LifeLine Magazine?

For general discussion about Conway's Game of Life.
bubblegum

Re: LifeLine Magazine?

Post by bubblegum » August 28th, 2021, 2:26 pm

Sokwe wrote:
August 28th, 2021, 7:32 am
Edit: does the following pattern or any of its relatives have a name?

Code: Select all

x = 5, y = 3, rule = B3/S23
3o$3bo$3b2o!
"Thompson's 6-bit methuselah" according to mniemiec's database.
Each day is a hidden opportunity, a frozen waterfall that's waiting to be realised, and one that I'll probably be ignoring
sonata wrote:
July 2nd, 2020, 8:33 pm
conwaylife signatures are amazing[citation needed]
anything

Sokwe

Post by Sokwe » August 29th, 2021, 2:11 am

I finished replacing the images in Volume 1 with viewer thumbnails. Unfortunately, this means that the patterns can't be seen if you have JavaScript disabled. The viewer template claims to have an option to replace the viewer with something when JavaScript is disabled, but when I tested it with the Firefox NoScript extension I couldn't get either my input or the default message to show up. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Edit:
I wrote:
August 28th, 2021, 7:32 am
What is the (apparently unique) 6-cell pattern that evolves into 2 beehives and 1 loaf? It should be asymmetric and disconnected. It's the only constellation from pages 10-12 of Volume 4 that I haven't identified.
hotdogPi correctly identified the final constellation on Discord which has this 6-cell predecessor:

Code: Select all

...oo
....o
ooo..
-Matthias Merzenich

Sokwe

Post by Sokwe » October 24th, 2021, 7:28 am

Does anyone have a clearer scan of Lifeline Volume 2 Page 6? The image in the lower left corner is hard to see in the wiki scan.
-Matthias Merzenich

Nathaniel
Site Admin

Post by Nathaniel » October 26th, 2021, 7:44 am

Sokwe wrote:
October 24th, 2021, 7:28 am
Does anyone have a clearer scan of Lifeline Volume 2 Page 6? The image in the lower left corner is hard to see in the wiki scan.
For what it's worth, I just checked my hardcopy, and it's no better (it looks exactly like the scan). Not sure if it's just a problem with my hardcopy, or if it was a printing issue with all hardcopies.

hkoenig

Post by hkoenig » October 27th, 2021, 11:19 am

Appears to be a problem with the original printing. In my copy, at some point I drew in the "acorn" bits. Someone might want to similarly touch up that image.