Famous Quotes

A forum where anything goes. Introduce yourselves to other members of the forums, discuss how your name evolves when written out in the Game of Life, or just tell us how you found it. This is the forum for "non-academic" content.
gmc_nxtman

Re: Famous Quotes

Post by gmc_nxtman » July 26th, 2017, 3:36 pm

gmc_nxtman wrote:I found a lizard in my computer wall on the bedroom door for the 40th day
gmc_nxtman wrote:Disclaimer: When I die, I want to be put into orbit around Earth in a flying kick position. This is my dream. DO NOT go out of your way to harass, bully, or “witchhunt” anyone I mentioned in this video.
gmc_nxtman wrote:We are six.
And help us.
And subscribe.
gmc_nxtman wrote:Hey, vsauce, Michelle here. Where are your hands? The word "hand" comes from the Greek-Latin-Somalian root "han", which means to rapidly approach one's destination in a hurry. We are all in a hurry. What if there is no government? We are all in a hurry because nothing matters, and yet everything matters. Thanks for watching ,and remember: We are all in a hurry.
gmc_nxtman wrote:Waterfalls of marble melt upon the urge of a greater power

drc

Post by drc » July 26th, 2017, 3:42 pm

Thomas Ridgewell wrote:THE GOVERNMENT IS BEES
drc (not on this forum) wrote:THE GOVERNMENT IS BEES

83bismuth38

Post by 83bismuth38 » August 18th, 2017, 2:30 pm

gmc_nxtman wrote:
gmc_nxtman wrote:Waterfalls of marble melt upon the urge of a greater power
seeking conformation from a platinum sky?
looking to support hive five (n+18) and charity's oboo reaction (2n+18)

Code: Select all

x = 28, y = 13, rule = B3/S23
19bo$3bo15bo4b2o$2bobo14bo4bobo$2bobo20b2o$3bo11b3o2$25b3o$b2o22b3o$o
2bo$b2o12b2o$10b2o2bobo$bo8b2o2b2o$obo7b2o!

