Minor bug with coordinates

Has something gone haywire? Let us know about it!
Extrementhusiast

Minor bug with coordinates

Post by Extrementhusiast » March 29th, 2015, 7:38 pm

I've found at least one minor problem with coordinates: when choosing where to paste, coordinates do not change when the cursor is moved, but do change when arrow keys are used. (I also noticed this problem after a large AND paste of an inverted pattern. Perhaps it has something to do with the memory?)
I Like My Heisenburps! (and others)

Andrew

Re: Minor bug with coordinates

Post by Andrew » March 29th, 2015, 9:44 pm

Does the bug only happen when the "Show Exact Numbers" option is ticked? If so I've now fixed that. If not, I can't reproduce the problem so you'll need to supply more clues (which platform, version), and maybe a screenshot.
Use Glu to explore CA rules on non-periodic tilings: DominoLife and HatLife

Extrementhusiast

Post by Extrementhusiast » March 31st, 2015, 8:10 pm

Andrew wrote:Does the bug only happen when the "Show Exact Numbers" option is ticked? If so I've now fixed that. If not, I can't reproduce the problem so you'll need to supply more clues (which platform, version), and maybe a screenshot.
No, it doesn't have to do with that. It appears when running Golly 2.6 on Mac OSX 10.6. Notably, it does NOT appear on Windows 7 (although that may be running a different version of Golly). Here's how I did it (emphasis mine):

Place the cursor somewhere on the grid (here at (10,10)), and paste something. It will ask you where you want to paste it, as normal:
bug1.png
bug1.png (44.3 KiB) Viewed 4684 times
Now, move the cursor somewhere else on the grid (here at (5,7)). The XY coordinates will still show the old cursor position:
bug2.png
bug2.png (44.38 KiB) Viewed 4684 times
This is what should happen:
bug3.png
bug3.png (44.52 KiB) Viewed 4684 times
I Like My Heisenburps! (and others)

Andrew

Post by Andrew » April 1st, 2015, 4:01 am

Thanks for the extra info and screenshots. I downloaded Golly 2.6 for my Mac 10.6 system and saw the problem. Curiously, the 2.7 beta version I'm working on doesn't have any problem, even though I don't remember making any change that might have fixed it! Anyway, I've uploaded the latest beta builds for Mac OS to sourceforge:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/golly/ ... golly-2.6/

Be careful which file you download:

golly-2.7b3-mac109.zip is for Mac OS 10.9+
golly-2.7b3-mac106.zip is for Mac OS 10.6/7/8

Functionally very similar to 2.6 (which is why I haven't bothered doing a full 2.7 release) but there are some important bug fixes. See Help > Changes for details.
Use Glu to explore CA rules on non-periodic tilings: DominoLife and HatLife