LifeWiki Trusted Account Request Thread - Post requests here

For discussion directly related to LifeWiki.
jimeh87

Re: Massive spam attacks on the wiki (and forums?)

Post by jimeh87 » January 22nd, 2019, 9:06 pm

Can I get trusted status on the wiki? User Jimeh87

I created a browser based life simulator / "catalog browser" and I want to add it as a link.

https://gameoflife.xyz

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » January 23rd, 2019, 6:33 pm

jimeh87 wrote:Can I get trusted status on the wiki? User Jimeh87

I created a browser based life simulator / "catalog browser" and I want to add it as a link.

https://gameoflife.xyz
Done, sorry for the delay.

I wasn't quite sure how to handle this, since there's a general rule against people advertising their own inventions on LifeWiki. This is just to keep over-excitable people from energetically documenting their own inventions, either patterns or software, faster than anyone can double-check them to see if they're really worth documenting or not. Without this rule, it would eventually be difficult to find any useful information in the LifeWiki amid all the clutter.

However, your simulator/browser is also an editor, with more functionality than this simulator/editor for example, which is already listed in the simulator list in the LifeWiki:Life links article.

So I've added a link there to gameoflife.xyz -- thus neatly avoiding the self-advertising rule, but maybe making it unnecessary for you to do have trusted status after all. Well, you've got it anyway...!

I do have one minor suggestion:

Like its co.nz/gameoflife competition -- though not quite to the same degree -- if I try to scribble a large random starting pattern in gameoflife.xyz, I end up with a lot of disconnected dots. Disconnected dots don't make for very interesting simulations.

Several other editors (like Golly) draw straight lines from dot to dot when the mouse is moving too fast to register at intermediate locations. This makes for much quicker scribbling, and then much more entertaining explosions... which is the usual goal of scribbling.

(Yes, I could slow down and scribble more carefully, but where's the fun in that?)

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » January 23rd, 2019, 6:49 pm

dvgrn wrote:...your simulator/browser is also an editor, with more functionality than this simulator/editor for example, which is already listed in the simulator list in the LifeWiki:Life links article.
Meant to add: you mention on your About page wanting to add HashLife support to your project. If you don't already know about it, make sure to check out http://copy.sh/life/ higher up on the same list.

We're still kind of missing a really convenient online browser for even a fraction of the available Life patterns. Alan Hensel's Java applet from a couple of decades ago was good for its time, but hardly anyone can get Java to work in their browser any more.

http://copy.sh/life/ has a different take on a pattern browser -- fitting a lot more names on the screen at once than your 130 pages of templates, and allowing them to be browsed fairly quickly. But there's no filtering feature (which your Templates view is really good at)... so it suffers from the old Xlife problem of a very large pattern collection with different topics all jumbled together indiscriminately. Subfolders can be nice to have, in moderation.

calcyman

Post by calcyman » January 23rd, 2019, 8:33 pm

dvgrn wrote:I do have one minor suggestion:

Like its co.nz/gameoflife competition -- though not quite to the same degree -- if I try to scribble a large random starting pattern in gameoflife.xyz, I end up with a lot of disconnected dots. Disconnected dots don't make for very interesting simulations.

Several other editors (like Golly) draw straight lines from dot to dot when the mouse is moving too fast to register at intermediate locations. This makes for much quicker scribbling, and then much more entertaining explosions... which is the usual goal of scribbling.

(Yes, I could slow down and scribble more carefully, but where's the fun in that?)
For the benefit of anyone reading this thread, a good solution is Bresenham's line-drawing algorithm.
What do you do with ill crystallographers? Take them to the mono-clinic!

jimeh87

Post by jimeh87 » January 24th, 2019, 2:26 am

Thanks for adding it to the wiki! I just hope someone gets some enjoyment out of it :)
Very interesting idea! I never even considered that. I'll see if I can implement Bresenham's line-drawing algorithm as calcman suggested at some point in the future.
you mention on your About page wanting to add HashLife support to your project. If you don't already know about it, make sure to check out http://copy.sh/life/ higher up on the same list.
I have already actually. I love how easy it is to zoom in and out and that it implements hashlife. It's a very impressive site :)
...so it suffers from the old Xlife problem of a very large pattern collection with different topics all jumbled together indiscriminately.
I agree it needs some way to handle the quantity of patterns. I was thinking of some sort of tag system, but then I kind of abandoned it. If I'm feeling inspired I'll take another crack at it.

Thanks for all the great feedback. I added them as issues (https://github.com/Jimeh87/game-of-life/issues) so I don't lose track of them.

hugovdm

Post by hugovdm » January 24th, 2019, 9:38 am

Hi! I'd also like trusted status on the wiki. :) Thanks!

testitemqlstudop

Post by testitemqlstudop » January 24th, 2019, 1:06 pm

Can I be trusted?

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » January 24th, 2019, 1:37 pm

testitemqlstudop wrote:Can I be trusted?
hugovdm wrote:Hi! I'd also like trusted status on the wiki. :) Thanks!
Done (times two).
jimeh87 wrote:I agree it needs some way to handle the quantity of patterns. I was thinking of some sort of tag system, but then I kind of abandoned it. If I'm feeling inspired I'll take another crack at it.
One more note on this: the search function on your Template tab has an unusual feature that I think is really good. After a search is run, let's say for something like "caterer" or "frob", you immediately get pictures of all the matching patterns.

