Wierd Life viewer bug

Has something gone haywire? Let us know about it!
Saka

Wierd Life viewer bug

Post by Saka » September 20th, 2015, 12:39 am

Hi, I found a bug with the life viewer:
When I press the "next generation" button, it simulates B/S and not the specified rule (all cells disappear)
it doesn't happen all the time but here is how to duplicate it:
1.set speed to x32.
2. run the pattern for a while
3. reset it
4. set speed to x1
5. click next generation button

rowett

Re: Wierd Life viewer bug

Post by rowett » September 20th, 2015, 5:19 am

Hi Saka,
Thanks for the problem report. Unfortunately I've been unable to reproduce the problem using the steps you specified.

Please can you provide me with the following details:
1. Which browser and version are you using? (e.g. Chrome 45)
2. Which build of LifeViewer are you running? (Click on the LifeViewer window, press 'i', and then scroll down until you see "Build". (e.g. Build 158)

If you're not seeing Build 158 then refresh the browser and try again.

Thanks.

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » September 20th, 2015, 7:10 am

I haven't caught the problem happening yet either. @Saka, what rule and pattern are you using to reproduce the problem? It occurs to me that a step size of 32 on a small B1357/S1357 pattern like your signature pattern would appear to blank out the viewer, until you resize anyway. It doesn't sound like that's what's happening, but it seems worth eliminating that as a possibility.

---------------------------------

I did see another weird unreproducible bug bug this morning, which might as well go here. I ran the first pattern in this post for a while, hit the Reset button, then hit Play to run the pattern again from the beginning. Instead, the viewer jumped back immediately to the last generation it had run, and kept simulating from there.

I spent a minute or two trying multiple Reset clicks and so on, but couldn't get back to seeing those early generations. I didn't have the speed turned up, because I could see one generation at a time being simulated, it was just starting the run from T=200 or T=250 or so, instead of T=0 -- though it displayed the T=0 pattern every time I hit Reset. Possibly the new snapshot/backtrack system somehow got into a bad state?

Of course when I closed the viewer and tried to get the same thing to happen again, everything worked fine. Just recording this in case someone sees the problem again.

Scorbie

Post by Scorbie » September 20th, 2015, 7:34 am

@dvgrn Yeah, thanks for explaining that clearly. If you see rowett's lifeviewer thread, you'll see that you're not alone. And for me it is happening multiple times, but very randomly. :|

rowett

Post by rowett » September 20th, 2015, 11:18 am

dvgrn wrote:I did see another weird unreproducible bug bug this morning, which might as well go here. I ran the first pattern in this post for a while, hit the Reset button, then hit Play to run the pattern again from the beginning. Instead, the viewer jumped back immediately to the last generation it had run, and kept simulating from there.
This has been fixed and will be in the next released build.