Loading and View

Has something gone haywire? Let us know about it!
Elithrion

Loading and View

Post by Elithrion » February 3rd, 2009, 4:37 pm

I think I know what may be causing your patterns to "stop loading" (as listed in known issues). Well, that's how you describe it, but my guess is that it's a failure-to-centre issue, combined with the fact that it's hard to find stuff if it's too far off in the distance. Specifically, it seems that if you move the view in a direction, the next time you load something, it appears twice the distance you moved over from the place of the last thing you loaded (instead of once as it should).
e.g. if you load a glider, then move view once to the right and once up, then load another glider, the new glider appears "mirrored" across your current viewpoint. You can centre on it by moving once to the right and once up again.
Vi veri veniversum vivus vici.

Nathaniel
Site Admin

Re: Loading and View

Post by Nathaniel » February 3rd, 2009, 6:28 pm

Elithrion wrote:I think I know what may be causing your patterns to "stop loading" (as listed in known issues). Well, that's how you describe it, but my guess is that it's a failure-to-centre issue, combined with the fact that it's hard to find stuff if it's too far off in the distance. Specifically, it seems that if you move the view in a direction, the next time you load something, it appears twice the distance you moved over from the place of the last thing you loaded (instead of once as it should).
e.g. if you load a glider, then move view once to the right and once up, then load another glider, the new glider appears "mirrored" across your current viewpoint. You can centre on it by moving once to the right and once up again.
Wow, that's *very* weird and I hadn't noticed that at all. I'll try to get the auto-center and auto-zoom thing done for the next update and hope that fixes this. I've also noticed that the lack of loading problem seems to crop up if you try to press "Enter" on the load form rather than clicking on the button, so that's another potential lead towards fixing the problem.

Nathaniel
Site Admin

Post by Nathaniel » February 7th, 2009, 5:50 pm

Also, I should probably clarify what I meant by the "failure to load" issue since it's actually separate from the lack of centering thing (which is now fixed). I haven't had it happen in Firefox yet, but sometimes when using the site in Google Chrome, if I try to load a pattern (online database or local file, it doesn't matter), it won't load at all (like it won't even close that pop-up thing and take me back to the grid). Still no idea what's causing it, but let me know if it happens to you and let me know what pattern/what you did/etc.

Elithrion

Post by Elithrion » February 7th, 2009, 8:46 pm

Hmm... well, I just had that happen to me. I opened my new "Thunderbird 2" pattern (as mentioned elsewhere), possibly the first time it's been loaded. It opened fine. Then without starting it, I loaded it again. I noticed at this point that it shifted up by one cell from previous load (minor bug), so I thought I'd try loading again to see if it persisted. At this point it refused to close the box or load or anything.

That said, I have been quite unable to replicate the event, so I have no idea what triggered it. (oh, and the shifting up by one cell also only happens between first and second load and doesn't happen after that anymore)

Elithrion

Post by Elithrion » February 7th, 2009, 9:12 pm

On a related note, it doesn't seem to get zoom/view quite right on the first load. For example, there's no correct zoom to view the Catacryst on, but when it loads the first time it doesn't even try - the first load happens at the second-lowest zoom level. If you load again it fixes itself and goes to lowest zoom level, as it should.