Game-of-Life-related Secret project leaked - GOL-SSRP

A forum where anything goes. Introduce yourselves to other members of the forums, discuss how your name evolves when written out in the Game of Life, or just tell us how you found it. This is the forum for "non-academic" content.
Gustavo6046

Game-of-Life-related Secret project leaked - GOL-SSRP

Post by Gustavo6046 » February 1st, 2015, 2:49 pm

Hey people! Today I were in my backyard, playing with my Morse code radio reception antenna (one of these things used by marines to recept morse code sended from ships, such as "mayday" messages encoded in Morse) and the antenna detected an unusual signal somewhen. I though I made a discovery so I immediately linked it to my notebook by USB, cropped out from the radio file the unusual signals and I discovered it was in Morse by hearing it - the "tiptap" sound made by turning radio frequency to a hearable frequency - so I put it on a Morse translator and the text I got amazingly shocked me. I knew I have made a shining discovery of confidencially secret things in MIT - also someone reported an leakage, probably the reason I got the Morse signal so the Morse code did expectingly shut down abrupt and repentinely when they "fixed it".
*yawn* What a nothing-to-do day! Let's be the only person in the world to do CGOL during boring times. :)

Gustavo6046

More discoveries?

Post by Gustavo6046 » February 1st, 2015, 2:52 pm

Analysing the text I could discover it ran on the Massachusets Institute of Technology and was called Game of Life - Spaceship Synthesis Research Program in full.
Also I think the translator just got overloaded because it only processed part of the full message so I made another parts:
Parts 2 - 3 - 4
*yawn* What a nothing-to-do day! Let's be the only person in the world to do CGOL during boring times. :)

Freywa

Re: Game-of-Life-related Secret project leaked - GOL-SSRP

Post by Freywa » February 1st, 2015, 7:40 pm

OK, somebody get the MIT hacking department to retrieve the stuff.
Princess of Science, Parcly Taxel

Code: Select all

x = 31, y = 5, rule = B2-a/S12
3bo23bo$2obo4bo13bo4bob2o$3bo4bo13bo4bo$2bo4bobo11bobo4bo$2bo25bo!

codeholic

Post by codeholic » February 2nd, 2015, 2:55 pm

Okay. Thanks for sharing. What are we supposed to do with this information?
Ivan Fomichev

Gustavo6046

Post by Gustavo6046 » February 2nd, 2015, 5:05 pm

Okay, thanks for sharing. But what are we supposed to do with this information?
I don't know. But this is amazing.
However seems like I got another short MORSE signal, this time probably the last, and maybe the translator got confused at that very last part (that might have been some blank radio waving) because it only shown O's!
Last edited by Gustavo6046 on February 2nd, 2015, 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

codeholic

Post by codeholic » February 2nd, 2015, 5:51 pm

Gustavo6046 wrote:But this is amazing.
I don't think so, given it's a childish fake.
Ivan Fomichev

Gustavo6046

Post by Gustavo6046 » February 2nd, 2015, 6:05 pm

Childish fake? Morse signals that were captured using an legitimate radiowave antenna and even had to be translated into text for you to read it without needing Morse knowledge?

Freywa

Post by Freywa » February 2nd, 2015, 7:28 pm

If they say we should be ready, then we are ready. We all have no emotions.
Princess of Science, Parcly Taxel

x = 31, y = 5, rule = B2-a/S12
3bo23bo$2obo4bo13bo4bob2o$3bo4bo13bo4bo$2bo4bobo11bobo4bo$2bo25bo!

Gustavo6046

Post by Gustavo6046 » February 2nd, 2015, 7:41 pm

I have just written an message in Morse to some crackers for-sale that I offered five thousands of dollars if they did retrieved all the info about the "secret researching".

Extrementhusiast

This is probably a fake.

Post by Extrementhusiast » February 2nd, 2015, 9:08 pm

This sounds like a fake, because how would a puzzle about something purely hypothetical lead to bad things if terrorists got hold of it? What could they do with that information? The closest thing to something bad that I could think of would be chemical synthesis, but if that were the case, why share glider synthesis information at all?

Also, if I recall correctly, use of Morse Code was discontinued in 1997.

And another thing: how many reputable news sources are reporting this? This would be big news if it were actually true.
I Like My Heisenburps! (and others)

Gustavo6046

This is probably a truth.

Post by Gustavo6046 » February 3rd, 2015, 8:40 am

Extrementhusiast wrote:This sounds like a fake, because how would a puzzle about something purely hypothetical lead to bad things if terrorists got hold of it? What could they do with that information? The closest thing to something bad that I could think of would be chemical synthesis, but if that were the case, why share glider synthesis information at all?

Also, if I recall correctly, use of Morse Code was discontinued in 1997.

