Suggested patterns for Golly

For general discussion about Conway's Game of Life.
dvgrn

Re: Suggested patterns for Golly

Post by dvgrn » January 12th, 2022, 11:04 am

GUYTU6J wrote:
January 12th, 2022, 12:55 am
There are at least three questions for the mysterious "LifeWiki Pattern Archive": 1) is it the same as the Pattern collection that can be downloaded from the LifeWiki main page? 2) how is it updated? 3) what is its current status?
Yes, it's the same Pattern collection. It's supposed to be updated automatically every night by the LifeWiki server, but it looks like that hasn't been happening for a while -- possibly a casualty of the move to the new server. The current status is that I've emailed Nathaniel about this, so it should start being up to date within a day... sometime fairly soon.

The last run of the auto-upload script was last September, so it's time for another one of those -- I'll try to get to that by the end of the weekend.
GUYTU6J wrote:
January 12th, 2022, 12:55 am
I think the proposed pattern is more like those under Life/Rakes; running these in Golly without activating LifeViewer scripts are fine.
There's a reasonable addition that could be done to the construction-arm demo comments, which is that old #C-style comments could be added to mention showinviewer.lua (as usual) -- but also the information conveyed by the labels could maybe be duplicated as readable #C comments at the top of the file.

Maybe that's a good standard to aim for -- have some readable comments, with the option to do more via LifeViewer.

muzik

Post by muzik » January 13th, 2022, 4:09 am

Some more candidates for addition that I'll format correctly at some point:

This recently-found Langton's Ant simulator is a no-brainer:

Code: Select all

x = 4, y = 2, rule = B3-cjkq4knqy5cnr7/S02-cn3-ak4eiq5kq6e7e
o2bo$3o!
I also recently stumbled upon an OCA rule posted last year that allows for adjustable-speed replicators, even if the adjustability is rather messy:

x = 3, y = 1253, rule = B3aeiy4eqrty5cijn6ck7c8/S2-i3acein4cejkq5ir6cei7c8
bo$obo$bo4$bo$obo$bo48$bo$obo$bo8$bo$obo$bo63$bo$obo$bo13$bo$obo$bo77$
bo$obo$bo20$bo$obo$bo113$bo$obo$bo25$bo$obo$bo123$bo$obo$bo32$bo$obo$b
o164$bo$obo$bo37$bo$obo$bo180$bo$obo$bo44$bo$obo$bo216$bo$obo$bo49$bo$
obo$bo!

GUYTU6J

Post by GUYTU6J » January 16th, 2022, 5:57 am

Okay, for the moment a few (around 30) proposed OCA patterns in a package:
assorted-pattern-suggestions.rar
For post p140362 only!!
(40.75 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
It does not contain any example from discord, or developed conduit-y rules like Pi-plicator, Movostill 3 and Suns (but that's mostly because there is no ready collection for technologies). Speaking of collection, how large in file size is allowed? The one mentioned in my signature will be 166KB in RLE format.
Meanwhile, I have two ideas for GoL but I'm not likely to do myself: 1) a collection of 3-, 4-, and 5-glider syntheses, 2) a timeline for period-14 glider guns to see how the construction has been reduced over time.
And finally, a little question: what should be used to indicate exponential, a single caret (^) or doule asterisks (**) ?

hotdogPi

Post by hotdogPi » January 16th, 2022, 8:10 am

GUYTU6J wrote:
January 16th, 2022, 5:57 am
The one mentioned in my signature will be 166KB in RLE format.
My oscillator collection is larger, and it got included.
User:HotdogPi/My discoveries

Periods discovered: 5-16,⑱,⑳G,㉑G,㉒㉔㉕,㉗-㉛,㉜SG,㉞㉟㊱㊳㊵㊷㊹㊺㊽㊿,54G,55G,56,57G,60,62-66,68,70,73,74S,75,76S,80,84,88,90,96
100,02S,06,08,10,12,14G,16,17G,20,26G,28,38,47,48,54,56,72,74,80,92,96S

S: SKOP
G: gun

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » January 16th, 2022, 8:44 am

GUYTU6J wrote:
Speaking of collection, how large in file size is allowed? The one mentioned in my signature will be 166KB in RLE format.
An occasional 166KB file is absolutely fine, if there isn't a smaller way to show the same behavior.

