apgsearch v1.0

For general discussion about Conway's Game of Life.
User avatar
calcyman
Posts: 2096
Joined: June 1st, 2009, 4:32 pm

Re: apgsearch v1.0

Post by calcyman » May 13th, 2016, 5:38 am

muzik wrote:Looks like my apgsearch glitched out and submitted a mutant Siamese twin haul:

Image


I mean, not that that's a major problem or anything, just kinda interesting
It does that whenever the Internet connection is temporarily down.
What do you do with ill crystallographers? Take them to the mono-clinic!

muzik
Posts: 3502
Joined: January 28th, 2016, 2:47 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: apgsearch v1.0

Post by muzik » May 13th, 2016, 6:34 am

Makes sense. My internet connection is unpredictable overnight
Bored of using the Moore neighbourhood for everything? Introducing the Range-2 von Neumann isotropic non-totalistic rulespace!

muzik
Posts: 3502
Joined: January 28th, 2016, 2:47 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: apgsearch v1.0

Post by muzik » May 14th, 2016, 5:14 am

Bored of using the Moore neighbourhood for everything? Introducing the Range-2 von Neumann isotropic non-totalistic rulespace!

User avatar
Apple Bottom
Posts: 1027
Joined: July 27th, 2015, 2:06 pm
Contact:

Re: apgsearch v1.0

Post by Apple Bottom » May 14th, 2016, 7:11 am

muzik wrote:Looks like apgcodes for Seeds patterns actually work:

https://catagolue.appspot.com/object/xq1_69/b2

https://catagolue.appspot.com/object/xp2_12/b2
Of course -- why wouldn't they? The site only verifies that the code actually describes the object named.

Fun fact 1: the site also accepts what you might call "secondary" codes: ones that result from different readings of the same object, but which are not the canonical code on account of being too long, or (if not that) lexicographically sorting after it. For instance, xs6_2552 appears as a perfectly ordinary still life. This is a good reason to always use a script to figure out an object's apgcode. ;)

Fun fact 2: xp2_12, contrary to what the comment on its page says, has been seen -- it's appeared in a number of semitotalistic rules, e.g. b2-a4s23. The moon, on the hand, has not, and in fact to my knowledge there's no photons known to Catagolue at all. Are there any rules which have photons but do not explode?
If you speak, your speech must be better than your silence would have been. — Arabian proverb

Catagolue: Apple Bottom • Life Wiki: Apple Bottom • Twitter: @_AppleBottom_

Proud member of the Pattern Raiders!

muzik
Posts: 3502
Joined: January 28th, 2016, 2:47 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: apgsearch v1.0

Post by muzik » May 14th, 2016, 8:08 am

Apple Bottom wrote:Are there any rules which have photons but do not explode?
Indeed: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=803&start=85

It has some pretty crazy rakes and breeders, though. (maybe it could answer my question on the MMMM breeder in the questions thread?)
Bored of using the Moore neighbourhood for everything? Introducing the Range-2 von Neumann isotropic non-totalistic rulespace!

User avatar
Apple Bottom
Posts: 1027
Joined: July 27th, 2015, 2:06 pm
Contact:

Re: apgsearch v1.0

Post by Apple Bottom » May 14th, 2016, 8:23 am

muzik wrote:
Apple Bottom wrote:Are there any rules which have photons but do not explode?
Indeed: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=803&start=85
I should've been more specific, I reckon. ;) Are there any semi-totalistic or outer-totalistic rules which have photons but do not explode, i.e. rules that are supported by Catagolue and that are (in principle at the very least) soup-searchable with Calcyman's apg* tools, and/or A for Awesome's hacked version of apgsearch?

Put more succinctly, is there a chance we'll see a photon on Catagolue anytime soon?
If you speak, your speech must be better than your silence would have been. — Arabian proverb

Catagolue: Apple Bottom • Life Wiki: Apple Bottom • Twitter: @_AppleBottom_

Proud member of the Pattern Raiders!