And another thing: how many reputable news sources are reporting this? This would be big news if it were actually true.
I just keep it secret in the rest of the community so that it only affects the GOL community. Also, Morse Code is still used today for emergencies. Also they might have used it just because it was discontinued (so to get more effective in hiding the "morse reports"). Also themselves said they didn't knew how badly would be if terrorists took hand of, but I can think of it being secret because the "community is not ready". Say the MIT discovered the Poucher P120 in secret in 2009 if I recall correctly. Now they will discover bigger periods and -- especially -- syntheses of them. I also don't know whether or not it's fake but I think it is not.

gameoflifeboy

Post by gameoflifeboy » February 3rd, 2015, 7:01 pm

Fake or not, this is probably the weirdest thread on the forum so far in 2015.

Gustavo6046

Post by Gustavo6046 » February 3rd, 2015, 7:23 pm

The crackers I hired to retrieve the info just said it would still keep some time until they got all the info about the secret research, but already got me some few info about some dragons and a caterpillar united together with an massive tagalong that looked like a big version of the Snail or the Crab, i don't know, some hybrid. Also the synthesis of it took many 300 gliders, and the RLE files I got were as big as should be the Gemini and spartan universal computer's RLEs together. Anyways I told them "mama mia, that's already enough info for now!" and gave them some 3000 dollars instead because

Gustavo6046

Post by Gustavo6046 » February 3rd, 2015, 7:32 pm

The crackers I hired to retrieve the info just said it would still keep some time until they got all the info about the secret research, but already got me some few info about some dragons and a caterpillar united together with an massive tagalong that looked like a big version of the Snail or the Crab, i don't know, some hybrid. Also the synthesis of it took many 386 gliders, and the RLE files I got were as big as should be the Gemini and spartan universal computer's RLEs together. Anyways I told them "mama mia, that's already enough info for now!" and gave them some 3000 dollars instead because I actually didn't wish that much info. I told them to give the rest to CNN for now for an even bigger result, but without me.
Also they opened the morse system and "repaired" it btw, because some reports came like:
"OOOO. . . . Morse system is on. . . . . Leaking opened. . . . . Processing input 'IGNR LeakWarning"... . . . Interpreted as "ignore leaking". . . . Please input "true" or "false" for the interpretation. . . . "true" entered. . Leak ignored. . . . . . Executing program crackdownloader.exe... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1 RLE file exported so far, 145 MB... . . . . . . . . . . 5 days until next RLE files be downloaded. . . . . download paused . . . . . . Morse system is now hibernating . . . . . .OOOOOOOO"
As always the same problem that the Morse translator puts O where there is no morse flowing but yeah, valuable and readable info.

Kazyan

Post by Kazyan » February 3rd, 2015, 8:45 pm

Reminds me of xkcd comic #451.

If you united a dragon/caterpillar, you could not tell that from looking at it, because you'd have to zoom out so far to get the 'caterpillar' part that the 'dragon' part would be invisible. The tagalongs you mention are diagonal instead of orthogonal, look nothing like each other, and are not 'massive' compared to anything remotely on the scale of a caterpillar. You're just not going to synthesize a caterpillar component in 386 gliders; there's more than 386 gliders in the caterpillar's helix-builders. Also, a small spaceship is generally more impressive than a large one, and the most critical pieces of information about a spaceship are the speed and, to a lesser extent, the sparks--which you have left out. Other parts of the story seem fishy in general.

Now, if you had mentioned that, for example, someone found a small asymmetric 4c/11 spaceship based on this reaction:

x = 6, y = 6, rule = B3/S23
o2$b3o$bo2b2o$b2o2bo$3b3o!
...and hadn't embellished your story with refrences to terrorists, CNN, and casually handing over $3000...well, I'm usually gullible, so I might have believed you.
Tanner Jacobi
Coldlander, a novel, available in paperback and as an ebook. Now on Amazon.

calcyman

Post by calcyman » February 3rd, 2015, 9:15 pm

You're just not going to synthesize a caterpillar component in 386 gliders
It might be possible to synthesise the Caterpillar in 386 gliders. As long as we can synthesise a universal constructor in 385, the entire blueprint could be encoded in the *distance* between the final glider and the constructor (by Godel coding or otherwise).
What do you do with ill crystallographers? Take them to the mono-clinic!

Kazyan

Post by Kazyan » February 3rd, 2015, 11:55 pm

calcyman wrote:
It might be possible to synthesise the Caterpillar in 386 gliders. As long as we can synthesise a universal constructor in 385, the entire blueprint could be encoded in the *distance* between the final glider and the constructor (by Godel coding or otherwise).
A universal constructor in 385...I'm skeptical, but theoretically, I wouldn't rule it out. Good idea. That brings up a new concept: given a spartan universal constructor that can decode the distance number of an incoming glider...that's an upper limit on the gliders necessary for all possible syntheses, if the object in question can be synthesized at all. That's really something, even if it's just connecting the dots between things we already know.
Tanner Jacobi

Gustavo6046

Post by Gustavo6046 » February 4th, 2015, 2:30 pm

calcyman wrote:
Well, after another 2 days and the crackers gave me info (almost) every syntheses in the GOL-SSRP secret lab used 385 gliders to make a Formichev universal constructor, which, yes, have an tape which is based on the distance of the remaining glider. One of the synthesis, which is an Gemini breeder, takes 390 gliders as the tape on the Formichev universal constructor takes the 15 remaining gliders (because an Gemini breeder is too big, even with distance gliders), and well, it made even the synthesis of two OWSS linked with an Glider 10240 for an middle tagalong and an smaller version of two Coe ships in the middle and two LWSS in the sides to stabilize the OWSS.

