Suggested LifeWiki edits

For discussion directly related to LifeWiki.
Apple Bottom

Suggested LifeWiki edits

Post by Apple Bottom » August 15th, 2017, 5:41 am

Since edits on the wiki are still limited to accounts with the "trusted" flag, and since there's often some delay between new editors' request for the flag and it being granted, I thought it might be good to have a thread where people can suggest edits to the wiki, so that someone who's already able to edit the wiki can do them.

So, here it is!
  • If you have any edits you'd like to see made, post 'em below. Please identify the page, and tell us exactly what you'd like changed.
  • If you are able to edit the wiki and want to help out by implementing these edits: GOOD! Please take the usual care when editing, and don't feel compelled to make edits if you're not comfortable doing so.
Post your edit suggestions below!
If you speak, your speech must be better than your silence would have been. — Arabian proverb

Catagolue: Apple Bottom • Life Wiki: Apple Bottom • Twitter: @_AppleBottom_

Proud member of the Pattern Raiders!

Saka

Re: Suggested LifeWiki edits

Post by Saka » August 15th, 2017, 7:09 am

Should credits be given? If so, how?

Apple Bottom

Post by Apple Bottom » August 15th, 2017, 7:12 am

Saka wrote:Should credits be given? If so, how?
I'd just put a link to the post in which the edit was suggested in the edit summary, myself. Something like this:

"Add volatility - suggested by Apple Bottom, http ://conwaylife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=48851#p48851".
If you speak, your speech must be better than your silence would have been. — Arabian proverb

AforAmpere

Post by AforAmpere » August 15th, 2017, 12:44 pm

Should pattern min and max rules be updated to Non-totalistic rules? It would show a better scope of the rulespace that it covers in my opinion.
I manage the 5S project, which collects all known spaceship speeds in Isotropic Non-totalistic rules. I also wrote EPE, a tool for searching in the INT rulespace.

Things to work on:
- Find (7,1)c/8 and 9c/10 ships in non-B0 INT.
- EPE improvements.

Apple Bottom

Post by Apple Bottom » August 15th, 2017, 4:20 pm

AforAmpere wrote:Should pattern min and max rules be updated to Non-totalistic rules? It would show a better scope of the rulespace that it covers in my opinion.
This would break the "number of rules" calculation as it's currently done, at the very least. Perhaps we could keep totalistic and non-totalistic rules separate in the infoboxes, or integrate the min/max non-totalistic rules a pattern will work in into the article text instead.

M. I. Wright

Post by M. I. Wright » August 21st, 2017, 7:14 pm

Hi! Can the last paragraph of One cell thick pattern#Spaceships_and_oscillators be updated to reflect the existence of toroidalet's discovery from last year? (And perhaps mine+Wojowu's, if deemed notable enough)

EDIT: brilliant, thank you :)
Last edited by M. I. Wright on August 22nd, 2017, 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Apple Bottom

Post by Apple Bottom » August 22nd, 2017, 6:10 am

M. I. Wright wrote:Hi! Can the last paragraph of One cell thick pattern#Spaceships_and_oscillators be updated to reflect the existence of toroidalet's discovery from last year? (And perhaps mine+Wojowu's, if deemed notable enough)
Excellent additions, both of them. Thanks!

muzik

Post by muzik » August 23rd, 2017, 1:23 pm

Can a catagolue link to the spaceship on Gems be added to its picture?

Also, can a link to the rule with the c/2068 spaceship be provided, in case I ever get around to making a page on said rule?
Last edited by muzik on August 23rd, 2017, 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Apple Bottom

Post by Apple Bottom » August 23rd, 2017, 1:48 pm

muzik wrote:Can a catagolue link to the spaceship on Gems be added to its picture?
Done.
Also, can a link to the c/2068 spaceship be provided, in case I ever get around to making a page on said rule?
Which one is that?

muzik

Post by muzik » August 23rd, 2017, 1:51 pm

Apple Bottom wrote:
muzik wrote:
Also, can a link to the c/2068 spaceship be provided, in case I ever get around to making a page on said rule?
Which one is that?
This .

Apple Bottom

Post by Apple Bottom » August 23rd, 2017, 1:54 pm

muzik wrote:This .
Here you go, that's xq2068_k4rjvvk4z21bedb.

muzik

Post by muzik » August 23rd, 2017, 4:17 pm

Isn't there a script that can generate the apgcode for a pattern?

Also, can the amount of did you know items on the main page be updated?

Apple Bottom

Post by Apple Bottom » August 23rd, 2017, 4:36 pm

muzik wrote:Isn't there a script that can generate the apgcode for a pattern?
Yes, there is. This is what I'm using.
Also, can the amount of did you know items on the main page be updated?
It could...

But that sort of discussion is more appropriate for the Tiki bar.

Naszvadi

Post by Naszvadi » December 9th, 2017, 4:19 pm

In mathematics, simplified or novel proofs usually count as new discoveries. For example, emulating Turing-complete structures via filling a CA with a periodic oscillating pattern (, which tiling is altered on a finite part only to not become fully periodic - ) yields that the automaton itself is logically universal. So such emulations (like embedding Rule-110 (or referred as W110) as I did many times) has this corollary. In some well-known outer-totalistic life-like CA, at least for some promoted ones, I'd be glad if the patterns or deeplinks could be inserted into Unit cell article. The same applies to patterns included with Golly

Topics: The last is somehow a cuckoo-egg, it is a CGoL-pattern, but also fully compatible with 3 other outer-totalistic rules. And it is Glider-less, and just like the alien rules' W110 emulations, contains only a very small number of component types and reactions.