User avatar
A for awesome
Posts: 1902
Joined: September 13th, 2014, 5:36 pm
Location: 0x-1
Contact:

Re: apgsearch v1.0

Post by A for awesome » May 14th, 2016, 10:21 am

Apple Bottom wrote:Put more succinctly, is there a chance we'll see a photon on Catagolue anytime soon?
Probably not too soon. Currently, my hacked version (and indeed any of the python versions) will break upon encountering any p1 spaceship, due to a small detail in the implementation of the bijoscar() function. Unless someone finds a B2 outer-totalistic rule that doesn't explode (which doesn't seem likely; the best I've been able to find are rules that sometimes only grow linearly (in the form of wickstretchers), rather than quadratically) and is searchable by apgmera, it'll probably be a while.
x₁=ηx
V ⃰_η=c²√(Λη)
K=(Λu²)/2
Pₐ=1−1/(∫^∞_t₀(p(t)ˡ⁽ᵗ⁾)dt)

$$x_1=\eta x$$
$$V^*_\eta=c^2\sqrt{\Lambda\eta}$$
$$K=\frac{\Lambda u^2}2$$
$$P_a=1-\frac1{\int^\infty_{t_0}p(t)^{l(t)}dt}$$

http://conwaylife.com/wiki/A_for_all

Aidan F. Pierce

muzik
Posts: 3502
Joined: January 28th, 2016, 2:47 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: apgsearch v1.0

Post by muzik » May 14th, 2016, 12:31 pm

A for awesome wrote: Currently, my hacked version (and indeed any of the python versions) will break upon encountering any p1 spaceship, due to a small detail in the implementation of the bijoscar() function.
Can you not fix that?
Bored of using the Moore neighbourhood for everything? Introducing the Range-2 von Neumann isotropic non-totalistic rulespace!

User avatar
A for awesome
Posts: 1902
Joined: September 13th, 2014, 5:36 pm
Location: 0x-1
Contact:

Re: apgsearch v1.0

Post by A for awesome » May 14th, 2016, 4:01 pm

muzik wrote:
A for awesome wrote: Currently, my hacked version (and indeed any of the python versions) will break upon encountering any p1 spaceship, due to a small detail in the implementation of the bijoscar() function.
Can you not fix that?
I probably can, but I have a lot of other bugs and things I have to fix before I release a new version, so it's going to take a while. I also don't entirely know whether the apgsearch algorithm would even work with rules like cb2, given all of the natural puffers, rakes, guns, and breeders present.
x₁=ηx
V ⃰_η=c²√(Λη)
K=(Λu²)/2
Pₐ=1−1/(∫^∞_t₀(p(t)ˡ⁽ᵗ⁾)dt)

$$x_1=\eta x$$
$$V^*_\eta=c^2\sqrt{\Lambda\eta}$$
$$K=\frac{\Lambda u^2}2$$
$$P_a=1-\frac1{\int^\infty_{t_0}p(t)^{l(t)}dt}$$

http://conwaylife.com/wiki/A_for_all

Aidan F. Pierce

muzik
Posts: 3502
Joined: January 28th, 2016, 2:47 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: apgsearch v1.0

Post by muzik » May 14th, 2016, 5:16 pm

b3s12/C1 hasn't updated in hours and there's a bunch of hauls lined up


EDIT: seems many other rules are doing this

EDIT2: including normal life....the fuuuuu...?
Bored of using the Moore neighbourhood for everything? Introducing the Range-2 von Neumann isotropic non-totalistic rulespace!

User avatar
drc
Posts: 1664
Joined: December 3rd, 2015, 4:11 pm
Location: creating useless things in OCA

Re: apgsearch v1.0

Post by drc » July 8th, 2016, 12:46 am

It's having a hard time searching B2e3/S23-j, an extremely stable rule. What's going on (and I said heyyeyaaeyaaaeyaeyaa)
This post was brought to you by the letter D, for dishes that Andrew J. Wade won't do. (Also Daniel, which happens to be me.)
Current rule interest: B2ce3-ir4a5y/S2-c3-y

wildmyron
Posts: 1274
Joined: August 9th, 2013, 12:45 am

Re: apgsearch v1.0

Post by wildmyron » July 8th, 2016, 1:35 am

drc wrote:It's having a hard time searching B2e3/S23-j, an extremely stable rule. What's going on (and I said heyyeyaaeyaaaeyaeyaa)
I think you meant to post this on the Hacking apgsearch thread, but in any case something is going wrong with the rule parsing. When I tried a search with apgsearch-2016-2-06-v0.54+0.21i-update.py it was actually trying to search B23/S23 - doomed to failure. Searching works fine when I used my version of non-totalistic apgsearch (apgsearch-isotropic-v0.2.py) The search runs as expected. (No upload capability though.) I have no idea what's going wrong there.

