Ruletable not working properly

Has something gone haywire? Let us know about it!
Post Reply
User avatar
hotcrystal0
Posts: 612
Joined: July 3rd, 2020, 5:32 pm
Location: United States

Ruletable not working properly

Post by hotcrystal0 » January 30th, 2022, 8:35 pm

So recently I made the rule methlife.
Problem is, after I posted the ruletable, LifeViewer keeps on saying there's an illegal character in rule with each pattern I post without the ruletable. Golly functions as normal with the rule, for some reason.
Table:

Code: Select all

@RULE methlife
@TABLE
n_states:3
neighborhood:Moore
symmetries:rotate4reflect
var a0={1,2}
var a1=a0
var a2=a1
var a3=a2
var b0={0,1,2}
var b1=b0
var b2=b1
var b3=b2
var b4=b3
var b5=b4
var b6=b5
var b7=b6
var b8=b7
0,1,1,1,0,0,0,0,0,1
a0,a1,a2,a3,0,0,0,0,0,1
b0,0,a0,0,a1,0,a2,0,0,1
b0,a0,0,a1,0,a2,0,0,0,1
b0,0,a0,a1,a2,0,0,0,0,1
0,a0,0,a1,a2,0,0,0,0,1
1,a0,0,a1,a2,0,0,0,0,2
2,a0,0,a1,a2,0,0,0,0,1
b0,a0,0,a1,0,0,a2,0,0,1
b0,a0,a1,0,a2,0,0,0,0,1
b0,a0,a1,0,0,0,a2,0,0,1
b0,a0,a1,0,0,a2,0,0,0,1
b0,a0,0,0,a1,0,a2,0,0,1
a0,a1,a2,0,0,0,0,0,0,1
a0,0,a1,0,a2,0,0,0,0,1
a0,a1,0,a2,0,0,0,0,0,1
a0,a1,0,0,0,a2,0,0,0,1
a0,a1,0,0,a2,0,0,0,0,1
a0,0,a1,0,0,0,a2,0,0,1
b0,b1,b2,b3,b4,b5,b6,b7,b8,0

@COLORS

0 0 0 0
1 250 250 0
2 250 130 0

Code: Select all

x = 192, y = 53, rule = Conway's Life
33$42b4o$41b6o$40b2ob4o$41b2o3$41b2o$39bo6bo$38bo8bo$38bo8bo$38b9o3$42b
4o$41b6o$40b2ob4o$41b2o!

Code: Select all

x = 12, y = 12, rule = B3-ckq4cj5c8/S2-i34c5e
2b2o3b3o$3bo3bo2bo$o$2o5bo3bo$7b4o$8bo2$2ob2o$o3b2o$o3bo$bo2bo$3bo!

User avatar
dvgrn
Moderator
Posts: 8920
Joined: May 17th, 2009, 11:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Ruletable not working properly

Post by dvgrn » January 30th, 2022, 10:32 pm

hotcrystal0 wrote:
January 30th, 2022, 8:35 pm
So recently I made the rule methlife.
Problem is, after I posted the ruletable, LifeViewer keeps on saying there's an illegal character in rule with each pattern I post without the ruletable.
So it does. I'm not sure why yet. The only difference between the LifeWiki version of the ruletable and the posted one above, is that there's a URL in the comment area in the LifeWiki version -- but that's perfectly legal, and removing it doesn't seem to get rid of the error.
Golly functions as normal with the rule, for some reason.
That's more or less what you'd expect if an incorrect character had crept into the LifeWiki version -- but I'm not seeing anything different, and a text comparison isn't picking anything up either. Anyone have any clever ideas on what's wrong here?

User avatar
rowett
Moderator
Posts: 2637
Joined: January 31st, 2013, 2:34 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Ruletable not working properly

Post by rowett » January 31st, 2022, 1:09 am

It appears to be an issue with capitalization since Methlife works:

Code: Select all

x=1,y=1,rule=Methlife
3o!
@Nathaniel: It may be related to the recent update of LifeWiki. When the requested resource is /wiki/Rule:methlife the console is showing a CORS issue when LifeWiki is redirecting from /wiki/Rule:methlife to /wiki/Rule:Methlife.

Same is happening with other lower case rules. See here for tlife2.

User avatar
Nathaniel
Site Admin
Posts: 826
Joined: December 10th, 2008, 3:48 pm
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Contact:

Re: Ruletable not working properly

Post by Nathaniel » January 31st, 2022, 9:36 am

rowett wrote:
January 31st, 2022, 1:09 am
@Nathaniel: It may be related to the recent update of LifeWiki. When the requested resource is /wiki/Rule:methlife the console is showing a CORS issue when LifeWiki is redirecting from /wiki/Rule:methlife to /wiki/Rule:Methlife.
You're 100% right (and thanks for tracking it down as a CORS issue). In the latest version of MediaWiki, you have to specify a canonical URL for the wiki, which I set as "https://conwaylife.com". So all redirects that the wiki performs now point to that particular base URL.

So if LifeViewer tries to grab rules from a different base URL, even one that's only *mildly* different like, say "https://www.conwaylife.com", then it throws up a CORS error. You should notice that if you manually reload a forums page without the "www.", then these rules start working again.

Anyway, I'll be able to fix this within the day, by forcing all forums pages to auto-strip the "www."

Edit: Fixed now.

Post Reply