Ikpx and grills

For scripts to aid with computation or simulation in cellular automata.
dvgrn

Re: Ikpx and grills

Post by dvgrn » January 30th, 2019, 11:25 pm

Moosey wrote:I feel I need a grills module. Where can I find it?
I am on mac
ikpx needs some help..png
Where did you get a copy of ikpx.py from, exactly? Presumably it should have come from here, and it should probably have ended up in a local git repository folder in company with all its friends from that metasat remote repository -- not necessarily in Golly's Scripts/Python folder. There's no "import golly" in ikpx.py, so it's not really directly a Golly-dependent Python script and shouldn't be run inside Golly... all those "print" commands aren't going to do too much in Golly where there's no console window for them to go to.

Start with the readme file in the link and see how far you can get. Big disclaimer: I haven't made my own clone of metasat or tried to get ikpx working in Cygwin (or anywhere else).

wildmyron

Post by wildmyron » January 31st, 2019, 2:11 am

dvgrn wrote:
Moosey wrote:I feel I need a grills module. Where can I find it?
I am on mac
ikpx needs some help..png
Where did you get a copy of ikpx.py from, exactly? Presumably it should have come from here, and it should probably have ended up in a local git repository folder in company with all its friends from that metasat remote repository -- not necessarily in Golly's Scripts/Python folder. There's no "import golly" in ikpx.py, so it's not really directly a Golly-dependent Python script and shouldn't be run inside Golly... all those "print" commands aren't going to do too much in Golly where there's no console window for them to go to.

Start with the readme file in the link and see how far you can get. Big disclaimer: I haven't made my own clone of metasat or tried to get ikpx working in Cygwin (or anywhere else).
In particular, on MacOS ikpx should be run from the terminal - in a similar way to what you've been doing for gfind. In addition to the metasat folder you will need to choose a separate folder for where to store search progress backup files. I would recommend a folder in the same location as the metasat folder, named ikpx for example. I suggest you create a directory for CA search software rather than using the Documents folder. Then installing and using ikpx would look something like this:

Code: Select all

cd                # To make sure you are in your home directory
mkdir casearch    # Once only, choose whatever name suits you
cd casearch
git clone https://gitlab.com/apgoucher/metasat.git        # Once only, get a copy of the metasat software (including ikpx.py)
mkdir ikpx        # Once only, to create the ikpx directory
cd metasat
python ikpx.py -d /Users/<username>/casearch/ikpx/c3o -v 'c/3o' -f p1w12k42i'(0.0.0.0.0.3)' | tee ~/casearch/ikpx/c3-ikpx.log
The first time you run ikpx it will take a little while to compile iglucose before starting the search. This search should find the turtle within about 10 seconds, and then carry on searching for c/3 asymmetric ships with a domino frontend. Look for a line starting with "Spaceship completed" to find spaceships in the output.

NOTES:
  • The "| tee ~/casearch/ikpx/c3-ikpx.log" part of the command is to save a copy of the ikpx output to a file (as well as display it on screen).
  • The initial rows parameter is generally not necessary, but it is set to i'(0.0.0.0.0.3)' for this search because the default will only find ships with a single dot in the leading row. This would mean that the turtle and all other even bilaterally symmetric ships would not be found by ikpx.
  • Setting the k parameter for this search to 42 is probably a bit high for a long running search, but it does result in finding the turtle a fair bit quicker than with the default.
  • Partial and completed spaceships are output in ikpx's interleaved row format. To convert the pattern, paste it into Golly and then run ikpx2golly.py (run in Golly, found in the metasat folder)
Edit:
1) I just updated my metasat repository and noticed that ikpx now outputs RLE patterns, so no need to use ikpx2golly.py

2) This search highlights a nice feature of ikpx - that it is able to find ships with a width larger than the search width but which are "locally narrow". The next result is this tagalong to the turtle (previously found by Tim Coe according to comments in p3w14l20.rle, from jslife-moving-objects-update-3sep2017)

x = 12, y = 20
4b2o$2obo2bob2o$2o6b2o$obo4bobo$2b2o2b2o$b2ob2ob2o$3bo2bo$bo6bo$bo6bo
2$b8o$2o6b2o2$3bo$3b2o$5bo3bo$7b4o$7bo3bo$5bo2bobo$6bo!
The 5S project (Smallest Spaceships Supporting Specific Speeds) is now maintained by AforAmpere. The latest collection is hosted on GitHub and contains well over 1,000,000 spaceships.