Btw, that's a nice rule, lots of variety in the natural spaceships.
The latest version of the 5S Project contains over 221,000 spaceships. Tabulated pages up to period 160 are available on the LifeWiki.

User avatar
A for awesome
Posts: 1902
Joined: September 13th, 2014, 5:36 pm
Location: 0x-1
Contact:

Re: apgsearch v1.0

Post by A for awesome » July 8th, 2016, 12:59 pm

wildmyron wrote:
drc wrote:It's having a hard time searching B2e3/S23-j, an extremely stable rule. What's going on (and I said heyyeyaaeyaaaeyaeyaa)
I think you meant to post this on the Hacking apgsearch thread, but in any case something is going wrong with the rule parsing. When I tried a search with apgsearch-2016-2-06-v0.54+0.21i-update.py it was actually trying to search B23/S23 - doomed to failure. Searching works fine when I used my version of non-totalistic apgsearch (apgsearch-isotropic-v0.2.py) The search runs as expected. (No upload capability though.) I have no idea what's going wrong there.

Btw, that's a nice rule, lots of variety in the natural spaceships.
Did either of you generate the rule table before searching the rule? This is a drawback of 0.21i: it does not autogenerate the rule table for you; you have to use isotropic-rulegen.py to make the rule and enter it using an underscore, not a slash. I'll try to improve this when I get back from vacation in three weeks, or sooner if I can.
x₁=ηx
V ⃰_η=c²√(Λη)
K=(Λu²)/2
Pₐ=1−1/(∫^∞_t₀(p(t)ˡ⁽ᵗ⁾)dt)

$$x_1=\eta x$$
$$V^*_\eta=c^2\sqrt{\Lambda\eta}$$
$$K=\frac{\Lambda u^2}2$$
$$P_a=1-\frac1{\int^\infty_{t_0}p(t)^{l(t)}dt}$$

http://conwaylife.com/wiki/A_for_all

Aidan F. Pierce

User avatar
drc
Posts: 1664
Joined: December 3rd, 2015, 4:11 pm
Location: creating useless things in OCA

Re: apgsearch v1.0

Post by drc » July 8th, 2016, 1:08 pm

A for awesome wrote:Did either of you generate the rule table before searching the rule? This is a drawback of 0.21i: it does not autogenerate the rule table for you; you have to use isotropic-rulegen.py to make the rule and enter it using an underscore, not a slash. I'll try to improve this when I get back from vacation in three weeks, or sooner if I can.
I did, but it still searches like 3 soups a second
This post was brought to you by the letter D, for dishes that Andrew J. Wade won't do. (Also Daniel, which happens to be me.)
Current rule interest: B2ce3-ir4a5y/S2-c3-y

Moth-Wingthane
Posts: 12
Joined: October 11th, 2015, 8:54 pm

Re: apgsearch v1.0

Post by Moth-Wingthane » August 29th, 2016, 7:49 pm

muzik wrote:
Kazyan wrote:Add apgsearch.py to Golly's Scripts folder, then double-click the file from within Golly, instead of your file explorer.
When I do this, and click on it, it just gives a dialog box "Could not load the Python library" and asks me to type in the file adress for python27.dll and even when I do, the same box just comes up again.

Tried both with python27.dll at the end and not.


Where exactly should the file be located? When I searched for it, I found it in system32, but I'm not sure if that's the correct file. Is there a way to generate one?
This issue is exactly what I have with trying to get v1 running on Raspbian on a RPi. Everything is 32bit, so no issue there but I just can't see what needs to be entered here to make it happy.

User avatar
_zM
Posts: 172
Joined: June 26th, 2016, 3:07 pm

Re: apgsearch v1.0

Post by _zM » August 30th, 2016, 12:56 pm

Moth-Wingthane wrote:
muzik wrote:
Kazyan wrote:Add apgsearch.py to Golly's Scripts folder, then double-click the file from within Golly, instead of your file explorer.
When I do this, and click on it, it just gives a dialog box "Could not load the Python library" and asks me to type in the file adress for python27.dll and even when I do, the same box just comes up again.

Tried both with python27.dll at the end and not.