Rhombic

Post by Rhombic » December 22nd, 2017, 5:42 am

I'd like to know how to determine whether a rule would deserve its own page. There are some odd rules that went terribly "out of fashion" with their own pages (like Goat Flock, for instance). They tend not to be miraculously different rules from, say, Movostill 3, for which many interesting turners and conduits have already been developed.

So here is my question: does a rule like* Movostill 3 deserve its own page as of now?

* Guns, conduits, sufficient unique behaviour and/or well-explored complexity, shows unequivocal potential for future discoveries either for conduit-construction (UC) or for other reasons.
SoL : FreeElectronics : DeadlyEnemies : 6a-ite : Rule X3VI
what is “sesame oil”?

Apple Bottom

Post by Apple Bottom » December 22nd, 2017, 11:00 am

Rhombic wrote:I'd like to know how to determine whether a rule would deserve its own page. There are some odd rules that went terribly "out of fashion" with their own pages (like Goat Flock, for instance). They tend not to be miraculously different rules from, say, Movostill 3, for which many interesting turners and conduits have already been developed.

So here is my question: does a rule like* Movostill 3 deserve its own page as of now?

* Guns, conduits, sufficient unique behaviour and/or well-explored complexity, shows unequivocal potential for future discoveries either for conduit-construction (UC) or for other reasons.
My gut feeling is that a rule has attracted a nominal level of interest and investigation in the Life/CA community, it can get a page of its own. Of course the main focus of the LifeWiki is Conway Life -- but a single page for different rules that sums up the most important results, lists the most important patterns etc. should be fine.

Just my 2 bits, of course.

LaundryPizza03
Location: Unidentified location "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas"

Post by LaundryPizza03 » December 25th, 2017, 9:23 am

On the page List of rules investigated on Catagolue/Isotropic non-totalistic, "B3/S2ae3aeijr4-cknqy" is known as Niemiec's Rule 0. There are 7 other variants, but at least some of them are explosive.

Code: Select all

x = 4, y = 3, rule = B3-q4z5y/S234k5j
2b2o$b2o$2o!
LaundryPizza03 at Wikipedia

Apple Bottom

Post by Apple Bottom » December 25th, 2017, 10:53 am

LaundryPizza03 wrote:On the page List of rules investigated on Catagolue/Isotropic non-totalistic, "B3/S2ae3aeijr4-cknqy" is known as Niemiec's Rule 0. There are 7 other variants, but at least some of them are explosive.
Thanks. I've made a note in my data files, so it'll be named next time those tables are updated. If you can see any other rules missing their proper names, please let me know.

dani

Post by dani » December 25th, 2017, 1:06 pm

B2e3aceij5-ijr/S23-a4 should be named Movostill 3 , I think.

Also can I be trusted? My username on the wiki is danny
EDIT: Also, B3/S234w is not alife, but B3/S234iw is. There appears to be two rules named the same thing, but the latter is correct.

Apple Bottom

Post by Apple Bottom » December 25th, 2017, 7:15 pm

danny wrote:B2e3aceij5-ijr/S23-a4 should be named Movostill 3 , I think.
Thanks, noted.
Also can I be trusted? My username on the wiki is danny
Of course. Consider it done!
EDIT: Also, B3/S234w is not alife, but B3/S234iw is. There appears to be two rules named the same thing, but the latter is correct.
Interesting. Yeah, you're right, there's two. I unfortunately don't track where I got the names from, but I'll just remove the former for now.

praosylen

Post by praosylen » December 25th, 2017, 10:31 pm

Apple Bottom wrote:
Interesting. Yeah, you're right, there's two. I unfortunately don't track where I got the names from, but I'll just remove the former for now.
Here's the post introducing alife.

Also, for posterity's sake, it appears that LifeViewer makes the same aliasing mistake and it's running the patterns as B3/S234w instead of B3/S234iw.
former username: A for Awesome
praosylen#5847 (Discord)

The only decision I made was made
of flowers, to jump universes to one of springtime in
a land of former winter, where no invisible walls stood,
or could stand for more than a few hours at most...

Majestas32

Post by Majestas32 » December 25th, 2017, 10:33 pm

Code: Select all

x = 7, y = 3, rule = alife
obobo$3ob2o$5b2o!
It seems that rowett made a mistake and the "alife" rule in LifeViewer is actually B3/S234w and not B3/S234iw.

EDIT: Wait seriously ninja'd by 2 minutes?
Searching:
b2-a5k6n7cs12-i3ij4k5j8
b2-a3c7cs12-i

Currently looking for help searching these rules.

rowett

Post by rowett » December 26th, 2017, 12:36 am

Majestas32 wrote:... the "alife" rule in LifeViewer is actually B3/S234w and not B3/S234iw.
Thanks both for reporting. This is fixed and will be in the next released build.

muzik

Post by muzik » January 10th, 2018, 5:37 pm

Should we have a page for every single still life under 14 or 17 cells?

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » January 10th, 2018, 6:10 pm

muzik wrote:Should we have a page for every single still life under 14 or 17 cells?
To me that seems like an awful lot of clutter in the Still Life category, for the "under 17 cells" option especially. Wouldn't that be something over 5,000 new articles?

But it would be kind of nice to have some kind of a "home page" for each still life, even if most of them won't get used or visited much (or at all). Maybe the Catagolue page for each <17-bit still life would make a good standard go-to location.

Would it make sense to put a Python utility script in the next version of Golly, that opens the appropriate Catagolue page based on the current selection? Nowadays that would give us pretty direct access to a glider synthesis for the selected still life, even if it won't always be quite up to date.