A guide for new Life enthusiasts

For general discussion about Conway's Game of Life.
MathAndCode

A guide for new Life enthusiasts

Post by MathAndCode » November 16th, 2020, 9:01 pm

I figured that it would be a good idea to create some sort of guide for people newly discovering ConwayLife. I was inspired by The Wikipedia Adventure. I used an example of an oscillator that I independently discovered myself, and the process is the same. I used animated images from the ConwayLife wiki for the middleweight volcano, Unix, Kok's galaxy, and Beluchenko's p13, and I also used some videos of LifeViewer. Do you think that this is something that should be pursued further?
Attachments
Finding oscillators introduction.pptx.zip
(3.82 MiB) Downloaded 114 times
I am tentatively considering myself back.

creeperman7002

Re: A guide for new Life enthusiasts

Post by creeperman7002 » November 16th, 2020, 9:06 pm

Could an online spreadsheet be made for users that don't have powerpoint (like me)?
B2n3-jn/S1c23-y is an interesting rule. It has a replicator, a fake glider, an OMOS and SMOS, a wide variety of oscillators, and some signals. Also this rule is omniperiodic.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4856

MathAndCode

Post by MathAndCode » November 16th, 2020, 9:07 pm

creeperman7002 wrote:
November 16th, 2020, 9:06 pm
Could an online spreadsheet be made for users that don't have powerpoint (like me)?
Would recording a run-through be okay?

goldenratio

Post by goldenratio » November 16th, 2020, 9:13 pm

It would be better for this sort of thing to be put on the Lifewiki (especially since we already have a pretty extensive tutorial system there.)

Though I'm not really sure if any new users actually use the tutorials. Should we make them more visible?
Oscillator discussion is boring me out. I'll return when the cgol community switches to something else.

Me on LifeWiki

MathAndCode

Post by MathAndCode » November 16th, 2020, 9:18 pm

goldenratio wrote:
November 16th, 2020, 9:13 pm
Though I'm not really sure if any new users actually use the tutorials. Should we make them more visible?
I didn't know about the tutorial system until just now, so they should be made more visible.
Also, I don't think that the subject of my tutorial fits into any of the tutorials listed. Should it be added?