I can't think of any existing search functionality with visual results like that. The LifeWiki just shows text results for a search. Mark Niemiec's text search (the Simple option) just shows a list of text names, though at least you can click on each one and see a picture... if you have an uncommon amount of vertical screen space, anyway. Alan Hensel's Java app has a text-list pattern picker. Chris Rowett's original LifeView has a large pattern library with a visual interface, but no search function so you just have to scroll through patterns alphabetically one at a time with arrow keys or a scrollbar control... and so on.

Vertical screen space is also something of an issue with gameoflife.xyz visual results; it would be nice to be able to use up more horizontal space, when it's available. Or fit more results on a single laptop screen, some other way -- e.g., show thumbnail-sized images so that more than four are visible at once, maybe with a pop-up or central frame displaying a bigger view for the pattern of interest. Could signal interest via mouse click or mouse hover, I suppose. -- But now I'm really getting into wild feature requests.

It was also a nice idea to have the Templates view show a different random subset of patterns each time you refresh the page.

jimeh87

Post by jimeh87 » January 24th, 2019, 9:27 pm

Vertical screen space is also something of an issue with gameoflife.xyz visual results; it would be nice to be able to use up more horizontal space, when it's available. Or fit more results on a single laptop screen, some other way -- e.g., show thumbnail-sized images so that more than four are visible at once, maybe with a pop-up or central frame displaying a bigger view for the pattern of interest. Could signal interest via mouse click or mouse hover, I suppose. -- But now I'm really getting into wild feature requests.
No reason I couldn't make it span the whole page for bigger screens. I'll look into it. As for the pop up, I wouldn't want to do it to be on hover which currently triggers a preview or on click which currently triggers the preview on mobile. Usually if I find a super cool one, I click on the apply to board. Maybe I could just have a full screen option or something. I'll think about it.

It sounds like the search / template preview could be a differentiator if I give a it a little more love. I'll add your suggestions as issues and hopefully get to them soon :)

Moosey

Post by Moosey » January 29th, 2019, 6:04 pm

May I be trusted? Username also Moosey
not active here but active on discord

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » January 29th, 2019, 8:55 pm

Moosey wrote:May I be trusted? Username also Moosey
Done!

Hdjensofjfnen

Post by Hdjensofjfnen » February 12th, 2019, 9:55 pm

Can I also be trusted as a wiki editor? User name is User:Hdjensofjfnen, as usual.
Also, good thing we remedied this with the 'trusted' stuff. Before this I was seeing ads every 3 or 4 times I clicked "Random page".

Code: Select all

x = 5, y = 9, rule = B3-jqr/S01c2-in3
3bo$4bo$o2bo$2o2$2o$o2bo$4bo$3bo!

Code: Select all

x = 7, y = 5, rule = B3/S2-i3-y4i
4b3o$6bo$o3b3o$2o$bo!

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » February 13th, 2019, 8:50 am

Hdjensofjfnen wrote:Can I also be trusted as a wiki editor? User name is User:Hdjensofjfnen, as usual.
Also, good thing we remedied this with the 'trusted' stuff. Before this I was seeing ads every 3 or 4 times I clicked "Random page".
Done!

FlameandFury

Post by FlameandFury » February 15th, 2019, 10:56 pm

Could I also be trusted? Username is Flameandfury.
what is sesame oil?

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » February 15th, 2019, 11:20 pm

FlameandFury wrote:Could I also be trusted? Username is Flameandfury.
Done!

Entity Valkyrie 2

Post by Entity Valkyrie 2 » February 26th, 2019, 11:41 pm

I'm out...
I'm getting deprassion...
I have moved to my paradise...
Bx222 IS MY WORST ENEMY.

Please click here for my own pages.

My recent rules:
StateInvestigator 3.0
B3-kq4ej5i6ckn7e/S2-i34q6a7
B3-kq4ej5y6c/S2-i34q5e
Move the Box

bprentice

Post by bprentice » March 6th, 2019, 2:04 pm

Please set my bprentice account to trusted.

Brian Prentice

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » March 6th, 2019, 2:10 pm

bprentice wrote:Please set my bprentice account to trusted.

Brian Prentice
Done!

Entity Valkyrie

Post by Entity Valkyrie » March 22nd, 2019, 1:28 am

BTW, when is the trust expiry date?
It is bad etiquette to ask to be trusted before the expiry date.

BTW, if you trust Entity Valkyrie, can you trust Entity Valkyrie 2?

I will avoid re-editing if someone undoed my changes.

Entity Valkyrie (kicked out 2 days after my birthday, 24 Feb)

testitemqlstudop

Post by testitemqlstudop » March 22nd, 2019, 2:10 am

Wait what you were banned from forums?

Moosey

Post by Moosey » March 22nd, 2019, 9:09 am

testitemqlstudop wrote:Wait what you were banned from forums?
I know EV wasn’t, but they were untrusted on the wiki.

Entity Valkyrie

Post by Entity Valkyrie » March 22nd, 2019, 5:57 pm

No-one answered my question.

EDIT: I deleted Golly after I was banned.

Ian07

Post by Ian07 » March 22nd, 2019, 6:21 pm

Entity Valkyrie wrote:No-one answered my question.

EDIT: I deleted Golly after I was banned.
To answer your question, there is no expiry date. Also, "Entity Valkyrie 2" doesn't even exist on the wiki because forum accounts and wiki accounts are entirely separate in every way.

Moosey

Post by Moosey » March 22nd, 2019, 7:56 pm

Entity Valkyrie wrote:EDIT: I deleted Golly after I was banned.
You’re not banned from the forums or anything; why would you delete golly?

Entity Valkyrie

Post by Entity Valkyrie » March 23rd, 2019, 4:06 am

I said that I was banned from LifeWiki. When is the untrust expiry date?