Rulesrc: Finding rules for a spaceship

For scripts to aid with computation or simulation in cellular automata.
LaundryPizza03
Location: Unidentified location "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas"

Re: Rulesrc: Finding rules for a spaceship

Post by LaundryPizza03 » July 31st, 2019, 9:03 pm

It would be interesting to have an option to specify a search space directly. For example, if you want to find a spaceship matching a certain pattern for a number of generations, but want to specify certain additional transitions to increase the likelihood of finding a spaceship, you could draw an extra spark whose evolution uses those transitions. But that might unintentionally narrow down other transitions you want to vary. If the transition occurs relatively early in the spark's evolution, progrulesrc is unlikely to find the rulespace with the requisite change without affecting desired transitions.

For example suppose you wanted to search the following pattern, matching 10 generations, which woks in 2^52 rules from B2eik3in4a/S2-i3nqr to B2eik3inq4aenqwz5-iry6-i7c8/S2-i3aknqr4-ij5678, but wanted to also specify S4az to increase your odds of finding a higher-period ship.

Code: Select all

x = 4, y = 3, rule = B2eik3in4a/S2-i3nqr4az
3o$3bo$b2o!
You could add this spark to your starting pattern:

x = 3, y = 5, rule = B2eik3in4a/S2-i3nqr4az
2o$2o$bo$b2o$b2o!
but doing so would also exclude S4r, which occurs in the very first generation. At this stage, progrulesrc could remove S4a and/or add B2c and produce a rulespace that is much more explosive than this one:

x = 4, y = 3, rule = B2-an3in4a/S2-i3nqr4rz
3o$3bo$b2o!
Compare:

x = 4, y = 3, rule = B2eik3in4a/S2-i3nqr4arz
3o$3bo$b2o!
(Nb: I first encountered this limitation with searchRule-matchPatt2.py in a rulespace with spaceships based on a particular replicator.)

x = 4, y = 3, rule = B3-q4z5y/S234k5j
2b2o$b2o$2o!
LaundryPizza03 at Wikipedia

wildmyron

Post by wildmyron » August 2nd, 2019, 3:44 am

LaundryPizza03 wrote:It would be interesting to have an option to specify a search space directly.
Thank you for the description of what you would like to be able to do. This comes under the TODO item "Decouple the rulespace matching from the target pattern". There are two ways I can see this being implemented:
  • Manually over-ride the entire rulespace matching process - This could be done with two parameters for the min and max rule desired. They could be specified something like this:

minrule = "B2eik3in4a/S2-i3nqr4az"
    maxrule = "B2eik3inq4aenqwz5-iry6-i7c8/S2-i3aknqr4-ij5678"
    If both these parameters are specified then the current rulespace checking is skipped and these parameters are used instead.
  • Specify additional constraints on the rulespace with manually specified lists of rule elements. Something like

B_need_extra = []
    S_need_extra = ["4a", "4z"]
    B_OK_extra = []
    S_OK_extra = []
    B_forbid_extra = []
    S_forbid_extra = []
I don't think either of these is a big change and both could be made flexible enough that they would be entirely optional. Do you have a preference for either of these options? I'll try to implement one of these over the coming weekend.

Edit: In the meantime, if you want to try out the search you mentioned with an ad-hoc change to the code, you can do so by defining two of those parameters at the top of the script:

# Rule space adjustments
B_need_extra = []
and changing this part of the code:

# Determine the rulespace to search
    B_need, S_need, B_OK, S_OK = sss.getRuleRangeElems(numgen)

to:

B_need.extend(B_need_extra)
    S_need.extend(S_need_extra)
The latest version of the 5S Project contains over 221,000 spaceships. Tabulated pages up to period 160 are available on the LifeWiki.

LaundryPizza03

Post by LaundryPizza03 » August 2nd, 2019, 10:57 pm

wildmyron wrote:
LaundryPizza03 wrote:It would be interesting to have an option to specify a search space directly.
Thank you for the description of what you would like to be able to do. This comes under the TODO item "Decouple the rulespace matching from the target pattern". There are two ways I can see this being implemented:
  • Manually over-ride the entire rulespace matching process - This could be done with two parameters for the min and max rule desired. They could be specified something like this:

minrule = "B2eik3in4a/S2-i3nqr4az"
    maxrule = "B2eik3inq4aenqwz5-iry6-i7c8/S2-i3aknqr4-ij5678"
    If both these parameters are specified then the current rulespace checking is skipped and these parameters are used instead.
  • Specify additional constraints on the rulespace with manually specified lists of rule elements. Something like

B_need_extra = []
    B_OK_extra = []
    S_OK_extra = []
    B_forbid_extra = []
    S_forbid_extra = []
I don't think either of these is a big change and both could be made flexible enough that they would be entirely optional. Do you have a preference for either of these options? I'll try to implement one of these over the coming weekend.