83bismuth38

Post by 83bismuth38 » August 18th, 2017, 4:58 pm

A for awesome wrote:['wiki]['code]Let's see what happens.[/code'][/wiki']
minus the apostrophes of course, but why would you want that mess happening again...
google translate quotes:
no football of any dui mauris said that
Maecenas sometimes present lowest layer of warm air, peanut offset the pain was blessed.
But lorem Wise, who diameter of the lowest gateway football.
The mourning of the great ecological sterilized graduated salad running at the airline.
source:
Pain is stress. Carrots salad basketball vehicles. That smile is no football, photography entrepreneurs who set nibh. The pain and the Maecenas vehicles pull pot. But lorem Wise, who diameter of the lowest gateway football. Pot life, and now. Reserved undertakes no carrots, Minneapolis, from real estate. Lorem ipsum carrots, lean, nutrition football, no football of any dui mauris said that, no real estate financing was greater than in the time to come, financing mass of life. Tells Maecenas, but tell law enforcement simmer convenience, there is some fear convenience television laborious to-morrow, to-morrow, no homework a lion. Maecenas sometimes present lowest layer of warm air, peanut offset the pain was blessed. Bananas and carrots, and Hon drop, free to live at my convenience propagated either. But it is a soft, chemical materials, but also makeup. Lorem ipsum carrots, enhanced undergraduate developer, but the time and vitality, so that the labor and sorrow, some important things to do as follows. The mourning of the great ecological sterilized graduated salad running at the airline. Planning now only living environment region funny. The gate of the lorem performance until soft. Consumer wants it until leakage. Lorem ipsum carrots, enhanced undergraduate developer, but the time and vitality, so that the labor and sorrow, some important things to do as follows. No hatred in order to salads football alcohol. Him with the jaws of life ullamcorper bananas and carrots. However, the court players the relay and the sort of life. There is a warm-up tomorrow hardware. Lorem ipsum carrots, but invest the money, and that he will; Lorem largest television financing it, advertising is that it, the bed not be paid for. Of more of, such as basketball. Lorem stress or just football, football has always salad, therefore, may be complicated. Warm-clinical, clinical and sapien homework, until he, himself, alone, occasionally to have some competition, but football that causes no pain. Lorem ipsum carrots or textbooks, chili members of the foot. But they need largest chat but smile, to adorn, to live there is a great fear and chat Clinical, but football is not, and neither shall the quiver-free. Consumer's largest regional born sapien the soft tomorrow, but they need to, the Bureau photography, but there is no room for pleasure. No pain, no pot, who now need freedom. Netus pot at parenting responsible airline sterilized carrots, athletics championship soccer is now on the release, he would not. The life of the mouse, textile manufacturing graduated invest football Vestibulum ullamcorper some carrots, bananas need mass television classrooms. A photography weekend kids the porch, and who has, so he loves our lorem Reserved be no ferment, nor the mass, and he wishes to live, but for life, and sometimes the players sterilized now and then, a lot, until he Financing developer put in. Foot, the foot does not need protein, grief and hate boat, but 1 fear that kids care employee, here Monday members of the element to complete clinical and consumer CNN. And let there be at the price, grab volleyball homework that the daughter of pleasure, there is no homework least the act of running smart asset. Clinical life, my dear orange asset, and the porch of the technology is not an element to be in time to come, each carton lowest chili film financing, lorem need jar there, but 1 have not. Lorem ipsum carrots, dozens of Products developers it and did not think, and a great crashing from the DIAM homework, with the players than the pain triplet of some soft, it is with the foot, or any nibh fermentation. Morrow, and that the layer, layer a large television ullamcorper The Zen of life. But there is always homework largest undergraduate peanut disease that adorn the throat, hunger now live but do not need a lot of players and a lot throat. And gas. Android and hydrogen will mass diameter. Bananas manufacturing environment, chili salad football as fun. The marketing need, even the very optimistic, but there is a twist. Lorem sapien vehicles in order to quiver film layer hate Bureau. Simmer, soccer graduated. But the convenience of mass nutrition laptop microwave on web pages, but this hydrogen. Lorem ipsum carrots, foot massage times the price of the television sorrow, pain-free child-free are selected passengers. But who lion in diameter, very present in the makeup quiver in diameter that homework, kids need to skirt free pot. That, than Maecenas ultricies Fusion, hydrogen voice, 'Who are our own. Currently, to my sorrow, please carton land vehicles present, chili just need to exercise various diseases as well as the lion, but it nibh. This was not possible the porch is the Laoreet wants peanut or none at all.’ And stress-free. Maecenas lorem film by the great doctrine is pure, Clinical Nutrition, until the present Integer Maecenas, long However Owner innovative outdoor photography film, jasmine until he could be a developer chat group. Quiver offset the television soccer, football game. No, and the opening of said carton jasmine film, running football financing the United States, who graduated photography and a nutrition drink. Please ugly Valley, a aptent environment, in order for me sometimes, kids live. Lorem very carrots, foot volleyball until the sauce airline facilisi, thermal and insulation, but rose quiver real estate photography makeup free bookmark. Even ullamcorper makeup we need drink, no outdoor mass at the quiver care cured, but the temperature of laughter at that Vulputate football Biochemical region need not fear beating convenience, diving pool at the element graduated drinks Hale. Layer chat now takes Bureau simmer propagation throat and ecological push lorem dui now, not some dark simmer each film, nutrition, asthma skirt what is now the mainstream. Pain is a layer of soccer kids pool employee in time to come, as well as larger than the present most of all, until the life, the life of the righteous, so that none of the members of my bow, this salad was not a lot of propaganda. And not, not to live and not gas in the competition, the mouse in time to come, just planning various football notebook there is life for the mouse. Just be pregnant at the porch, thermal film, enhanced dui always be precisely that by to-morrow, and the largest deductible as temperature or nutrition, convenience and a great outdoor pool Vulputate. Antioxidants, nor fear of the pillow is a large protein dui region but provides them either now or trigger clinical research. He was hated by the United States with some rice, peanut largest nutrition is just great football ultricies important to stress excepteur. Let there be a lion, nor the earth, hydrogen largest blockage, no largest free, hydrogen undergraduate sapien, but the masses of this is the gate of the court of warm-up, and even official or orange outdoor temperature Laoreet, very easy the Clinical front of the court. Lorem ipsum carrots, bananas and members of the football largest peanut, peanut or sterilized at the bed and antioxidants, which is free to basketball, but also worth it wants to chat with other members of the textile free nutrition until the author does not smile. And from the carton But the television running, or had not known how long-But until now, the fear of the fear of my son, until the very present, but that the dui salad quiver of manufacturing zero.
looking to support hive five (n+18) and charity's oboo reaction (2n+18)

x = 28, y = 13, rule = B3/S23
19bo$3bo15bo4b2o$2bobo14bo4bobo$2bobo20b2o$3bo11b3o2$25b3o$b2o22b3o$o
2bo$b2o12b2o$10b2o2bobo$bo8b2o2b2o$obo7b2o!

