What about a documentary?

For general discussion about Conway's Game of Life.
Alberto Neri

What about a documentary?

Post by Alberto Neri » September 6th, 2022, 3:02 am

I searched for good video that talks exclusively of Conway's Game of Life. But doesn't exist; and yes, I saw the BBC's, Veritasium et al.

Due lack of really good documentary I will be doing one about 45:00 to 60:00 minutes, maybe more. Or maybe shortest chapters of 20:00—30:00 minutes.

I have enough experience in multimedia technology, I worked in television (Studied Television and audiovisual media) also, my crew and I made some short movies, then it's not a issue… well, stop talk of me.

The point is: I will make THE DOCUMENTARY (yes, or yes); I've spend almost a year check one by one of the huge collection of patterns in
(https://conwaylife.com/patterns/all.zip) for select the most illustrative & interesting patterns.

I'm not english native speaker, but the documentary will be in english among other languages (spoken and subtitled).

This work isn't commercial, no money involved. All collaboration will be "Pro bono".

What I need for you are:
• Volunteers for translation for others languages.
• Volunteers for dubbin voice for all languages. Ideally native speakers.
• Technical advisors of Golly and other tech.
• Experts of Conway's Game of Life (for not make factual mistakes).
• Suggesters of topics for the documentary.

I will credit in the documentary itself (scrolling credits) for all and each one of the collaborated persons. If will be a website of the documentary, also in it.

We will use original music made specially for the documentary.

My goal is make the Cosmos documentary equivalent of Conway's Game of Life. This is a love letter for the memory of John Horton Conway.

Thanks in advance. Will be in contact soon.

— Alberto Neri.

dvgrn

Re: What about a documentary?

Post by dvgrn » September 6th, 2022, 11:11 am

Alberto Neri wrote:
September 6th, 2022, 3:02 am
My goal is make the Cosmos documentary equivalent of Conway's Game of Life. This is a love letter for the memory of John Horton Conway.
More material about Conway's Life, from more different points of view, is definitely a fine idea! The material available at the moment does get a surprising number of views when it happens to get noticed, but current coverage of the field in video form is mostly made up of gaps...!

Alan Zucconi put together a very nice 50th-anniversary video that could also be described as "[in] memory of John Horton Conway". So one item to figure out early on is, which of many directions will the new documentary strike off in, to be different from that video?

Along somewhat the same lines, Thomas Cabaret's Episode 23 and Episode 27 came out a few years ago on his "Passe-Science" channel.

HerscheltheHerschel

Post by HerscheltheHerschel » October 5th, 2023, 5:28 am

Will it be available on YouTube?
superstrings, fuses, waves, wicks, and agars are cool
30P5H2V0 IS A BAD, UNMEMORIZABLE NAME
moved to new account hth

MXMLLN

Post by MXMLLN » January 21st, 2024, 5:23 am

I'd be eager to help. I'm also looking into simple tutorials of the game of life and other ways to introduce cellular automata to a wider population.

For the documentary, I'd probably only be useful as an English speaker or to help with the narrative and storytelling.

As a documentary maker I'm sure you know that 90 minutes is the minimum to be considered a feature film. I'd suggest that target. While Netflix might stream shorter formats, features definitely have more reach, can be shown in cinemas, and are probably much more eligible for awards.

Haycat2009

Post by Haycat2009 » January 21st, 2024, 5:28 am

I would also love to help, but I am also working in Conway and Friends story mode. I could suggest topics (I did that for Conway and Friends story mode)
~ Haycat Durnak, a hard-working editor
Also, support Conway and Friends story mode!
I mean no harm to those who have tested me. But do not take this for granted.

lk050807

Post by lk050807 » January 23rd, 2024, 5:29 pm

We could use stop-motion, because CGoL... Well, you know, fits with stop-motion.
"For the snark is a boojum, you see."
The P3 guy.

Whaz this?

Please support HeartLife

HELP WANTED!
I discovered a new p101 SKOP! Its md5 hash is: b5de045f2a2f5a35160f69afd5ba9572!
Now apgsearching so, not online.

MXMLLN

Post by MXMLLN » January 23rd, 2024, 5:44 pm

Stop motion for what? The whole thing? Like claymation?
I thought documentaries are generally simpler than fiction films because they're mostly interviews.

Let's see what they come up with for the narrative first. Everything should follow from that