A new spaceship search approach

For scripts to aid with computation or simulation in cellular automata.
LaundryPizza03
Location: Unidentified location "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas"

Re: A new spaceship search approach

Post by LaundryPizza03 » May 23rd, 2020, 12:18 am

I got this funky error when attempting to search for a p2 photon in B2/S023.

Code: Select all

thread 'main' panicked at 'attempt to calculate the remainder with a divisor of zero', src/workspace.rs:132:36
note: run with `RUST_BACKTRACE=1` environment variable to display a backtrace
thread 'main' panicked at 'attempt to calculate the remainder with a divisor of zero', src/workspace.rs:132:36
0010/done
error: Os { code: 2, kind: NotFound, message: "No such file or directory" }

x = 4, y = 3, rule = B3-q4z5y/S234k5j
2b2o$b2o$2o!
LaundryPizza03 at Wikipedia

The latest edition of new-gliders.db.txt and oscillators.db.txt have 22470 spaceships and 998 oscillators from outer-totalistic rules. You are invited to help!

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » May 23rd, 2020, 9:04 am

LaundryPizza03 wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 12:18 am
I'm not clear on exactly what the resolution was, but there was some trouble with "speeds at or above c/2" at one point.

LaundryPizza03

Post by LaundryPizza03 » May 23rd, 2020, 2:51 pm

dvgrn wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 9:04 am
LaundryPizza03 wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 12:18 am
I'm not clear on exactly what the resolution was, but there was some trouble with "speeds at or above c/2" at one point.
What about my inability to change the seedcolumn, as explained at the bottom of the last page?

2b2o$b2o$2o!

The latest edition of new-gliders.db.txt and oscillators.db.txt have 22470 spaceships and 998 oscillators from outer-totalistic rules. You are invited to help!

mscibing

Post by mscibing » May 27th, 2020, 8:08 pm

LaundryPizza03 wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 2:51 pm
What about my inability to change the seedcolumn, as explained at the bottom of the last page?
I'm afraid I don't know what might be going wrong there.

For v=c ships the program just isn't going to work, sorry. I did put in a fix for a bug that was impacting some v > c/2 searches, but for v=c there is just no way to order the rows the way the core algorithm expects.
-- Andrew Wade

LaundryPizza03

Post by LaundryPizza03 » May 28th, 2020, 1:20 pm

mscibing wrote:
May 27th, 2020, 8:08 pm
LaundryPizza03 wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 2:51 pm
I'm afraid I don't know what might be going wrong there.
Are you at least able to reproduce the issue on your system? I am able to reproduce it on mine, which is a macOS Catalina desktop, late 2015 model. Maybe there is something wrong in the customizable search.sh.

While attempting to rectify the issue, I got this funky error while running a search, which seemingly involves an inability to create a directory. Changing max_width seems to affect it, but increasing it beyond a certain point doesn't change anything. Running a different parameter with speed c/3o and rule B2/S12 gave similar results, but c/3o in B3/S23 seems to work smoothly.

data=data4

midline=--odd_midline

margin=11

seedcolumn=06
parms="--velocity (1,0)c/2 --rule B3/S23"
flush=1000000000
threads=
max_width=100

0013/00
0013/01
0013/02
0013/03
0013/04
0013/05
0013/06
0013/07
0013/08
0013/09

2b2o$b2o$2o!

mscibing

Post by mscibing » June 1st, 2020, 10:07 pm

LaundryPizza03 wrote:
May 28th, 2020, 1:20 pm
Are you at least able to reproduce the issue on your system? I am able to reproduce it on mine, which is a macOS Catalina desktop, late 2015 model. Maybe there is something wrong in the customizable search.sh.
I gave it a try and it works for me unfortunately. seedcolumn=01 does exit almost immediately (expected), but seedcolumn=00 and seedcolumn=02 do result in different partials.
LaundryPizza03 wrote:
May 28th, 2020, 1:20 pm
While attempting to rectify the issue, I got this funky error while running a search, which seemingly involves an inability to create a directory.
It probably means the spaceship search was unsuccessful. The latest versions of search.sh produces a better message for this case. But I did also have a recent (Mar 4) fix for a bug that would impact c/2 (and also 2c/3, 3c/4, etc. for rules where they apply.)
-- Andrew Wade