Semi-active here - recovering from a severe case of LWTDS.

Hunting

Post by Hunting » February 1st, 2019, 1:53 am

Does ikpx support other rules?

wildmyron

Post by wildmyron » February 1st, 2019, 3:07 am

Hunting wrote:Does ikpx support other rules?
No, it does not. From earlier in the thread:
calcyman wrote:
velcrorex wrote:Thanks. That's gotten me to other errors which have been addressed elsewhere in the thread.

I might as well ask: This looks like it's the Conway's Life rule only. To change the rule, I see in lines 98 + 99 in grills.py there's the rule specified. Is that the only line I would need to change, or are there other places?
Basically, it's currently impossible to change the rule.
The 5S project (Smallest Spaceships Supporting Specific Speeds) is now maintained by AforAmpere. The latest collection is hosted on GitHub and contains well over 1,000,000 spaceships.

Hunting

Post by Hunting » February 1st, 2019, 3:59 am

Oh. If it could be extended, will be more useful.

testitemqlstudop

Post by testitemqlstudop » February 19th, 2019, 1:23 pm

MetaSAT always crashes on the scripts/head_and_tail.sh part; after compiling march_cc, march_cc throws a segmentation fault and MetaSAT can't copy the "/tmp/cubes" and "/tmp/learnt" files.

wildmyron

Post by wildmyron » February 20th, 2019, 4:14 am

testitemqlstudop wrote:MetaSAT always crashes on the scripts/head_and_tail.sh part; after compiling march_cc, march_cc throws a segmentation fault and MetaSAT can't copy the "/tmp/cubes" and "/tmp/learnt" files.
I just ran through the instructions from the README with a SAT problem generated by LLS and there were no issues.

From where did you get the cnf file you are trying to find a solution for?

What was the output of scripts/preprocess.sh?

Did you end up with a file named simplified.cnf in the working directory? Presumably yes, otherwise march_cc would have given you an error, not segfaulted.

Does the content of simplified.cnf look reasonable? If you don't know what it should look like, you could post it here.

testitemqlstudop

Post by testitemqlstudop » February 20th, 2019, 9:40 am

simplified.cnf was about 90% of the size of lls_problem.cnf (approx. 230 MB)
I tried with smaller problems, though, and march_cc just segfaults even quicker.

What computer architecture are you on?

wildmyron

Post by wildmyron » February 20th, 2019, 11:22 am

I'm running Ubuntu under Windows Subsystem for Linux on an x86_64 system (Core i5 i think). My SAT problems were much smaller than yours though. Sorry, not at that system now, but I think the LLS command I used to generate the cnf file was "./lls -r B2ce/S0 -s p3 -b 40 20 --dry_run --save_dimacs" (latest commit on the develop branch). It took glucose-syrup about 11 minutes to prove it unsatisfiable, and about 24 minutes for the iglucose installed by metasat (both using a single thread). So it's not exactly a candidate for metasat and to be honest I tried a few different numbers for how many segments to split the problem into and it seemed that it was going to take much longer than 25 minutes to complete (I didn't let it finish). In any case, even if this isn't an ideal problem, the toolchain worked.

Edit: Could it be that march_cc is running out of memory?

testitemqlstudop

Post by testitemqlstudop » February 20th, 2019, 12:13 pm

Huh, odd. The march_cc that came with metasat compiled but after running segfaulted - without any noticeable cause.