OCA is a huge field for collecting interesting specimens, so if we keep going we'll eventually overflow the reasonable size of a Golly installation package, and will have to go back to the model where the program comes with just a relatively small "Best Of" collection, and then there's a separate Extended Pattern Collection ZIP file, maybe with an automatic delivery system so you can just run the right script or choose a menu item to drop it into the right place in Golly's folders.

Too many patterns would be a great problem to have, so let's just keep going for now! My rough estimate is that we might start thinking about separating out an Extended Pattern ZIP file when we hit a 25MB installer, and we'd actually do the subdivision by the time we hit 50MB, and certainly by the time we hit 100MB. Golly 4.1 is currently in the range of 15MB-22MB (the Mac version is a lot bigger for some reason) so we have a little wiggle room yet. And if Internet speed and standard computer memory keep growing, maybe those targets will grow a little bit by the time we reach them.
GUYTU6J wrote:
And finally, a little question: what should be used to indicate exponential, a single caret (^) or dou{b}e asterisks (**) ?
I'd say the caret is a much more standard exponentiation sign -- works in Google calculator "searches", for example. Double asterisks is a weird aberration of a syntax, mostly just used by Python as far as I know (though I'm sure there's some other computer language that Python inherited this weirdness from... yup, FORTRAN!)

muzik

Post by muzik » January 17th, 2022, 6:44 am

While not exactly a pattern suggestion (and yes, I'm aware of the irony of me potentially derailing a thread which I myself created to remedy another "derailing"), but could we possibly have more rule aliases included in Golly? The current list is archaic (not even the LtL rule names are included, even though they're all listed in the help section of the algorithm), and the list being lacking appears to be a cause of compatibility problems for other programs which do in fact recognise aliases:
rowett wrote:
January 7th, 2022, 8:26 am
muzik wrote:
January 7th, 2022, 2:41 am
Some hexagonal OT aliases from this video:
We're probably quite overdue on an aliases update since the last one was from August 2020 - I'll need to rake through pretty much every OCA thread started since then to be complete.
I'm now thinking that for aliases to be a "good thing" they need to be shared across the common tools. Otherwise they become annoying since people might post a pattern using an alias and find it gets rejected when they paste it into another tool.
The LifeViewer and Catagolue alias lists haven't been updated much for a couple of years or so - I'm currently in the process of hunting down and tabulating aliases yet to be added to each, what may be present in one but not the other, and so on, to rectify this. I assume aliases are all fine to add and there hasn't been some major decision to forbid the addition of any further aliases to the program for whatever reason?

otismo

Post by otismo » February 27th, 2022, 4:02 pm

I would like to suggest this pattern, because I feel that c/10 development is important :

#N mr-t-printer-feb2022-brands-bunch-15-bitmaps.rle
#O Christoph Reinthaler, 22 February 2022
#C Otis Schmakel used a script by dvgrn to load 15 bitmap images
#C
#C
#C     The rule is life B3/S23.
#C     The pattern is a c/10 orthogonal loafer backrake.
#C
#C
#C     The spaceship has been engineered
#C        to print bitmaps with columns 37 pixels high.
#C     The pixels are loafers generated by the backrake,
#C        which has registers that print 37 rows. 
#C     The original bitmap image is rendered in cells by golly,
#C        a vector graphic or truetype font .png image.
#C     The .png image is copied in ms paint, and simply pasted into golly.
#C     The result in golly must have columns which are 37 cells in height or less.
#C
#C
#C     A script is used :
#C        https://conwaylife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3982&p=142037#p142037
#C     The content to be printed must have a paste pixel in the upper left corner.
#C     The script transposes the content from cells to blocks which are arranged in
#C        an input-specific grid, to be destructively read into the printer memory ( ROM ).
#C     The output from the script must be run one generation to eliminate alignment pixels.
#C     Then it is the pasted into an empty printer carriage pattern ( same post above )
#C        that also has a corresponding paste block.
#C     The paste block is then deleted unless it is part of the image/content.
#C
#C
#C     When the saved pattern is run, the data to create the loafer bitmap image
#C     ( script output ) is read into ROM by a read apparatus - the blocks first become boats.
#C     It is fascinating to follow the data through this two-dimensional machine ( more... ).
#C
#C
#C Follow c/10 development in the c/10 constructions thread :
#C     https://conwaylife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3982
#C
#C
x = 225716, y = 10748, rule = B3/S23
< code snipped />

Complete Pattern File :
mr-t-printer-feb2022-brands-bunch-15-bitmaps.rle
commented RLE file
(2.13 MiB) Downloaded 20 times
mr-t-printer-feb2022-brands-bunch-15-bitmaps.txt
text file just in case
(2.13 MiB) Downloaded 20 times
My comments can be edited/deleted, or I can elaborate further, as necessary.

