Life Lessons...?

For general discussion about Conway's Game of Life.
MathAndCode

Re: Life Lessons...?

Post by MathAndCode » October 8th, 2020, 9:38 am

wzkchem5 wrote:
October 8th, 2020, 1:08 am
Which concept?
I can't remember for sure, but I think that it was something along the lines of the entire Universe is Brahman, and things like dogs are parts of the Brahman that happen to be dogs at this instant.
I am tentatively considering myself back.

wwei23

Post by wwei23 » October 8th, 2020, 9:42 am

The individual cells on their own turn on and off, without movement. But they can all move together.

MathAndCode

Post by MathAndCode » October 24th, 2020, 3:16 pm

wwei23 wrote:
October 8th, 2020, 9:42 am
The individual cells on their own turn on and off, without movement. But they can all move together.
Likewise, the belief states that the universe does not move, but instead, parts of it change state.
I am tentatively considering myself back.

Challenger007

Post by Challenger007 » November 6th, 2020, 6:54 am

MathAndCode wrote:
October 24th, 2020, 3:16 pm
wwei23 wrote:
October 8th, 2020, 9:42 am
Likewise, the belief states that the universe does not move, but instead, parts of it change state.
This is a very relative question. Science still has few answers regarding the existence of the Universe, so that we can clearly state what processes occur in it. Humanity has yet to comprehend the mysteries that are hidden in the Cosmos.

confocaloid

Post by confocaloid » March 30th, 2024, 6:41 pm

Conway's Life has also turned out to be a fairly effective Sorting Hat [...]
At the most basic level, I think I understand the "sorting hat" idea. Different people naturally become interested in different aspects of the field/hobby/game.

However, I don't believe this is anything close to a "either-or" classification. There is no division and there are no categories.
Being interested in mathematics of Conway's Life does not prevent one from appreciating efforts of people who assemble things that work. Making small patterns that can be evolved and watched on a screen does not prevent one from appreciating theory and very large constructions.

That was basically what I first thought, when I first stumbled upon this thread two years ago. At the time it seemed to be too obvious to be stated. Now I changed my mind on the "too obvious" part, after seeing how this was not obvious to others.

There is no "sorting hat". Overfocusing on distinctions and highlighting differences may not be a particularly good idea, when everything relies on enthusiasm.
127:1 B3/S234c User:Confocal/R (isotropic CA, incomplete)
Unlikely events happen.
My silence does not imply agreement, nor indifference. If I disagreed with something in the past, then please do not construe my silence as something that could change that.