Experimental genetic algorithm

For scripts to aid with computation or simulation in cellular automata.
ngaylinn

Experimental genetic algorithm

Post by ngaylinn » December 8th, 2022, 4:41 pm

I'm experimenting with a novel kind of genetic algorithm, and I used the Game of Life as a test bed for my first prototype. It's still only half-baked, but I hope you'll find it interesting nonetheless. I'd love to make a v2 of this project that's more powerful and produces more interesting GOL simulations. I'm no GOL expert myself, so I'm hoping I might find ideas, feedback, or assistance on this forum.

The source code and documentation for the project can be found here, and the results and analysis are here.

If you think this project has potential, there are several ways you can help:
  • Check it out for yourself! Let me know what you like or dislike. It's an open-source project, so if you wanna run it on your own machine, hack it up to try different things, or integrate it with other projects, that'd be cool and I'd love to hear about it.
  • Any ideas for new fitness goals that would be cooler / more useful for the GOL community? I welcome suggestions, and would love source code. Would you be willing to contribute? Do you know of existing software to analyze GOL simulations to spot interesting patterns? The relevant parts of v2 will be in C++.
  • Any thoughts on how to design GOL simulations to achieve some goal? I want to give my genetic algorithm the right tools and techniques for the job. It won't think like a human does, but I hope I can get inspiration from how people do it. If you'd be willing to talk about your design process, or know of good existing documentation, that would be super helpful.
  • Spread the word. I'm not sure who would find this project interesting, but maybe you know some folks?
Any other thoughts or feedback are welcome, and I'm more than happy to answer questions.