Thank You !

Cheers !
"One picture is worth 1000 words; but one thousand words, carefully crafted, can paint an infinite number of pictures."
- autonomic writing
forFUN : http://viropet.com
Art Gallery : http://cgolart.com
Video WebSite : http://conway.life

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » February 27th, 2022, 6:15 pm

otismo wrote:
February 27th, 2022, 4:02 pm
I would like to suggest this pattern, because I feel that c/10 development is important...
Thanks for the work on this! As a minor recommendation, it works a lot better to attach this kind of monster pattern in macrocell format. Macrocell files are automatically set up to run using HashLife, whereas RLE files default to QuickLife -- and QuickLife, to say the least, isn't very quick when it's dealing with files of this size, whereas HashLife has no problem.
mr-t-printer-feb2022-brands-bunch-15-bitmaps.mc
(556.96 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
As for including in Golly, there are a couple of things preventing that:

1) Your pattern is a "Very Large Pattern" (as these things are measured). The attached macrocell version is a bit over half a megabyte, which is a lot better than the two-megabyte-plus RLE version -- but it's still a size that we'd probably decide to put in the "Very Large Patterns" online archive, rather than shipping as part of Golly's installed pattern collection... just to keep Golly's installation file size down.

2) The particular banner content that you have in this pattern is not likely to make it even into the Online Archives. I think one of GilGil's banner spaceships, or one of the Wolfram rule calculators, would probably fit in to the collection a lot better than a row of random corporate logos.

I don't know if you've noticed this, but the conwaylife.com community tends to be more than a little bit wary of the logo/advertising angle that's apparent in a lot of your Life pattern experiments... to the point where, for example, when a user named "otismo" showed up on Discord early last year (not sure if it was you or not, since you/they never said anything) one of the first welcome messages was
um
please do not advertise
and welcome
This is probably an inevitable consequence of the attitudes that come along with hacker culture. Yes, marketing "is the way the world works, and there's no use in whining about it." But conversely, the title of that linked article is "Hacking Is The Opposite of Marketing".

The way a lot of Lifenthusiasts' minds work -- including mine, I should say! -- includes a visceral adverse reaction to any kind of advertising images imported into the otherwise nice friendly non-political and mostly non-monetizable universe of Conway's Life. You really can't argue away that instant feeling of nausea, either. It's a very strong feeling, and it underlies (for example) a lot of the reluctance of many people around here to have anything to do with cellular-automata-related NFTs.

Long story short, I think you're right that one of GilGil's printers should probably find its way into Golly's Online Archives, with some of GilGil's original imagery along with your explanatory comments. It's just hard for me to see how Coca-Cola, Adidas, Google, Netflix, and the rest belong anywhere near Golly's pattern collection.

otismo

Post by otismo » March 1st, 2022, 7:30 am

@ dvgrn :

Thank You for your Consideration - Much Appreciated !

I feel you are right about including @ GilGils work, especially :
Wolfram rule 54 calculator module x Wolfram rule 72 calculator module x 256 printer.mc
most interesting must see under 600 Kb
(592.27 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
I do not think I could explain that pattern, and I am having a

considerable hard time trying to figure out @ Mr. T's clever

circuitry and data handling techniques; there is a lot going on -

I am lucky I can get it to work for me correctly, but to actually

use a C10 FireShip Based Loafer BackRake BitMap Printer

SpaceShip, and Program into it's Memory your very own

message/image/LoGo/whatever, has got to give the Newbies a thrill !

And of course you are right about the FileSize - so I shrunk it :
so folks can see what it looks like
so folks can see what it looks like
golly-pattern-submission-two.png (8.32 KiB) Viewed 3809 times
MrT-Printer-FEB2022-10-pixel-height-with-Eater-msg-cgol.mc.gz
this one is only 146 Kb and still astounding
(146.23 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
I will gladly do an elaborately complete instructional commentary

whether or not it is accepted ( as soon as I understand it better ).