Ah well!

googoIpIex

Post by googoIpIex » March 24th, 2019, 6:16 pm

On my current PC (not a Pi), in cygwin all I get when running ikpx is:

Leo@HAL2300 ~/metasat
$ python ikpx.py -e split -d c/8o -d /c8/1 -f p3w12a100 -l c8o.rle

Incremental Knightship Partial Extend (ikpx)

woomy on a vroomy

wildmyron

Post by wildmyron » March 24th, 2019, 11:43 pm

googoIpIex wrote:On my current PC (not a Pi), in cygwin all I get when running ikpx is:

Leo@HAL2300 ~/metasat
$ python ikpx.py -e split -d c/8o -d /c8/1 -f p3w12a100 -l c8o.rle

Ikpx does not (yet) work under Cygwin. The reason why appears to be due to "named pipes" - a method for inter-process communication. In this project they are used to send the SAT search problems and results to and fro between Python and iglucose. I have seen discussions indicating that named pipes can be used in Python under cygwin, but haven't been able to determine how to make it work. This process works seamlessly if ikpx is run under Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) - provided that the work directory for the search (which is where the files which are used for the named pipes are created) is located within the Linux filesystem. Because this works nicely and I barely use Cygwin at all for anything else I haven't tried very hard to get it to work in Cygwin.

googoIpIex

Post by googoIpIex » April 2nd, 2019, 7:19 am

ikpx is broken and only outputs:

Commencing search with the following parameters:
head search: {'a': 999999, 'd': 0.9, 'i': (0, 0, 0, 1), 'k': 100, 'j': 50, 'p': 4, 't': 600, 'w': 5}
Directory ikpx/c2o/backup created.
Backup file ikpx/c2o/backup/backup_head_location.txt not found
To quit the program, either Ctrl+C or run the command:
 kill -SIGINT -30280
head partial lengths: [1]
Increasing head search width to 6...
...adaptive widening completed.
Increasing head search width to 7...
Increasing head search width to 8...
Increasing head search width to 9...
Increasing head search width to 10...
woomy on a vroomy

calcyman

Post by calcyman » April 2nd, 2019, 7:54 am

googoIpIex wrote:ikpx is broken and only outputs:

Commencing search with the following parameters:
head search: {'a': 999999, 'd': 0.9, 'i': (0, 0, 0, 1), 'k': 100, 'j': 50, 'p': 4, 't': 600, 'w': 5}
Directory ikpx/c2o/backup created.
Backup file ikpx/c2o/backup/backup_head_location.txt not found
To quit the program, either Ctrl+C or run the command:
 kill -SIGINT -30280
Increasing head search width to 6...
Increasing head search width to 7...
Increasing head search width to 8...
Increasing head search width to 9...
Increasing head search width to 10...
What do you expect? It would take a while before it could find the thinnest c/2 orthogonal spaceship:

x = 21, y = 12, rule = B3/S23
7b3ob3o$6bo2bobo2bo$5bo3bobo3bo$5bo9bo$7bo5bo$4bobo7bobo$3b2obob2ob2ob
ob2o$2bobobo2bobo2bobobo$b2obo4bobo4bob2o$o3bob2obobob2obo3bo$4bo4bobo
4bo$2o3bo2bo3bo2bo3b2o!
What do you do with ill crystallographers? Take them to the mono-clinic!

googoIpIex

Post by googoIpIex » April 2nd, 2019, 11:18 am

Doesn’t ikpx usually print out partials?
woomy on a vroomy

googoIpIex

Post by googoIpIex » April 2nd, 2019, 3:36 pm

I checked without pipe and now I get this error:

leo@HAL2300:~/metasat$ python ikpx.py -v 4c9 -f p4kw12a1000 -e split -d ikpx/4c9

Parsing velocity...
Parameters: {'dudy': 0, 'dudx': 1, 'dvdx': 0, 'dvdy': 9, 'a': 0, 'p': 9, 'b': 4, 'dudt': 0, 'dvdt': 4}
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "ikpx.py", line 1182, in <module>
    clmain()
  File "ikpx.py", line 1166, in clmain
    psets['head'] = parse_descriptor(args.head, tsize, 'head', 6*params['dvdy'] + 12)
  File "ikpx.py", line 1034, in parse_descriptor
    d = {k : eval(v) for (k, v) in d.iteritems()}
  File "ikpx.py", line 1034, in <dictcomp>
  File "<string>", line 0

^
SyntaxError: unexpected EOF while parsing
woomy on a vroomy

wildmyron

Post by wildmyron » April 2nd, 2019, 11:28 pm

googoIpIex wrote:Doesn’t ikpx usually print out partials?
None of the partials at those widths are long enough for ikpx to output them.