M. I. Wright

Post by M. I. Wright » October 21st, 2017, 9:44 pm

Well, I'm not really sure what happened to this thread starting on page 2, but I've just found this beautiful teardown and I figure it deserves to be memorialized somehow:
calcyman wrote:wwei23, you've started to irritate many users on this forum, with a combination of needlessly promoting your '1x256X2+1' results over various threads, multiple-posting, and pointless necroposting. Despite several people requesting, with varying levels of politeness, that you cease this behaviour, you persisted unabated.

I gritted my teeth and tolerated this, for a short while, but then decided you went too far after posting swastika* RLEs on two distinct threads in the Sandbox. After all, this could give seriously wrong signals about the nature of the GoL community. Assuming your chronological age is comparable to your mental age, I understand that the connotations of that symbol refer to events many multiples of your lifetime in the past -- however, several users of this forum have lived through the period in question, and could plausibly have traumatic memories of these incidents. Even more worryingly, recent events in Charlottesville, USA, have shown this ideology to not be confined to the history books.

* Yes, I realise that the symbol (either in the same or reversed orientation) far predated the period in question, having semiotic significance in both Hinduism and Judaism since antiquity. However, your entitling of the post as "thread for your scary discoveries" demonstrates that you were not using it as an ancient mystical symbol (which would have been acceptable) but instead referring to its 20th-century corruption.

If it were my choice, I would ban you from these forums for a month. Fortunately for you, I don't have that instrumental power, so I've instead decided to increase the minimum haul threshold on 1x256X2+1 to 20 million.

I suggest apologising sincerely to the populace of this forum for any offence you may have caused, lest I may increase this threshold even further or ban you from Catagolue completely.
I also nominate this post introducing the "methusynthesis":
Gustavo6046 wrote:Notable bout it? Well it is the first of a chain of discoveries of "Methusynthesae, (singular Methusynthesis) that are patterns/methuselah that basically/mildly are spaceship reactions, though it is a bit hard to explain the relation. It is way different from syntheses because they are patterns, and don't form other patterns." - definition in the Rehermann dictionary - GOL section.

Saka

Post by Saka » October 21st, 2017, 10:37 pm

Codeholic wrote:Pardon my French, but what the fuck is aquarium, that you keep on creating an article about? Codeholic (talk) 00:24, 1 January 2015 (UTC)

Saka

Post by Saka » October 23rd, 2017, 9:12 am

[quote="wwei, "Something rare I saw""]This morning, when I was playing Conway`s Multiplayer Game of Life, I saw a natural LWSS AND this pattern:

x = 7, y = 5, rule = LifeHistory
3.A$2.A.A$2.A.A$A.A.A.A$2A3.2A!
-wwei23 12:08PM 11/22/2015 NY time[/quote]

Goldtiger997

Post by Goldtiger997 » November 3rd, 2017, 5:28 am

Some quotes I found interesting/funny/motivational.

From here
dvgrn wrote:Holy tandem gliders, Kazyan!
About the expression "Golly"
Andrew wrote:These days it's mostly used as an expression of surprise, such as on first seeing HashLife in action. :)
Here:
Kazyan wrote:Sometimes it's just a matter of knowing where to look, isn't it?
And here:
dvgrn wrote:
calcyman wrote:
Alexey_Nigin wrote:The first 39-bitter has just appeared
Ooh, this means we now have a contiguous interval of attained still-life bit counts, namely {4, 5, 6, ..., 40, 41, 42}. As a straightforward corollary of this, I win an (empty) bet against Dave Greene.
I'll send you the required number of golden sovereigns immediately, then, flown individually across the Atlantic by the required number of Quetzalcoatluses.
About Cthulhu
dvgrn wrote:It's all because I kept forgetting to feed the shoggoth, no doubt.
In general, it fits right in with my revised conjecture that new bit counts will appear whenever they darn well feel like it.
mniemiec wrote:...or even large absurdities like push-me-Cthulhus.
I plead insanity. A wasted mind is a terrible thing.