I really believe that c/10 development is important...

Since I am trying to promote CGoL to a very broad, general public,

trying to find crisp, clear bitmap images that the people can identify

with, when limited to a pixel height column of only 37 cells ( or less ),

is very difficult. Excellent quality high resolution vector graphic

corporate LoGo images are available, and work splendidly !

It has long been a mission of mine to interest the Graphic Artist

Community in CGoL - and when they ultimately get involved,

our "hobby" will never be the same again !

On a side note, I have never made nor bought any NFTs.

Neither have I ever been involved in any kind of crypto

whatsoever. But I strongly feel that someone ought to

be able to do what they are passionate about - in a

professional manner, at a professional level, like

our @ SimSim has so cogently made the case !

Thanks Again for All Your Work !

Cheers !
"One picture is worth 1000 words; but one thousand words, carefully crafted, can paint an infinite number of pictures."
- autonomic writing
forFUN : http://viropet.com
Art Gallery : http://cgolart.com
Video WebSite : http://conway.life

GUYTU6J

Post by GUYTU6J » March 1st, 2022, 9:58 am

dvgrn wrote:
February 27th, 2022, 6:15 pm
I don't know if you've noticed this, but the conwaylife.com community tends to be more than a little bit wary of the logo/advertising angle that's apparent in a lot of your Life pattern experiments...

The way a lot of Lifenthusiasts' minds work -- including mine, I should say! -- includes a visceral adverse reaction to any kind of advertising images imported into the otherwise nice friendly non-political and mostly non-monetizable universe of Conway's Life. You really can't argue away that instant feeling of nausea, either. It's a very strong feeling, and it underlies (for example) a lot of the reluctance of many people around here to have anything to do with cellular-automata-related NFTs.
Whew, thanks for speaking this out! For the record, I insisted expressing my objections when he returned to his own Sandbox thread in 2019, but gave up later because in addition to keeping the habit all along, he began spreading to other threads, especially the one for c/10 technology.

While I am here, here are a few things to note:
  • Sierpinski-builder.rle should be moved to the Replicator folder.
  • whitespace-17c2415-spaceship.rle needs renaming because it is not related to the quadratically growing whitespace. Maybe call it "whiteboard" instead. Actually I prefer the higher-period 67c/15463o that is briefly mentioned here, also from yujh on discord; the longer the period, the more you can observe.
  • There is a typo in the comments of drylife-p480-rake-gun.rle (Jason Summers, not Jasom).
  • The recent decision to discard www. in the canonical URL to conwaylife.com means that a large amount of pattern comments needs editing. Although redirecting works for sure, there may be caching issues for URL variants.
  • Can I have my assorted-pattern-suggestions officially admitted? There is no objection for at least a month.

GUYTU6J

Post by GUYTU6J » March 5th, 2022, 12:17 am

Double post to bump the thread again; I have reorganized HashLife folder and added four of my fangtian patterns with comments.
ordered-HashLife.zip
(446.06 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
Whether or not my suggestions here and above will be accepted, please give a response. (EDIT after seeing the message below: oh, okay, got it.)
Last edited by GUYTU6J on March 5th, 2022, 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » March 5th, 2022, 7:35 am

GUYTU6J wrote:
March 5th, 2022, 12:17 am
Double post to bump the thread again; I have reorganized HashLife folder and added four of my fangtian patterns with comments.
ordered-HashLife.zip
Whether or not my suggestions here and above will be accepted, please give a response.
These suggestions and contributions are all very much appreciated, just like last time around. The only difference is that there's no imminent new Golly release coming up right at the moment, so I'm catching up on a lot of other maintenance tasks, along with dealing with the next stage of the release of the Life textbook, before doing the next big review and check-in push.

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » April 21st, 2022, 4:17 am

Status report: I do still remember the remaining check-in tasks described above, and hope to have some time to work through them this weekend.

Checkins are happening nowadays for Golly 4.2 beta, so if anyone wants to contribute more CGoL or OCA patterns, now would be a good time to start writing up some comments! There's no definite release plan yet (that I know of, anyway!) -- but this will be something of a "bugfix" release, so unless the Golly Gang gets ambitious about throwing in some new features, the beta build might suddenly become available sooner rather than later.