Also, it's worth noting that ikpx won't find the ship calcyman mentioned above because by default it only searches for ships with one cell on the leading edge. Use the i parameter to modify this behaviour. My post above gives an example for c/3.
googoIpIex wrote:I checked without pipe and now I get this error:

leo@HAL2300:~/metasat$ python ikpx.py -v 4c9 -f p4kw12a1000 -e split -d ikpx/4c9

Parsing velocity...
Parameters: {'dudy': 0, 'dudx': 1, 'dvdx': 0, 'dvdy': 9, 'a': 0, 'p': 9, 'b': 4, 'dudt': 0, 'dvdt': 4}
  File "ikpx.py", line 1182, in <module>
    clmain()
  File "ikpx.py", line 1166, in clmain
    psets['head'] = parse_descriptor(args.head, tsize, 'head', 6*params['dvdy'] + 12)
  File "ikpx.py", line 1034, in parse_descriptor
  File "ikpx.py", line 1034, in <dictcomp>
  File "<string>", line 0

^
SyntaxError: unexpected EOF while parsing
You specified k in the list of parameters, but didn't provide a value.

Incidentally, what do you mean by "I checked without pipe"?

A few notes:
- a1000 is pointless, ikpx will never exhaust that search space so you may as well omit it (i.e. unlimited adaptive widening).
- "-e split" is the default, so no need to specify that either.
- w12 is a very wide start for this search. Even though there is no 4c/9 ship of width 11, an ikpx search at that width will still search as yet unexplored parts of the search space due to the floating rows feature.
- For the previous c/2 search, k100 seems rather high. I expect that once you get to widths where spaceships start to be found iglucose will start to get bogged down and you'll spend a lot of time waiting for your SAT problems to be solved.

googoIpIex

Post by googoIpIex » April 3rd, 2019, 7:42 am

I was piping my results to a file, which made it annoyingly hard to check if it was working, so I checked without piping it to a file.
woomy on a vroomy

wildmyron

Post by wildmyron » April 3rd, 2019, 7:56 am

Ah, in that case I suggest the "tee" command. E.g.

python metadata/ikpx.py -d ikpx/c2o -v 'c/2o' -f p4w20k40i'(0.0.0.17)' | tee ikpx/c2o-ikpx.log 
This way you get the output displayed on screen and saved to a file.

googoIpIex

Post by googoIpIex » April 3rd, 2019, 8:35 am

That should help, thanks!
woomy on a vroomy

GUYTU6J

Post by GUYTU6J » April 26th, 2019, 12:16 pm

File "D:\CA\golly-3.2-win-32bit\Scripts\Python\ikpx.py", line 1011, in <module>
    clmain()
  File "D:\CA\golly-3.2-win-32bit\Scripts\Python\ikpx.py", line 1007, in clmain
    do_everything(psets, params, directory, encoding=args.encoding, loadhead=args.loadhead)
  File "D:\CA\golly-3.2-win-32bit\Scripts\Python\ikpx.py", line 742, in do_everything
    status = runbash(os.path.join(scriptdir, 'scripts', 'iglucose.sh'), '--help')
  File "D:\CA\golly-3.2-win-32bit\Scripts\Python\grills.py", line 57, in runbash
    bash_file = os.path.join(cygdir(), 'bin', 'bash.exe')
  File "D:\CA\golly-3.2-win-32bit\Scripts\Python\grills.py", line 31, in cygdir
    if (cygwin_dir is not None) and os.path.exists(cygwin_dir):
UnboundLocalError: local variable 'cygwin_dir' referenced before assignment
What's this? I know nothing about cygwin, and my laptop is Win 10

wildmyron

Post by wildmyron » April 26th, 2019, 1:25 pm

GUYTU6J wrote:

