Severe graphical glitch in fresh install of Golly 4.0

Has something gone haywire? Let us know about it!
Extrementhusiast

Severe graphical glitch in fresh install of Golly 4.0

Post by Extrementhusiast » January 25th, 2021, 10:43 pm

I've recently finished setting up a new computer for myself (Dell XPS 15 9500), and the first thing I see when I open Golly is...green stripes and doubled grid lines:
Screenshot (1).png
Screenshot (1).png (281.69 KiB) Viewed 2139 times
Some other things I've observed:
  • The green stripes are repetitions of the sequence 0110100110010110.
  • The transparent buttons are magenta, and doubled similarly to the grid lines.
  • For the six-layer setup displayed in the screenshot, the stripes in layers 0, 4, and 5 reverse polarity upon several common events: switching layers, zooming in/out, scrolling the view, closing dialog boxes (but not opening them), changing the selection size before the mouse is released, and advancing the pattern (which creates rapid flashing when playing). Additionally, showing or hiding the transparent buttons in any one of these three layers reverses the stripes for that layer only.
  • This might have pulled data from the selection tool, as the stripe color is the same as the default selection color. However, changing the selection color from the default doesn't change the stripes.
  • The patterns themselves seem to run fine.
  • All cursors other than the draw cursor are much smaller than they should be.
To me, this sounds like a graphics driver issue, but I thought I'd ask anyway, just in case it wasn't.
I Like My Heisenburps! (and others)

Extrementhusiast

Re: Severe graphical glitch in fresh install of Golly 4.0

Post by Extrementhusiast » January 30th, 2021, 6:21 pm

After quite a while, I managed to fix the issue:
Screenshot (2).png
Screenshot (2).png (247.11 KiB) Viewed 2044 times
Turns out it WAS a graphics driver issue, but not in the way I expected, as even installing a new driver didn't change anything immediately. The problem was that the better graphics driver wasn't even being used in the first place. In Windows 10: Settings > System > Display > Graphics settings > Graphics performance preference > set Golly to "High performance".
I Like My Heisenburps! (and others)

Andrew

Re: Severe graphical glitch in fresh install of Golly 4.0

Post by Andrew » January 30th, 2021, 8:05 pm

Good to know. Thanks for reporting the solution.
Use Glu to explore CA rules on non-periodic tilings: DominoLife and HatLife