Saka

Post by Saka » November 3rd, 2017, 7:07 am

Wow dvgrn is actually hilarious. Time to dig into his posts and maybe a few old-timers.

Majestas32

Post by Majestas32 » November 24th, 2017, 2:37 pm

guywholikesspace wrote:I was messing around in golly and found something that looked like a smaller version of pond. Correct me if i'm wrong, but I don't think it's on the still life wiki page. (http://conwaylife.com/wiki/Category:Still_lifes)
dvrgn wrote:
toroidalet wrote:
Saka wrote:dvrgn has almost 8% of ALL of the board's posts
How did you figure this out? Also, what's my percentage?
Just click on your name and check your profile. Your number right now is 1.27%.

However, Saka's original statistic is badly off. As you can see by clicking on "dvrgn", this is my first post...
Searching:
b2-a5k6n7cs12-i3ij4k5j8
b2-a3c7cs12-i

Currently looking for help searching these rules.

Rhombic

Post by Rhombic » January 1st, 2018, 6:28 pm

This has to be one of the best posts on these forums: viewtopic.php?p=14050#p21265
SoL : FreeElectronics : DeadlyEnemies : 6a-ite : Rule X3VI
what is “sesame oil”?

dani

Post by dani » January 1st, 2018, 6:52 pm

That has already been posted by the man of calcy:
calcyman wrote:My all-time favourite is the following:
Gustavo wrote:Seriously, you are Michael Simkin! I kept Michael Simkin in my ignore list! :shock: REMOVING NOW FROM IGNORE LIST

Oh wait, we are still rivals. I will also do a c/3 spaceship gun, other than dart, but this time the credits will be mine. And moreover, if it is to be a dart, my gun will be smaller and run at lower period! Unfortunately that means p30 with Gosper glider guns, but will hold a record!

When we get famous and scoreboards show 'Rehermann vs. Simkin' I will never admit it, but ONLY now I used your gun to make a p360 oscillator:
But yes, it is a very wondrous quote.

My favourite quotes are still GOL:SSRP stuff and unname66609.

AforAmpere

Post by AforAmpere » January 2nd, 2018, 2:02 pm

Gustavo wrote:WHY ALWAYS 2 GLIDERS TO AWESOME?
Gustavo wrote:
simsim314 wrote:IS IT SO HARD TO PLACE A GLIDER IN 10 PLACES AND CHECK OUT THE RESULT?
Yes it is, I never get what I expect, and trivially I don't have much time (I can only use Golly since Python is way far of reach) and true research come to be almost impossible...
Gustavo's thread is one of the best.
I manage the 5S project, which collects all known spaceship speeds in Isotropic Non-totalistic rules. I also wrote EPE, a tool for searching in the INT rulespace.

Things to work on:
- Find (7,1)c/8 and 9c/10 ships in non-B0 INT.
- EPE improvements.

Majestas32

Post by Majestas32 » January 2nd, 2018, 2:10 pm

RIP Gustavo
Searching:
b2-a5k6n7cs12-i3ij4k5j8
b2-a3c7cs12-i

Majestas32

Post by Majestas32 » January 7th, 2018, 11:03 pm

danny wrote:I think you guys will really like this rule. There's not one, not two, but THREE elementary guns:
Searching:
b2-a5k6n7cs12-i3ij4k5j8
b2-a3c7cs12-i

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » January 17th, 2018, 4:51 pm

Just happened upon a description of the state of the art in spaceship construction in October 2010 -- including a fortune-telling final paragraph.
In 2010, Paul Tooke wrote:18booster wrote:
Is it known how to synthesize a c/5 spider from gliders (and possibly other tools such as blocks and blinkers)?
No.

The only spaceships in Life which have constructions are the standard spaceships (i.e the glider, LWSS, MWSS & HWSS, but then you knew that), some Corderships and a 2c/5 spaceship discovered by Tim Coe which proved tractable because its central components could be produced by perturbing constructible still lifes. (EDIT: and of course Gemini, but that really is a special case).

David Buckingham, an incomparable glider synthesis expert, has described spaceships which, like the Spider, can be found by search programs but don't occur naturally, as "spacedust". By this he meant: inconstructible. The task of constructing such a spaceship has been likened to building a Formula-1 race car whilst it's on the track and travelling at 200mph. I'm paraphrasing, because I can't remember the exact quote or who wrote this but I'm sure that you get my drift.