File "D:\CA\golly-3.2-win-32bit\Scripts\Python\ikpx.py", line 1011, in <module>
    clmain()
  File "D:\CA\golly-3.2-win-32bit\Scripts\Python\ikpx.py", line 1007, in clmain
    do_everything(psets, params, directory, encoding=args.encoding, loadhead=args.loadhead)
  File "D:\CA\golly-3.2-win-32bit\Scripts\Python\ikpx.py", line 742, in do_everything
    status = runbash(os.path.join(scriptdir, 'scripts', 'iglucose.sh'), '--help')
  File "D:\CA\golly-3.2-win-32bit\Scripts\Python\grills.py", line 57, in runbash
    bash_file = os.path.join(cygdir(), 'bin', 'bash.exe')
  File "D:\CA\golly-3.2-win-32bit\Scripts\Python\grills.py", line 31, in cygdir
    if (cygwin_dir is not None) and os.path.exists(cygwin_dir):
UnboundLocalError: local variable 'cygwin_dir' referenced before assignment
What's this? I know nothing about cygwin, and my laptop is Win 10
Please state what you are trying to do - it looks like you are trying to run ikpx as a Golly script. This will not work. Ikpx is not a Golly Python script. To run it you should obtain a copy of the whole metasat repository from https://gitlab.com/apgoucher/metasat and then run ikpx.py from the command line.

Additionally, as mentioned earlier in the thread, http://conwaylife.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 873#p73873 , ikpx does not work under Cygwin.

googoIpIex

Post by googoIpIex » April 29th, 2019, 1:00 pm

How do you use GRILLS?
woomy on a vroomy

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » April 29th, 2019, 2:00 pm

googoIpIex wrote:How do you use GRILLS?
This does seem to be a topic in desperate need of a LifeWiki tutorial. For example, I'm not finding where the explanation is hiding for the extra states in the little vertical lines above each box in a Grills-rule pattern.

Are you able to get the example searches to work, by opening them in Golly and running grills.py from there? This is what those three files look like (contents stacked one on top of another, so this pattern is no longer a valid input for grills.py):