Gustavo6046

Post by Gustavo6046 » February 4th, 2015, 2:38 pm

Also an dragon is ORTHOGONAL1
!

Kazyan

Post by Kazyan » February 4th, 2015, 3:02 pm

Gustavo6046 wrote:[A]nd well, it made even the synthesis of two OWSS linked with an Glider 10240 for an middle tagalong and an smaller version of two Coe ships in the middle and two LWSS in the sides to stabilize the OWSS.
Post this ship you describe, please; the RLE should be small enough from what you've mentioned.
Tanner Jacobi

Gustavo6046

Post by Gustavo6046 » February 4th, 2015, 4:01 pm

Kazyan wrote:
Gustavo6046 wrote:[A]nd well, it made even the synthesis of two OWSS linked with an Glider 10240 for an middle tagalong and an smaller version of two Coe ships in the middle and two LWSS in the sides to stabilize the OWSS.
Post this ship you describe, please; the RLE should be small enough from what you've mentioned.
Well, the RLE I got did actually selfdestructed after 9 generations, which means that should be one of the tries that failed.

Kazyan

Post by Kazyan » February 4th, 2015, 4:43 pm

Gustavo6046 wrote:Well, the RLE I got did actually selfdestructed after 9 generations, which means that should be one of the tries that failed.
Huh? The universal constructor synthesized...nothing? This isn't making any sense.
Tanner Jacobi

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » February 4th, 2015, 4:59 pm

Gustavo6046 wrote:
Kazyan wrote:Post this ship you describe, please; the RLE should be small enough from what you've mentioned.
Well, the RLE I got did actually selfdestructed after 9 generations, which means that should be one of the tries that failed.
Doesn't sound like you got your $3000 worth, then.

But of course either the 385-glider or the 390-glider synthesis would also be fairly small in either RLE or MC format -- less than 400 gliders! I've never heard of a "Formichev universal constructor", but it sounds fascinating... there's no theoretical reason why one construction would need 14 more gliders than the other; the single glider should just be enormously farther away. But no doubt the MIT folks have a reason -- I'll be very interested to see what it is.

When you post the U.C. synthesis, maybe you should leave out the location of the incoming glider(s), to protect your investment. That way nobody but you will be able to use the U.C. to construct those particular objects... not that anyone would be able to run such a pattern to completion in any case. It seems unlikely that Golly could speed up the simulation to within 10^100 of the required order of magnitude.

As soon as you post an actual working pattern along these lines, I can promise that you'll get an enormous amount of well-deserved attention from the Life community. Until then... well, I can't speak for anyone else, but I personally would really appreciate it if you'd stop trying to keep this extraordinarily obvious hoax alive, this far past its sell-by date. It has been smelling really terrible for far too long already, and it's likely to take a good while before most people trust you not to try another pointless hoax.

Gustavo6046

Post by Gustavo6046 » February 4th, 2015, 5:19 pm

dvgrn wrote:
Gustavo6046 wrote:
Kazyan wrote:Post this ship you describe, please; the RLE should be small enough from what you've mentioned.

But of course either the 385-glider or the 390-glider synthesis would also be fairly small in either RLE or MC format -- less than 400 gliders! I've never heard of a "Formichev universal constructor", but it sounds fascinating... there's no theoretical reason why one construction would need 14 more gliders than the other; the single glider should just be enormously farther away. But no doubt the MIT folks have a reason -- I'll be very interested to see what it is.

When you post the U.C. synthesis, maybe you should leave out the location of the incoming glider(s), to protect your investment. That way nobody but you will be able to use the U.C. to construct those particular objects... not that anyone would be able to run such a pattern to completion in any case. It seems unlikely that Golly could speed up the simulation to within 10^100 of the required order of magnitude.

As soon as you post an actual working pattern along these lines, I can promise that you'll get an enormous amount of well-deserved attention from the Life community. Until then... well, I can't speak for anyone else, but I personally would really appreciate it if you'd stop trying to keep this extraordinarily obvious hoax alive, this far past its sell-by date. It has been smelling really terrible for far too long already, and it's likely to take a good while before most people trust you not to try another pointless hoax.
If I ain't wrong Formichev is codeholic's surname but I don't know why using Ivan (codeholic)'s surname. Maybe a way to homenage him?

lukebradford

Post by lukebradford » February 10th, 2015, 5:39 pm

LOL!

I live in Cambridge and can confirm I overheard some sneaky-looking MIT types in lab coats in a local coffee shop discussing glider syntheses. The conversation rapidly turned to their efforts to locate the Loch Ness monster, who has apparently been broadcasting encoded messages in Esperanto. They walked out of the shop, and the last word I heard was either "Elvis" or "Elvish"... :shock:

(Hopefully I'm not feeding the troll too much here.)