Where exactly should the file be located? When I searched for it, I found it in system32, but I'm not sure if that's the correct file. Is there a way to generate one?
This issue is exactly what I have with trying to get v1 running on Raspbian on a RPi. Everything is 32bit, so no issue there but I just can't see what needs to be entered here to make it happy.
On my (Ubuntu) laptop I had the same problem - turns out that sometimeswhen Python updated the file name changes. The old version was(as expected) libpython2.7.so (which didn't work), while the new file was named libpython2.7.so.1. Maybe you have a similar problem
Creator of multiple rules that may or may not be what you'd expect

User avatar
Rhombic
Posts: 1056
Joined: June 1st, 2013, 5:41 pm

Re: apgsearch v1.0

Post by Rhombic » August 31st, 2016, 6:48 am

I'm extremely sorry if this question is trivial, but I have found no information after searching (site:conwaylife.com).

How do you (or is it possible to) set apgsearch v1.0 to non-totalistic rules?
SoL : FreeElectronics : DeadlyEnemies : 6a-ite : Rule X3VI
what is “sesame oil”?

User avatar
_zM
Posts: 172
Joined: June 26th, 2016, 3:07 pm

Re: apgsearch v1.0

Post by _zM » August 31st, 2016, 6:49 am

Use one of the hacked versions.
Last edited by _zM on August 31st, 2016, 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Creator of multiple rules that may or may not be what you'd expect

User avatar
Rhombic
Posts: 1056
Joined: June 1st, 2013, 5:41 pm

Re: apgsearch v1.0

Post by Rhombic » August 31st, 2016, 7:26 am

_zM wrote:Use one of the hacked versio0ns.
Sorry... what do you mean?
SoL : FreeElectronics : DeadlyEnemies : 6a-ite : Rule X3VI
what is “sesame oil”?

User avatar
_zM
Posts: 172
Joined: June 26th, 2016, 3:07 pm

Re: apgsearch v1.0

Post by _zM » August 31st, 2016, 7:29 am

Creator of multiple rules that may or may not be what you'd expect

User avatar
Rhombic
Posts: 1056
Joined: June 1st, 2013, 5:41 pm

Re: apgsearch v1.0

Post by Rhombic » August 31st, 2016, 10:51 am

When I search for B37/S2-i34q, it just goes on with B37/S234 :(
SoL : FreeElectronics : DeadlyEnemies : 6a-ite : Rule X3VI
what is “sesame oil”?

User avatar
Apple Bottom
Posts: 1027
Joined: July 27th, 2015, 2:06 pm
Contact:

Re: apgsearch v1.0

Post by Apple Bottom » August 31st, 2016, 11:40 am

Rhombic wrote:When I search for B37/S2-i34q, it just goes on with B37/S234 :(
Non-isotropic rules aren't supported directly; you have to create a rules file first, e.g. using the isotropic-rule.py script (which I think is also floating around on the forums here somewhere). Running that script and entering "B37/S2-i34q" will create a file called B37_S2-i34q.rule; when then asked by apgsearch (Aidan's version) what rule to search, enter "B37_S2-i34q".
If you speak, your speech must be better than your silence would have been. — Arabian proverb

Catagolue: Apple Bottom • Life Wiki: Apple Bottom • Twitter: @_AppleBottom_

Proud member of the Pattern Raiders!

User avatar
dvgrn
Moderator
Posts: 5888
Joined: May 17th, 2009, 11:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: apgsearch v1.0

Post by dvgrn » August 31st, 2016, 11:46 am

Apple Bottom wrote:Non-isotropic rules aren't supported directly; you have to create a rules file first, e.g. using the isotropic-rule.py script (which I think is also floating around on the forums here somewhere).
The isotropic-rule-gen.py script is hiding on the Rule Request thread.

User avatar
Rhombic
Posts: 1056
Joined: June 1st, 2013, 5:41 pm

Re: apgsearch v1.0

Post by Rhombic » August 31st, 2016, 11:50 am

Thank you very much everyone, your help is greatly appreciated!
A bit disappointed at the slower searching speeds compared to totalistic rules (due to it being RuleTable) but better than having nothing at all.

- Rhombic
SoL : FreeElectronics : DeadlyEnemies : 6a-ite : Rule X3VI
what is “sesame oil”?

User avatar
Rhombic
Posts: 1056
Joined: June 1st, 2013, 5:41 pm

Re: apgsearch v1.0

Post by Rhombic » September 1st, 2016, 6:00 am

I am apgsearching B2-a3i4aijk/S2a3-i4 and the census counts xp2_5 and xp2_7 as different objects, when they are actually the two phases of the same oscillator.
SoL : FreeElectronics : DeadlyEnemies : 6a-ite : Rule X3VI
what is “sesame oil”?

Post Reply