x = 93, y = 102, rule = Grills
3.H20.G8.I20.G8.J$3.F20.G8.F20.G8.F$3.F20.G8.F20.G8.F$3.K20.G29.G$24.
G29.G$24.G29.G$24.G29.G$20A4.G5.20A4.G5.20A$20A4.G5.20A4.G5.20A$2A16D
2A4.G5.2A16C2A4.G5.2A16C2A$2A16C2A4.G5.2A16C2A4.G5.2A16C2A$2A16C2A4.G
5.2A16C2A4.G5.2A16C2A$2A16C2A4.G5.2A16C2A4.G5.2A16C2A$2A16C2A4.G5.2A
16C2A4.G5.2A16C2A$20A4.G5.20A4.G5.20A$20A4.G5.20A4.G5.20A$24.G29.G$
24.G29.G$24.G29.G19$6.H20.G8.I20.G8.J$6.F20.G8.F20.G8.F$6.F20.G8.F20.
G8.F$6.K20.G29.G$27.G29.G$27.G29.G$27.G29.G$3.17A7.G5.17A7.G5.17A$3.
17A7.G5.17A7.G5.17A$3.2A13D2A7.G5.2A13C2A7.G5.2A13C2A$3.2A13C2A7.G5.
2A13C2A7.G5.2A13C2A$3.2A13C2A7.G5.2A13C2A7.G5.2A13C2A$3.2A13C2A7.G5.
2A13C2A7.G5.2A13C2A$3.2A13C2A13.2A13C2A13.2A13C2A$3.2A13C2A13.2A13C2A
13.2A13C2A$3.2A13C2A13.2A13C2A13.2A13C2A$3.17A13.17A13.17A$3.17A13.
17A13.17A17$4.H23.I23.J23.K$4.F15.G7.F15.G7.F15.G7.F15.G$4.F15.G23.G
23.G23.G$4.L15.G23.G23.G23.G$20.G23.G23.G23.G$20.G23.G23.G23.G$2.13A
5.G5.13A5.G5.13A5.G5.13A5.G$2.13A5.G5.13A5.G5.13A5.G5.13A5.G$2.2A10DA
5.G5.2A10CA5.G5.2A10CA5.G5.2A10CA5.G$2.2A10CA5.G5.2A10CA5.G5.2A10CA5.
G5.2A10CA5.G$2.2A10CA5.G5.2A10CA5.G5.2A10CA5.G5.2A10CA5.G$2.2A10CA5.G
5.2A10CA5.G5.2A10CA5.G5.2A10CA5.G$2.2A10CA5.G5.2A10CA5.G5.2A10CA5.G5.
2A10CA5.G$2.2A10CA5.G5.2A10CA5.G5.2A10CA5.G5.2A10CA5.G$2.2A10CA5.G5.
2A10CA5.G5.2A10CA5.G5.2A10CA5.G$2.2A10CA5.G5.2A10CA5.G5.2A10CA5.G5.2A
10CA5.G$2.2A10CA5.G5.2A10CA5.G5.2A10CA5.G5.2A10CA5.G$2.2A10CA5.G5.2A
10CA5.G5.2A10CA5.G5.2A10CA5.G$2.13A5.G5.13A5.G5.13A5.G5.13A5.G$2.13A
5.G5.13A5.G5.13A5.G5.13A5.G$20.G23.G23.G23.G$20.G23.G23.G23.G$20.G23.
G23.G23.G$20.G23.G23.G23.G$20.G23.G23.G23.G!
In each case, the top line of the first box is full of DISJUNCTIVE_VARIABLE_STATE (state 4), and the little vertical lines above each box have ORIGIN_STATE cells and state 9+ cells... They're pretty clearly encoding information about which generation is which, among other things (see comments in Grills.rule).

But without spending some serious time reverse-engineering the Python script, it seems pretty hard to figure out how to set up my own search correctly.

AforAmpere

Post by AforAmpere » February 14th, 2020, 8:34 pm

Does anyone know how I could go about trying to extend the small asymmetric bits of this C/8 partial with ikpx?

x = 27, y = 43, rule = B3/S23
13bo$12bobo$9b2o5b2o$8b5ob5o$11bo3bo$6b2ob2o5b2ob2o$6b2o11b2o$5bo15bo$
6b2o11b2o$5b3o11b3o$6b2o11b2o$4bo2bo11bo2bo$5b3o11b3o$5b2o13b2o$5bo15b
o$3bobo15bobo$3bo19bo$4b2o15b2o$5bobo11bobo$5b3o11b3o$5b2obo9bob2o$5bo
2bo9bo2bo$4bo2bo11bo2bo$4bo17bo$3bo2bo13bo2bo$3b2obo13bob2o$2b2o2bo13b
o2b2o$6b2o11b2o$2bobo2b2o9b2o2bobo$7b2o9b2o$4bo17bo$3b2ob2o11b2ob2o$3b
2obo13bob2o$5bo15bo$3b3o15b3o$9bo7bo$b2obo3b2o7b2o3bob2o$2obo19bob2o$b
ob3obo11bob3obo$2obo2bob2o7b2obo2bob2o$2o4bobo9bobo4b2o$3bo3b2o9b2o3bo
$5bo15bo!
Maybe those have small completions that run off to the side.
I manage the 5S project, which collects all known spaceship speeds in Isotropic Non-totalistic rules. I also wrote EPE, a tool for searching in the INT rulespace.

Things to work on:
- Find (7,1)c/8 and 9c/10 ships in non-B0 INT.
- EPE improvements.