A Short Documentary About Conway's Game of Life

For general discussion about Conway's Game of Life.
AlanZucconi

A Short Documentary About Conway's Game of Life

Post by AlanZucconi » September 28th, 2020, 7:41 am

Hi everyone! 👋

A few months ago I joined the forum to get help and advice on some patterns I was trying to build. Fist of all, thanks to the folks who have been kind enough to help!

As I mentioned in my original message, I was working on a short documentary about Conway's Game of Life. And it's finally done! 🎉
It will premiere on the 5th of October at 7pm BST, to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of Life's publication on Scientific American.
In case you are interested, you can watch it here. I will be in the chat during the premiere to add a few comments and to answer any questions. And later that day I will also publish a companion article which expands on the content of the video.

The documentary goes through the history of the game, to move on a more technical section that shows how to build a computer in Life. Or at least, how to get as close as possible in 25 minutes. I hope it will reach an audience that might have not heard of it before, or that did not expect it to be as complex.

Anyway, thank you again to the folks who helped, and I hope you will enjoy it. It is a love letter to one of the games that definitely steered my career towards science.

🧔🏻

pcallahan

Re: A Short Documentary About Conway's Game of Life

Post by pcallahan » October 16th, 2020, 9:15 pm

AlanZucconi wrote:
September 28th, 2020, 7:41 am
As I mentioned in my original message, I was working on a short documentary about Conway's Game of Life. And it's finally done!
Thanks for making this. It's really good. (I finally had a chance to watch.) I like the animations on wrinkled paper. It's a nice way to add some magic to the video presentation.

rowett

Re: A Short Documentary About Conway's Game of Life

Post by rowett » October 17th, 2020, 12:19 am

Alan thank you for making this. It was beautifully done, informative and engaging. I thoroughly enjoyed watching it!