GUYTU6J

Post by GUYTU6J » May 6th, 2022, 1:55 am

Just had a glance at the progress, and it seems that several freshly added patterns are not documented in the changes.html like the B29 gun. There are also a bunch of residual www. before links in pattern comments.

...And by the way, where are the other pattern curators? Is there anything special besides lack of time/interest that provides less opprtunity for appearance of Discord materials?

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » May 6th, 2022, 8:10 am

GUYTU6J wrote:
May 6th, 2022, 1:55 am
Just had a glance at the progress, and it seems that several freshly added patterns are not documented in the changes.html like the B29 gun. There are also a bunch of residual www. before links in pattern comments.
I'm surprised that I missed adding patterns to changes.html -- thought I had been very systematic about that, but maybe there was a separate earlier checkin that didn't get documented. I didn't try to deal with the "www" issue in the last checkin, since I had already stayed up way too late to get through the pattern additions.

There will be another build soon, so I'll take another look maybe this weekend. Lists of specific changes would be helpful as usual.

GUYTU6J wrote:
May 6th, 2022, 1:55 am
...And by the way, where are the other pattern curators? Is there anything special besides lack of time/interest that provides less opp[o]rtunity for appearance of Discord materials?
Willingness and ability to wear a Pattern Collector's Hat for any length of time, seems to be a rare trait among CA enthusiasts.

But at least it's not a thankless task, at least not entirely

-- thank you again for all the work you've done lately!

erictom333

Post by erictom333 » May 6th, 2022, 8:28 am

I'm more than willing to contribute some patterns from my personal collection, but I can't redownload Golly on my iPad for some reason.

GUYTU6J

Post by GUYTU6J » May 8th, 2022, 4:37 am

I don't have a list of specific changes to propose but there is a new suggested non-totalistic pattern, the comment for which I want to generalize so as to set up some kind of standard. The pattern is
toroidalet wrote:
December 18th, 2017, 7:53 pm
One of those "factories" you commonly see in ExtendedLife-like rules:

x = 3, y = 3, rule = B35cj6ce7/S34-cry5-jnr6ci78
bo$3o$bo!
It belongs to the family of novelty generators, whose long-term behaviour is worth describing in the comment. Some details requiring specification include
  • How brief should the provided census of possible objects/subpatterns be?
  • How many points of interest should be described chronologically, and how much to write for each?
  • If a link to an online screenshot for the pattern at some distant future is offered, which site* should it be put on and what information should be reflected in the capture, possibly including population, zoom and relative location?
In this particular case, I would do it like

#N novelty-cross.rle
#O toroidalet, December 18 2017
#C
#C     A tiny X-pentomino in this non-totalisic rule is a long-lived,
#C prolific hotspring, spawning a cross-shaped configuration with a
#C scattering of objects everywhere. 
#C     At T=868, four X-pentominoes 37 cells away from center forms,
#C later disrupted to give sixteen of these seeds at T=1221. From
#C their interaction arises several transient 6-cell c/2o spaceships.
#C     At T=2252, four triangular 9-cell c/3o spaceships appears,
#C travelling backward to be consumed at the center.
#C     At T=3160, sixteen seeds begin to expand perpendicularly,
#C creating 9-cell 8c/76o spaceships towards the axes.
#C     At T=3781, the first four escaping c/3o spaceships emerges. 
#C Later, if removing the debris 140 cells away from the center, the
#C pattern would converge to a massive four-barrelled period-5040 gun.
#C     At T=16758, a c/3o spaceship catches up with a 8c/76o one along
#C the axis, dropping a seed at a whopping 908 cells away from the 
#C center. But multiple spaceship collisions terminate its activity
#C at T=28433. Similar events will happen a lot of times soon.
#C     Sometimes the center may temporarily settle into a simple still
#C life or an oscillator, but after a while it will be re-ignited by
#C spaceships from four directions. The generation counts are listed
#C below:
#C 1755681 4bo$2b5o$b7o$b2obob2o$9o$b2obob2o$b7o$2b5o$4bo! 1760440 
#C 2444797 2obob2o$7o$bobobo$7o$bobobo$7o$2obob2o! 2719552 
#C 2822812 3bo3bo$2b2o3b2o$bob5obo$3o5b3o$2bob3obo$2bob3obo$2bob3obo$3o5b3o$bob5obo$2b2o3b2o$3bo3bo! 2875606 
#C 3210741 b2obob2o$ob5obo$2o5b2o$bob3obo$2ob3ob2o$bob3obo$2o5b2o$ob5obo$b2obob2o! 4092264 
#C 4274117 b2obob2o$ob5obo$2o5b2o$bob3obo$2ob3ob2o$bob3obo$2o5b2o$ob5obo$b2obob2o! 4275201 
#C 5353175 4bo$2b5o$b7o$b2obob2o$9o$b2obob2o$b7o$2b5o$4bo! /
#C     Eventually the center is extinguished at T=5353175, and soon no
#C further interesting events will take place.
#C 
#C Reference:
#C https://conwaylife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=53857#p53857
#C A screenshot for the settled pattern at generation 2^24 is available:
#C https://conwaylife.com/forums/download/file.php?id=5000
x = 3, y = 3, rule = B35cj6ce7/S34-cry5-jnr6ci78
bo$3o$bo!
novelty-cross.png
novelty-cross.png (18.85 KiB) Viewed 3452 times
* Some users may be in favor of using discord to host image, but that doesn't work for me. Hold on it is the 5000th attachment what a lucky coincidence
So is this model good enough?

