Still Life problem

A forum where anything goes. Introduce yourselves to other members of the forums, discuss how your name evolves when written out in the Game of Life, or just tell us how you found it. This is the forum for "non-academic" content.
AforAmpere

Still Life problem

Post by AforAmpere » July 4th, 2017, 11:46 am

This is a strange challenge, and it probably can be solved by a computer program, but here it is:
For a n-cell polyplet in Life, what is the specific n-cell polyplet that takes the most cells to stabilize? This is excluding Coolout Conjecture examples. For n = 1, 2, 3, and 4, the solutions are 4, 4, 7, and 13 respectively, with the polyplet with maximal stabilization in white:

Code: Select all

x = 6, y = 25, rule = LifeHistory
CA$2A5$2A$2C4$2.2A$3.A$3C$A5$4.2A$2A3.A$A2.C$2.3C$5.A$4.2A!
Does anyone understand what I mean? I think this might be an interesting problem, but I really don't know. Feel free to ask questions.
I manage the 5S project, which collects all known spaceship speeds in Isotropic Non-totalistic rules. I also wrote EPE, a tool for searching in the INT rulespace.

Things to work on:
- Find (7,1)c/8 and 9c/10 ships in non-B0 INT.
- EPE improvements.

Rhombic

Re: Still Life problem

Post by Rhombic » July 4th, 2017, 11:49 am

Is it one of these? (probably not)
https://oeis.org/search?q=4%2C4%2C7%2C1 ... &go=Search

By the way, polyplet or polyomino?
SoL : FreeElectronics : DeadlyEnemies : 6a-ite : Rule X3VI
what is “sesame oil”?

AforAmpere

Re: Still Life problem

Post by AforAmpere » July 4th, 2017, 12:11 pm

No, that sequence is not it, it is a different thing. Use polyplets, essentially connected patterns, and only use polyplets that have no cells with 4 or more live neighbors (essentially use polyplets that can be stabilized). So exclude polyplets like this phase of the glider, where the middle cell in this phase has 4 cells around it:

x = 3, y = 3, rule = LifeHistory
.A$.2A$A.A!
However, other patterns, like the other phase of the glider, have no cells with 4 or more neighbors, and can be stabilized:

x = 6, y = 4, rule = LifeHistory
.2C.2A$C.C.2A$A.C$.2A!
I manage the 5S project, which collects all known spaceship speeds in Isotropic Non-totalistic rules. I also wrote EPE, a tool for searching in the INT rulespace.

Things to work on:
- Find (7,1)c/8 and 9c/10 ships in non-B0 INT.
- EPE improvements.