Discuss about rules in definition

For general discussion about Conway's Game of Life.
Oma nai

Discuss about rules in definition

Post by Oma nai » January 24th, 2023, 10:22 pm

As we know, all definition in this game can be easy to understand:times,shape,space.So we find models like spaceship(times and space changes, no shape change)and Still life(only time changes).But if we think about this three rules,we can't find space changes with no times change!We can't find shape changes with no space change too! So I think these three basic definition have a rule to each other:Time contains shape and space, Shape contains space.To prove this simple rule,I think we should have a discuss.
Last edited by Oma nai on January 24th, 2023, 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pipsqueek

Re: Any Rule of Life Game Itself?

Post by pipsqueek » January 24th, 2023, 10:58 pm

Oma nai wrote:
January 24th, 2023, 10:22 pm
As we know, all definition in this game can be easy to understand:times,shape,space.So we find models like spaceship(times and space changes, no shape change)and Still life(only time changes).But if we think about this three rules,we can't find space changes with no times change!We can't find shape changes with no space change too! So I think these three basic definition have a rule to each other:Time contains shape and space, Shape contains space.To porve this simple rule,I think we should have a discuss.
Welcome to the forms! First of all, the title "Any Rule of Life Game Itself?" is rather confusing. you might need to change it (I'm not sure if you can) to explain more (but keep it short). Second of all, I think I understand shape changes. things like the blinker change shape:

Code: Select all

x = 3, y = 1, rule = B3/S23
3o!
and that there's always time changes. (because time is always moving forwards) but space changes is where I get confused. I assume it means moving things like the glider. but when you say you can't have shape changes without space changes, it doesn't make sense. the blinker changes shape but it is clearly not moving!

Please add some clarification to your post. Thanks

Code: Select all

x=17,y=16,rule=B3/S23
3bo3bobo2bob2o$bobo4bo4b4o$bobo5bobo2b3o$b2obob2o3b2o$3o4b2ob2o2b2o$4b
o4bo$4b2obobob2ob3o$3ob3o2b2o$b3o2bobobo5bo$o3b2o3bobo2b2o$4bo3bob2o3b
o$2obo2bobobo2b2o$3b3o5bo2b2o$2obo4bo2bob2o$o3bob2obo3b2o$2bo8bobobo![[ STOP 3 GPS 4 ]]

Oma nai

Re: Discuss about rules in definition

Post by Oma nai » January 25th, 2023, 2:30 am

Thanks for telling me this
Because I said 'space' is not the normal definition.It's meaning of 'raum'(in German philosophy).In Martin Heidegger's opinion,it's using 'extensibility'.It means only use strict definition to discribe things.He says the long width and high are only definitions in our life. (In this game we only have long and width.) The other side of it is use relative definition to discribe.(Like I'm behind you,The park is near the bus stop.)So sir you said'not moving' is using other thing to contrast,it's relative definition.Shapes are form of states.States can be alive or empty,when states changes,space obviously changes!(In philosophy,it's easy to know existence is the Basics of extensibility,and extensibility made up the 'space' I def.)The oscillator change states too!
Sorry for my poor English.