GUYTU6J

Post by GUYTU6J » May 10th, 2022, 8:41 am

Double-post for another minor issue: when there is a pattern to be mentioned in the comment, I worry that
GUYTU6J wrote:
October 29th, 2021, 10:59 pm
However, for these RLEs to appear in comment rather than actual pattern, there will be a mark #C at the start of every line, meaning you need to remove it when copy&pasting which is inconvenient.
But now I see that switch-engine-breeder-MR.rle is an existing example:

#C 5 beehives and 75 blocks produce a quadratically expanding
#C population when hit by a single trigger glider.
#C This is a nonstandard "Blockish" construction of Mitchell Riley's
#C switch-engine breeder from July 2006, which in its minimal form
#C contains just 38 ON cells:
#C x = 135, y = 41, rule = B3/S23
#C 131b4o$130bo3bo$134bo$133bo3$130boo$130bobo$132bo$130b3o5$131b4o$
#C 130bo3bo$134bo$133bo9$94b4o$93bo3bo$97bo$96bo8$b4o$o3bo$4bo$3bo!
Should future pattern comments be written like this?

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » May 10th, 2022, 8:55 am

GUYTU6J wrote:
May 10th, 2022, 8:41 am
Double-post for another minor issue: when there is a pattern to be mentioned in the comment, I worry that
GUYTU6J wrote:
October 29th, 2021, 10:59 pm
However, for these RLEs to appear in comment rather than actual pattern, there will be a mark #C at the start of every line, meaning you need to remove it when copy&pasting which is inconvenient.
But now I see that switch-engine-breeder-MR.rle is an existing example:
Should future pattern comments be written like this?
It's fine to do that if the quoted pattern is just "for reference", as in this case -- it's not usually necessary to run it, but it's good to have it available in case someone wants to see it.

Another option would be to put the secondary RLE after the exclamation point in the initial RLE. Everything after the exclamation point is ignored, so it's only by convention that lines of comments down there begin with #C

A third possibility would be to check in a ZIP file instead of an RLE file. Then an HTML page of links will pop up, and people can click to open individual patterns.

muzik

Post by muzik » August 21st, 2022, 10:08 pm

muzik wrote:
December 22nd, 2021, 4:24 pm
dvgrn wrote:
December 17th, 2021, 10:57 am
muzik wrote:
December 16th, 2021, 10:17 pm
On the topic of patterns bundled with Golly: would it be possible to remove the bounded grids from the Generations and Larger than Life patterns since the algorithms have evolved to the point where they're no longer neccessary (and their presence ends up being disruptive)?
Sure! A collection of corrected patterns, posted here as a ZIP file, would probably get checked in relatively quickly (assuming no one else came up with any objections).
As was requested in the other thread, here's a zip file containing all of the modified patterns:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... v0.1.0.zip
Just reiterating since it's been a while: would it be possible to have these replacements be added into the pattern collection, preferably before the release of Golly 4.2?