Edit: In the meantime, if you want to try out the search you mentioned with an ad-hoc change to the code, you can do so by defining two of those parameters at the top of the script:

# Rule space adjustments
B_need_extra = []
and changing this part of the code:

to:

B_need.extend(B_need_extra)
    S_need.extend(S_need_extra)
The entry could use a single query, in the same form used by LLS or the naïve one produced by get-all-iso-rules.py, to make it easier to check consistency. In the former case, it would be pB2eik-acn3in-acejkry4a-cijkrty5-iry6-i7-c8/S2acekn-i3nqr-ceijy4az-ij5678. Macbi has a script for doing the conversion.

2b2o$b2o$2o!

LaundryPizza03

Post by LaundryPizza03 » August 3rd, 2019, 4:10 am

This isn't exactly the right place for this, but it may be significant with regards to searchRule.matchPatt2.py. When attempting to find the rules containing a moon, B2aceikn is shortened to the nonsensical "Baceikn" instead of "B2". This happens for many rulespaces containing B2a.

2b2o$b2o$2o!

wildmyron

Post by wildmyron » August 3rd, 2019, 11:43 am

Thanks for the feedback. I think the partial rule format is a good idea - it's reasonably easy to express when writing it out manually. But i'll need to write a bit of extra code to interpret the format and update the rulespace determination code in sss.py to be able to easily determine rulespaces in that format. This will [robably take a bit longer as I don't have a lot of time to work on it at the moment.
LaundryPizza03 wrote:This isn't exactly the right place for this, but it may be significant with regards to searchRule.matchPatt2.py. When attempting to find the rules containing a moon, B2aceikn is shortened to the nonsensical "Baceikn" instead of "B2". This happens for many rulespaces containing B2a.
That's annoying, but seems to be cosmetic as far as searchRule-matchPatt2.py is concerned. It's not immediately obvious why that's happening, I'll look into it.
The latest version of the 5S Project contains over 221,000 spaceships. Tabulated pages up to period 160 are available on the LifeWiki.

wildmyron

Post by wildmyron » October 8th, 2019, 8:10 pm

From the 5S thread.
gooddogtyson wrote:
October 8th, 2019, 7:23 pm
Every time I try to run searchRule-matchPatt2.py, it says "NameError: name 'ii' is not defined"

The Wiki page is no help, so I'm hoping someone here knows how to fix this. Thanks!
Hmm, that's odd. Where did you get your copy of the script from? There may have been a version posted with a bug.

To help with debugging, can you answer these questions:

What is the line number of the error?

What starting pattern did you use for the search?

Did you change any settings in the script? And if not do you have a copy of the *.sss.txt files? (Should get a useful error message if not, but just in case)

gooddogtyson

Post by gooddogtyson » October 8th, 2019, 8:29 pm

wildmyron wrote:
October 8th, 2019, 8:10 pm
From the 5S thread.
gooddogtyson wrote:
October 8th, 2019, 7:23 pm
Every time I try to run searchRule-matchPatt2.py, it says "NameError: name 'ii' is not defined"

The Wiki page is no help, so I'm hoping someone here knows how to fix this. Thanks!
Hmm, that's odd. Where did you get your copy of the script from? There may have been a version posted with a bug.

To help with debugging, can you answer these questions:

What is the line number of the error?

What starting pattern did you use for the search?

Did you change any settings in the script? And if not do you have a copy of the *.sss.txt files? (Should get a useful error message if not, but just in case)
I tried both from the google drive and the github, neither seem to work

The line number is 300

I started with a simple "T" shape just to test the script

I gathered all of the txt files and I have not changed anything within the script. Thanks for replying

wildmyron

Post by wildmyron » October 9th, 2019, 1:19 am

gooddogtyson wrote:
October 8th, 2019, 8:29 pm
I tried both from the google drive and the github, neither seem to work
OK, that's good - you've got the latest version then. I presume you also have a copy of sss.py from the same place, otherwise there'd be a different error.
The line number is 300
Right. That error is just masking another error which must have occurred before the main loop started - which is where ii will be defined. My try .. except .. finally code is a bit dodgy, but I thought the "except Exception, e: raise" should have surfaced the error. can you change that block (at line 290) to the following:

except Exception, e:
    g.note(str(e))
    raise
Run the script again and copy the content of the Note window here. That should be a much more useful error.

Edit: Or alternatively, temporarily comment out the last line and then the original exception will be raised after the finally block completes.
[/edit]
I started with a simple "T" shape just to test the script
The rule is important too. If this was a T-pentomino in CGoL then specifying more than 3 generations to match is not going to find any spaceships (because the pattern goes symmetric).

I gave a bit of detail about the options in an earlier post https://conwaylife.com/forums/viewtopic ... 608#p79608
Please note that with the default settings it's unlikely that a random pattern in a well known rule is going to give any results from the script. This is because it is unlikely to find new results for 5S in well explored parts of the search space. To contribute to 5S you should be a bit more selective about the starting pattern and number of generations to match - in particular you probably want to use starting patterns which have quite high periods.
However the script is useful for other things too if you change the options. For example, some very high period reflectorless rotating oscillators were found using the script with "bOsc = true" and using a high loopability RRO as a starting pattern. You can see these results on the last page of the RRO thread. And it can also be used for its original purpose - to find periodic patterns with a phase matching the start pattern - if you set stabCycles = 0 and use a small number for the generations to match.