in the signature
57%
Neutral
14%
Please stop it
29%

Total votes: 7

BokaBB

(Poll) Should I do my signing?

Post by BokaBB » February 8th, 2023, 4:11 pm

Hey ya. I'm really sorry for posting this here but for some reason polls can't be done in The Sandbox, so I posted it in what I think is the closest forum available because it's about my use of the website. I think this is not an unimportant topic and may also apply to other users.

(in this post 'signing' will mean the words I put at the end and 'signature' will mean the automatically added part at the end, please distinguish)

So you are probably aware by now I have a somewhat unusual practice of putting quite elaborate signings at the end of my messages. The current form of it is this:

Good morning/afternoon/evening/night and sweet dreams!
Enjoy your life and all the best! May THE LORD help you!
Have a suuuuperior day (and this all also to your own)!

BokaBB

However, for most of the past I used this one instead:

Have a good day!

BokaBB

with elaborations being a rather recent phenomenon that evolved outside this forum. The reason why did I add the elaborations is the fact I occasionally used to add other things at the end to certain people and because I thought exceptions aren't a good thing. The current form is so complex, in fact, that dl-rs parodied it recently here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5553&p=156381#p156381
(dl-rs, if you are reading this, it's not a big thing).

I'd like to know the public opinion on this somewhat more. It has been addressed several times by several people already but I was rather too egocentric at those times to listen to it too much. Plus only a few people ever adressed it.

Please vote in as big numbers as possible because I think this is a topic worth discussing if I'm to be here comfortably. Will stop signing 'til then and gonna remove it from the signature too 'til the poll ends.
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!

Sure, I was a bad person, but I have changed myself.
I'd love to befriend anybody who's interested.
Have a good day!

BokaBB

Book

Re: (Poll) Should I do my signing?

Post by Book » February 8th, 2023, 5:10 pm

BokaBB wrote:
February 8th, 2023, 4:11 pm
Please vote in as big numbers as possible because I think this is a topic worth discussing if I'm to be here comfortably. Will stop signing 'til then and gonna remove it from the signature too 'til the poll ends.
For many years, I had a close friend who, when I asked a question like this, would say something like, "If you're asking, you already know the answer." Which troubled me each time because I really wanted his opinion, I had asked him because I wanted his feedback. So here's mine to you: I appreciate when someone signs their posts with their name. I find other uses of signatures annoying, my degree of annoyance correlated with the length of the signing.
Phil Bookman

BokaBB

Post by BokaBB » February 8th, 2023, 5:15 pm

Book wrote:
February 8th, 2023, 5:10 pm
BokaBB wrote:
For many years, I had a close friend who, when I asked a question like this, would say something like, "If you're asking, you already know the answer." Which troubled me each time because I really wanted his opinion, I had asked him because I wanted his feedback. So here's mine to you: I appreciate when someone signs their posts with their name. I find other uses of signatures annoying, my degree of annoyance correlated with the length of the signing.
Good to know your opinion and I fully respect it but I have to disagree. I have no idea what an average forum user thinks of. Someone might like it as much as you hate it.

Do you like the shorter version?
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!

Have a good day!

BokaBB

BokaBB

Post by BokaBB » February 9th, 2023, 2:35 am

Book wrote:
February 8th, 2023, 5:10 pm
BokaBB wrote:
Hey ya. I'm really sorry for double-posting, but I'm considering removing the signing entirely for people who dislike it even though there's some that like it. Thoughts?
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!

Have a good day!

BokaBB

BokaBB

Post by BokaBB » February 18th, 2023, 12:35 pm

So, the poll ended. The turnout was far, far worse than I expected, but I'll nevertheless honour its results for now. Do you think I should repeat it in hope of a better turnout?
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!

Have a good day!

BokaBB