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » August 21st, 2022, 10:38 pm

muzik wrote:
August 21st, 2022, 10:08 pm
Just reiterating since it's been a while: would it be possible to have these replacements be added into the pattern collection, preferably before the release of Golly 4.2?
Hmm, I missed this one when backtracking to look for things to add for Golly 4.2. My apologies.

I can certainly check in changes, but they might have to wait until Golly 4.3 for an official rollout at this point. A new set of builds has already been generated, and it would be good to get Golly 4.2 out the door. This is going to be a good start on a re-work of the material from MCell's pattern collection, but there's probably quite a bit more that could be done in this area.

Does the link work for other people, and can someone add it here as a regular attachment? I haven't been able to get it to download.

confocaloid

Post by confocaloid » August 21st, 2022, 11:00 pm

dvgrn wrote:
August 21st, 2022, 10:38 pm
Does the link work for other people, and can someone add it here as a regular attachment? I haven't been able to get it to download.
Attachments
golly-redone-patterns-v0.1.0.zip
(38.91 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
127:1 B3/S234c User:Confocal/R (isotropic rules, incomplete)
Unlikely events happen.
My silence does not imply agreement, nor indifference. If I disagreed with something in the past, then please do not construe my silence as something that could change that.

GUYTU6J

Post by GUYTU6J » August 21st, 2022, 11:04 pm

muzik wrote:
August 21st, 2022, 10:08 pm
muzik wrote:
As was requested in the other thread, here's a zip file containing all of the modified patterns:
[link]
Changed made are as follows: bounded grids where unneccessary (i.e. every Generations/LtL pattern that had them excluding Majority) have had them removed, all .mcl files have been converted to .rle, the comments have been reformatted as to more closely line up with more modern standards for comments in patterns included alongside Golly, and the files in question have also been renamed from CamelCase to lowercase-and-dashes.

I've also converted all of the LtL patterns to use the HROT rulestring notation rather than the Larger than Life notation...
I cannot open the link now, but did you clarify the source of these patterns, the modifications you made and the reasons in the comments? Modern adaption/adjustion is fine, but historical materials should also be preserved.

EDIT: I just saw the pattern collection above and checked. The answer is no. Okay, at least there is more time to fix that before submission now.

muzik

Post by muzik » August 22nd, 2022, 7:56 am

GUYTU6J wrote:
August 21st, 2022, 11:04 pm
did you clarify the source of these patterns, the modifications you made and the reasons in the comments? Modern adaption/adjustion is fine, but historical materials should also be preserved.
muzik wrote:
Changes made are as follows: bounded grids where unneccessary (i.e. every Generations/LtL pattern that had them excluding Majority) have had them removed, all .mcl files have been converted to .rle, the comments have been reformatted as to more closely line up with more modern standards for comments in patterns included alongside Golly, and the files in question have also been renamed from CamelCase to lowercase-and-dashes.

I've also converted all of the LtL patterns to use the HROT rulestring notation rather than the Larger than Life notation. Hopefully this bold move of mine doesn't end up being too controversial - my reasonings for doing so are encapsulated in the linked post (with at least one more reason being discovered while I was doing the conversion), and I hope everyone agrees with the statements raised there. To summarise, HROT's notation does away with the needlessly confusing M parameter, and uses less characters to describe LtL rules than traditional LtL notation does. I've tested all affected patterns thoroughly (excluding the range 500 bug, which is far too high-period for me to oscar, but the first few generations line up, and since one value being off would cause this to not be the case I'm certain it's fine) and they all run completely fine, so this change shouldn't cause any issues in terms of patterns no longer working.

muzik

Post by muzik » August 24th, 2022, 2:14 pm

#N ironic-spaceship.rle
#O Connor Steppie, 16 September 2017
#C A lament of motorists worldwide, the traffic light is a very commonly
#C encountered object by Lifenthusiasts of all kinds. To the chagrin of
#C many drivers, a freak mutation of Life has resulted in two of them
#C joining forces to become a (7,0)c/34 spaceship together.
#C Reference: https://conwaylife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=803&p=51007#p51007
x = 9, y = 17, rule = B36-in7e/S23
4bo$4bo$4bo2$3o3b3o2$4bo$4bo$4bo2$3b3o2$bo5bo$bo5bo$bo5bo2$3b3o!
Also, a minor edit that can be made: since I don't know of any slower spaceships being discovered since, the "as of 2021" date in 4c273954-slow-ship.rle can be changed to 2022.