Pet Peeves

A forum where anything goes. Introduce yourselves to other members of the forums, discuss how your name evolves when written out in the Game of Life, or just tell us how you found it. This is the forum for "non-academic" content.
Moosey

Re: Pet Peeves

Post by Moosey » February 2nd, 2019, 8:02 pm

wwei23 wrote:Having to press the okay button on a prompt saying something you're not okay with
Yeah, that just happened to me because the computer was backing up.
"You cannot open golly
Okay"

EDIT:
when you start a new page of discussion when you want something to be in context of the previous page
not active here but active on discord

Hunting

Post by Hunting » February 4th, 2019, 12:55 am

When you are going to post a thread named "idea for constructing Demonoid-like engineerable spaceship in OCA", but then you decide not to post it before you have an more specfic structure.

Several days passed. You noticed one orthogonoid was constructed in Dominoplex.

Moosey

Post by Moosey » February 6th, 2019, 9:25 am

When you learn something that would’ve been helpful to know earlier.

Hunting

Post by Hunting » February 6th, 2019, 10:10 am

Moosey wrote:When you learn something that would’ve been helpful to know earlier.
I was taking Calculus exam few days ago and forgot substitude method formula. Holy beep.

PkmnQ

Post by PkmnQ » February 7th, 2019, 1:09 am

WHEN YOUR INTERNET CONNECTION JUST GIVES UP AND ASKS YOU FOR THE PASSWORD AN INFINITE AMOUNT OF TIMES JUST BECAUSE YOU'RE 1 METER AWAY FROM THE ROUTER

dani

Post by dani » February 7th, 2019, 11:24 am

when people make new topics excessively

Moosey

Post by Moosey » February 7th, 2019, 12:26 pm

danny wrote:when people make new topics excessively
When you’re not sure if you’re the target of such a quote

Moosey

Post by Moosey » February 24th, 2019, 3:00 pm

When people think CGoL is a video game. You can make it into a video game, but it is a zero-player game and thus evades the defintion of video game (indeed, if you can even call a zero-player game a true game).
Also when a very old post has a table in it and you’re supposed to save it as xyz.table so you have to add an @RULE in front and then you need to add @TABLE and possibly @COLORS

Or, as a ruletable itself:

Code: Select all

@RULE in front and then you need to add
@TABLE
#and possibly 
@COLORS

mniemiec

Post by mniemiec » February 24th, 2019, 5:47 pm

Moosey wrote:When you’re not sure if you’re the target of such a quote
If you're not guilty of something, you can be pretty sure you're not the target of such a quote. If you're not sure, it means that maybe the shoe fits, and it's something you should think about.

Hunting

Post by Hunting » February 25th, 2019, 5:26 am

Moosey wrote:When people think CGoL is a video game. You can make it into a video game, but it is a zero-player game and thus evades the defintion of video game (indeed, if you can even call a zero-player game a true game).
Related: When your parents says "Conway's Game of Life is just a game" and don't let you to go on the forums.

dani

Post by dani » February 25th, 2019, 7:59 am

I would argue CGoL is a video game. A sophisticated one, yes, but a video game nonetheless. The game is seeing what you can make, the video is the movement of cells.

Moosey

Post by Moosey » February 25th, 2019, 9:16 am

danny wrote:I would argue CGoL is a video game. A sophisticated one, yes, but a video game nonetheless. The game is seeing what you can make, the video is the movement of cells.
That’s a fairly loose defintion for a video game, because if the game part is just providing input, then you could argue that watching cartoons is a video game because you have to find the cartoon.

Moosey

Post by Moosey » April 16th, 2019, 12:13 pm

Another pet peeve: when people clearly don’t know much at all about what they’re talking about, e.g.
http://www.conwaylife.com/wiki/File:Scr ... blocks.png

“A variant of the scrubber that uses blocks to stabilize it” piqued my interest, but when I looked at the file...

Code: Select all

#C does not work at all, because of b3n.
x = 11, y = 11, rule = B3/S23
5b2o$5b2o2$4b3o$2obo3bo$2obo3bob2o$3bo3bob2o$4b3o2$4b2o$4b2o!
[[ GPS 2 ]]

mniemiec

Post by mniemiec » April 16th, 2019, 4:36 pm

danny wrote:I would argue CGoL is a video game. A sophisticated one, yes, but a video game nonetheless. The game is seeing what you can make, the video is the movement of cells.
Yes, it might be considered as a video game now (and I recall at least two different actual commercial video games based on it - I think one was for the Commodore 64), it didn't start out that way. Back in the 1970s, we did Life by using checkers on a checkerboard, stones on a Go board, or pen or pencil on graph paper. Patterns were laboriously tracked by hand. A very small number of people actually had access to computer equipment to run Life. I remember when running the R pentomino to completion was a major breakthrough. I also remember when Dave Buckingham and I tried to track the PI heptomino by hand, each one of us tracked half of the pattern, but we gave up after a while when the two sides lost symmetry due to human error.

testitemqlstudop

Post by testitemqlstudop » April 16th, 2019, 11:36 pm

When 77topaz starts searching Snowflakes after a three (or was it four?) day hiatus due to my signature change.

