lifeviewer bug

Has something gone haywire? Let us know about it!
MathAndCode

Re: lifeviewer bug

Post by MathAndCode » February 5th, 2021, 5:22 pm

EvinZL wrote:
February 3rd, 2021, 3:50 pm
If you open a LifeHistory pattern, and draw in state-3 over state-2 cells, and then udo, the cells should revert to state-3, but instead they become state-4.
The same thing also happens when drawing state 4 cells over state 2 cells or state 5 cells over state 2 cells. After drawing state 6 cells over state 2 cells, pressing the undo button does nothing.
Also, trying to change state 3 or state 5 cells to state 2 cells instead changes them to state 4 cells, and trying to change state 4 or state 6 cells to state 2 cells does nothing.
I have reduced the cost of universal construction to seventeen gliders and probably to sixteen. All that remains is for the universal operations to be found.

rowett

Post by rowett » February 6th, 2021, 2:04 am

MathAndCode wrote:
February 5th, 2021, 5:22 pm
EvinZL wrote:
February 3rd, 2021, 3:50 pm
If you open a LifeHistory pattern, and draw in state-3 over state-2 cells, and then udo, the cells should revert to state-3, but instead they become state-4.
The same thing also happens when drawing state 4 cells over state 2 cells or state 5 cells over state 2 cells. After drawing state 6 cells over state 2 cells, pressing the undo button does nothing.
Also, trying to change state 3 or state 5 cells to state 2 cells instead changes them to state 4 cells, and trying to change state 4 or state 6 cells to state 2 cells does nothing.
These issues should be fixed now. Thanks for reporting!

MathAndCode

Post by MathAndCode » February 15th, 2021, 12:52 am

Go to the pattern here, run it for a while so that the boundaries show up, go back to generation zero, cut the entire pattern, then paste it so that the leftmost cell of the leftmost tub is on the second column from the left (i.e. there is only one blank column separating the leftmost tub from the left edge). The cell in between should show up as on, and I wasn't able to turn it off besides deleting the leftmost cell of the tub.
I have reduced the cost of universal construction to seventeen gliders and probably to sixteen. All that remains is for the universal operations to be found.

rowett

Post by rowett » February 17th, 2021, 1:26 pm

MathAndCode wrote:
February 15th, 2021, 12:52 am
Go to the pattern here, run it for a while so that the boundaries show up, go back to generation zero, cut the entire pattern, then paste it so that the leftmost cell of the leftmost tub is on the second column from the left (i.e. there is only one blank column separating the leftmost tub from the left edge). The cell in between should show up as on, and I wasn't able to turn it off besides deleting the leftmost cell of the tub.
It's actually a display bug. LifeViewer is erroneously displaying an extra row of cells at the top, and an extra column of cells at the left, at the extent of the grid. They don't actually exist and are rendered as a duplicate of the row below, and column to the right, respectively. I'll fix it at some stage.

Thanks for reporting!