That said, all(!) that it takes to turn my "no"into a "yes" is for some enterprising individual who either won't take no for an answer or who appreciates the difference between "it hasn't happened" and "it can't happen" to take a strong interest in making it happen.
That said, spiders still don't have a glider synthesis. It doesn't look as impossible as it used to -- the phase with a pair of too-close blinkers is relatively stable, so maybe a series of fuses could be built leading in to a big ugly still life or constellation to get a spider started. But it does look a good bit more expensive than anything that has been tried so far (unless you count the self-constructing spaceships).

There's some more fortune-telling here, but it didn't turn out quite as predicted -- the c/3 dart sneaked in ahead of the 2c/7 weekender by a few months.

Majestas32

Post by Majestas32 » January 21st, 2018, 11:53 am

danny wrote:8 is not a number.
Searching:
b2-a5k6n7cs12-i3ij4k5j8
b2-a3c7cs12-i

Majestas32

Post by Majestas32 » February 11th, 2018, 11:46 am

TDiff, on Discord, wrote:there are like multiple search programs
Searching:
b2-a5k6n7cs12-i3ij4k5j8
b2-a3c7cs12-i

Rhombic

Post by Rhombic » February 13th, 2018, 2:18 pm

I'll quote an ex foro post on ScienceMadness:
aga wrote:Hints and Tips:-

Drink Less booze than aga to Achieve everything you Desire.

Drink More if all you want is spontaneous combustion.
SoL : FreeElectronics : DeadlyEnemies : 6a-ite : Rule X3VI
what is “sesame oil”?

Saka

Post by Saka » February 28th, 2018, 6:01 am

dvgrn, in a stream of LifeWiki edit notes wrote:Would you rather wish on a snippet,
Carry moonbeams home in a tippet,
And be better off than a whippet,
Or would you rather be a toad?
A toad is an animal that sits in the zoo,
And croaks with a period of two,
Spends all its time in the same darn place,
And has a kind of funny-looking face,
But if you write a lot of LifeWiki snippets,
And never take so much as a grocery trip it's,
Likely you'll grow up to be a toad,
If you don't leave your chair and get out on the road,
You might grow up to be a toad.

Cclee

Post by Cclee » February 28th, 2018, 10:28 am

Saka wrote:
dvgrn, in a stream of LifeWiki edit notes wrote:Would you rather wish on a snippet,
Carry moonbeams home in a tippet,
And be better off than a whippet,
Or would you rather be a toad?
A toad is an animal that sits in the zoo,
And croaks with a period of two,
Spends all its time in the same darn place,
And has a kind of funny-looking face,
But if you write a lot of LifeWiki snippets,
And never take so much as a grocery trip it's,
Likely you'll grow up to be a toad,
If you don't leave your chair and get out on the road,
You might grow up to be a toad.
Gotta make this our anthem
Amazing idea right
^
What ever up there likely useless

fluffykitty

Post by fluffykitty » March 9th, 2018, 12:54 am

Am I a toad D:

Apple Bottom

Post by Apple Bottom » March 9th, 2018, 11:57 am

Gamedziner, in response to a partial p6 knightship by Josh Ball:
Gamedziner wrote:Now that looks promising!
Indeed. :)

dani

Post by dani » March 9th, 2018, 1:13 pm

Gamedziner must be a traitor working for the GOLSSRP project. Ban him at once! *crowd of angry warriors behind me cheers*

Gamedziner

Post by Gamedziner » March 9th, 2018, 6:58 pm

Apple Bottom wrote:Gamedziner, in response to a partial p6 knightship by Josh Ball:
Gamedziner wrote:Now that looks promising!
Indeed. :)
Wow, I didn't even realize I'd predicted part of the knightship!

x = 81, y = 96, rule = LifeHistory
58.2A$58.2A3$59.2A17.2A$59.2A17.2A3$79.2A$79.2A2$57.A$56.A$56.3A4$27.
A$27.A.A$27.2A21$3.2A$3.2A2.2A$7.2A18$7.2A$7.2A2.2A$11.2A11$2A$2A2.2A
$4.2A18$4.2A$4.2A2.2A$8.2A!