Moosey

Post by Moosey » April 17th, 2019, 7:49 am

testitemqlstudop wrote:When 77topaz starts searching Snowflakes after a three (or was it four?) day hiatus due to my signature change.
EDIT, MORE RECENT THAN THE REST OF THIS POST:
At the time, testitemqlstudop’s signature was “SEARCH X3VI”

You’re just INVITING people to do the very opposite of searching X3VI.
One of my pet peeves is when you post something like
“That x reminds me of the y in X3VI”
In a completely different thread.

That was already getting on a lot of people’s nerves, but now you’ve changed your signature to put “SEARCH X3VI” everywhere. People are going to get fed up with it and stop.

What if I made my signature “SEARCH CREPERIE”? I’m sure that would irritate a good bit of people.

If you want to have someone search X3VI, go to the search request thread... hopefully somebody is going to do it, but at this point people may just answer with
Someone wrote:NO
In which case you’d have to search it on your own.

EDIT:
I can’t tell whether you actually want people to search snowflakes.

Moosey

Post by Moosey » August 1st, 2019, 10:54 am

When people say "glitch" instead of "bug" when they're referring to a bug

GUYTU6J

Post by GUYTU6J » August 1st, 2019, 12:03 pm

Moosey wrote:When people say "glitch" instead of "bug" when they're referring to a bug
An error? A malfunction?

Moosey

Post by Moosey » August 1st, 2019, 1:00 pm

GUYTU6J wrote:
Moosey wrote:When people say "glitch" instead of "bug" when they're referring to a bug
An error? A malfunction?
Those terms are both fine for either but I really really hate it when someone calls a recurring issue a glitch the definition I know is that a glitch is a temporary error and not a recurring one; sometimes they're due to freak accidents like bit flips, etc.
A bug is an issue that is repeatable; often they're due to, say, developers overlooking something in code or similar incidents.

testitemqlstudop

Post by testitemqlstudop » August 1st, 2019, 7:37 pm

A bug is a living organism that resides and nests in billions of lines of source code and reproduces when you attempt to refactor your code

mniemiec

Post by mniemiec » August 1st, 2019, 9:29 pm

Glitches are usually caused by bugs (as otherwise robust error-free code always executes without error). Glitches are rare, occasional, seemingly random occurrences. They are usually the result of bugs that are obscure and rarely invoked.

Once, many years ago, a friend of mine who writes financial software had a weird seemingly random glitch in his software. It always worked correctly, except it would inexplicably crash when certain erroneous data was input, and only in a very specific order. He analyzed his code, and found no errors - so he suspected that the error was in the Microsoft run time library. Unfortunately, you don't go to your client, a Fortune 500 company, and say "My code is correct, and Microsoft's code has bugs" unless you can actually show them the smoking gun.

He hired me to find the smoking gun. It turned out that there as a minor error in the Microsoft run-time date parsing routine - when passed an incorrect date, it would access one byte of memory beyond the end of the input string before returning an error. This was harmless 99.9% of the time, but threw an exception if the input string just happened to be at the very last byte of memory.

Proving that there was an error in the MS runtime library was the justification my friend needed to convince his clients that it was worthwhile to fund the migration to a newer version of the language. (They also paid me $4K for 16 hours work - the most I have ever been paid in my entire life. Banks have lots of money, when they're willing to part with it!)

Gustone

Post by Gustone » August 2nd, 2019, 6:44 am

GOL is a video game where you make things

Moosey

Post by Moosey » August 2nd, 2019, 8:50 am

mniemiec wrote:Glitches are usually caused by bugs (as otherwise robust error-free code always executes without error). Glitches are rare, occasional, seemingly random occurrences. They are usually the result of bugs that are obscure and rarely invoked.
Oh, thanks for the clarification!
By what you say it seems sorta like what I thought but they may recur occasionally.

Moosey

Post by Moosey » August 14th, 2019, 7:20 pm

New pet peeve-- when your school schedule is an A/B schedule (you have a schedule for an "A day" and then one for your "B day") and the A day instructor releases homework on a B day in the afternoon and you have to rush to complete all the calculus homework.

testitemqlstudop

Post by testitemqlstudop » September 4th, 2019, 3:50 am

When my computer consistently connects to my 2.4 Ghz wifi when I always want it to connect to the 5 Ghz wifi

And also using non-page-breaking Aidan mode manipulatively