CGoL / CA conference

For general discussion about Conway's Game of Life.
Rhombic

CGoL / CA conference

Post by Rhombic » October 8th, 2020, 5:31 am

Firstly, I am aware I have been rather absent from the CGoL forums lately.
I was wondering, perhaps we could organise some kind of online conference (with any of a number of programs) to discuss recent developments in CGoL. Also future work and possible collaborations.
SoL : FreeElectronics : DeadlyEnemies : 6a-ite : Rule X3VI
what is “sesame oil”?

wzkchem5

Re: CGoL / CA conference

Post by wzkchem5 » October 8th, 2020, 5:43 am

Rhombic wrote:
October 8th, 2020, 5:31 am
Firstly, I am aware I have been rather absent from the CGoL forums lately.
I was wondering, perhaps we could organise some kind of online conference (with any of a number of programs) to discuss recent developments in CGoL. Also future work and possible collaborations.
+1
That will be exciting!
The Red Phoenix, The Yellow Phoenix, The Pink Phoenix And The Multicolored Phoenix

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » October 8th, 2020, 5:44 am

Rhombic wrote:
October 8th, 2020, 5:31 am
I would certainly participate in a CAGoLCon if such a thing was organized, just to see what would happen.

However, I'm pretty well maxed out on CGoL thankless tasks at the moment, between LifeWiki editing and forum moderation, and organizing a CAGoLCon is the grandfather-pattern of all thankless tasks. So somebody else, or preferably a team of several someones, would have to commit to picking that up and carrying it to conclusion.

Rhombic

Post by Rhombic » October 8th, 2020, 10:20 am

This morning, I didn't have much time to expand on my brief post. Apologies.

I could probably help to organise something but, perhaps, having a team of three would be most useful.
I assume many of you are researchers or probably well-acquainted with academia. Most CGoL and CA stuff that is done is reported here on the forums but, however, most people will be most involved in a particular subsection (new programs, glider syntheses, engineered structures, etc). I am therefore inclined to suggest that, once enough people show interest, any speakers could choose to present not only their recent work but also broader reviews of the areas they are most familiarised with (there is no need for these to be particularly lengthy, that is up to us to arrange).

Having said that, and having seen how easy it is to arrange videoconference meetings (as many of us will have realised by this month), I think it would be feasible to organise, it would help spark ideas for new collaborations, it would help newcomers or people less involved in some areas to learn about glider syntheses/using programs/designing programs/various other...

I think it's worth it.
SoL : FreeElectronics : DeadlyEnemies : 6a-ite : Rule X3VI
what is “sesame oil”?

Macbi

Post by Macbi » October 8th, 2020, 12:13 pm

Timezones would be an issue. Perhaps we could have people post in advance which talks they're interested in and what their availability is. Then we could schedule the talks around that.

My other thought is that I'm working full time and don't want to take lots of time off to attend a conference. Younger users will have the analogous issue with school. Maybe a more spread-out format like a seminar would work better?

wwei23

Post by wwei23 » October 8th, 2020, 7:25 pm

Weekends exist for a reason.

Moosey

Post by Moosey » October 8th, 2020, 9:05 pm

wwei23 wrote:
October 8th, 2020, 7:25 pm
Weekends exist for a reason.
Weekends don't solve timezones
not active here but active on discord